Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

n8r posted:

No real all-weather leathers.

I assumed as much. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

n8r posted:

How can you not like a puck you barely used? I think I had JR pucks and they worked as advertised, I got a knee down and they slid - good times. They look a LOT like the puck on the left, wouldn't be surprised if they are just the same thing.

I got a good deal on them locally and it seems like the higher end pants came with them, so I bought them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Phat_Albert posted:

:colbert:

I've been wearing a Teknic Violator and I love it. Great padding, seems solid. I don't have a red bike anymore, that's the only downside.

My Joe Rocket leather gloves got wet (I wore them dirt biking, hurr) and now the right glove is formed in the shape of my hand grabbing a ton of throttle. It's very uncomfortable. Any ideas on fixing that?

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

A journey never truly has an end...

Bob Morales posted:

My Joe Rocket leather gloves got wet (I wore them dirt biking, hurr) and now the right glove is formed in the shape of my hand grabbing a ton of throttle. It's very uncomfortable. Any ideas on fixing that?
Get it soaked and wear it around with your hand relaxed!

Okay, kidding aside, just wearing it and breaking it back in is probably your only option. I hate getting my leather gloves wet because they do the same thing. You just need to wear it back in. Maybe some leather lotion would help.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I have a track day coming up on June 15th and I need leathers.. Is this a good suit and a good deal?

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/..._race_suit.html

if not, do you have any recommendations? I want to keep it fairly cheap ($500 or les) as i'll probably get something better in a year when I'm more experienced and will know what I want.

Is the sizing pretty reasonable on the site?
I'm 5'10", 160lbs and pretty skinny so I'm thinking the size 42 would work.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I just got some Draggin' Jeans and my first impressions are that they are pretty comfortable and a lot cooler than my Cordura Triumph pants. Obviously though, they have no armor and are ill-suited for any sort of spirited riding. One might also say that they are ill-suited for wearing on a motorcycle period, but between my various leathers and pants, I don't have anything that stays cool at low speeds w/ frequent stop-and-go. I'm hoping this will fit the bill for my short commutes and trips around PCH.

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn

Uthor posted:

I have the Pheonix 4.0 jacket. It doesn't have any leather, but it seems to have similar features. My biggest complaint is the forearm adjustment snaps coming undone really easily. The Reactor's Velcro adjustments seem to take care of that.

Speaking of mine only, I find it pretty comfortable and cool no matter how hot it gets. I didn't like it if the temps dropped much below 70 degrees. The waterproof liner works pretty well, though I've had water seep in under my collar. It also cuts out the wind as the temperature drops.

I just don't wear it much because I like my leather jacket better. We'll see if this gets any use this year as the temperatures got up.

I also have the Phoenix 4.0 and find it to be a fantastic jacket with the exceptions of the loving piece of poo poo snap-buttons always coming undone. ALL THE TIME. Argh it irritates me.

Anyway I ride it to work at 5am in 49' weather with just the liner and a balaclava and I'm fine & dandy. I ride it to school in 90' weather and my upperhalf stays cool.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Couple of pics of some extra weight I added to the Dakar recently:

This tried to convince me that a house in the middle of a residential neighborhood was a hardware store:

This keeps the liar around, I'll likely use the ram arm for a camera mount at some point too. I replaced the thumb screw with an allen screw for some extra security.

I painted my side tanks with smooth Durabak-18 bedliner. I'm happy with the result but the foam roller I used caused some air bubbles that show up as little bumps on the material. It's not as smooth as I wanted orginally but I'm still very happy with it. I'm sure that I'll drag it over some rocks soon and add some further surface imperfections.

Antifederalist
Jan 16, 2006
Hardcore like Charles Bronson
What are people's opinion on gear like this:

My cousin works at a bike equipment store and he was singing their praises, they apparently fit really well under pants and are pretty comfortable. I know they're not as good as real riding pants, but they seem a pretty good compromise.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Antifederalist posted:

My cousin works at a bike equipment store and he was singing their praises, they apparently fit really well under pants and are pretty comfortable. I know they're not as good as real riding pants, but they seem a pretty good compromise.

It's good stuff for dirt riding but on the street your more likely to take abrasion damage rather than impact damage. It's best to have on something that will prevent abrasion, if you want additional impact resistance then wear shin guards like that under something like overpants.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Antifederalist posted:

You're a hell of a lot more likely to take the brunt of an impact on your butt. You might as well just wear knee pads.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Has anyone seen the new BMW neck brace? I just read about it on autoblog and engadget.

quote:

Introduced in November of last year, this safety-minded technology utilizes Kevlar, carbon fiber, and padded foam to create a plate that sits between a rider's shoulders and any helmet in order to "provide optimum protection for the spine during an accident." Due to the materials used in construction, the contraption is both lightweight and rigid, and two side clasps enable rides to easily strap it on similar to a collar. The idea is of course to stop the head from moving too far in any direction whilst in a collision, but the team does state that "the rider is also able to retain freedom of movement needed when driving."

