Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noface
Jun 19, 2002

Is there a large difference between optical outputs versus an HDMI audio output?

Or more specifically, the receiver in question is a Sony STR-DA2ES from a few years back. Now that a Blu-ray player is involved, is it time to upgrade the receiver to take advantage of snazzy uncompressed PCM audio (or TrueHD... so many new buzzwords to learn about)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noface
Jun 19, 2002

So I purchased a Pioneer VSX-820 and a pair of Sennheiser HD595s this week, but am unable to hear anything through the headphone jack on the receiver. The connection setup is simple... one HDMI input from either a 360 or a PS3 (tried both) and one HDMI output to my television.

Video is passed no problem, and I can even toggled AMP/THRU options on the receiver and hear sound through the TV if I select THRU. AMP, however, produces no sound through the headphone jack seemingly regardless of which option I select. I've not purchased speakers yet so I can't test those, but this is frustrating. Haven't found much useful info in the manual or online, so I'm hoping someone can enlighten me. Do I need a DAC for what I'm trying to do?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Edit: Tried getting everything ready with the PS3 while on hold for Pioneer support, and I had audio without changing anything. Switched cables back to the 360 and while it detects a Dolby Digital signal (icon lights up) I get nothing but faint clicks and pops when I plug the phones in. Totally stumped now.

noface fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 23, 2011

noface
Jun 19, 2002

chedemefedeme posted:

Do you have any way to tell (level meters on the front or on screen, old/other speakers) if your amp is functional or supports the codec your devices are sending to it properly? That'd stop your show right quick if it didn't support or was just flat doa.

You should not need a DAC for the headphones..your amp is a big multi channel DAC.

Tomorrow or Friday I can try a few other, non-HDMI sources to see what kind of results I get. Curious if the PS3 will output properly again if I switch the cables back. Honestly though, the 360 seems to be sending a Dolby Digital signal to the receiver (the icon lights up) but it doesn't seem to want to play nice with the headphones. I'm leaning towards returning it and going with an Onkyo instead, as I can't imagine something this seemingly simple should be giving me such problems.