Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Does anybody know where I can get a pair of replacement woofers for my Infinity RS 4000 A speakers? The foam surrounds have rotted out from years of being in somebody's basement and my love for volume has begun to disintegrate them.

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

BAN ME PLEASE posted:

Does anybody know where I can get a pair of replacement woofers for my Infinity RS 4000 A speakers? The foam surrounds have rotted out from years of being in somebody's basement and my love for volume has begun to disintegrate them.

Anybody?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Does anybody know where I would be able to find replacement drivers for a pair of Infinity RS 4000 bookshelves? Mine have an 8" woofer and both the surrounds are completely rotted out and I'd prefer to replace rather than refoam. I've looked on e-bay but found nothing but emit tweeters/midrange drivers for sale - all thats available for the woofers is refoam kits.

For reference, here are the speakers I'm referring to:
http://www.infinity-classics.de/infinity/models/Reference-x000-series-1988/index-Reference-x000.htm (and click RS 4000)

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
i have a harman kardon avr20II receiver that was working beautifully until this afternoon. it lives in my vehicles trunk powering a pair of tower speakers because i'm a cheap gently caress and got it for free. the normally green led for the power button is now red and the unit will not power on. i opened it up, destaticified myself and checked all four fuses (there may be more but i saw no others) with my DMM - they're all good. no water has leaked into the trunk and i keep it relatively well secured and protected from most shocks (road and electrical).

any ideas on whats wrong or what i should check next?

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 27, 2010

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Beast Pussy posted:

i have a harman kardon avr20II receiver that was working beautifully until this afternoon. it lives in my vehicles trunk powering a pair of tower speakers because i'm a cheap gently caress and got it for free. the normally green led for the power button is now red and the unit will not power on. i opened it up, destaticified myself and checked all four fuses (there may be more but i saw no others) with my DMM - they're all good. no water has leaked into the trunk and i keep it relatively well secured and protected from most shocks (road and electrical).

any ideas on whats wrong or what i should check next?

nobody has any ideas on this? i'm thinking of just scouring craigslist for a cheapo receiver to replace it but would prefer to fix this if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
some notes:

eddiewalker posted:

Wait, you were serious? You're using a home theater receiver in a car with an inverter, and called that clean power? Further, now that it's busted, you want to pay to keep the same setup?
•yes, i'm serious. the receiver was usually secured in place to the left of the speakers.

•yes, i'm willing to spend like $50 max on a new (used) receiver to replace it if i can't repair it because amazingly enough, the setup actually sounds pretty drat good (the speakers are made to make good bass and thats all i use it for since they suit my musical tastes very well)

quote:

Your inverter probably isn't up to the task of powering a receiver, and that probably killed it. I mean, my midrange receiver dims the lights in my house when it powers up, but you're going from chemical to mechanical to AC to 14VDC, back to AC at 120v, then the receiver is rectifying it back to DC.
•i used an inverter that puts out double the max wattage the receiver can put out & wired it straight to battery so yes i believe it is well up to the task.
•yes i know the power flow of vehicle electrical systems and what's happening where with it. i haven't just stumbled into this stupid venture blindly.

quote:

Get a cheap amp made to run in a car.
•an auto specific amp, from what i've seen, is more money than i'm able to spend. seriously, if i had the money for it do you think i'd be using a setup like this? aside from that, i really do not want to tear apart some of the interior just to wire it properly nor can i pay somebody to do it.

i suspect the culprit is the heat, since the day it went bust was one of the hotter ones as of late, and my car had been sitting in the sun baking all day - the heat blast as i opened the door was incredible and that alone should have told me to at least fold down a rear seat to quickly vent the trunk as i usually do but i was in a hurry.

is there any way to find and replace heat damaged components inside a receiver? i'm talking about smelling around for that burnt electronics smell, finding bad capacitors, etc.

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 2, 2010