Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Neck Tooth posted:

Ha, but I think my issue is that it really DOES feel like the visor/helmet's gonna break when you change them out. I just can't get used to bending a piece of (expensive) plastic like that without getting all worried. I'll go to a therapist, maybe that'll help.

Agreed - the prices they charge for replacement visors are loving ridiculous, and I still get a little nervous when I can't quite get one side or the other to line up just right without "forcing" it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

n8r posted:

I would just like to point out to everyone that jeans apparently have less abrasion resistance than skin.

I read a while back that denim was worse than nothing because it sticks to the pavement and increases the risk of fractures. I can't find the source on this though.

To my knowledge these are the brands by which others are measured:
- Held gloves
- Vanson leathers
- Kushitani leathers
- Nankai leathers
- Helimot leathers (custom race leathers from a german guy in San Jose, CA)
- Langlitz jackets (for the ultimate classic "motorcycle jacket", made in Oregon)
- Wesco boots (The boot equivalent of a Langlitz jacket, also made in Oregon)
- Daytona boots (I have a pair, though not the hard shell ones)
- Shoei/Arai/Suomy helmets (but everyone already knows this...)

When I'm trolling Craigslist for gear this is the stuff that catches my eye.

I have a Teknic Lightning two piece, so I can't really look down on anyone else's gear, but if I won the lottery I'd be picking from this list.

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

It's got the 0.2cc big bore kit, she moves.

Bob Morales posted:

ICON is making a ton of black jackets.

I own an ICON perf'ed leather jacket and I'd be the first in line to tell anybody that they suck.

Please buy anything else.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

rope kid posted:

Where are the Aerostich superfans in this thread?
either out riding their $20,000 2007 bmws with the $2000 navigation system to their winter beach homes, or selling their bodies on the street because they have no money for food now that they bought aerostich?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neck Tooth posted:

Ha, but I think my issue is that it really DOES feel like the visor/helmet's gonna break when you change them out. I just can't get used to bending a piece of (expensive) plastic like that without getting all worried. I'll go to a therapist, maybe that'll help.

My HJC CL14 feels the same way. It always feels and sounds like its breaking, but it never does, and the mechanism has never loosened up. Its just loud and scary.

Does anyone have any experience with the KBC VR-2 visor? How are they to change out?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I'm looking to do a lot of touring this summer and was considering the Aerostich for a while. But between the alleged lack of cooling in really hot weather and the price, I couldn't bring myself to get it.

I got an Olympia Airglide setup instead and I really like it. It's usefull, well made and feels like it protects well. Not perfect, but I like it as a street setup and it was cheaper than a stich by about 300 bucks.

emil_muzz
Apr 14, 2002

OMGWTFWALLHACK posted:

I have two questions:
Are mesh pants really going to do much more than jeans for me? Would they be comfortable to wear over shorts? They don't look all that sturdy but if mesh pants +shorts is better than just plain jeans which is what I wear now I'll do it for the shorts.
Edit: Obviously I am talking about just driving around town at low speeds, not racing or anything.

All mesh is not created equal. I bought a mesh jacket (FirstGear) and mesh pants (AlpineStars) at the beginning of last summer, when I started riding, and wore it all summer until it got cold. Then, I shelled out for a leather jacket. I will never go back to the FirstGear jacket - it's a joke compared to leather, and compared to the AlpineStars pants.

These pants: http://newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/alpinestars/air_flo_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html

Are nice and thick, incredibly easy to get on and off (I commute), and have already proven their worth in one low-speed spill. I would not, repeat, would not use them for everyday highway commuting, though. For that poo poo, buy leather.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

... or selling their bodies on the street because they have no money for food now that they bought aerostich?
An Aerostich Roadcrafter 1-piece is $727. That's peanuts compared to even a cheap 1-piece leather suit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

But thats still ALOT of money, for most of us anways.

Now, I know this is more race-oriented than ride-oriented, but 1-pieces can be had for less http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=WP471-230

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Mentioned this in the other thread we had a bit ago about gear, might as well repost it. I have a 2pc Alpinestars suit I am trying to sell if anyone is interested. Jacket is 42US/52EU, pants are 34US/50EU.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Phat_Albert posted:

But thats still ALOT of money, for most of us anways.
That's true. I guess I was just surprised, because the way people talk about them, I figured they would be 2 grand or something.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

rope kid posted:

An Aerostich Roadcrafter 1-piece is $727. That's peanuts compared to even a cheap 1-piece leather suit.

