Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Don't know if this is more SH/SC stuff but I hooked up my computer to my HDTV via HDMI-DVI cable. I get picture but it's not the right resolution so some things hang off the screen I can't get to. I was told to set my vid card to the native resolution of the TV (which is 1024x1080) but my vid card doesn't show that as a selectable resolution. Am I hosed and need a new card? Or is there a way I can force it to display how I want it? I'm at work and don't have the vid card model handy but I can supply it when I get home if it'll help. It's an ATI Radeon something or other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

ntd posted:

Try PowerStrip http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

Tried it and used it to create a custom resolution of 1024x1080 but my TV didn't accept it and just went black until I reverted. How come it feels to me like that resolution is out of whack? The page for my TV shows that as it's resolution, though.

quote:

1024 x 1080i Display Resolution
Hitachi’s introduces the world’s first 42-inch high definition HDTV with 1080i resolution for a state of the art plasma viewing experience.

http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/plasma/plasma/42hds69.shtml

Right now I have it set to 1280x720 and it's as close as I can get to actually looking decent but some image is still spilling over each side and text looks fuzzy on it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Saukkis posted:

I guess you could say that resolution is out of whack. The display uses ALiS technology and you could consider it an interlaced display like CRT televisions. That TV apparently doesn't accept 1080p input, so I would try using 1024x540 or 1024x576.

Another problem is that the TV seems to be using overscan. It seems some of the aspect ratio modes desable overscan in 1080i and 720p modes. Try "16:9 STANDARD 2" mode.

Sorry to bring this back up after so long but I haven't been messing with the TV but I still can't get the resolution right. I've tried the resolutions suggested and just about every other one I could think of but it either displays and looks fuzzy or out of whack or my TV will just not recognize the resolution and stay black until I revert.

I never thought it would be so hard just to get a resolution to display correctly on a TV. Can anyone offer any new suggestions?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Saukkis posted:

You should probably check the Official Hitachi 42HDS69 thread at AVS forum. This post seemed to have relevant information.

Oh Internet, an official thread on a single model of a TV out of thousands. Thanks a bunch, I'll have to give that a read and hope I can follow along without my brain exploding.

edit: I was able to figure out a way to get it to work. Thanks for the links.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 15, 2007

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The only complaint I have about the image quality of my TV is a weird effect I've noticed where certain lines or letters on the screen will continue in a transparent line after it's finished.

The best example of what I'm talking about is when a character in South Park is standing outside the front door of someones house and the street appears behind them. The line of the street will continue across the persons face in a somewhat clear line.

Maybe a better example would be during the "This preview has been approved for all audiences" screen. The white letters against the green background will sort of ghost themselves across the rest of the screen. Not an entirely big deal but has become increasingly noticeable and irritating to me.

Is my TV hosed or is there a way of fixing this?

Hitachi Plasma 42HDS69 for reference.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

EnergizerFellow posted:

What the video source, connection type, only that one channel, etc? Internal tuner on cable or external cable box via hdmi, for instance.

I notice it primarily watching DVDs on my PS3 with an HDMI connection. I also notice it with my cable box watching channels with the gray bars on the side with a component connection.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

My HD-A2 seemingly just kicked the bucket in terms of optical audio output. For a while I noticed that the sound would skip when watching a movie and I couldn't understand why. I figured it had to do with the wires but after fidgeting nothing was fixed. Tonight, the sound wasn't coming through at all so I unplugged the optical audio wire and plugged it back in, sound comes back. Little while later it is skipping again. And when I say skipping I guess I mean hiccuping because there will be a second without audio every minute or so. I unplug and replug in the cable again and now there is no sound at all. I'm running the optical cable through a receiver and I have the same setup for my PS3 (optical through a receiver) and it works fine day in-day out. Is the HD-A2 just a piece of crap player or did I do something wrong to it? Could it be the wire that's hosed and not the player? I still have a modest but respectable collection of HD DVDs that I still like to watch every once in a while so it's kind of annoying for this to happen. I really don't want to hunt down an HD DVD player off someone if I can get mine up and running again.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

edit: I'm an idiot, ignore me.

• Locked thread