Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I have a feeling I'll be dropping some coin on new gear this summer. I picked up a used Dainese two piece suit in great condition for a bitchin price last fall. It was great in colder weather but it's going to completely suck rear end for warmer weather. Non-perforated, extremely limited vents, and super thick leather doesn't make for a very good summer suit.

Would I notice a big difference in perforated pants? I'm thinking of just getting a new perforated jacket that will connect to my current pants. It seems you would get more cooling by keeping your core in the airflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
I'm going to be purchasing my first set of gear in the next couple months to get ready for riding this summer. Summer out here in Arizona however is an average of 100-105 degrees, so its gonna be hot. For that reason I'm looking at all-mesh jackets. My first choice was the Icon Hooligan Mesh Jacket but I'm getting the feeling that Icon jackets aren't gonna help me much when I fall. Anyone have any experience with mesh Icon jackets? My second choice of jackets was the Joe Rocket UFO Mesh Jacket, which is similar to the Phoenix 4.0 Jacket but I like the styling on this one more. I've heard good things about these Joe Rocket/Phoenix jackets.

Gloves, I'm getting gloves too. Something like these Joe Rocket Atomic 2.0 Perforated Gloves perhaps? Or maybe these Cortech Accelerator Gloves? They are about $20 different, is there a whole lot of difference between them?

I'm also looking for a backpack to carry my crap while I'm riding. The only requirements I have are that it has some sort of padded laptop area, and possibly helmet storage. Newenough rants and raves about the Icon Squad Backpack, but the Firstgear Helmet Backpack also seems to be a decent backpack as well. Anyone have either one?

As for helmets I'm pretty sold on the Scorpion EXO-700. Its DOT and SNELL certified, and I've heard of people who ride with them who say they're great. I've just got to find a local shop to try one on at and if it all fits nicely I'll pick it up.

All and all its going to certainly be an expensive venture, I'll be laying down $400-$500 just for the first bit of equipment.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

iamthexander posted:

Phoenix 4.0 Jacket
Cortech Accelerator Gloves

I have the Phoenix 4.0 jacket. I like my leather better, but I definitely see a point of getting one if you are constantly seeing 100+ degrees. For the most part I liked it except my fit was a little loose. With the liner in and a sweatshirt, I was fine down to about 70 degrees. I never felt too hot in it while I was moving, but standing still at 100 degrees is still lovely. The snaps at the elbows suck rear end, however. Good thing I went and got a leather jacket with the same exact ones...

I love those gloves. I've only worn three pairs since I began riding, but those are the best. I'm going to pick up another pair when those wear out. I was a bit apprehensive about spending that much money, but they were worth it. The first couple times I wore them, they were tight and it was hot, so they were tough to get on/off and turned my hands black, but they are nicely molded now and are just fine in the heat. There's no wind protection if it gets colder than 60 degrees or so, but that's not a big deal.

OMGWTFWALLHACK
Jan 28, 2004

Hated by the internet.

aventari posted:

but the the Shoei didn't have a breath deflector

It comes in the box, but they don't usually attach them on the display models.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I'm looking for new gloves, something that will protect me, but I can wear commuting to work everyday.

I'd like to spend <$100 but i could go a little higher. I also want to use these gloves at the occasional trackday.
What does you guys think of Held gloves? specifically: http://newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/steve_motorcycle_gloves.html
or http://newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/ninja_motorcycle_gloves.html

OMGWTFWALLHACK posted:

It comes in the box, but they don't usually attach them on the display models.

hmm that's interesting. I'm still happy I got the Scorpion :)

Sybok
May 25, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

Do you think that the windblocker is worth the cash? I was looking at it on NewEnough and couldn't tell if it would be effective.

From what I have been hearing is that wind noise is one of the only negatives about the scorpion line. I have only had it out 1 time so far out on dirt biking trails and i can't complain about any wind noise or and wind at all under the helmet.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Just spent $215 at New Enough on overpants and boots. I was originally going to buy the Tour Master Solution boots, but it doesn't look like I'm going to get to ride as much this season because of my new job. I decided to go with the Hein Gericke boots they have on closeout right now for $50, so I'll post here when I get them in (hopefully by this weekend). When I'm riding more, I'll spring for something more waterproof.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

aventari posted:

I'm looking for new gloves, something that will protect me, but I can wear commuting to work everyday.

