Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

Jazzzzz posted:

I used one of these (the Fog City version though) and the tinting stopped working in about 4 months.

I was wondering how those work. Guess I won't try one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

orinth posted:

I was wondering how those work. Guess I won't try one out.

It's just the ones that change from clear to tinted that have problems. If you get one that's clear all the time or tinted all the time, they last for about a year before they get sort of cloudy and have to be replaced. Those usually cost half of what the color-changing versions do, so they're worth the money.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Kagari Mafia Ringleader and ray tracing EXPERT
Has anyone owned a pair of the Tourmaster Decker leather overpants? They are about $200 on New Enough, have CE-approved armor, are of full leather construction, and my current Alter Ego pants have become pretty useless because one of the side zippers failed for the second time.

After reading some after-crash reports of the Alter Ego pants, I'm itching to start moving to leather gear too. But I need the convenience of overpants since I wear them to work all the time. They look better than any other pair of leather overpants available, thanks to the CE armor, too.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Portable591 posted:

Has anyone owned a pair of the Tourmaster Decker leather overpants? They are about $200 on New Enough, have CE-approved armor, are of full leather construction, and my current Alter Ego pants have become pretty useless because one of the side zippers failed for the second time.

After reading some after-crash reports of the Alter Ego pants, I'm itching to start moving to leather gear too. But I need the convenience of overpants since I wear them to work all the time. They look better than any other pair of leather overpants available, thanks to the CE armor, too.

A guy I ride with that Tourmaster leather overpants (not sure about the exact kind) and he likes them a lot.

Also, you mind posting the Alter Ego crash reports you read? I've got those too, and though I bought leather pants for trackdays, I was still planning on using the Alter Egos for riding to school. Interested to see what made you want to upgrade.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

I think it was someone on these same forums that crashed in them a few months ago. He said they didn't really hold up at all, even in such a low speed fall (~25 mph I think), and still got rashed on his legs.

My main problem is the cheap construction. The seams come apart too easily and the side zippers are poo poo and break constantly if they get caught on the internal nylon flaps (which they always do), necessitating work by a tailor to repair.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I would like to get those Tourmaster overpants because they'd match my jacket perfectly, but the one thing that's holding me back is that I'm going to be doing most of my longer-distance riding in warmer weather, so leather overpants don't seem like they'd be the greatest match for that, and they're more than I'd want to deal with on a daily basis for my five mile drive to work.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Yeah, they'll probably be hot in the summer. I can deal with that. My shorts will just be sweaty when I take them off at the end of a trip. But if they are anything at all like the Alter Ego pants, putting them on and taking them off takes about 10 seconds.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Portable591 posted:

I bought a pair. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but it takes me forever to get them on over my jeans before I put my boots on and to take them off if I'm wearing my boots. The hip armor causes most of the problems, getting in the way of my feet and bunching up my jeans. They also seems a heavy to me, but it could be a symptom of me not replacing the zipper to connect to my jacket. I'm going to keep them as they are warm, but I'm probably going to buy a dedicated pair of leather pants for summer riding.

Antifederalist
Jan 16, 2006
Hardcore like Charles Bronson
I just picked up a Tourmaster Flex jacket the other day, and I was wondering what people thought of it. I don't have a bike yet (finishing my MSF course this weekend) so I've just worn it around the house, but it's pretty comfortable and I really like how adaptable it is. I was deciding between it and a Joe Rocket Super Ego jacket that was on sale, but decided to go with the more adaptable (and not all black) textile.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
:eek: And to think that I still haven't bought a new helmet and proper gloves...

So, uh, are textile jackets usually much more 'relaxed' than leather ones? I got my two MotoGP jackets today (pictured) and while the leather one is drat near perfect, the textile one is way big in the torso.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Portable591 posted:

I think it was someone on these same forums that crashed in them a few months ago. He said they didn't really hold up at all, even in such a low speed fall (~25 mph I think), and still got rashed on his legs.

Maybe that was me, I've posted about going down in my A* Airflo mesh overpants before. They make me want to stay away from mesh anything, literally the side of the pants I went down on burst open at the zipper and got totally destroyed. My initial impact was on my right knee, which got rashed up after the mesh died, and the rash was WORSE than when I had a lowside at ~40mph wearing cargo pants and fell right on my left knee (luckily slid on the back of my leather jacket soon after).

I have textile gear with some mesh panels now for when I don't want to wear 1pc leathers. Better armor and feels a lot safer than the mesh, hopefully it will never be tested.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Nope, it was someone else. But yeah, I'm too much of a pussy to buy more textile. I'm going leather with all my new gear, except for maybe super cold weather stuff.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Blaise posted:

*Way too much gear*

Whats up buying too much drat gear buddy. I did the math today, and I've spent more money on gear than I did on my bike. A substantial amount more.