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/09/bmw-motorrad-intros-neck-brake-system-for-motorcyclists/

It looks ridiculous but it's shown to really help the looks wouldn't stop me from using one.

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

Yuns posted:

Has anyone seen the new BMW neck brace? I just read about it on autoblog and engadget.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/09/bmw-motorrad-intros-neck-brake-system-for-motorcyclists/
It looks ridiculous but it's shown to really help the looks wouldn't stop me from using one.
That's pretty slick. Basically just using the Hans device as a template, I'm assuming? I wonder if we'll start to see this more often on the track now, or if it'll become enforced?

JAlfredPrufrock
Jul 12, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Ravyn posted:

I wonder if we'll start to see this more often on the track now, or if it'll become enforced?

I doubt it, it looks impossible to get any sort of mobility out of it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

JAlfredPrufrock posted:

Supposedly, braces like this are "strongly encouraged" for the next Dakar.

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

JAlfredPrufrock posted:

As the article posted:

The idea is of course to stop the head from moving too far in any direction whilst in a collision, but the team does state that "the rider is also able to retain freedom of movement needed when driving."

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

aventari posted:

I have a track day coming up on June 15th and I need leathers.. Is this a good suit and a good deal?

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/..._race_suit.html

if not, do you have any recommendations? I want to keep it fairly cheap ($500 or les) as i'll probably get something better in a year when I'm more experienced and will know what I want.

Is the sizing pretty reasonable on the site?
I'm 5'10", 160lbs and pretty skinny so I'm thinking the size 42 would work.

So I went and tried on suits at a local store and while the size 44 fit almost perfect on the arms and legs, the torso was way too short. As in, there was massive camel toe if I stood up all the way and it pulled down hard at the neck and shoulders. The size 46 was still a bit tight in the crotch area but I could stand up and walk without pain. The problem that with 46 the arms were a bit too long and a tiny bit loose and the legs were the same way. I realize the suit is designed for crouching on the bike, but realistically you will have at least walk around a bit with it on.

I tried on Joe Rocket and Alpinestars and the JR suits seemed to be more accomodating.

I'm probably going to order the 46. Any thoughts?

aventari fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 10, 2007

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

The suit should be a little loose while you're walking around. I know mine is. It's best if you can get the suit on and go sit on a bike, while one of the dealer monkeys holds it upright for you. You'll see how the suit changes to fit your crouched form. When I'm on my bike it fits me like a glove.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was going to order some perforated Joe Rocket Blaster pants today.

While looking around, I saw some CE armor for the knees, shoulders, and elbows and for the back to upgrade the armor that comes with the jackets/pants.

I was thinking about getting the back protector for a while and the other stuff seems fairly cheap. Is it worth the cost for street riding? I was thinking elbows at least, maybe knees also, but probably not the shoulders.

A side question: I bought some overpants a few weeks ago. When I stand up, the armor in the knees seems to be in the correct position. When I sit down on the bike, the armor seems to sit a little high. I can adjust the armor down a little, but I'm not sure if I should. Should the armor be in the correct position while standing (i.e. if I fall off the bike and extend my legs) or while on the bike?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Uthor posted:

Should the armor be in the correct position while standing (i.e. if I fall off the bike and extend my legs) or while on the bike?

Riding - you're probably not going to extend your legs that much either willfully or just as part of being flung around should you come off the bike.

And yes, buy the CE armor, it's cheap peace of mind.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Jazzzzz posted:

Riding - you're probably not going to extend your legs that much either willfully or just as part of being flung around should you come off the bike.

And yes, buy the CE armor, it's cheap peace of mind.

Thanks. I ordered the elbows and knees. The back protector is out until June or July, so that's gotta wait.

I'll move my knee armor right now.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

aventari posted:

So I went and tried on suits at a local store and while the size 44 fit almost perfect on the arms and legs, the torso was way too short. As in, there was massive camel toe if I stood up all the way and it pulled down hard at the neck and shoulders. The size 46 was still a bit tight in the crotch area but I could stand up and walk without pain. The problem that with 46 the arms were a bit too long and a tiny bit loose and the legs were the same way. I realize the suit is designed for crouching on the bike, but realistically you will have at least walk around a bit with it on.

