Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolodex Propaganda
Oct 4, 2003

Fall in love with spines
Stupid question, but what exactly is the purpose of having A/B speaker selection on an amplifier? Could I theoretically hook up 4 sets of speakers and position them around my room, switching between the 2 pairs when I want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolodex Propaganda
Oct 4, 2003

Fall in love with spines
I just purchased an old Kenwood KA-3500. Before I even hooked speakers up to it, I plugged my headphones to listen for any unusual noise. There is a very slight "hsss" noise when turned all the way down, and it increases slightly as I turn the volume knob all the way up. The phono input is very noisy, but I've noticed this before in other old amps. My question is what is generally considered acceptable for idle noise from an integrated amplifier? This is certainly much better than the Optimus one I was using before, but I don't have much experience with other pieces of equipment to compare. Is there always going to be a little noise due to the nature of the technology?

Rolodex Propaganda
Oct 4, 2003

Fall in love with spines
Another quick question about my KA-3500:

I've hooked up one pair of speakers to the 'A' input on the back and they work fine. Now, I was just messing around with the A, B, A+B dial and there is silence when I select 'A+B'. One would think that the 'A' speakers would still play, but like I said earlier I don't have experience with this type of equipment. Do you have to have two sets of speakers to hooked up in order for the 'A+B' setting to function? I'm just making sure there's nothing wrong with it.