Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
My receiver can play in two zones, and I see newer receivers that have three zones. Its just a matter of running speaker cable to the other zones?

Also, HDBaseT. If a receiver has one of those, from the wiki its basically just an HDMI cable equivalent that lets you go 100 meters? What would be the use of that other than the extra distance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I highly recommend buying used receivers and speakers from Craigslist. You can find really good stuff for 75%+ off original msrp. Just ask to hear them plugged in before you hand over the money. I've had really good luck getting great items.

$500 receivers from 5 years ago are often sold for $150 today.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Budget of 200-300 and you recommend 400?

I agree with Edifier speakers, just get whichever model you want. I have the Edifier R1700BT, they sound decent for the price.

e: before that I had the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX, the Edifers are a clear step up.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 17, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

bird with big dick posted:

It was $359 when I recommended it he could probably find another $59 somewhere.

e: says 359 for me right now.

Your link says $399 for me :mad:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Flipperwaldt posted:

It says join prime to get this item at $359.99 :ms:

$339.99 upon approval for Amazon Visa.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

You shouldn't need a subwoofer to listen to music.

Those ADAM AUDIO T5V show:
Total RMS Amp. Power: 70 W
Frequency Response: 45 Hz - 25 kHz (-6 dB)

The JBL LSR305:
41 W Class D
Frequency Range 43 Hz-24 kHz

That is plenty of bass

e: Looked up that subwoofer: 40Hz~160Hz (Subwoofer)
Better quality speakers ALWAYS sound better than cheap speakers + sub

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 17, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

KillHour posted:

Totally depends on your taste in music but I would say even classical can make use of a good subwoofer.

For a lot of the stuff I listen to and for what I get out of it (i.e., my personal tastes in enjoyment), the sub bass is a huge part, if not the focus.

I know everyone is on the same page but it bears repeating for the people who might be newer to audio - you're buying this stuff for your own enjoyment and that's all that matters.

I agree that a good subwoofer can help speakers. I was pointing out that specific cheap subwoofer had basically the same low frequency range as slightly better quality speakers.

$200 speakers with a $200 subwoofer is going to be worse than just $400 speakers (for the most part). I'm just talking in generalities. Sound is very subjective.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I'm just speaking from personal experience, I've had 2.1 computer speakers and 2.0 computer speakers, both at the same price level. The 2.0 speakers sound SO much better. I listen to a ton of hip hop too.

I haven't listened to the exact model of speakers listed though, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

BigFactory posted:

I don’t t think anyone is recommending using a lovely sub that comes packed with computer speakers, or anything advertised as a computer speaker.

Edifier is a computer speaker brand, it comes with a 3.5mm cable....

Any $200 sub, by definition is "a lovely sub" I don't know how you could make something quality at that price point

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

BigFactory posted:

You can get nice used subs for $200

The conversation is about brand new equipment.

e: idk, even used, a I wouldn't call a $200 sub "nice"

e: ok, I looked it up, you can get something like a JBL PSW-1000 or Klipsch KSW12 for <$200

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 19, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

BigFactory posted:

Why? I don’t know why anyone would buy new audio gear when there’s so much used out there. It’s wasteful

I agree 100%

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

bird with big dick posted:

In the same way that any powered $150 speaker is by definition a lovely speaker.

Not disagreeing with that.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

KozmoNaut posted:

The Presonus Eris Sub8 is ~$200 and by all accounts a pretty decent sub, within the limitations of a ported design with an 8" driver. It's got the proper controls for phase and LPF, balanced in/outputs and a built-in 80Hz HPF for satellite speakers.

I've considered getting one in combination with a set of Eris E3.5s or E4.5s for my desk setup.

I'm sure it would sound good for that price point.

If it was my money, just like powderific said, I personally would put my money towards two better quality front main speakers, versus splitting the money on a sub and 2 speaker. You might get a few db less bass, but the rest of the audio should be much improved.

Sounds is very subjective, that is just my personal preference.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Tetraptous posted:

I just bought an LG C2 TV, but can’t for the life of me get it to send audio to my now quite old Onkyo NR-TX525 receiver. The TV is more than capable of accepting all of the HDMI inputs I require and the interface is agreeing with me, so I’d like to use the the receiver as an amplifier for whatever audio the TV passes it, rather than plug all of the sources into the receiver.

As far as I can tell, I have two options, neither of which I can get working. The receiver claims to support ARC, but this doesn’t seem to do anything. I’ve set the TV’s audio output (HDMI 2) to ARC and connected it to the HDMI Out (supposedly ARC enabled) port on the receiver, and enabled CEC and ARC on that end. But nothing seems to happen on that end. Could it just be that the receiver is too old to support whatever the TV is doing? Or could I have the wrong kind of cable?

The other option is optical SPDIF. Here, I’ve likewise connected the receiver and TV using a new optical cable. When I set the receiver to expect digital audio through the optical port and then enable the output on the TV, I do hear a relay going, so it seems like something happens, but no sound is produced. I’ve tried the PCM, Auto, and Pass Through settings on the TV, but none work. I’d have though this should just work, but no dice so far. Any technical reason I should expect this? Note that the optical cable doesn’t seem to click into the TV side very well—is it possible poor seating is doing something?

Any advice appreciated here! Worst case, I would be willing to buy a new receiver, but all I really want is a dumb amplifier that can distribute surround signals to my speakers.

Are you sure the HDMI 2 port supports ARC? On mine its only the HDMI 1, same with my receiver. I have multiple input/output HDMI ports, but only one of them supports ARC.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

From the Onkyo NR-TX525 manual

e: and for the TV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAv31r4HExw&t=418s

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 29, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Apparently I have a "ground loop" when I plug my subwoofer into my receiver there is a low hum. I just had my entire fuse box replaced and they ran two new grounding cables in different directions.

If I power off the sub, no hum. With power on, if I disconnect the RCA cable from the subwoofer, no hum. I've tried two different RCA cables. And I've tried plugging the subwoofer into a different outlet.

I wish I knew more about electricity, another audio forum wants me to buy $150
https://www.parts-express.com/Jensen-Iso-Max-SUB-1RR-Mono-Subwoofer-Line-Input-Isolator-Hu-246-0118?quantity=1

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

qirex posted:

I guess my one question is do we need the home audio thread separate? Basically the same stuff gets posted in both.

I don't think this thread moves fast enough to break it up into multiple threads, but probably wouldn't hurt either.