Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ive stopped gaming on my PC and Im looking for a nice set of 2.1s. I can get a set of Klipsch Promedia GMX2.1 quite a whack below retail and Im wondering how much better the sound will be over my Logitech X-620s for music/video/occasional gaming?

Id have to sell the logitechs as I have no other use for them so the hassle of posting them on ebay and them getting bought weighs in to the decision.

So goons, worth the hassle or not?

EDIT: gently caress it, bought them. anyone want some logitechs? :v:

Laserface fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 1, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I'm looking for a Bluetooth receiver.

Must be APTX compatible and ideally RCA output.

Happy to buy whatever is on Banggood/deal extreme/etc for around $50USD.

I'm currently using one of those apple 30 pin Bluetooth chips on an iPod dock with line out into my speaker set and it has a horrible buzzing noise whenever it's connected and audio is transmitting, so anything that doesn't have that will be much more welcome.

Edit: so for some reason Apple devices don't support aptx so I guess that's not really a requirement. The gently caress is Apple even doing these days?

Laserface fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 27, 2017

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

when helping my parents into the world of LED TVs just 2 years ago, the only sound bar that sounded any good in the store was the Sonos PlayBar. it sounds REALLY good with the additional subwoofer, but it was the same cost as the TV.

everything else was some muddy/tinny sounding bullshit.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bluetooth to aux dongles are a million times more reliable than built in Bluetooth solutions in just about every car I have ever used Bluetooth in.

But yeah you gotta remember to turn them off if you'll be within range of your car. Mine works through a 3ft concrete slab at one of my offices.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there an easy/simple way to get a stuck-speaker un-stuck?

its a 2" driver from a bluetooth speaker. its physically a lot stiffer to move the cone by pressing on it compared to the other channel.

It was in the back of my car and rolling around during some spirited driving.

from what i have read online, i need to cut the dustcap off and see if its melted glue on the voice coil, or a loose magnet?

is it even worth trying to repair? it sounded really good and had a nice form factor for my kitchen, but maybe im better off buying a pair of new speakers to fit in it instead? that size isnt expensive to buy.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

not sure if this is the best place to ask but maybe its the best place to ask to find out.....where to ask?

I want to get into hi-fi audio a bit deeper. I have AudioEngine A5s (the older model without bluetooth built in) and a Jamo 10" sub. it sounds pretty good as-is when using Spotify on my phone via a bluetooth adapter plugged into the A5s but a recent carplay install in my car has revealed just how much even Spotify is compressed by bluetooth.

I was considering getting a RaspberryPi with a good DAC - ideally one of the HAT/internal DACs, but USB/external if there is a clear winner in terms of sound quality. software would be Volumio unless there is something better.

I buy stuff I really like on Bandcamp so I have access to lots of uncompressed music to enjoy.

in terms of user experience I want it to be easy to control - ideally with volume control on the Pi rather than my speakers (which I have set be just a tad too loud when my phone is connected via BT and at full volume). presumably via IR remote or volumio? I havent really looked into the software side of it yet. headphone output/amp would be good too as I have some nice open-back headphones.

the RpI might also get used as a media center when my LG TV stops updating the plex and youtube apps in the (probably near) future.

leaning towards the hifiberry setup since I can buy it all in one go but Im comfortable shopping across vendors to get an ideal setup.

has anyone here done this? is there a better thread to ask this question?

Laserface fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 17, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Yep, this is what I am going to do. Never heard of coaxial carrying digital audio before. Thanks to you both, Flipperwaldt and Baby Proof!

well digital coax exists, just not as/over red/white RCA connections. but its the same RCA connector.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

jivjov posted:

I'm looking for a Bluetooth speaker for my home that 1) plugs in to the wall by default, 2) has a remote control, and 3) doesn't sound like poo poo.

I'm trying to get better about reading books or engaging in hobbies that don't involve my phone, and every time I pick up my phone to change music, I get sucked into a vortex of Twitter or SomethingAwful. Amazon is full of so many knockoffs and weird brands and portable li-on speakers and I was just curious if anyone had some quick recommendations

if I was buying that specific type of bluetooth device I'd go Audioengine B1

Laserface fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 25, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

jivjov posted:

My concern here is that I don't currently have any kind of setup already, so a receiver alone is going to do me a whole lot of good. But I'll definitely keep that in mind for if I put together a proper audio setup in the future

Is the B1 not a speaker that plugs in and has Bluetooth? That's what you asked for.

Plenty of receivers out there that have BT in them, you can also get Bluetooth recovers and connect those directly to powered speakers.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

powderific posted:

No? It’s a Bluetooth receiver.

https://audioengineusa.com/shop/ada...pc&utm_term=775

Edit to say if you’re having trouble focusing because you get sucked into the phone, I wonder if maybe you should consider a smart speaker that can play from your service of choice with voice commands? That way you can start it up without the screen temptation.

Sorry! I initially typed B2 but was like 'no that cant be the name, they dont have another BT product in the lineup, its the B1' and my data connection wasnt great so couldnt load their product page.

the B2 is what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

i haven't auditioned one so i cant really comment but from what I understand they do not compete on sound quality alone with similarly priced speakers.

considering where I live they launched at $500AUD, they'd wanna sound pretty drat good.

in fact, the more I read about Apples current audio stuff, the more Im surprised at how badly they do it compared to other things. AAC gets re-encoded to AAC when transmitting over bluetooth for example.

you'd think they'd put good DACs and spend special care on great sound quality but everything I hear about Airpod/pros/max is 'they're good but anything in the same price range is significantly better sounding'