Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Korwen posted:

I have recently started ripping CDs I own for their sweet sweet songs, and I have a question about bitrate.

Currently I'm using LAME 3.97 and EAC to rip it at a VBR that averages around ~240-260kbps for the songs. I picked a pretty serious bitrate because, well, bigger is better, right?

That's the question, is more or less 240kbps while hardly dropping below 200 an excessive waste of space, inflating my mp3 file's size?

Any CD I've purchased in the past two or three years, I've ripped to 320kbps. Some people will tell you that's pointless, and others will say "if you're going for quality why not go lossless?" Personally, I made the decision based on a number of factors, including: Quality-to-filesize ratio, and compatibility with friends who are audio/tech laymen. Generally, unless the recording is craptacular anyway, I can tell the difference between my MP3s and CDs.

I can't verify this, but I HAVE heard from some people that it's not entirely the bitrate that matters, but the encoder. I've heard from the same people that the LAME encoder tends to be the best there is, so you should be fine.

Like SkaWes pointed out, it's all personal preference. Some people are fine listening to 192kbps MP3s; I think such a low bitrate turns every cymbal into a lovely splash. I tolerate my MP3s, and your tolerance and criteria may be different. Again, to paraphrase SkaWes, experiment and use the settings YOU like.

On a completely unrelated note, this is my first post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not sure if this is the right thread for it but I'll try anyway. I just upgraded my home theatre system to a 55" LG LED TV and an Onkyo HT-R494 receiver. I also grabbed a Logitech Harmony universal remote to tie everything together and it's doing a fairly nice job, but I'm having one issue and I'm wondering if it's even possible to solve through the remote and the Onkyo unit:

I've got a computer connected to one of the receiver's HDMI ins and its optical audio input. The TV is also connected to the receiver via ARC. Apparently on the receiver, optical and ARC audio ins can't be enabled simultaneously. This means if I switch to the computer as an input source, I have to use the Onkyo remote and menu-dive a bit to switch the audio input from ARC to optical, and vice-versa if I want to use the TV as the audio source.

Is there a workaround for this? Seems like there may be a way to setup the Logitech remote to take a bunch of steps that simulate the manual menu-diving and switch the input, but I'm wondering if there's a faster way.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's an older Mac and I don't think the video card will support that.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So I think I have my receiver issue sorted out. For some reason the computer didn't agree with one of my optical cables, so I switched it out with the one connected to the TV and everything seems to work.

But I'm having another somewhat disconcerting issue with the reciever: when I switch to the Bluetooth input via my Harmony remote, the Onkyo receiver... turns off. Could this be a power draw issue; does Bluetooth require more juice to connect? I am drawing a lot of power in this room.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

EL BROMANCE posted:

What if you don’t use the harmony remote, maybe it’s sending the wrong signal and that’s causing the shutdown.

That just occurred to me too, there's an option chart in the Harmony's setup app that allows you to program button sequences. it's possible I accidentally added some stupid button press that's turning the unit off. I'll check when I get home, thanks!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm having a real peculiar issue with my receiver and can't think of a better thread to post it.

The other day I couldn't get any sound out of my NVidia Shield. It's connected to my Onkyo receiver, as is everything else. It was definitely either the Shield or the receiver. I narrowed the issue down to... something to do with 'fixed volume'/IR/CEC settings, and I fiddled with those things and ended up getting it working, but honestly not sure how. Thing is, now audio from my PS4 (and presumably other sources too) is choppy and staticy - I can make out the PS4 menu music but it's chopped by consistent 1/2-second bursts of static and sounds bitcrushed. What is going on here? Is there a way to hard reset my receiver to fix this?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

evobatman posted:

Hold the power button for anywhere from 5-30 seconds, you should hear some heavy clicking and thunking as it resets.

Also, pull the power plugs for your TV, the receiver and the Shield and plug them back in again.

Thanks, this worked. I wasn't actually sure if the receiver was resetting as it didn't click and thunk as much as you said - just once or twice. But everything seems to be working so far. I was browsing some Denon receivers, and speakers that I probably couldn't afford late last night, but it's a relief to know that I probably won't need to do any of that yet.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's doing it again. :( Worked fine last night after I tried pulling all the AC cables and holding the power button on the Onkyo receiver, but it's back in full force. Does this mean the receiver is dying?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I asked this in the Vinyl Thread in NMD but nobody was biting :rolleyes: so here we go:

The way stereo information is encoded in the groove of a record is diagonal, correct? I mean, the groove moves up and down and left and right, but the contacts inside the stylus are in an X pattern, are they not? So one diagonal axis is the L channel, and the other is R?

I was under the impression that this is how vinyl became a stereo format that still retained compatibility with mono records. Essentially the summing/difference going on inside the stylus is something akin to a Mid-Side matrix, and because of that, if you play a mono record on a stereo turntable, the information sums in a way that's not destructive.

Am I somewhere in the ballpark of right here, or have I gotten something twisted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, a lot of film (and even TV) these days is mixed with a ridiculously wide dynamic range. It's almost like they're mixing it in a large studio for the theatre, and completely forgetting that people will also watch it at home. Mederlock is right on the money; what you're looking for is a 'Night Mode' or similarly-named setting which is basically just a limiter. Anything over a certain volume threshold gets squashed down but the quieter stuff remains untouched. I was pretty mad at myself for forgetting about this feature when I bought my receiver (without it).

VLC has an actual comp/limiter with adjustable settings - sometimes I miss my old 'tower running VLC connected to TV' setup.