I'd like to spend <$100 but i could go a little higher. I also want to use these gloves at the occasional trackday.
What does you guys think of Held gloves? specifically: http://newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/steve_motorcycle_gloves.html
or http://newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/ninja_motorcycle_gloves.html

hmm that's interesting. I'm still happy I got the Scorpion :)

I have the Ninjas and I really like them. Gives a lot of dexterity and held up very well in a lowside. The vents are nice for warm and hot weather, and although they are fine in mild temperatures and light rain, if it's pouring or freezing outside and you're going to be riding for a while you'll need a different pair. But overall very happy with them, it's a quality glove.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

iamthexander posted:

I'm also looking for a backpack to carry my crap while I'm riding. The only requirements I have are that it has some sort of padded laptop area, and possibly helmet storage. Newenough rants and raves about the Icon Squad Backpack, but the Firstgear Helmet Backpack also seems to be a decent backpack as well. Anyone have either one?

I bought the Camelbak Talon for Iraq and have been using it on my bike since I got back. It's got a hard plastic piece against your back for support and a chest strap that keeps it from flying up. Also a 100oz water bladder for those long rides. Lots of space in it, might be too much space for some, but perfect for college books. It's pricey, but I'd say the build-quality is high enough to justify the cost.

It's a greyish-green color.

The link might not work, it's a flash site and hard to find direct links. It's in the MILITARY section under hydration systems. First one on the top left.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Check it out, the mailman brought me some sweet schwag today :c00l:

The Cortech jacket is loving AWESOME. It fits perfect, and has so much more than my other jacket. The waterproof front closure and removabe liner are really nice, as well as the leather covered forearms. The elbow pads in this also extend down the forearm, and are grooved to fit your arm so they don't really move around. To go with the interior CE armor, it also has exterior shoulder armor as well as an integrated back protector.

Next up is boots and those Bionic knee guards :q:

Edit: Oh, and I need a new helmet. I have an HJC CS-12 I got last season, and there seams to be a nagging air leak coming from somewhere. This caused me to get poo poo forced into my eye, and now it's all red and irritated. This is the second time this has happened, are there any helmet skirts that I can get for the CS-12 to help this?

I went down and tried on helmets, and like the Scorpion Exo700, but the fit felt the same as my HJC, and I've heard they are loud. The HJC CS-SP looked like a really nice helmet, but I'm afraid it will have the same problem. Any suggestions?

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 2, 2007

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
How tightly should a pair of leather pants fit?

I just bought a pair of Joe Rocket Blaster 2.0 leather pants from New Enough, partially on the good word they'd recieved in this thread. I plan to use them for commuting, weekend sport use, and possibly some track use on the future.

They came in today and I tried them on. I find them to be pretty tight from halfway below my thigh on down, kind of loose in the butt, and nice and comfy around my hips and waist. They're not so tight that they're uncomfortable, just tight enough that fitting on a pair of jeans beneath them would be next to impossible.

I'm wondering if this is how they should fit to keep the armor in place, or if I should send them back for the next size up.

Also, they won't zip to my Fieldsheer textile jacket. The zippers appear to be similar, but face opposite directions. I'll have to have that switched around.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Konrad posted:

They came in today and I tried them on. I find them to be pretty tight from halfway below my thigh on down, kind of loose in the butt, and nice and comfy around my hips and waist. They're not so tight that they're uncomfortable, just tight enough that fitting on a pair of jeans beneath them would be next to impossible.

I didn't think the Blaster 2.0s were supposed to be worn over pants.

RealDealNamowicz posted:

I went down and tried on helmets, and like the Scorpion Exo700, but the fit felt the same as my HJC, and I've heard they are loud. The HJC CS-SP looked like a really nice helmet, but I'm afraid it will have the same problem. Any suggestions?

There are some good reviews on this site.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Konrad posted:

I just bought a pair of Joe Rocket Blaster 2.0 leather pants

I bought those, had the same problem, and exchanged them for leather overpants. Honestly, I'm probably going to re-buy a pair of dedicated leather pants, as the overpants are just bulky and heavy. Take a few days to decide if you like them or not.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
Should I expect my pants to stretch with time?

I won't be able to try them out on the bike for another week, as it's supposed to be 30-40 degrees with rain and sleet for a while.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Got my pants and boots from NewEnough today.

First, the good. The FirstGear HT2.0 overpants are really nice. I'm very happy with them. They're comfortable and they fit really well over jeans. Even zipped all the way up, they were pretty easy to get on. With the legs unzipped, it was even easier. They don't zip to my jacket, but I'm going to have it altered so they will.

I was pretty worried about getting overpants because I'm so tall. In khakis, I wear a 36 inseam. These have a 35 inch inseam and they're just right.

Now, about the boots. I bought the Hein Gericke engineer boots on closeout from Newenough. They're OK, but I'm glad I didn't spend more than $50 on them. The buckles seem cheap and I'm going to have to punch a couple more holes in the adjustment straps around the calves. They'll be good for light riding, but I'm going to want something more substantial later on. They're steel toe, so I'll be able to get some non-motorcycle use out of them.

It's currently 30 degrees out and there's ice on the roads, so the bike is staying in storage and I can't test any of the gear on the bike. I've got my fingers crossed for better weather next week, at least above freezing. If it gets warm enough to melt the ice on the roads, I'm getting it out of storage for sure.

LordOfThePants fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 6, 2007

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I bought a pair of Dainese Hooper textile pants the other day. I tried on some Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants too, but they just didn't fit right with my jacket which is cut a little on the short side. Plus the Hoopers zip to my jacket perfectly, all the way around. They were $100 cdn more than the Alter Egos and about $50ish more than Ballistics but they're at least that much nicer. loving Dainese, why do you have to make such nice stuff? It's like you try on some other brands and you're like "this isn't too bad" and they you decide to try on the Dainese stuff and it's like "gently caress, this is going to end up being an expensive hobby!" Anyway, the fit is excellent, they've got good armour and padding and a removable lining that should make them good for good 3 season riding. The only downside is you can only wear them over light shorts or long underwear/tights. They definitely won't fit over jeans. Maybe some lightweight khakis/dress pants without the liner but I didn't try it.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
How well does Underarmor and other stuff like that work at keeping you cool in the summer? I just got that partially perforated MotoGP Corkscrew jacket, and while I know it'll work well up to about 85 degrees, when June and July hit (and I start doing track days!) I'm going to need a bit more help to keep from baking I think.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

pr0zac posted:

How well does Underarmor and other stuff like that work at keeping you cool in the summer? I just got that partially perforated MotoGP Corkscrew jacket...

I just got the same jacket (really happy with it, by the way) and I know I'm going to be hatin' life here on the Texas coast, so I'd like some tips on staying cool under leather as well so I don't have to go and get another lovely mesh jacket.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Anyone have a Shark RSR2 helmet? I'm hopefully getting one here soon and would like a review of them.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003
Quick question, I can't get my jacket to zip up at the writs with my gloves on as they're too bulky. Is this going to be a big problem when I crash? The gloves are properly long and fully cover my wrists.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

w_hat posted:

Quick question, I can't get my jacket to zip up at the writs with my gloves on as they're too bulky. Is this going to be a big problem when I crash? The gloves are properly long and fully cover my wrists.

Long gauntlet type gloves are meant to be worn over the sleeve.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

pr0zac posted:

How well does Underarmor and other stuff like that work at keeping you cool in the summer? I just got that partially perforated MotoGP Corkscrew jacket, and while I know it'll work well up to about 85 degrees, when June and July hit (and I start doing track days!) I'm going to need a bit more help to keep from baking I think.
I can't speak for wearing it under motorcycle gear, but I wear it in the summer on my bicycle and it's amazing. No matter how hard I'm riding or how hot it is, it keeps me cool.

