Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
Quick question about surround sound systems.

I've got a Sony 5.1 surround system (well, it's at least similar to that one) that's been working pretty drat well for me. I finally decided to upgrade the wiring from the little stuff that comes with it to some Monster cable that my brother had left over. Now I've read certain places that Monster isn't really worth it and Im not sure what the consensus is here but the bottom line is that it was free.

So anyway, everything is all set, all the speakers and the sub work (I tested it first with the television because the baseball game was on). So I throw in a movie, I picked gladiator because it has an eventful first few minutes. Now previously using the DTS option worked quite well and gave me much better sound that regular 5.1 Surround, so I tried that. Once things started to get loud the sound cut out and the display on the receiver said "Protect." This happened no matter how low the volume was.

So I tried it without DTS. The sound still cut out at a really low volume and said "Protect."

My buddies then threw in a concert DVD and this worked at a really high volume without any problems.

Then I put in Kingdom of Heaven (the overture on the directors cut is loud and cool) and tried it without DTS. At volume 60 (the max is 70), it seemed to work for quite a while. I tried to push it up to 65 and it cut out and said "Protect." I went to 61 and it cut out after a minute and did the Protect error.

So I'm curious, what exactly is the "Protect" error. Unfortunately I can't find my manual and google wasn't much help.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
Well I solved my problem this morning and proved my relative eletrical ineptitude in the process.

When I wired everything I stripped way too much cable and there was far too much copper exposed on each end. So when all was said it down there was all sorts of exposed copper strays fondling and each other. Which lead to the "Protect" error.

So this morning I went through and snipped everything down so if you look at the back of either the speakers or the receiver there is not a single bit of copper visible.

I threw in Gladiator, turned on DTS and pumped it up to 60 and reveled in the pure, uninterupted aural glory.