Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio PhoolCat
Aug 13, 2003

Gentlemanly attire.
(wheee)

King Hotpants posted:

It'll work as component just fine.

Usually I see those with 5 BNCs, and it works for converting VGA on one end to RGBHV on the other. Never seen a four-lead before.
Four-wire is the old RGBS standard, similar to RGBHV but with combined (or composite) sync. Fortunately, it isn't used much any more as it's not as good as YUV or RGBHV - I still see RGBS VDAs occasionally, though :xd:

I'd use it for connecting component sources together, as someone suggested earlier.

Or maybe sell them on eBay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

clredwolf posted:

I assume you're talking about an RCA to minijack converter, like so?
MonoPrice has those pretty cheaply.

3.5mm Stereo Plug/2 RCA Plug cable - 6ft

Sgt. Rock
Jun 7, 2001

Look at me! I'm whacked outta my fuckin' Brain on Whiskey!

Saukkis posted:

MonoPrice has those pretty cheaply.

3.5mm Stereo Plug/2 RCA Plug cable - 6ft

This is sorta what I need, but in the other direction. The Xbox cables are RCA, and the TV has a Mini-jack. so I need a RCA ---> Mini-jack converter.

Scaryfroman
Mar 23, 2006

I'm going back... and I'm bringing new curtains.

Sgt. Rock posted:

This is sorta what I need, but in the other direction. The Xbox cables are RCA, and the TV has a Mini-jack. so I need a RCA ---> Mini-jack converter.

I've bought at least three of those from monoprice. Just look around. The worst problems come when you want to plug male RCA to male mini-jack. Just be glad you don't have to deal with those.

Tapeta
Aug 31, 2004
Ekaru Hoppa Do Pe Tapeta
I want to use a large HDTV as my computer monitor as well. My only 2 questions are as so:

What size should i keep it under? It's going to be on my desk, and i plan on playing WoW on it, so it needs to be nice and big (mmm, big) but not so big that i can't read text. I do a lot of reading on my computer as well.

As such, is burn-in an issue? I'd have it on almost all day.

Lastly, what about power consumption? Is it safe/fine too to leave it on all day? Would it be any worse/better than the CRT i am using now? The electic bill is high enough as it is :sweatdrop:

Lloyd Christmas
Aug 3, 2004

by angerbot
I got a Sony KDS-50A2000 at the end of January and I'm definitely impressed and satisfied with it. However I'm still using the factory default settings for everything, and I've read that on certain models a calibration would increase the picture and color quality. Does anyone have experience with calibrating this model, or whether it needs it or not? I'm not seeing anything WRONG with the picture right now, but I'm never against improvements.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
I'm not really sure where to put this but I guess it fits here.
I have a Nokia 5300, it supports 3GPP video. I've tried several ripping progs (Star mobile video, ImToo converter, Fx video converter) and none have worked successfully. The audio rips ok but the video is just a black screen. The video demo's that came on the phone play ok too, any suggestions?

Edit: I've tried this with .avi .mpg and .wmv

EvilMuppet fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 28, 2007

Brosa Parks
Jan 28, 2005

Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.

Sgt. Rock posted:

The Xbox 360 VGA cable comes with a stereo RCA > 1/8" jack adapter. Did you accidently throw it away, by chance?

Video Question: The God of War games for PS2 run at 60 fps through most parts of the game. I was watching the DVD extras that came with the sequel, and anytime the camera showed the game running on monitors, you could see that the game was running at 60fps. I'm not even sure if I'm wording this coherently, but how is it possible that you can see 60 fps motion on a monitor when the DVD footage is only 30 fps?

Brosa Parks fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 28, 2007

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

EvilMuppet posted:

I'm not really sure where to put this but I guess it fits here.
I have a Nokia 5300, it supports 3GPP video. I've tried several ripping progs (Star mobile video, ImToo converter, Fx video converter) and none have worked successfully. The audio rips ok but the video is just a black screen. The video demo's that came on the phone play ok too, any suggestions?

Edit: I've tried this with .avi .mpg and .wmv

i assume your trying to convert video to 3gpp?

Quicktime Pro will do it no problem.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Sgt. Rock posted:

Right, the Xbox has a special cable. Then just get this.

clredwolf
Aug 12, 2006

Scaryfroman posted:

I've bought at least three of those from monoprice. Just look around. The worst problems come when you want to plug male RCA to male mini-jack. Just be glad you don't have to deal with those.

I've got tons of those cables. Not sure what kind of problems you're taking about, that's the most popular kind. Now, female minijack to RCA I can understand...

Scaryfroman
Mar 23, 2006

I'm going back... and I'm bringing new curtains.

clredwolf posted:

I've got tons of those cables. Not sure what kind of problems you're taking about, that's the most popular kind. Now, female minijack to RCA I can understand...

I think you're just confused at what I said. I'm talking about an adapter so you can plug computer speakers into a game console. Female minijack to female RCA adapters aren't sold at Monoprice, Radio Shack, or a few other places I looked. I eventually bought a logitech RCA-to-5.1 minijacks connector and used just one of the minijacks.

clredwolf
Aug 12, 2006

Scaryfroman posted:

I think you're just confused at what I said. I'm talking about an adapter so you can plug computer speakers into a game console. Female minijack to female RCA adapters aren't sold at Monoprice, Radio Shack, or a few other places I looked. I eventually bought a logitech RCA-to-5.1 minijacks connector and used just one of the minijacks.

Ohh, gotcha. We were thinking the same thing, I just read it as a male-to-male cable, not connecting male RCA to male minijack. I read ya know, and yes those things are a PITA to find. I ended up using a ton of radioshack connectors in some wierd assembly of adapters do to that.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Can someone list again in order the quality of video cables again? I know RGB (3 cables?) is the lowest quailty.

Brosa Parks
Jan 28, 2005

Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.

b0nes posted:

Can someone list again in order the quality of video cables again? I know RGB (3 cables?) is the lowest quailty.

That's incorrect. I'm gonna leave out some crazy poo poo, and just list connections common to North America. This is from worst to best.

Coax
Composite (1 yellow video RCA cable)
S-Video
Component (Red Green and Blue RCA cables)
HDMI

Some people will say VGA is a better picture than Component, but it really depends on your set. DVI should basically be an identical picture to HDMI. Both VGA and DVI are primarily computer video connections, so I didn't put them on the list. Every set is going to handle them differently, but the 5 listed above should be pretty concrete in terms of picture quality improvement.

Radio PhoolCat
Aug 13, 2003

Gentlemanly attire.
(wheee)

Coax
Composite (1 yellow video RCA or BNC cable)
S-Video or Y/C (Yellow four-pin mini-DIN)
RGB (Red Green and Blue RCA or BNC cables)
RGBS (Red Green Blue and Black RCA or BNC cables)
RGBHV (Red Green Blue and White/Grey/Yellow & Black RCA or BNC cables)
Component or YUV (Red Green and Blue RCA or BNC cables)
HDMI
SDI (Single HQ BNC cable)
HD-SDI (Single HQ BNC cable)

Added back in some of the "crazy poo poo" other standards for non-merkins & others
Also SCART which can carry composite, s-video or even RGB
NOTE: only HDMI & SCART carry audio as well

clredwolf
Aug 12, 2006
By the numbers (thank you Wikipedia; please don't kill me if these are wrong, I'll correct them):

Coax - RF connector, usually for cable TV hookups. Carries SDTV signals, usually multiple channels with audio channels as well.
-------NTSC standard: 6MHz bandwidth, 29.97 fps, 484 lines of resolution (480i resolution)
-------PAL standard: 25 fps, 576 lines (576i), color quality better due to colour system
-------SECAM standard: basically a French version of PAL

Composite - Uses the same systems as above, but it's a dedicated carrier for signals so it's better quality (whereas RF can cary alot of channels at once and sound too). Sent as a YUV signal, meaning that luminance (think black and white) and chromance (think color) are sent together.

S-Video - Carries NTSC (480i) or PAL (576i) signals. Differs from Composite in that the luminance (Y) and chromance (UV) lines are seperated. This lowers cross talk, increases the quality of the luminance (black and white) signal, and reduces dot crawl.

SCART - Popular in Europe, originated in France. Carries RGB and composite signals, S-Video signals, audio signals, even controlling signals for the TV it's plugged into. Can support YPbPr component signals, but not officially (so not everything supports it). Slowly being replaced by HDMI.

Component (YPbPr) - Supports 480i, 480p (NTSC and NTSC w/progressive scan (SDTV and EDTV)), 576i, 576p (PAL and PAL w/progressive scan (SDTV and EDTV)), 720p, 1080i, 1080p (HDTV resolutions). Obviously a huge step up from the above list. Similar quality to an RGB connection.

RGB - Usually used for computer monitors and projectors. Slowly being phased out in favor of DVI, HDMI, and Component (YPbPr) connectors. Many SCART connectors can use RGB, and computers send this signal through VGA cables. BNC connectors can send these signals too (we use them at work), usually over 5 connector RGBHV signals or 4-connector RGBS signals, or 3 connector signals with extra sync data mixed in with the green signal. As good a quality as Component, if not better (not alot of difference between the two).

DVI - Carries digital signals, less of a chance of interference on the line from the analog connections above. Can carry anything up to 1080p signals. Can transmit analog (DVI-A) signals, digital (DVI-D) signals, and both at the same time (DVI-I). Can be 'dual-linked' over the same cable for even higher resolutions (DVD-DL). DVD players and HDTVs can transmit and receive DVI/HDCP signals, which are copy protected. For comparison, supports ~22MHz to 165MHz for transmitting video data.

HDMI - Backwards compatible with DVI and DVI/HDCP. Designed to carry 8-channels of uncompressed audio and 1080p signals (the HDMI 1.3 standard supports resolutions even higher than this and compressed audio, making the cable future proof for now). For comparison, supports a bandwidth of 25MHz to 340MHz (!!!) for video signals. Compare that to the 6MHz quoted earlier for NTSC signals (the article on HDMI quotes 13.5MHz for that, so there's a little confusion there, still an order or magnitude more video data can be transmitted).

clredwolf fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 29, 2007

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

clredwolf posted:

By the numbers (thank you Wikipedia; please don't kill me if these are wrong, I'll correct them):

Coax - RF connector, usually for cable TV hookups. Carries SDTV signals, usually multiple channels with audio channels as well.
-------NTSC standard: 6MHz bandwidth, 29.97 fps, 484 lines of resolution (480i resolution)
-------PAL standard: 25 fps, 576 lines (576i), color quality better due to colour system
-------SECAM standard: basically a French version of PAL

coax is a pretty broad term, and refers to a type of cable which can have many different connectors and can carry many different types of signals

that definition explains what most people would call coax, but is really pretty inaccurate because coax cable is used for most of the other formats that are mentioned in your post.

not to mention that "carries SDTV signals" makes it sound like it cant carry HD signals.

Radio PhoolCat
Aug 13, 2003

Gentlemanly attire.
(wheee)

butterypancakes posted:

coax is a pretty broad term, and refers to a type of cable which can have many different connectors and can carry many different types of signals
afaik we usually call them RF or UHF, sometimes even Antenna

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I asked this in the HTPC thread, but I'll ask here as well:

Is there any reason to use my Denon DVD player with the Faroudja progressive chipset over a PC-based DVD player? And is there a PC playback chain that results in the highest quality? I'm running DVI-D to HDMI to my 37" 720p LCD, just as a reference.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
Is there some free video test DVD I could download (or order) or some other cheap alternative for testing A/V equipment in situ?

This is not a wink, nudge bullshit post

DVE seems pretty cool and I can get it at Amazon for 25 bucks (it'll take forever :(). Can anyone recommend this?

Dice Dice Baby fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 1, 2007

Zero Jesus
Oct 26, 2004

Same thing we always do, fight 'em until we can't
Are you looking for a calibration type disc? If you have any THX certified movies most of them have set up tests on those dvds already

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

VTNC posted:

Is there some free video test DVD I could download (or order) or some other cheap alternative for testing A/V equipment in situ?

This is not a wink, nudge bullshit post

DVE seems pretty cool and I can get it at Amazon for 25 bucks (it'll take forever :(). Can anyone recommend this?

DVE works fine, but there's a learning curve. Avia is outdated as all hell, but there are still a lot of relevant patterns.

Since you're only doing one TV, just get whichever's cheaper.

h2opologeek
Sep 3, 2006

I'm just a professional because I get paid.

King Hotpants posted:

DVE works fine, but there's a learning curve. Avia is outdated as all hell, but there are still a lot of relevant patterns.

Since you're only doing one TV, just get whichever's cheaper.

Remember there is a DVE out now thats for HD DVD
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=5743868

What I like about Avia is all the tutorials that they do on the disc, also if you do end up getting DVE make sure you have the most current version for the format you have.

Edit: I should say that the HD-DVD DVE is coming out 4/27/2007

h2opologeek fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 1, 2007

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I was thinking about trying to make digital copies of all my DVDs. I was curious about what formats are out there. Is there a format that basically creates an image of the DVD menus and all? Is there such a thing as "lossless" DVD ripping?

:siren:I only want info on how to rip DVDs I already own!:siren:

Mister Man
Nov 22, 2006

IWHBYD...
Ok this is what I want to know/do. I want to be able to play movies/videos on my tv from my computer. My OS is vista ultimate, and my graphics card is nvidia gforce 6600gt. Now I would prefer it if I could also have my sound come from my tv. Now some info on my TV. IT is a 24" SD tube tv. It has both component/composite and s video conections. The tv is located approx. 20 feet away. Is there a decent way to hook this up with good quality sound/video?

ninja edit: my sound card is a sb audigy.

h2opologeek
Sep 3, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

I was thinking about trying to make digital copies of all my DVDs. I was curious about what formats are out there. Is there a format that basically creates an image of the DVD menus and all? Is there such a thing as "lossless" DVD ripping?

:siren:I only want info on how to rip DVDs I already own!:siren:

Ok I'll answer this the best I can on the Media Center side of things, that where I'm weakest. You can use such basic programs as DVD Shrink and change around the setting to use no compression. Then using window media center with a plug-in to play back the .iso files that you can make with it.

Or if you want to spend some real buck you can buy my favorite toy, that I work with, a Kaleidescape - http://www.kaleidescape.com/ this system will cost you about at least $8,000 to get started with it.

There is also the AMX Max server which is similar but no where near as good.

They're other options out there but those are what I consider the higher quality ones.

h2opologeek
Sep 3, 2006

Mister Man posted:

Ok this is what I want to know/do. I want to be able to play movies/videos on my tv from my computer. My OS is vista ultimate, and my graphics card is nvidia gforce 6600gt. Now I would prefer it if I could also have my sound come from my tv. Now some info on my TV. IT is a 24" SD tube tv. It has both component/composite and s video conections. The tv is located approx. 20 feet away. Is there a decent way to hook this up with good quality sound/video?

ninja edit: my sound card is a sb audigy.

To start with you are not going to get a fantastic picture using a SD tv because of how the picture is downgraded. So what you are going to do is use your graphics card's s-video port and either use the built in graphics options that will make your settings the proper for a s-video connection. If that does not work you will need to make sure your S-Video connection is outputting a signal of 640x480 with refresh rate of 60 hz.

For sound you'll probably notice much difference using a standard headphone to rca cable.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
What are my options in really good LCD monitors around 20" and 300 dollars for a gaming computer? I hear praise for the 2007WFP Dell widescreen.

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

I have an avi file that I just want about 2 minutes of video from for a website, when I try to import it into After Effects it gives me a 'no such avi compressor' error. XviD problem? Anyway is there any simple program that will do this for me? Or a plugin for After Effects or something?

Not entirely sure this belongs in this thread, but I figured that After Effects people probably hung out here.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Zombie Exterminator posted:

I have an avi file that I just want about 2 minutes of video from for a website, when I try to import it into After Effects it gives me a 'no such avi compressor' error. XviD problem? Anyway is there any simple program that will do this for me? Or a plugin for After Effects or something?

Not entirely sure this belongs in this thread, but I figured that After Effects people probably hung out here.

This is really more of an SH/SC question, for future reference.

Dunefar
Nov 20, 2003

Killer.
I'm not sure if this is more of a SHSC question or not or if this should be it's own thread. If either of those are true, let me know.

I'm interested in connecting to computer to my television. Is this viable, and if so, how? I'm completely ignorant on this matter, I don't even know any sort of term for what this would be called. In short, I want to play my computers games on my TV.

h2opologeek
Sep 3, 2006

Dunefar posted:

I'm not sure if this is more of a SHSC question or not or if this should be it's own thread. If either of those are true, let me know.

I'm interested in connecting to computer to my television. Is this viable, and if so, how? I'm completely ignorant on this matter, I don't even know any sort of term for what this would be called. In short, I want to play my computers games on my TV.

Do you have a High Def TV?

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
TVersity question...

Is there a way to display outputted video in widescreen?? Everything i stream is crunched to 4:3 and my set is a 46" Sony LCD

Dunefar
Nov 20, 2003

Killer.

h2opologeek posted:

Do you have a High Def TV?

No.

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

Dunefar posted:

No.

If you have S video out on your graphics card you should use that...it's going to be awful on a SDTV though...if your video card doesn't have s video out, then you probably shouldn't even bother, but you would need some sort of TV out card or breakout box

h2opologeek
Sep 3, 2006

sba posted:

TVersity question...

Is there a way to display outputted video in widescreen?? Everything i stream is crunched to 4:3 and my set is a 46" Sony LCD

Oh yes there is a way no problem if you have a video card that can output a widescreen setting, the only thing most video cards do though is output a signal that is 16x10 not 16x9 but there is a great deal of difference.

What type of connection are you using for connecting to your tv?
Also could you provide a model number on your Sony LCD.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

h2opologeek posted:

Oh yes there is a way no problem if you have a video card that can output a widescreen setting, the only thing most video cards do though is output a signal that is 16x10 not 16x9 but there is a great deal of difference.

What type of connection are you using for connecting to your tv?
Also could you provide a model number on your Sony LCD.

Video Card is a ATI X800

Streaming to a Sony KDF-42E2000 via Xbox 360 Wireless

h2opologeek
Sep 3, 2006

sba posted:

Video Card is a ATI X800

Streaming to a Sony KDF-42E2000 via Xbox 360 Wireless

Ok this is what I'd suggest doing for the best possible picture.

You will need either a DVI to HDMI cable where you would plug the DVI into your computer and then the HDMI into your TV. You can just use a plain DVI or HDMI cable with an adapter on it.

Such as this http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023101&p_id=2809&seq=1&format=2&style=

Or it appears your TV has a vga connection as well so you can use a standard VGA cable to connect the two.

Then for proper resolution you will need to set your graphics card to something like 1280x800 or higher.

Maybe someone here knows how to correct your xbox piece but I don't have experience with that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
Hope this is in the right thread. Just a quick question on watching cable tv/ playing video games on an lcd computer monitor. I was looking at something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815153007

but because of that digital switchover thing coming up in a couple years, should I wait for something with ATSC capability? How much would an ATSC solution cost?

• Locked thread