I've found textile doesn't fit nearly as tightly as leather. I've only had one of each so far, but the leather coat just feels a lot better on me.

Also, drat you for getting a grey/black Corkscrew jacket. :argh:

ClevelandSteamer
Feb 24, 2003
I saw on the Joe Rocket site that they sell helmets now. I saw a review on them and seemed ok. Last time I checked none of the shops near me had any in yet. Was wondering if anyone has seen them in person and tried them on/out at all.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

ClevelandSteamer posted:

I saw on the Joe Rocket site that they sell helmets now. I saw a review on them and seemed ok. Last time I checked none of the shops near me had any in yet. Was wondering if anyone has seen them in person and tried them on/out at all.
They're HJC helmets, one of the higher-end lines. The only thing that's not the same are the cheekpads.

They take the shields from CL-12 or AC-12 helmets, but given the price I think they're probably closer to a "rebadged" AC-12. The AC-12's are a little lower in price than the Joe Rocket helmets.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Blaise posted:

:eek: And to think that I still haven't bought a new helmet and proper gloves...

So, uh, are textile jackets usually much more 'relaxed' than leather ones? I got my two MotoGP jackets today (pictured) and while the leather one is drat near perfect, the textile one is way big in the torso.

:psyduck: How much of that do you actually wear?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

RealDealNamowicz posted:

:psyduck: How much of that do you actually wear?

All of it except the JR jacket.

Solid Leather = Cold Weather
Perf Leather = Warm Weather
Tex = Rain

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Blaise posted:

All of it except the JR jacket.

Solid Leather = Cold Weather
Perf Leather = Warm Weather
Tex = Rain

I have one jacket for everything :(

Step 1: Sell extra gear
Step 2: Profit :)

AdeptaCheese
Oct 14, 2003

Sovereign Swiss

I fit into an extra small dririder jacket, will this http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=19104&department=112&division=1 extra small shift jacket fit the same?

edit: well gently caress that they wont ship to australia anyway

AdeptaCheese fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 14, 2007

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

RealDealNamowicz posted:

I have one jacket for everything :(

Step 1: Sell extra gear
Step 2: Profit :)

Don't you get hot? My Solid leather jacket feels too warm over 75-80*, and it gets a bit over that in the summertime.

At the same time, I won't wear anything less than solid leather when riding any sort of distance under 50*.

Roger Ramya
Jan 10, 2007

AdeptaCheese posted:

I fit into an extra small dririder jacket, will this http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=19104&department=112&division=1 extra small shift jacket fit the same?

edit: well gently caress that they wont ship to australia anyway

I've had the same problem, do you know if there are any decent online motorbike stores for Australians? I've only managed to find https://www.motorcycle-accessories.com.au
but would like alternatives.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Just ordered a pair of Tourmaster's Decker leather overpants, MotoGP RPM gloves (so I don't need to keep wearing my Winter Elites during summer), and a two-piece Tourmaster nylon rain suit from NewEnough. In a few weeks I should be able to give short reviews of some or all of these purchases.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lets talk dirt gear for a second

I just got my first dirt bike from another goon. Hell it's still in his carhole until I go riding with him somewhere. I rode it for about 3 minutes in a cornfield, it was pretty fun.

What should I get? Helmet? Chest protector? Gloves? What else?

It's a YZ125, 99 or so? I'm not sure.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
The chest protector (If I understand it right) is more to protect you from other bikes throwing rocks and clods of dirt at you, rather than protecting you from any impact. I don't bother with one..

But you should look into boots. If anything gets trapped under the bike it's usually your leg. And a 250lb bike is pleanty to snap an ankle if it lands right.

If you're riding in the woods, you'll want something long sleve to wear. coming home looking like you had a catfight isn't so fun. I wear my old paintball jersey. It's even made by JT!

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack
I was just looking at some gear for when I get a new bike, and I saw this kid on the Schuberth website:

And I fell in love. I honestly think it's the nicest helmet I've ever seen. Some people may not like the pattern on the exterior, but I think it's sex. So I decide "right, I will own this helmet" and whipped onto froogle to see what average prices were. £750! :aaaaa:. That's coming up to what the bike itself will cost! Dreams shattered, I suppose I'll have to find something else :(.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

Bob Morales posted:

Lets talk dirt gear for a second

I just got my first dirt bike from another goon. Hell it's still in his carhole until I go riding with him somewhere. I rode it for about 3 minutes in a cornfield, it was pretty fun.

What should I get? Helmet? Chest protector? Gloves? What else?

It's a YZ125, 99 or so? I'm not sure.

What I wear:
Answer MX pants of some nature, got em on sale for 50 bucks or so. Have big, ugly patches of tough rubber like material on the knees and thighs. Hip pads and ballistic nylon panels in ares that need to flex.

Basic MX jersey, breathes well and seems to be made well enough to withstand a few trips to the ground.

Thor Quadrant boots. I would not recommend these, as they have NO feeling and modulating the rear brake is...well....impossible. For 120-ish dollars they do the job tho. Spend some decent money on an articulating ankle joint.

Thor gloves, rubber bits here and there and a nice leather palm and fingertips. Tough and you retain a decent amount of feel with them.

KBC Acid MotoX helmet. Spend some dough here, go light and REMOVABLE liner. Mine is light, but I can't remove the liner and it smells like hell in there. Like knock a vulture off the poo poo wagon kinda stink.

I also picked up some compression undershorts. Keeps things in place and chafing to a minimum. Monkey-butt on a MX bike can be brutal, and toss in pinched/gouged/bounced balls and you are in for a miserable ride.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

23reasons posted:

I was just looking at some gear for when I get a new bike, and I saw this kid on the Schuberth website:

And I fell in love. I honestly think it's the nicest helmet I've ever seen. Some people may not like the pattern on the exterior, but I think it's sex. So I decide "right, I will own this helmet" and whipped onto froogle to see what average prices were. £750! :aaaaa:. That's coming up to what the bike itself will cost! Dreams shattered, I suppose I'll have to find something else :(.

There's the HJC AC-12 Carbon. I've got it and aside from it being a bit noisy I've been very happy with it.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/carbon/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Got some boots:

MSR MXT boots, got them from a local guy who used them once but they were too big. $75

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Bob Morales posted:

boots

Those look really nice and very expensive. How warm are they? I need something that'll not make my feet sweat unbearably in the summer heat.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Sir Tonk posted:

Those look really nice and very expensive. How warm are they? I need something that'll not make my feet sweat unbearably in the summer heat.

Actually those are pretty cheap motoX boots, but they'll work fine for starting out - they are probably $100 MSRP. You probably wouldn't want to wear motoX boots on a street bike, but they would work okay I guess. Generally Sidi/Alpinestar makes the nicest ones. I've got some Sidi SRS model boots that have this amazingly thick/stiff sole. After you get used to them you'll never want to go back to a floppy MX boot.

The plastic chest protectors are more for trails/woods riding. They protect you from getting poked and stuff when you're riding/crashing. For roost they make under jersey roost guards, but they aren't really necessary unless you're riding at motoX tracks or racing.

Most of the stuff Turtle said I'd agree with. For the helmet make sure that you try on before you buy just like a street bike. I really like riding with bike shorts, they have the compression/chafing protection + a bit of padding.

I will also pimp the goggles I wear - Smith Fuels with the LST lense (light sensitive). The lenses work just awesome, they have a great range and they seem to adjust pretty quickly. I've really liked having that feature and they are pretty inexpensive.

Since it sounds like you know nothing about dirtbikes please be aware that you now own a very high maintenance race machine. You should be cleaning/oiling the air filter every 2-3 rides (maybe every ride if we're talking sand). Change the transmission oil every 2-3 rides as well, I use the really cheap walmart brand ATF Type-F in my 125 and it worked great. Also I'd encourage you to run silkolene 2stroke oil premixed at 50:1. You can't just run the cheap poo poo that they make for lawnmowers as that oil isn't designed to handle the RPMs a dirtbike puts out.

There isn't a lot of dirtbike folks here on the forums, but I'm pretty into them so feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

edit:
newenoughmx.com and rockymountainatv.com are both good places for gear

I've had bad experiences with ridegear.com - enough so that even though they have good prices I won't buy from them again.

n8r fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 17, 2007

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

n8r posted:

Since it sounds like you know nothing about dirtbikes please be aware that you now own a very high maintenance race machine. You should be cleaning/oiling the air filter every 2-3 rides (maybe every ride if we're talking sand). Change the transmission oil every 2-3 rides as well, I use the really cheap walmart brand ATF Type-F in my 125 and it worked great. Also I'd encourage you to run silkolene 2stroke oil premixed at 50:1. You can't just run the cheap poo poo that they make for lawnmowers as that oil isn't designed to handle the RPMs a dirtbike puts out.

You're right, I know jack about dirtbikes. I've been riding on the street for a couple years with 4 different bikes but it will be my first summer on the dirt.

All my buddies that ride have been telling me about changing the oil and filters regularly. They've all recommended different oils too:

Mobil 1 2 cycle synthetic
Belray Synthetic
Yamalube semi-synth 2 stroke

I was told to run 85W in the actual engine itself. That's a huge difference from ATF, which is basically what, a 0W oil?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

You're right, I know jack about dirtbikes. I've been riding on the street for a couple years with 4 different bikes but it will be my first summer on the dirt.

