Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I've got an LCD TV (specifically an Olevia LT42HVI), and it uses normal speaker wire to connect the speakers to the TV. The speakers themselves are okay, but nothing particularly great. I was wondering if it was at all a good idea to buy a pair of cheaper bookshelf speakers, and hook them up to the TV instead.

The total wattage rating of the speakers connected to the TV right now is 50 watts, so I'm guessing it should at least power some bookshelf speakers decently. I eventually want to get a receiver, but it's not in the budget right now. Would this be worth pursuing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I'd like to have good sounding microphone audio while not wearing a headset in Zoom/Google Meet. Would my best option be a condenser mic on an arm, hooked into an interface like a Scarlett Solo? It would need to work with both a Mac and a PC using a USB switch.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

So maybe I oversold the desire for good mic audio. I basically just want it to sound better than webcam audio so I don't sound like I've got the sewer sound effect turned up on my Soundblaster.

I already use a headset and after 5 hours of meetings in a row in the summer it's a hot pain in the rear end. I'd rather wear headphones than earbuds though. I just want something that sounds decent while not having to wear headphones for hours every day. The echo cancellation seems pretty good on Zoom/Meet these days though. I don't really hear echoing from others even when they're using webcam mics.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Stereo 1/8" TRS (headphone) to Two Mono 1/4" TS Cable will do the job and should let you control the volume. Make sure you get a cable that splits the mono cables and doesn't glue them together.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I don't know why cleaning knobs would fix audio quality coming out of the speakers and headphones. That receiver sounds hosed.