Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malay
Aug 31, 2003

A meeting of great minds.
Anyone have experience with Definitive Technology speakers? I saw a 5.1 setup on Craigslist and I am mildly interested by the price. I have heard them at Magnolia at Best Buy and I was impressed by their sound--but I'm no audiophile. Anything that is amplified would likely impress me as I've been using my TV speaker forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malay
Aug 31, 2003

A meeting of great minds.

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm going to start looking to hook up my setup (HDTV, PS3, HD DVD player) with some nice audio and want to do it right.

I've been looking at the Yamaha HTR 6090BL. It supports 1080p even though my TV and HD DVD player are only 1080i I figure I might as well future proof my sound system if I'm going to shell out the dough for it. I just want to know how easy it is to set up with my TV and all my components. Will I have to do a lot of wire switching or is it easy to set up so every time I switch inputs on my TV it will all come out of the speakers I have connected to this bad boy?

All the video will go into the receiver and you will only have one output (maybe two) outputs to the TV. You will switch inputs on the receiver, not on your TV. Your audio will switch accordingly.

You should look into the new Onkyo line-up if you want to future-proof yourself. They support DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD decoding. If you want to go seriously high-end, they have the Reon processor for upconverting.