Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snafuel
Dec 29, 2005

This ?uck is gonna ?uck the gal on right!

Carti posted:

Are there any brands i should look for in a turntable? I'm on a tight budget and really only want to listen to my records. Not do any mixing or any fancy things :)

How about a used one: http://cgi.ebay.com/REGA-PLANAR-3-O...VQQcmdZViewItem

You did not specify price range, but good and cheap do not usually go together well even in turntables. If I were to be forced to get a turntable I would try to get my hands on an old Dual CS 505 or Rega Planar with a decent arm/cartridge in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snafuel
Dec 29, 2005

Psmith posted:

Quick question about surround sound systems.

"Protect"

My guess is overheating.

To test this theory use till you get 'protect' error and sound cuts off. Power the amp off and wait for 15min and power it back on, put the movie to the same place where it was before the cut off. If it works normally for a while and cuts off again then it is probably heat. What you can try is to put the amp in a place that is not very cramped and that all venting holes in the amp are free to breathe.

Edit: Also could be short circuit in the speaker cabling, although in this case there should not be any sound at all, just error and/or smoke. Check cables at the amp end to be sure.

Snafuel fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 18, 2007

Snafuel
Dec 29, 2005

mattfl posted:

What are some common issues that cause an amp to cut off at higher volumes?

Heat, make sure there is room around the amp and especially that you have not blocked any of the ventilation grilles found at back/bottom/top of the amp. One way or another this kind of problems are usually related to overheating.

A less likely cause that really does not fit the description of the problem would be that speaker cables are shorted, but then you should not hear anything on any volume. Check the speaker calbes at the terminals in your amp, the wires should not be touching anything but the terminal, not each other or amp body or anything like that.

In the off chance the speakers have very low impedance, check if your amp has a switch to choose between 4ohm/8ohm speakers. If it has one, try with 4ohm setting. I very much doubt the impedance in those speakers would be that low.