Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david06
Nov 27, 2002
One of my roommates for next year is also into computer/tech/AV stuff, and our apartment will have a decent sized living room, so we're building speakers and between the two of us putting together a decent 5.1 setup with HDTV. I have a question about cables. I know this is controversial, but I am extremely skeptical of any cable claims I hear.

We are college students and in no way interested in spending a lot of money on cables. To sum up his position and my position on speaker cabling:

Me: I'd just buy enough "12AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Cable - 100ft" at ~$30/spool from Monoprice to hook all the speakers up.

Him: He is pushing some sort of homemade solution with three Cat5 cables braided somehow to form a two-conductor speaker cable. He has spoken nebulously about ABX testing confirming it's equal to speaker wire which costs hundreds of dollars and is insistant that this stuff is better than plain 12AWG wire.

Which is closer to the truth (where truth is defined as something that can be backed up with verifiable, repeatable experimentation, not simply an audiophile theory)?

If there is any merit in high-priced speaker wire, can someone explain to an audio n00b what properties of a wire can contribute to better sound? Essentially, everything about the acoustic properties of speaker wire seems to be clouded in a lot of bullshit. It would be easy to explain, say, the effect of using different gauge wiring, based on actual physics and electronics. Can someone explain the merits, if any, of high-priced/strangely-braided homemade wiring in the same way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU