Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Would I be able to "upgrade" a pair of Bose 301 Series IV speakers with a better set of 8" drivers, a pair of 3" and 2" tweeters or should I just look elsewhere for a new set of speakers?

Also how lovely are Sony STR-DE698s? I found one for $100 on Craigslist maybe and I'm looking to replace my 7 year old STR-DE545 that has a bum right channel. I was told to look for a Pioneer VSX-D914-K, but I can't find any used ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
how lovely is the Polk Audio Monitor series? I'm looking for something to go with my new 46" LCD that isn't silly expensive and the Polk Monitor 60s look like a good bet after checking them out at my local Fry's. I'm just getting the two front channel right now, and will be expanding to full 5.1 (6.1? 7.1?) after I move in a few months. Are the Monitor 60s big enough where I won't need to buy a powered sub right away?

Anything better in the price range that I should be looking at?

What kind of receiver would be a good match for these? I hear the H/K AVR series is great for the money. Assume I don't want to spend any more than I have to (~$350)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

.Nathan. posted:

if you've never bought anything there before you'll get a nice discount on your purchase as well.
how does this work?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

.Nathan. posted:

You just sign up an account like any other place, and depending on what you buy or what specials they have going on i think you'll get $10 off for just registering an account and then once you're logged in the prices will usually be $10 less on a few models. Unfortunately it looks like you just missed the 10% off St. Patrick's Day sale. If you want HDMI and 7.1 then the TX-SR505 for ~$180 is an amazing deal, but the TX-SR304 for ~$100 is also very nice value for money. The 304 only has two digital inputs though, so if you plan on using digital audio with more than just your PS3 and PC it won't be ideal.
okay I really don't get the whole HDMI audio thing on the SR505 that everybody is complaining about at Amazon. Am I going to have to run the HDMI cable from the console to the TV and then a toslink cable from the console from the console to the receiver? I don't really follow

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Innominatus posted:

Usage is split pretty evenly between music and movies, with a slight emphasis on music. My home theater room is about 2850 cubic feet. I'm pretty torn at this point between an eD A2-300 and a HSU STF-2. I think the eD might fill out the room better, while I've heard the HSU is more "musical".
I was debating between these two subs as well, and I ended up going with the Hsu after trying to fix a 18"x18"x21.5" box in my living room and realizing that the A2-300 is ungodly freaking ridiculous massive. However, you're working with a much bigger space, so in your case I think the eD might be the best choice for the price range. The A2-300 is a lot of subwoofer for $315.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Innominatus posted:

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, I think I need to start a new thread. After doing some more reading, I've been convinced to move to the next tier up due to the size of the room, and trying to make a decision is becoming very frustrating. Now I'm looking at a HSU VTF-2 MK3, but who knows...
if you have the scratch and the space, you're not going to regret going up to a bigger sub.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
does anybody make a iphone -> RCA cable or an iphone -> female miniplug adpater that doesn't cost fourty drat dollars? I was kinda bummed not to find anything at monoprice

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

shrike82 posted:

Do USB/DACs have a big impact on the listening experience? I listen to my iTunes collection through my Macbook and Grado SR80s. Browsing through head-fi and seeing them rave about USB/DACs, I wonder if I'm missing out on something.

What do you guys think? Are $200-500 USB/DACs worth the money?
I noticed a difference immediately, but that might have something to do with all the headphone out ports on my laptops have been especially noisy. If you want something that will give you a taste of the USB DAC "experience" but won't break the bank, the EMU 0202 is supposed to be a real winner among the "anti-audiophile" sciencey types at head-fi from what I've read over there

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

qirex posted:

Unless you're referring to some tiny subsection of that site far away from the "double-blind testing is banned" folks.
yeah basically. the sound science section is as close to reasonable/academic as you're going to get for hobbyist audio stuff

still can't believe DBT is banned in that one forum. wait yes I can.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Suqit posted:

the wife wanted a clean look, so we compromised.
i bet she made you put the TV over the fireplace, too

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

illcendiary posted:

My parents are in town this weekend, and last night my dad bought some audio equipment off some dude in a van. It is a Paramax P-510 system, and I am more than sure it is a piece of garbage (I'm really glad my dad only paid $100).
holy poo poo people are STILL doing this? my roommate freshman year got sucked by this poo poo 8 years ago

actually this shouldnt' be so surprising. people have been greedy suckers since time immemorial - why should they change in the last decade?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
if it needs to be occasionally portable then get the Audio Advantage. I have one (but I don't use it after getting an ibasso d2+), and it is no bigger than a thumbdrive.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

dawiyo posted:

Want to sell me the Audio Advantage one?
nope!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
does anyone make a good table radio that isn't made in fukkn china? I wouldn't mind tracking down a used something or other

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KozmoNaut posted:

Tivoli makes some pretty well-designed and well-regarded radios
yeah, in china

i'm in the us and all i want is an FM/AM radio. no bluetooth, CD, etc necessary. just something with a great design

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KozmoNaut posted:

Designed in the US, though.
that's the worst kind of poo poo. gently caress that apple business model

KozmoNaut posted:

Finding something affordable that's actually put together in the US is probably going to be hard.
i didn't specify "affordable"

KozmoNaut posted:

An old US-built Marantz or similar in good condition can probably be found for less than a new radio would cost.
did they make those small? all the ones I've seen are big receiver size. if they made a small one, an old Marantz would be great.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Does it have to be a digital tuner?
nope. the current radio is some old wood veneer Sony job, but I'm looking for something well designed that would work better in my parent's kitchen as a gift. (no more fake wood please)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

japtor posted:

What about something made in fukkn Japan or Korea or something? Just checking if it has to be made in the USA or just not China.
just Not China. however it is tempting to troll you fools and get my mom a bose wave radio however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Denon is rolling out their 2023 receivers, so the AVR-S660H and the VR-X1700H are going for cheap. The 660H is going for $370 (or ~$290 open box) while the X1700H is ~$530 or ~$450 for open box, which was too good for me to pass up to replace my Onkyo TX-NR656