Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dnatural
Feb 19, 2004
Robocop's #1 Fan
Hi. I'm moving in to a new place and wanted to buy a receiver and speakers.

Having a limited budget (around 1000$) and not wanting to settle for a cheap home-theatre-in-a-box, I had to ponder wether to get a cheap receiver with two good speakers for a stereo setup, or a good receiver with cheap speakers for a 5.1 setup.

Realizing that I was doing this mainly to enjoy 5.1 sound, I decided to go along with the good receiver/cheap speakers idea... I'll upgrade the speakers later when I have the budget for them.

So I went ahead and bought a Yamaha HTR-6060 hdmi receiver.

Looking for speakers, I stumbled upon a deal and bought from somebody the Yamaha 5.1 speakers kit that comes along with their entry level receivers for a mere 70$.

Everything is swell, except for the subwoofer... I didn't notice it, but the one included in the kit I bought is a passive sub... and there's only a pre-out for an active sub on the HTR-6060...

Will I have to buy an active sub or could I hookup the passive sub to my front channels along with the two bookshelves speakers without fear of blowing something up ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU