Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sir Tonk posted:

FirstGear's Honcho? The Honcho looks like it'd vent better, but I don't know if either would suffice when it hits 100 with high humidity.

If you're riding in 100 degree heat with high humidity, you want perforated leather. It's still going to be hot as balls, but it will breath a shitload better than solid leather with zippered vents in it. If you spend a lot of time riding in those kinds of temperatures you might want to look at a mesh jacket with perforated leather on the impact points (arms/spine/chest) or dropping the coin on a MotoPort kevlar mesh jacket.

I had a Joe Rocket mesh+perf'd leather jacket that I wore during the summer that I lowsided in last year. It was hot as gently caress in 90 deg. weather in that thing anytime you were at a standstill. A solid leather jacket with vents would be like sitting in a sauna, and fully perforated jacket would only be a mild improvement unless you were constantly moving. In the kind of heat you're talking about, you'd be soaked with sweat almost instantly.

edit: goddammit I keep winding up with the first post on a new page and flipping out thinking I hit post instead of reply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I finally picked up some decent gloves. They're motoGP's flyer from the newenough closeouts. They breathe well, are very comfy, and seem like they would be solid in a wreck. My only beef is that they leave little black scuzzies on your hands, but I hope that will go away over time. For 25 bucks I'm pretty happy with them.

flake edit: there's something about wearing black leather gloves that makes me want to do a mob hit, or crack a safe or something.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Jazzzzz posted:

I had a Joe Rocket mesh+perf'd leather jacket that I wore during the summer that I lowsided in last year.

How did it hold up?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Blaise posted:

How did it hold up?

I only landed/skidded on the perfed leather, which scuffed up a bit but otherwise did fine. The JR textile pants I was wearing, which were a much heavier fabric than the mesh on the jacket, melted through in about 3 or 4 spots. Not tore, MELTED. If I hadn't been wearing jeans underneath them I would've been picking polyester out of my legs for days.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have a "Professional Strength" aerosol glass cleaner that I use on the windshield of my car. I have a bug-splattered face shield on my helmet. Is there any danger of messing up the face shield if I use the glass cleaner on it? I could always use Windex, but this stuff is ten times better.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Jazzzzz posted:

I only landed/skidded on the perfed leather, which scuffed up a bit but otherwise did fine. The JR textile pants I was wearing, which were a much heavier fabric than the mesh on the jacket, melted through in about 3 or 4 spots. Not tore, MELTED. If I hadn't been wearing jeans underneath them I would've been picking polyester out of my legs for days.

Sounds like I'll be buying more leather gear. How fast of a lowside was it?

On that account, anybody got a recommendation for a good full-perf jacket? The only one I've seen so far is the one that vanson sells on newenough (perf back and arms)

Blaise fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 31, 2007

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess

Uthor posted:

I have a "Professional Strength" aerosol glass cleaner that I use on the windshield of my car. I have a bug-splattered face shield on my helmet. Is there any danger of messing up the face shield if I use the glass cleaner on it? I could always use Windex, but this stuff is ten times better.

I've put all sorts of chemicals all over my Arai's visor, which I've had for over 2 years now. It's never seem to have had an adverse effect.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Has anyone tried out a Joe Rocket Supermoto jacket? I'm in dire need of a nice perforated leather jacket and it seems to offer what I need.

About chemicals and visors, I don't think it matters unless there is some anti-glare or anti-fog coating on them as glass cleaner will destroy those coatings.

emil_muzz
Apr 14, 2002

Leroy Diplowski posted:

flake edit: there's something about wearing black leather gloves that makes me want to do a mob hit, or crack a safe or something.

When I got my gloves that had armored and padded knuckles, I went around the house punching stuff. Gloves do funny stuff to 'ya.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Uthor posted:

My HJC helmet owners booklet says to not use chemicals on the INSIDE of the visor because it'll ruin the anti-fog coating or something like that. It's probably fine on the outside, can't be much worse than bug guts at any rate.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Jolci posted:

I have a MotoGP Corkscrew Jacket that has perf'd leather on parts of the chest and inner arms.

Newenough is selling the MotoGP Corkscrew jacket for $139.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Oh man, that looks like a great deal. I may order one tomorrow.... :woop:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Weren't those "Moto GP" brand leather suits having some serious construction issues? Seams bursting and whatnot?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Blaise posted:

Sounds like I'll be buying more leather gear. How fast of a lowside was it?

25mph on new, smooth blacktop

Skier posted:

Weren't those "Moto GP" brand leather suits having some serious construction issues? Seams bursting and whatnot?

Barnacle Bill posted on the fireblade.org forums about a few of the MotoGP kangaroo leather suits sent to him looking like they exploded when the wearer landed on the speed hump, a few people responded saying that they'd crash tested theirs and hadn't had any problems - might've been a run of a few suits, or the people w/ no problems were just lucky

Sybok
May 25, 2006
Just bought one of the Moto GP corkscrew jackets myself. Will give thoughts when it arrives this week.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Uthor posted:

IIRC Windex will gently caress your visor, especially if its one of those iridium ones. My mate used to use Windex (I think) on his visor and it hosed the mirror finish up and scratched it to buggery.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Road_Warrior posted:

IIRC Windex will gently caress your visor, especially if its one of those iridium ones. My mate used to use Windex (I think) on his visor and it hosed the mirror finish up and scratched it to buggery.

It's a clear visor and I've used Windex on it before. I haven't used it on the inside, but the anti-fog coating is already gone (I had some streaks inside and they had to go at the cost of the anti-fog).

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I only use Plexus on my visor.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Plexus is gods gift to plastics. It's known to even make scratches disappear.

That stuff was made for aircraft windshilds, and has found it's use in the boating industry, paintball, and motorcycling. It's also kinda pricy... I just use my dad's when I can.

When I clean my visor, I just use HOT water and my fingertips. My fingertips aren't going to scratch the plastic, but they do help pry bugs off.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A comment on textile pants: They are essentially single-use safety gear. They will protect you in a fall, but only once, then they are trash. Leather is pricier but also lasts longer. So you either pay up front for years of riding in leather, or you spend a little less for a one-time use garment. This does not factor in convenience, comfort or weather protection.

That being said, does anyone have any experience with Dainese textile pants? I got a great deal on my Dainese leather jacket a couple of years ago and something that zips to it would be nice. I'm thinking either the D-tech ones (Hooper I think) or their Gore-Tex ones if I can get a pair on clearance.
I think it's either that or Joe Rocket stuff. They started out of a shop here in Toronto so the warranty is top notch apparently... any zips, stitches, whatever that break in the first year they'll replace. Nobody distributes First Gear stuff up here and you kind of have to hunt for other manufacturers.

edit:
speaking of visors, has anyone ever used Rain-X on a visor? It says on the bottle not to use on plastics unless approved by the manufacturer, so I doubt it would do any good and would probably do alot of bad, but holy hell does it ever work like magic on my car windscreen!

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 31, 2007

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Nerobro posted:

Plexus is gods gift to plastics. It's known to even make scratches disappear.

Holy poo poo. I didn't realize it was that good. Would you guys say its even better than the Honda cleaner/polish?

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

ClockworkZero posted:

speaking of visors, has anyone ever used Rain-X on a visor? It says on the bottle not to use on plastics unless approved by the manufacturer, so I doubt it would do any good and would probably do alot of bad, but holy hell does it ever work like magic on my car windscreen!

I've heard nothing but bad things about Rain-X on visors. I use Turtle Wax after I clean it and the water zips off pretty easily. Doesn't last too long, though.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

iroc_dis posted:

Holy poo poo. I didn't realize it was that good. Would you guys say its even better than the Honda cleaner/polish?

Nope! But Honda is discontinueing theirs for a bit for some crazy ozone/cancer law or something. I need to stock up.

On the Joe Rocket stuff, I have 3 joe rocket jackets, Leather perf supermoto/Textile leather/mesh so far I've been pretty happy with them. I have the supermoto leather pants as well. Joe rocket boots. On the boots the only thing I don't like are the buckle things, they're plastic and seem somewhat cheaply made. Other then that they are nice. Pants fit good. I don't like Joe Rocket gloves though, I have a pair but they're meh at best. I went with some MotoGP's that I really like. Wanted Helds but couldn't justify 200 bux for them.

Helmets, I have a scorpion exo400 right now. But it's really windy and kinda heavy. Looking into getting a shark RSR2 for my next helmet.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

ClockworkZero posted:

I got a great deal on my Dainese leather jacket a couple of years ago and something that zips to it would be nice.

Only Dainese pants will zip to Dainese jackets since they use a proprietary zipper. To mix brands you would have to have the zipper on the jacket changed out.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
How compatible are connective zippers between brands? If I get that MotoGP jacket am I then required to get a pair of MotoGP pants to go with it? I'm assuming so, just thought to check though.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
bought a new helmet today to replace my ill-fitting 10 year old HJC CL-10.

Scorpion EXO700 Rivet

I spent about 30 minutes at the local shop trying on helmets from Aria, Shoei, HJC and some others, and this $210 Scorpion and a $400 Shoei fit the best. I dont like graphics and the Shoei didn't have any, but the the Shoei didn't have a breath deflector and seemed to fog up in the store, while I couldn't make the Scorpion fog up. That and $200 less sealed the deal.

I know I could get this helmet cheaper online (I'm not sure how cheap) but I wanted it today so I ponied up the $210.

It's a small, I'm a pin head

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

aventari posted:

Scorpion EXO700 Rivet

I spent about 30 minutes at the local shop trying on helmets from Aria, Shoei, HJC and some others, and this $210 Scorpion and a $400 Shoei fit the best. I dont like graphics and the Shoei didn't have any, but the the Shoei didn't have a breath deflector and seemed to fog up in the store, while I couldn't make the Scorpion fog up. That and $200 less sealed the deal.

