Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

dancavallaro posted:

I recently had a Technics receiver crap out, and it's time for a new one. I'm looking for something $300 or under, and it does not have to be extremely fancy. Right now we only have 2 speakers, no subwoofer. This works fine, but is there a relatively inexpensive way to upgrade to, say, 4.1/5.1? Also, are these package deals any good, like the Sony HT-DDW900, which comes with a receiver and 5 speakers + sub, or am I better off buying everything individually?

I just got a Denon 1507 at a Best Buy Magnolia store near my house for $329.00, I couldn't be happier with it. It's got a Burr-Brown DAC, 7 x 75W of clean power, and the headphone jack sounds great, everything I needed basically. No HDMI but personally I'll get by fine with component conections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

uncut product posted:

What are my options for powered, shielded monitors for under $200?

Check the selection at Musician's Friend. Make sure you call first to see if the monitors come in a pair or singles, some of the listings aren't clear.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Baby Killer posted:

I've decided I wanted to get into collecting records after going through a bunch of my parents records in their basement. Right now I have their old turntable, but I will probably upgrade to a better turntable later.

My stereo is my computer speakers so I want to output the phono to my soundcard, but I need a preamp. What are some decent preamps? Is there any brand I should stay away from? I'm not looking for something super expensive right now, I just want to play old records, but I'm willing to spend what I need so I don't have to buy a new preamp after I get a better record player.

I did a lot of research on this when I got into vinyl 6 or so months ago. The best deal going is the $50 BBE FJB-200X preamp.

BBE is a great name in pro audio and that preamp has very nice specs and is made very well. I couldn't be happier with it honestly.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
^ Mini jack to mini jack, male to male (1/8" headphone patch cable like this one) in whatever length you need and whatever quality you want (I don't buy the gold ones, it was just the first one I found).

You'll run it from the headphone jack on the laptop to the front or rear panel mini jack inputs on the receiver you linked.

You can also go male 1/8" mini jack to male stereo rca plugs (edit: like the one linked below my post) and run the rca plugs into the back of your receiver in one of the unused inputs (aux, cd, tape, whatever you're not using).

Owsla fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 12, 2007

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

.Nathan. posted:

The Mirage Omni 150s are on sale and offer great value for money. Their design should fill up your room a little more than other speaker types, and for $140 from Vanns they can't be beat. They're also small enough to easily mount on your wall. http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542280291

That looks like a crazy deal for what appear to be pretty well reviewed speakers. Has anyone here heard them?

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Man, it's tough to resist these, I think I'll have to grab a pair. As much as I love my Microbes they are very directional and the sweet spot is tiny for how much I move around my listening area.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I don't have a receiver that does it but I'm sending mp3s over wifi from my computer to one of these Roku units in another room and it's awesome.

Great interface, fast loading, sounds great. Maybe you could get a different receiver and a Roku if you were only looking at the JVC for that function (I'd rather have a Denon AVR-1507 for the same price, that JVC looks a little on the cheap side.)

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

volodkovich posted:

I had my eyes set on a Chaintech AV-710 as i don't have the money to buy a really high end card. However i cannot find one, as they seem to have stopped production of them.

I just listed my like new AV-710 in SA Mart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2777331

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
That's a great receiver. I bought my AVR-1507 from Magnolia and got the same price I would have paid anywhere else so I don't see why not on the Denon. I'd keep looking on the speakers though. There are some AV123 brand speakers people post the link to here often that I can't find on their site right now, but they're cheap and beautiful. Even if you had to buy 2 of those speakers and a decent powered sub now, and then add the rears and center later, I think in the long run you'd be happier with the quality and longevity.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=audacity

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

fletcher posted:

I frequently listen to music at work with one headphone in which sucks when I'm listening to a song where the left and right channels are completely different. Is there an easy way to tell both channels to just output to one of the phones? I'm using itunes on windows to play my music.

What about something like this Radio Shack adapter. Seems to fit the bill no?

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
It's possible your cartridge is damaged or isn't aligned properly. How new is it? If you look at the stylus (needle) from the front does it look like it hangs down perfectly straight?

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
^ I have a basic pre-amp I got at Fry's for $25, I'd sell it you for $15 shipped if you're in the US. If you're interested shoot me a PM.

I wound up buying this BBE pre from Musician's Friend, which I'm using now, and honestly I can't tell the difference in sound.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I've never been impressed with the Klipsch bookshelfs at Best Buy. The cabinets seemed cheap and I don't like the highs, they sound unnatural to me, of course that's just my opinion. If you like the way they sound go for it.

These BIC Americas are far better speakers at half the price IMHO. Also check out any of the Polk bookshelfs in that price range too, they're all great speakers. Just don't go too cheap on the Polks, the lower end models are hollow sounding and the cabinets feel like they're made of cheap thin wood.

Owsla fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 16, 2008

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Fark Ranger posted:

I went to a local audio store and they basically said the Polk speakers are poo poo and that Polk's quality in general has gone down a lot since they've been bought and sold so many times. I'm guessing the guy is full of poo poo.

Anyway, he recommended Boston Acoustics HS-60, are those pretty solid? They stock Paradigm Audio too, but I forget the model number.

It's possible, then again maybe he's only heard the Polk 30s and 40s, I thought the RTi series all sounded pretty great when I listened to them.

I don't have any listening time on the BAs or Paradigms, but they've both been major players in hi-fi for ever and unless something has drastically changed you should be safe taking your favorite CDs down there and picking whichever sounds best to you.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Typically just the lack of a table ground (the wire should be coming out of the table itself) won't cause insane static. More than likely your stylus needs a serious cleaning, you need a new stylus altogether, or the record is incredibly dirty.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Sexy Pants posted:

2) I'm willing to spend up to $50 for a new cartridge and needle since I've heard Ortofons are overpriced anyway. Recommendations please

The Shure M97xE gets great reviews (I'm really loving mine) and it's only $56 w/free shipping right now on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I always just use rubber feet but I've also heard of people leaving the spikes in place and setting them down on rubber pads or coins etc.