Depends on what you buy I guess. I've got a Teknic 1piece that I paid $300 for and have crashed it two times at the track. It's held up pretty darn well, even though now it really does need a few repairs. Combine it with a rain suit and you'd have a pretty nice touring setup.

EDIT:
I would probably get a roadcrafter if I mostly did touring.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I'm looking for a full-face helmet and really like the design of the ones with a flip-up chin...Like this Shoei one.

Do ya'll like the flip-up ones vs. a solid helmet? And would you recommend that Shoei one?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
There was a few pages of discussion about flip up helmets in the last megathread and apparently a lot of the avaliable ones are poo poo, and even the best aren't as good as a dedicated full face.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Sir Tonk posted:

I'm looking for a full-face helmet and really like the design of the ones with a flip-up chin...Like this Shoei one.

Do ya'll like the flip-up ones vs. a solid helmet? And would you recommend that Shoei one?

I've never liked how the flip ups fit down below your ears. I think this is just because of how they have to stay on your head without the support of the chin bar. They generally are heavier than a standard full face. I just flip up my visor and speak up.

n8r fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 26, 2007

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Sir Tonk posted:

The Shoei ones are nice but if you have a Shoei shaped head I'd look more into getting a Schuberth, they have internal sun visors, and are some of the best helmets for noise isolation. The venting is pretty nice too. I'd own one but have more of a long oval head shape rather than a round or earth head. Both use metal in all their latching mechanisms though.

Gateoraade
Apr 22, 2006
The First Clencher

94whitesnake posted:

I own an ICON perf'ed leather jacket and I'd be the first in line to tell anybody that they suck.

Please buy anything else.

I keep hearing this and my dumbass bought ALL icon gear minus my helmet. Everything fits fine and feels like it would protect me in a fall... but I have no experience in falling as I've only been riding for 6 months. I'm starting to think that the guy at the shop totally bullshitted me into buying expensive, lovely gear.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gateoraade posted:

I keep hearing this and my dumbass bought ALL icon gear minus my helmet. Everything fits fine and feels like it would protect me in a fall... but I have no experience in falling as I've only been riding for 6 months. I'm starting to think that the guy at the shop totally bullshitted me into buying expensive, lovely gear.

If/when you crash, post pictures of your gear (and skin!) and let us know how it holds up.

Do you guys still wear your crashed jackets? I've got an all black 'River Road' leather jacket I got for $40 from a powersports place that closed not that long ago, I got in a 40mph crash and slid on my back/arm for a bit, it's a little scuffed but not in that bad of shape. I have new stuff though, so I don't wear it. My friends called it my Knight Rider jacket :(

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Can anyone recommend me some good well priced (read, poor college student priced) two piece leather sets that I can pickup for doing trackdays and riding this summer? I was really hoping to spend less than $600 but I'm thinking if I wait a while I could spend as much as $1000.

I was looking at the Teknics Lightning suit and the AGV Echo suit but I'm not sure about the quality of a suit that cheap. I should probably stop being so impatient and wait til I can spend more on good quality leather. Also, how stupid is it to purchase without having tried that exact suit? I know my size from trying on stuff from a local shop, but I'm not sure how universal I can assume that size is.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

rope kid posted:

That's true. I guess I was just surprised, because the way people talk about them, I figured they would be 2 grand or something.

I told a friend of mine I was looking at buying a Darien two-piece a few weeks ago and Aerostich sent me a bill for $24.95 :cb:

pr0zac posted:

I know my size from trying on stuff from a local shop, but I'm not sure how universal I can assume that size is.

I go from a 44 in A-*s to a 40 in Joe Rocket to a 42 in Teknic, and the fit in the same size across the same brand differs depending on the model of jacket/pant you try on. If you're gonna buy from the internet, do it someplace that has a great return policy (NewEnough)

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 27, 2007

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

pr0zac posted:

Also, how stupid is it to purchase without having tried that exact suit? I know my size from trying on stuff from a local shop, but I'm not sure how universal I can assume that size is.

Pretty stupid. The suit I'm trying to sell above, I bought without trying on and it ended up being about 1 size too big for both the pants and jacket.

Sizes will vary according to the brand. Different brands have different "cuts" to them

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Phat_Albert posted:

My HJC CL14 feels the same way. It always feels and sounds like its breaking, but it never does, and the mechanism has never loosened up. Its just loud and scary.

