Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Syllogism posted:

Screw it, I'm converting my FLACs to WAV since FLAC is brighter than WAV. The only caveat is I might need this �4000 pink cable to fully appreciate the lack of brightness. I was skeptical at first, but can't argue with his proof. Remember, before trying DBT, make sure to warm-up the computer first.

Patrick82 gets mocked in pretty much every single SH/SC audiophile thread for his stupidity. The idiot bought Brilliant Pebbles, a JOKE product, and claimed it actually improved audio quality. :psypop:

More nuggets of wisdom:

quote:

I got the "Mini" Brilliant Pebbles and tried it in different places in my system in different spots on top of the chassis.
I have a huge RFI problem where I live and I had very high expectations that it would cure some of the problem, and I was surprised.

I did some quick A/B-ing, each time I moved the glass bottle into a different position. I didn't hear a different at all, when I removed it and put on my table it still sounded the same. Wow, my ears really suck. I need to try long-term testing and will post back then...

quote:

2nd impression:
OMG it works!
The difference is smaller than when breathing differently. It took a while to get the same breathing pattern when doing A/B-ing. Everytime when I played back the same few seconds it sounded different even when I didn't make a change! It took over 20 tries until my breathing rhythm had burned in and then it sounded the same each time.
Having the bottle on top of Cary 303/300 sounded the best each time I tried. Having the bottle rotated anywhere within a 35 degree area gave the most detail. Finding the correct spot on top of the chassis took a while. I have it placed 3.75 cm behind and 1.2 cm to the left of the white bubble level circle.

Placing it on top of the power supply area made it smoother but didn't increase detail, so I didn't like it. On top of DAC1 sounded the same as without the bottle, but my DAC1 already has weight on top of it (stones and batteries). The 2nd worse place was on top of my amp right in front of the DAC1. The 3rd worst spot was under the DAC1 (on top of amp). It gave almost as much detail as on top of Cary but didn't sound as smooth.
Putting anywhere close to the spinning disc made the biggest improvement, it made it smoother with more detail.
Later I touched the Cary and found out that the spot where it vibrates the most is the spot where it sounded the best with the bottle! Coincidence?

My DAC1 didn't improve because it already has 4 step isolation. My amp has 3 step isolation and it made the smallest difference. My Cary transport doesn't have isolation at all!

There is better transparency, microdynamics and body. Vocals sound more like real life.
Without the bottle it sounds brighter but bass is more solid and faster, it also sounds muddy and veiled.
Brilliant Pebbles is great, but I would rather buy isolation feet with the money. It also seems like it reduces some RFI because it sounds smoother, but ERS paper will take care of that better.
The sucker himself:

However, if you're looking for a high-end CD player, you may want to look into buying an early Playstation 1... :v:

Stutes fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 10, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU