Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I recently dug out a projector I was given years ago and never set up. It has s-video, composite and component/scart RGB VGA inputs. I want to connect my old consoles to it and I'm wondering what the best way to do that is. I'm not hugely fussed about having the highest quality audio and video, this isn't a permanent set up. To that end I have a decent portable Bose speaker I can use for the audio.

I have an N64, GameCube, Wii, 360, PSX, PS2 and a megadrive/genesis. I figured for everything but the Xbox and the Wii I'd use the composite input, because that's the resolution I originally played those systems in so I don't care if it looks like poo poo, and buy a female RCA to 3.5mm to run to the Bose for audio. Would that work? And for the Xbox I see there's HDMI to VGA adapters with 3.5mm jacks for the audio. I've seen HDMI adapters for the Wii but I know they're not going to be upscaling anything, but I guess it's still going to look better than using composite, right? 420p vs 420i?

Are there any better solutions that aren't hugely expensive? I don't mind that I'll be changing cables regularly, unless there's some magical all in one video switch box that I can stick all of that poo poo into at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
First thanks a lot for going to the effort of that incredibly comprehensive answer. Apologies, I should have been clearer in my original post but yes, I'm in the UK, here's the business end of the projector so you can see what I'm working with, and here's the manual for it.

As you can see the VGA in is also the scart and component in, which would be achieved through the two apparently included adapters. Except mine was given to me second hand with a new bulb but no adapters. It looks easy enough to find another component to VGA adapter, but that RGB scart to VGA dongle might as well not exist online. I did have the Nintendo official RGB scart cable for the GameCube, now lost, but I guess I can buy component cables for the Wii and the PS2 and just use the backwards compatibility on those.

Given that, going off your advice I should buy component cables where I can (Wii, PS2, the 360 I have the one that came in the box), and use composite for the megadrive and the N64, and given the lack of audio pass though just stick to my original plan for the audio. Sound about right? Thanks again for your help and sorry for not including the extra information in my first post that would have saved you some time.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 3, 2017

• Locked thread