I've heard Target sells something that's similar (but not the Under Armor brand) and it's a fair bit cheaper. Under Armor gets kind of expensive at $25 for a short-sleeved top.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

LordOfThePants posted:

I've heard Target sells something that's similar (but not the Under Armor brand) and it's a fair bit cheaper. Under Armor gets kind of expensive at $25 for a short-sleeved top.

They do as well as Walmart. I have a couple of the Walmart version of the UA Loose Gear and its exactly the same as US only half the price, if even that.

Big_Poot
Sep 3, 2002
Some of my new gear:

HJC CL-15 Dragon Helmet and MotoGP Grid Jacket. Both from motorcycle closeouts. I'm lucky that that store is within driving distance :)

This is to go with my frist bike http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2411594

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

pr0zac posted:

We had the shirts in Iraq and they're great as long as you can get a breeze. So they would work well with a perf jacket. I'll be trying mine this summer when the heat hits to be sure, but I can tell you that they work well in 140 degree F heat.

Also, I'll echo that you definitely do not need to buy the UA stuff to have good clothes. It's way over-priced and the other brands are the same thing. In fact, some of the off-brands held up better than the UA ones.

edit

And it works by bringing the moisture from your skin to the outside of the shirt and then it functions like a radiator when the wind hits it. They're kind of pointless when there is no breeze, but that's not a problem for someone on a bike, eh?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

w_hat posted:

bung posted:

Long gauntlet type gloves are meant to be worn over the sleeve.

I'm not sure how it works either... my old Teknic gloves had a full gauntlet but barely fit on the outside of the sleeve fully open (possibly not at all, I don't remember). I got a new pair of Joe Rocket gloves and they're better, I can close the velcro halfway on the outside of the sleeve, but it feels tight and more difficult to spin my wrist (left + right joystick motion). I wonder if I need big floppy-gauntlet cruiser style gloves or if my jacket is more suited/designed for short cuff under-the-sleeve style gloves.
I'll get some pictures up here at some point.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

^^^ I have a few different types of sport long gauntlet gloves and they all fit differently some are very tight and some are very loose. Oddly enough, my old Dainese gloves barely fit over my Dainese jacket sleeves.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

underarmor

Do you have any links to this stuff? It sounds interesting and I would like to check it out some more.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Uthor posted:

Do you have any links to this stuff? It sounds interesting and I would like to check it out some more.
Here is their website - there's a bunch of marketing stuff there.

http://www.underarmour.com/

They make a variety of different types of clothes. There's Heat Gear (which is what people here are talking about). It's a blend of polyesther and elastine, so you get a stretchy material that's form fitting to your body. It wicks away sweat to the surface and acts like an evaporative cooler - if you're just sitting around it won't help much, but as soon as you start to move it cools you down because it's evaporating.

They also make Cold gear (which is supposed to keep you warm and still wick away sweat so you don't get chills from it) and Turf gear (which I don't know much about).

I think similar fabrics have been popular with hikers for a long time, but Under Armour came about a few years back and started marketing it pretty well. Nike has a line clothes that do the same thing (and they're just as expensive). I personally own four Heat gear shirts for cycling, but if I had been able to find a cheaper alternative I would have definitely went with that. Now I guess they sell it all over the place, including stores like Wal-Mart and Target, where it's a fair bit cheaper since you're not paying for the Under Armour brand name.

I have a couple t-shirts from Old Navy that are supposed to be the same thing, but they're more like a perforated shirt - they keep me cooler when I'm working out but they aren't form-fitting like my Under Armour shirts are.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Does anyone have experience with getting leathers tailored? I need a set. and I think that's the only way I'll get a set that fits me without paying four digits.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Uthor posted:

I have a "Professional Strength" aerosol glass cleaner that I use on the windshield of my car. I have a bug-splattered face shield on my helmet. Is there any danger of messing up the face shield if I use the glass cleaner on it? I could always use Windex, but this stuff is ten times better.

I use Kleenmaster Brillianize, which I got at TAP Plastics, but should be available at other places. It's supposedly used by museums to clean plexiglass exhibit cases. I have been very happy with the results on my helmet, which is 5+ years old now and crystal clear.

For any and all chemical & cleaning needs I recommend checking out the parts counter at your local BMW motorcycle dealer. They seem to have every conceivable thing you would need, usually in an incredibly high quality German version.

emil_muzz
Apr 14, 2002
Just rec'd my Scorpion exo 400 helmet the other day - so far I like it, but the cheek pads are a little too big for my pudgy-rear end face. I think I'd be in heaven if I could keep the rest of the pads as is but swap the L cheek pads for XL - does anyone know if Scorpion does the same thing as HJC in that you can adjust your fit by buying different pads?

Minijaka
Apr 6, 2006
I'm so original.

emil_muzz posted:

Just rec'd my Scorpion exo 400 helmet the other day - so far I like it, but the cheek pads are a little too big for my pudgy-rear end face. I think I'd be in heaven if I could keep the rest of the pads as is but swap the L cheek pads for XL - does anyone know if Scorpion does the same thing as HJC in that you can adjust your fit by buying different pads?

http://www.scorpionusa.com/support/faq.html#shell

Scorpion USA posted:

Currently we offer only 2 shell sizes per style (EXO 400 and 700, VX-14 and 17). All our extra-small to medium sizes come from one mold while the large to double extra large sizes come from another shell mold. The internal white EPS (expanded polystyrene) liner is also the same size for the smaller and larger helmet ranges mentioned.

So Scorpion has 2 helmet size, one for medium and smaller, one for large and up. But I don't see specifically cheek liners, only the whole head.

Related note, I got 2 new EXO-700 helms for sale if anyone is looking in SA Mart.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2423780

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005
Anyone gonna get one of those new EXO-1000's that have the inflatable cheekpads? :awesome:

emil_muzz
Apr 14, 2002
I was within inches of buying one for the interior drop-down sun shield. That's sweet.

And my tinkering has revealed that it's trivial to remove the cheekpads and get directly at the foam in there without messing up the liner at all. Then you can start trimming for a custom fit. I've just about got it perfect now.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Recieved my Exo 700 today, and the anti-fog visor rocks my socks :awesome: My HJC CS-12 would fog just by looking at it, nothing on this one. The only thing that is still driving me absofuckinglutely crazy is wind leaks. I used my hand to cover the area under my chin, no more wind in my eyes. So I went ahead and ordered the Scorpion chin skirt, anyone know how it installs?

Also, I'm pretty sure every helmt without a skirt I have worn has had problems with wind in that area under the chin, does this happen to anyone else or am I a wierdo? I think they should ship the helmet with one from the factory :(

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

emil_muzz posted:

I was within inches of buying one for the interior drop-down sun shield. That's sweet.

And my tinkering has revealed that it's trivial to remove the cheekpads and get directly at the foam in there without messing up the liner at all. Then you can start trimming for a custom fit. I've just about got it perfect now.

Check it. No fog, darkens in the sun.

zmikel
Sep 11, 2001
Stone Throwing

RealDealNamowicz posted:

exo 700 windskirt

It just pops straight into the bottom of the helmet between the pad and styro. It's secure enough for the wind but not as a handle.

I'm thinking about picking up something for hot weather duty IE 105+degrees constant for like 8 hours of the day. I was thinking about the http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/cortech_by_tour_master/gx_air_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html cortech gx mesh jacket. But, I was wondering how those straight armor jackets that have been coming out lately work? I know it would look goofy and riot gearish, and it may actually be kind of warm considering it's pretty much mesh and pads.

Also, has anyone here had any experiences with mesh jackets coming apart upon crash? I can't imagine them holding up too well, and the strong possibility of nylon meltage.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

I used one of these (the Fog City version though) and the tinting stopped working in about 4 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Jazzzzz posted:

I used one of these (the Fog City version though) and the tinting stopped working in about 4 months.

Good to know. I'll stick with two visors and bitching about fog.