Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Could someone point me to a fairly cheap but decent component that will play a random shuffle of songs on a CD filled with MP3s?

I've been looking at info on various CD and DVD players that have MP3 playback, but haven't found any that say they will shuffle the songs on a disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Have you considered just mounting a sound bar under the TV outside?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The UE Roll 2 is very highly regarded for that role.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If he’s a pro drummer I’d be more inclined to assume he’s half deaf :v:

I assume this is the receiver at Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-2-0-ch-stereo-receiver-with-bluetooth-black/6187501.p?skuId=6187501

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m no expert on “connected” receivers but

That Denon is a BT receiver, it should show up on your Android device just like a wireless speaker or wireless headphones, in any audio app.

It’s got six HDMI ports, so if you decide Chromecast is the way to go, you can use a regular Chromecast if that’s a better fit (rather than a Chromecast Audio).

Those speakers do not appear to have batteries. They come with power cables and an AC adapter, and Denon offers a $100 “go pack” which is a rechargeable battery pack that the speaker sits on.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Sounds like the bigger problem is the “split off” thing.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
(Big) if the laptop is mostly stationary and
(another big if) your TV watching positions allow you to plug your headphones into your respective computers and
You’re ok with having your computers on to listen to the TV

you could probably just split the TV audio out and connect that to the line in of each computer, then switch the source on your PCs as required.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I got a Megaboom and it seems fine. My only outdoor use is near a wall that will reflect sound, not out in a yard or field. Obviously it’s not home theater quality but it’s pleasant sounding music.

If you find them on slight discount you could get two for $300 (or get the previous model Megaboom 2s for $100 each), and put them in stereo mode.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Boom is kind of large for a shower, though, isn’t it? I know people gushed over the Roll and Roll 2 for showers.

E: well the boom looks to be about the size of a bottle of shampoo.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Do either Denon or Yamaha receivers have a mode where, in a 5.1 setup, you can easily switch to a 2-channel (or 2.1) mode where the sound only goes to the rear speakers?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Another 5.1 rear speaker question — should I even bother considering putting the rears in the ceiling if it's 12’6” high? The only other practical option would seem to be wireless.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

KillHour posted:

You can also just keep saying quieter or louder, at least with Google home. I usually do something like "Hey Google, play music in the kitchen. *beep* Volume at 40% *volume goes up* louder *volume goes up* a little louder *volume goes up slightly* Thank you *You're welcome* :3:"
Does it make you want to shout?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m thinking of getting a Denon AVR-S750H (or maybe 950H) receiver, and was wondering if anyone could answer these two questions regarding the receiver and HEOS speakers.

1) could I set up a 5.1 system with wired left, center, and right speakers and use HEOS speakers for the surrounds? I would think so, but the Q&A on Denon's site makes it unclear.

2) if so, could I also “connect” two more HEOS speakers as 6 and 7, set them to Zone 2, and have them play a separate audio source?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Looking at the Denon model linked, and the a Yamaha I recently bought, I have a question: is it no longer usual for receivers to have switched/unswitched power outlets on the back panel?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Um, use two Echos?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Residency Evil posted:

Is the Denon AVR-S750H a solid choice for a receiver? Not looking for anything too complicated: mainly use as an HDMI switch, something that will pair well with a 4k OLED, and support for 5.1 speakers (eventually). It's on sale at costco for $340. Any reason to pay more for the Yamaha RX-V685?
Personally I got a S650H and exchanged it for a V685. It’s a little thing all considered, but I absolutely could not stand the Denon UI (not that Yamaha's is great). And in my particular niche case, with the Yamaha it was easier to set up and use second room speakers (I.e. 5.1 in the living room + two speakers on the back porch in “party mode”). May not be a factor with a 750H, or at all.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hey if anyone’s interested in portable stuff I noticed Best Buy Has UE Megaboom 3s for sale for $119 and they’ll give you a free (white) charging pad.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Try setting your audio to 2.1 mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

EL BROMANCE posted:

From Google, UKW is the German word for FM so that part will work if poster is in the US. No DAB here, you’re correct.
“UKW - Überhaupt keine statische” just doesn’t roll off the tongue very well.