Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

I currently have a surround sound system that does a decent job, but I am looking to upgrade the receiver seeing as I already have speakers. I am wanting to get something that has HDMI inputs on it. It doesn't need to be some high dollar receiver, just one that does a good job and has HDMI inputs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Korwen posted:

That's the question, is more or less 240kbps while hardly dropping below 200 an excessive waste of space, inflating my mp3 file's size?

That's going to depend heavily on who you ask. Some people will tell you to always rip your CD's at 320CBR with no exceptions because YOUR MUSIC HAS TO HAVE MORE BITS!

Me personally, I cannot tell the difference between a 320 & 128 MP3 file, so I rip everything at 128 and it works just fine for me. If the same is true for you, then rip them at whatever the lowest bitrate that sounds good to you is.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Does anyone have any experience with these speakers?

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=12000&i=065HS450B&search=Boston+Acoustics+HS+450&tp=185

The price is decent and Sound & Vision seems to like them, and they seem to be about the right size for a standard sized living room.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

I seem to be having a problem with my sub woofer on my surround sound system, it doesn't seem to be putting out much, if any, bass. I checked the settings on the receiver and cranked the bass to the max, i cranked the dial on the sub itself to max, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I checked the cables, they are all good, when I unplug the audio cord going to the sub it makes a hum sound so it seems to be putting out some sound, just not when I want it to.

Am I missing anything here? 99.9% of the sound coming through the receiver is all optical audio, I don't know what's left to check. :smith:

EDIT: I just realized that I had a DVD with the THX optomizer on it, so I ran it and no sound comes from the sub at all during the test. Is there a way to determine if its the sub or if it's my receiver?

Mode 7 Samurai fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 23, 2007

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Pibborando San posted:

If it's humming when you unplug the sub cable, something might be wrong with the amp. I'd call the manufacturer.

I should clarify it's not when you pull it straight in and out of the jack, it's if it hits the outside of the plug. (I assume it's grounding out?)

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Welp this is pretty embarrassing but apparently my sub was plugged in to the wrong jack. I recently got a new TV a few months a go and when I hooked it up, I must have plugged it in to the wrong jack. :doh:

Where I have the receiver I can't slide it out without disconnecting every wire hooked up to it. I went online and found the manual and noticed that the plug I had the sub plugged in to is not for the sub. Looks like the mystery is solved.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

I am thinking about getting the TX-SR605 to use with my PS3, and I have 3 questions.

1.) Will the PS3 do TrueHD through the receiver?
2.) How is TrueHD compare to DTS?
3.) Will I have to worry about audio lag over HDMI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

SkaWes posted:

I am thinking about getting the TX-SR605 to use with my PS3, and I have 3 questions.

2.) How is TrueHD compare to DTS?

This is the only question I haven't found an answer to, I am not sure if it is worth it to upgrade the receiver if TrueHD doesn't sound much better then regular old DTS. (And by DTS I mean the old DTS which I think they are now calling DTS Core, NOT DTS Master Track)