All my buddies that ride have been telling me about changing the oil and filters regularly. They've all recommended different oils too:

Mobil 1 2 cycle synthetic
Belray Synthetic
Yamalube semi-synth 2 stroke

I was told to run 85W in the actual engine itself. That's a huge difference from ATF, which is basically what, a 0W oil?

All of those oils are probably great to run for premix. Anything that is designed for dirtbikes will be great. The synthetics do save you some money in the fact that you get to run a higher ratio, I'm not sure what you would run with the semi-synth. I'm sure the dealership could give you a recommendation.

You're not running oil in the engine - it's for the transmission :). 85W would be gear oil, which may work fine. I started out running the really expensive silkolene gear oil, I'm not sure they even give a weight for that stuff. ATF is about the equivalent of 30W oil from my understanding. The gear oil made for dirtbikes does last a bit longer, but at $7 a quart seems a little excessive. The guys over on dirtrider recommend the ATF type-f, but you do need to change it more often. Especially with a 125 because they have such a small amount of oil in their trannies.

I'm not a silkolene whore, it's just that is the only stuff my local shop carries.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Whats the science of ratios? Guys are telling me to run 30:1

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

PlasticSun posted:

There's the HJC AC-12 Carbon. I've got it and aside from it being a bit noisy I've been very happy with it.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/carbon/

That's a nice helmet, and much cheaper, but it doesn't have the built in sun screen. Unfortunately, I imagine that all helmets with built in sun screens are well expensive.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Whats the science of ratios? Guys are telling me to run 30:1

It's pretty simple really - the more oil you run the leaner your mixture is because you're replacing fuel with oil. You want to mix at whatever is recommended as the range on the bottle of premix that you're buying. You really want to stick with one brand/ratio of premix because as I said since you're messing with your air/fuel mixture you'll have to change your carb jetting if you're messing with ratios. If you know the previous owner was running a certain premix at a certain ratio you probably want to continue with that setup if the bike is running well.

The Honda mechanic I know runs and recommends silkolene at 50:1 and since they all essentially cost the same that's what I run. You can actually adjust your premix ratio as a way of changing your jetting. Say you're going up in elevation quite a bit above where you normally ride. You could run a higher ratio to richen up the bike. Of course you don't want to go too high, because you won't have enough oil for lubrication. All of these things depend quite a bit on the type of premix you are running, so you'll want to read the bottle or ask a shop.

I believe 30:1 or 32:1 is sort of the commonly accepted premix ratio for a bike running non-synthetic premix.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

23reasons posted:

That's a nice helmet, and much cheaper, but it doesn't have the built in sun screen. Unfortunately, I imagine that all helmets with built in sun screens are well expensive.

The new Scorpion 1000 helmet has a built in sunscreen and that funny Rebock Pump cheek pads. I like the idea of internal sunscreens a lot, but the schuberths that I've tried on the screen ends just below my eyes causing me to have to look through the edge of the screen depending on the helmet's position on my head. It's a really cool idea, but I'd rather see one that slides down closer to the visor rather than closer to the eyes.

Greenlantern
Feb 10, 2005
I MADE A TYPO MY USERNAME IS SUPPOSED TO BE "SMELLY WEIRDO LUNKHEAD"

Blaise posted:

Don't you get hot? My Solid leather jacket feels too warm over 75-80*, and it gets a bit over that in the summertime.

At the same time, I won't wear anything less than solid leather when riding any sort of distance under 50*.

I wear a solid leather jacket in 110 degree 100% humidity days in Houston, TX for like 5-6 months of the year. It kind of sucks sometimes when I'm just sitting at a light but once I get up to speed it isn't bad at all.

edit:its all personal preference though and having too many jackets isn't bad for anything but your pocketbook

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

PlasticSun posted:

The new Scorpion 1000 helmet has a built in sunscreen and that funny Rebock Pump cheek pads. I like the idea of internal sunscreens a lot, but the schuberths that I've tried on the screen ends just below my eyes causing me to have to look through the edge of the screen depending on the helmet's position on my head. It's a really cool idea, but I'd rather see one that slides down closer to the visor rather than closer to the eyes.

I looked that up, and it is a really nice looking helmet, and not overly expensive either. I'll definitely look into that whenn it's released/I get a new bike.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
I'm looking to get a better fitting leather suit, I like the corkscrew (motogp) http://newenough.com/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants/moto_gp/corkscrew_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html one on newenough. How is it's quality?

I still need some pants, and I already have a textile jacket for warm, firstgear, kilimanjaro, I just need a full riding suit.

What would you recommend for a smaller person for pants, I'd like them to match the blue jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fun fact that I just learned: Triumph brand pants and jackets all come with upper and lower halves of zippers. Why does this matter? Because you can take off the other piece and have it sewn into gear to make it match. :)