Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Here's a pretty simple conundrum I've run into: I've gotten a good, older Technics turntable recently, the only problem is that the ground wire is extremely short, way too short to reach my receiver (which is around 4-5 feet away). Is there a quick, cheap and easy way to extend a ground wire? I'm not looking to solder, splice or engage myself in something I'm not entirely comfortable doing for fear of loving up the table, but I'm pretty sure this is an easy fix. Now if someone smarter than myself on this matter can recommend what I need from Radio Shack or someplace similar I'd be very grateful (as I had a decent haul of records in the past few days I'm dying to hear).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

pim01 posted:

The easy way to do this is with a terminal block (is that the correct term?), which you can easily pick up at any DIY store. Pick up another piece of wire while you're there (if you get close to the same gauge, you're ok). Strip both ends, and connect them with the terminal block.

Your ground wire doesn't have some kind of connector on it, I hope? According to my experience it should be just a wire with a stripped end.

This is the thing I'm talking about - it's the same sort of thing you'd use to connect lamps (not my hand):

My turntable did have a connector on the end of the wire, emphasis on did. I took an old piece of speaker wire and spliced the two directly together and it's working well. Breaking in the new (to me) table with Kraftwerk's "Trans-Europe Express" as I type this. I don't know why I didn't think to do this before, but I'm a bit of a pansy when something is out of my usual range of knowledge, and my last turntable had a built-in preamp, so I haven't had to deal with ground wires before.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

The UE Mini Boom has been on sale a lot recently, as low as $50. I've got one and had to get my girlfriend one as well after she used mine. I set it up in the kitchen a lot and listen to podcasts while I'm cooking and cleaning and I can hear it fine over the washer and dryer, so it should suit you fine, though obviously there are more powerful options.