I know I could get this helmet cheaper online (I'm not sure how cheap) but I wanted it today so I ponied up the $210.

It's a small, I'm a pin head

I had that helmet (Rivet in blue) and just replaced it after my accident with a Shoei. The Shoei is ridiculously comfortable and light but I kind of regret not buying another Scorpion. I don't think its $150 nicer though, and it does fog up a lot easier.

And $210 (if thats with tax) is about what you'd pay online also so don't sweat it.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 1, 2007

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

aventari posted:

Scorpion EXO700 Rivet

I fit into Shoei's TZ-R pretty well, would you say that the shape is similar? They don't sell these at the shop I was at, so haven't tried one on yet. And from NewEnough's description, they seem like a hell of a deal.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

aventari posted:

... while I couldn't make the Scorpion fog up. That and $200 less sealed the deal.

All of the other helmet manufacturers need to steal Scorpion's fog-proofing system. Even after repeatedly cleaning the inside of the visor, I could never get my EXO700's visor to fog unless it was below freezing outside. My Arai's visor will fog if there's more than 50% humidity in the air, meaning it fogs every single summer night here. I'm importing a pinlock system from the UK for it - the Shoei system that's available in the US works great, no idea why they haven't started selling the system for the Arais here yet.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Sir Tonk posted:

I fit into Shoei's TZ-R pretty well, would you say that the shape is similar? They don't sell these at the shop I was at, so haven't tried one on yet. And from NewEnough's description, they seem like a hell of a deal.

I'm pretty sure it was the Shoei TZ-R that fit me in addition to the Scorpion EXO700. The fit was almost identical between the to to me (in the small size).

I noticed riding today and tonight that it's really nice being able to turn my head on the freeway to look at my blind-spot without the helmet moving about and the visor blowing open :)

The Scorpion is pretty tight in the cheek area, but I have a feeling it will wear in, or I will get used to it. It's not uncomfortable, just a bit annoying. Oh and one of the vents on the top is a bit loose. it opens and closes, just not solidly.

And I feel better knowing I didn't get ripped off paying $210 out-the-door (thanks pr0zac)

Sybok
May 25, 2006
I just bought the EXO-700 rivet(red) this weekend as well and i paid $200 for the helmet as well as $10 for the windblocker for the bottom and a dark smoke visor replacement. You got it at the right price.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

pr0zac posted:

How compatible are connective zippers between brands? If I get that MotoGP jacket am I then required to get a pair of MotoGP pants to go with it? I'm assuming so, just thought to check though.

I think Dainese is the only manufacturer to use their own zipper. I believe some other posters here have successfully attached different brands of clothing.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

ranathari posted:

What do you guys think of RST leathers? I'm thinking of getting an RST SRT leather jacket with a view to buying the trousers at a later date (click for bigger):

I've seen enough people using these that I can only presume that they're ok. If you can afford to pony up a bit more for a set of A*'s, Dainese, or the likes then they're all excellent quality and will last. I think my two-piece A*'s were end of line and came to about £400. If you can live without knee sliders you can probably get them for cheaper too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

aventari posted:

I noticed riding today and tonight that it's really nice being able to turn my head on the freeway to look at my blind-spot without the helmet moving about and the visor blowing open :)

The Scorpion is pretty tight in the cheek area, but I have a feeling it will wear in, or I will get used to it. It's not uncomfortable, just a bit annoying.

My HJC did that on the highway, which sucked. I could make it stop by tightening the chinstrap, but then my neck hurt every time I bent my head down. I bought some thicker cheek pads and it all went away. I actually like the extra tightness in the cheeks, though it makes the helmet more noticeable while wearing it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sybok posted:

I just bought the EXO-700 rivet(red) this weekend as well and i paid $200 for the helmet as well as $10 for the windblocker for the bottom and a dark smoke visor replacement. You got it at the right price.

Do you think that the windblocker is worth the cash? I was looking at it on NewEnough and couldn't tell if it would be effective.

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

Sir Tonk posted:

Do you think that the windblocker is worth the cash? I was looking at it on NewEnough and couldn't tell if it would be effective.

Haven't tried the scorpion helmets, but I know on my Shoei the little windblocker/chin guard reduces wind noise for me fairly significantly.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

Do you think that the windblocker is worth the cash?

YES! My new X-11 has something similar and it keeps my contact lenses from drying out. I thought I would only use it for colder weather but I leave it on all the time now.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Uthor posted:

I completely removed the mirror finish from a visor using standard windex and Rain-X. I'd go with something gentler if it's a tinted visor.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Sir Tonk posted:

Yeah, I used my Scorpion for a long time without it, and then went and bought one, and it helps quite a lot to stop the wind from blowing poo poo up into your helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate
Have to give a shout out to Lexol leather conditioner. Just greased up my jacket and boots the other day, and the leather is stupid soft and conditioned. My jacket actually fits better because the leather isn't overly stiff in areas around my wrists or the inside of my elbows any more. I heard it can darken leather, but I also used it on some white leather parts of my jacket and haven't been able to see any sort of difference.