Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harsh Tokerman
Oct 25, 2004
Every once in awhile I like to hook my laptop up to my TV to view things a bit larger. That works fine, but when I plug my audio into our receiver (3.5mm? headphone jack -> l/r rca jacks) there is a lot of background static on the line.

I can get this to stop if I unplug my laptop from the power source, but it's a beast of a laptop and the battery needs replaced, so that doesn't really work. Can I buy a different type of audio cable to combat this, or am I just SOL? the power supply's been replaced once before, and it's done it with both.

The laptop is a dell inspiron 9100, the receiver is a Harman/Kardon AVR 335 though it does it regardless of the receiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harsh Tokerman
Oct 25, 2004

pim01 posted:

You are experiencing a ground loop. To get rid of it, you'll need to isolate the two grounds of the systems, by using a ground loop isolator, surprisingly :). Radioshack sells one for $17. It should be adequate, but does cause some loss in quality.

Thanks! Now I must find a Radioshack that has some in stock. Is this a problem with most/all laptops, or is it not very common?