Does anyone have any experience with the KBC VR-2 visor? How are they to change out?

That's interesting... I ended up with an HJC CL-15 and the visor swap process is extremely simple and works great. Maybe when we meet up for the BMW Rally I'll have to take a look at yours just cause I'm curious about how much its different.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
What are you guys wearing for hot-weather gear? I'm riding to class and work every day and I need something non-leather (because I ride in the rain too) that will vent as much as possible. Speeds are <50mph at all times, I have full leathers to wear for high-speed stuff.

Is mesh gonna work for <50mph riding? I ride 2 miles to work and between .5 and 1 mile to class.

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

Blaise posted:

What are you guys wearing for hot-weather gear? I'm riding to class and work every day and I need something non-leather (because I ride in the rain too) that will vent as much as possible. Speeds are <50mph at all times, I have full leathers to wear for high-speed stuff.

Is mesh gonna work for <50mph riding? I ride 2 miles to work and between .5 and 1 mile to class.

I just bought some FirstGear HT Air 2.0 Overpants (or something like that), and I've heard they're great in hot weather although I haven't been able to try 'em out yet. Anyways, not the most flattering of cuts but they have foam armor in the knees and hips, and regular textile at the high wear spots at the knees and butt. The rest is all mesh. I was also looking at alot of the Joe Rocket Alter Ego stuff, but I've heard more than a few stories of it not holding up that great in crashes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

`Nemesis posted:

That's interesting... I ended up with an HJC CL-15 and the visor swap process is extremely simple and works great. Maybe when we meet up for the BMW Rally I'll have to take a look at yours just cause I'm curious about how much its different.

Oh, the process is simple on the CL-14, it just sounds like its breaking.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Blaise posted:

What are you guys wearing for hot-weather gear?

I got this FirstGear jacket from NewEnough a few weeks ago. It was really humid today and up in the 80's, but the jacket breathed well enough at less than 35mph around town.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
How do I keep my leathers in good shape? Also, what are you guys using to clean them?

TobyLerone
Dec 7, 2003
Sitting is cool.
Mink oil. Lots and lots of mink oil. I use it on everything I own made of leather. Bullwhips, belts, jackets, holsters, scabbards and sheaths. Apply heavily with a brush or cloth, rub in, allow to rest a bit, and wipe off the excess. It might remain tacky for a few days but it will wear off or continue to soak in.

It protects without detergents and keeps the leather supple by replenishing animal fats with good water repellency. It doesn't leave a waxy crayon like layer that Kiwi boot wax will. Ignore the complaints about "over softening" caused by mink oil. Riding leather isn't supposed to be stiff, It's supposed to be comfortable and long wearing. It won't band-aid color loss from scuffed leathers but it will darken and age the wearing in a very distinguished manner.

My Havana Joe boots have been worn daily for more than 4 years through riding conditions, winter salt, seasonal mud and dry summer farm labor. They are on their 2nd pair of soles and the leather is still holding up very well. I wouldn't use anything else.

*edit*

Cleaning leather is almost unnecessary. You can use saddle soap, which is a fatty mixture with some detergents in it, but it's labor intensive. You have to rub it in and wash it off with water. The end results were a lot of dirty rags and a soggy coat that had to dry out before being worn. Just apply minx wax every year and you'll be fine.

TobyLerone fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 28, 2007

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

For all my street riding now I'm using Olympia Airglide 2 jacket/pants. Textile with mesh panels, very cool in warm weather. And both have a removable wind and waterproof liner that makes them warm into the 40s. I've been drizzled on and didn't get wet, but firsthand have no experience with it in heavy rain.

Overall I like the setup a lot, it's hugely flexible, comfy, decently armored, and doesn't look like space gear.

Don't be fooled by the crappy website, it's good gear: http://www.olympiamotosports.com/airglide/airglide.htm

*Also I won't wear pure mesh anymore, the textile with mesh panels and my perfed leather suit are cool enough and when I went down at ~20mph in my mesh pants they got totally trashed and I rashed up my knee.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I tried on a jacket and gloves at the Honda place and really like them both. The jacket is really nice, although a bit expensive, but it's the best perforated leather jacket I've found. And I like the big HONDA logo on it...just not the cartoon rockets.

