Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

I'm moving into my own place in a few days and I'm finally going to have enough room for a good stereo setup. I'm probably going to go for a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7s, but they're not going to do me much good without an amp.

I've had a number of solid state headphone amps and my audiophile-esque father has gone through a few solid states as well.

I'm interested in giving tubes a try now. Does anyone have any suggestions for tube amps that are of reasonable quality and price? I'm looking to spend a thousand or less. Preferably less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Pibborando San posted:

Any particular reason for wanting to go tubes?

Just curious really. Every now and then, I meet somebody who practically creams their pants over tubes when we start talking about audio equipment.

Besides, they look cool.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

I'm looking to get a record player and I've narrowed the list down to two potential buys. Either a Rega P1 or a Pro-ject Debut III.

Does anyone have any experience with either? I'm leaning towards the Debut simply because it comes in many colours and would be easy to coordinate with the rest of my living room. Unfortunately, colour probably has nothing to do with sound quality.

I'd do a comparison but as far as I know, no stores in Vancouver stock the Debut. Hifi Centre stocks the Rega but they're overpriced.

Actually, while I'm on the subject of stores, are there any favorite online retailers for audio equipment in the States that ship to Canada? I'd like to take advantage of the dollars being at par and even with shipping it's still probably going to be cheaper than buying it here.