HRC Jacket

Blaster 2.0 Pants

HRC Gloves

The jacket has all the armor I need as do the gloves. The pants seem more than adequate for perforated leather. Anyone have stories about JoeRocket gear?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sir Tonk posted:

The jacket has all the armor I need as do the gloves. The pants seem more than adequate for perforated leather. Anyone have stories about JoeRocket gear?

Mapless likes it, I think it's cheaply made. My dislike applies more to their textiles than their leathers, though. Still, I'd probably put my money in someone else's pocket (Alpinestars or KomodoGear, probably - Dainese and Spidi are loving ridiculously expensive)

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

Mapless likes it, I think it's cheaply made.
True on both counts, but it's held up well in various mishaps and I would be comfortable buying it again at some point in the future if I couldn't find anything better on hand.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Jazzzzz posted:

Mapless posted:

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into KomodoGear, but don't like most of the stuff from AlpineStars that I've seen so far.

edit

Komodogear has some nice jackets on their site, where would you suggest buying from online? I'll buy from a local place if they have what I want, just need an idea of pricing to expect.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 29, 2007

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

Anyone have stories about JoeRocket gear?

I own a JR blaster jacket and those exact pants. They seem fine, I like them :)

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

I'm also a happy owner of a two-piece Joe Rocket leather suit. They make great-value suits and I'm quite confident mine will protect me well if I need it to. Their textiles are generally a little more iffy in my experience, but I haven't bought one in the last few years, so they may be up to snuff now - I'm not sure.

mmmjstone
Sep 22, 2004

titty whiskey
I have a two peice set of JR leather and I can't complain. I look like a power ranger, but I can't complain.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
I've been looking for a silver/black perf leather jacket online for a couple weeks now with little success--I've found several, but I've only really liked the style of one or two (yes, style okay). <$400 preferably.

I really like the look of the AGV Sport Pilot but I can't find anyone that sells the silver version: Motorcycle Superstore sells blue, black and red. Hell, the drat silver one is the default view on their website!

Anything negative to be heard of AGV?

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

ChiliMac posted:

Anything negative to be heard of AGV?

Some people don't like them but one of my best riding friends swears by them. He has an AGV Sport Podium 1pc that has held up very well.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ChiliMac posted:

I really like the look of the AGV Sport Pilot but I can't find anyone that sells the silver version: Motorcycle Superstore sells blue, black and red. Hell, the drat silver one is the default view on their website!

That's a nice perf leather jacket, but only goes down to 40.

Anyone know of good jackets for someone with a 36" chest? All the ones I like end at 40 on the low-end. Perforated leather preferred since it's like 100+ in the summer here.

edit

I like JoeRocket's Twist (only one they sell in my size and I'd wear), but it's not perforated. Do any of you have experience with the vented leather jackets like JoeRocket's Twist, or FirstGear's Honcho? The Honcho looks like it'd vent better, but I don't know if either would suffice when it hits 100 with high humidity.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 29, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

Sir Tonk posted:

That's a nice perf leather jacket, but only goes down to 40.

Anyone know of good jackets for someone with a 36" chest? All the ones I like end at 40 on the low-end. Perforated leather preferred since it's like 100+ in the summer here.

I have a MotoGP Corkscrew Jacket that has perf'd leather on parts of the chest and inner arms. I bought a medium and wear a 38-40 jacket, and it's a bit loose.. but the small was snug as a mother gently caress, and I'd say it's probably sized for a 36-38". Worn it in mid 70's without too much trouble unless I'm at a standstill, but even then it's certainly bearable. The only time I really started sweating was when I had jacket/helmet/gloves on and was having a bitch of a time airing up my tires at the gas station for a few minutes. I could see burning up around 100+ though unless I was on the highway. Since I've bought the jacket and been riding though, it hasn't hit the 80's yet so :).

To be honest though, I'm not completely impressed (especially for the price). It just seems like it was put together sloppily, with loose threads, a button popped off, jacket in the store had some velcro on the sleeve closure torn off, etc. I bought some MotoGP RPM gloves off newenough closeouts too, and the velcro on them isn't that great, the closure's aren't that great, and after basically a month the glove is already wearing pretty heavily around the velcro areas and such. I probably won't be buying any MotoGP gear in the future -- all that said I'd trust the jacket in a get off. If the gloves stay on my hands, I'd trust them too. But definitely sloppy.

Jolci fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 29, 2007