I tried on Joe Rocket and Alpinestars and the JR suits seemed to be more accomodating.

I'm probably going to order the 46. Any thoughts?

Yah I dunno, most of the guys I saw at the track day just walk around all hunched over and poo poo. One pieces aren't made for walking around. I would see how the 44 fits sitting on a bike.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Uthor posted:

I was going to order some perforated Joe Rocket Blaster pants today.

I want to get those same pants. What temperature will you be riding in with them? They look like my best option for perf leather, but it's mighty hot down here.

Don't they come with CE knee armor already? And as much as I want that back protector, $81 is rather expensive. I need to find a shop that has one that I can look at.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Shoei TZ-R. Swank, very swank. This picture doesn't do it justice though, imagine a ripe orange or a shiny orange hard candy. The helmet is extremely comfortable and the absolute quietest helmet I've ever worn. The only flaw is that it doesn't have an anti-fog coating on the shield. I had to shelve my AGV, which I loved except for how mind-numbingly loud it is. Even with earplugs that I use at work, it still made my ears ring from the wind.

$289 from Dennis Kirk, ordered on a Friday evening and came the next Wednesday with free shipping.

It is actually this color;

:iia:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

I want to get those same pants. What temperature will you be riding in with them? They look like my best option for perf leather, but it's mighty hot down here.

Don't they come with CE knee armor already? And as much as I want that back protector, $81 is rather expensive. I need to find a shop that has one that I can look at.

Ah, crap, I thought they had the GP armor. Oh well, I'll try e-mailing them, and return the stuff if they can't change my order.

Is GP armor better than CE armor? The description on the pants says GP is an upgrade, but it's cheaper than the CE stuff.

Right now, I've been wearing my solid overpants over jeans in around 80 F temps. That's about the limit of those pants. I'm going to wear these at anything warmer than that. I'll give a review of how they perform in the heat once I get them.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Terminus Est posted:

TZR

I had a TZ-1 for a while and loved it except for my non-shoei shaped head. The TZR is such an awesome deal and I really wish I could wear it for more than a couple hours without feeling like there's a 50lb weight on the crown of my skull.

Shoei still has the best visors and mechanism that I've used though.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

PlasticSun posted:

Shoei still has the best visors and mechanism that I've used though.

Word.

I find that it fits almost exactly like a Scorpion exo400, except a little tighter. I also found that the exo700 didn't fit me, so who knows. Its a good compromise between round and oblong. Just right for me.

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot
Terminus Est-

I have a TZR as well. See the little doo-dad near the left ear? The bit used to help pop the visor up? Mine broke off a few weeks back, totally my fault too. I had installed the visor not-quite-so-well and the added stress broke the thing off. I love my TZR, fits great and it feels well made. Only complaint I can muster is it fogs easily, or at least it does for me.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Turtle Parlor posted:

Terminus Est-

I have a TZR as well. See the little doo-dad near the left ear? The bit used to help pop the visor up? Mine broke off a few weeks back, totally my fault too. I had installed the visor not-quite-so-well and the added stress broke the thing off. I love my TZR, fits great and it feels well made. Only complaint I can muster is it fogs easily, or at least it does for me.

What's up fellow slack-jawed mouth breather. I blame my adenoids, not my breeding. http://www.shoei-helmets.com/store/index.php?cPath=36_34_102

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

Terminus Est posted:

What's up fellow slack-jawed mouth breather. I blame my adenoids, not my breeding. http://www.shoei-helmets.com/store/index.php?cPath=36_34_102

Danke.

I'm actually fine without it, the little nubbin of plastic on the left side of the visor is plenty for me. But i did bookmark that page for other bobbles I might someday want. The breath guard and chin curtain are looking mighty nice right now.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
Has anyone dealt with oneidasuzuki.com for gear? I ordered a helmet from them, a matte black medium TZ-R. The invoice in the box, as well as the product, is a metallic black small TZ-R. Don't care about the color mixup, but I do care that I don't have a helmet that fits me. They're pretty absolute on not accepting helmet returns, although this is completely there fault. What should I expect?

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Got my gear in today from New Enough.

Joe Rocket:

Phoenix Jacket Large Tall in Black.

Phoenix Over Pants Large in Black.

Phoenix Gloves Large in Black.

I initially had the XL pants and a large jacket, however the pants were to big and the jacket was to short. I upgraded to the large tall jacket and it fits perfect length wise, though it's a bit longer in the arms than I'd like. It's all pretty good quality, well stitched and so forth. I hate the arm snaps already though.

I also got an Arai Profile helmet from Kneedraggers.com, after ordering 20mm cheek pads from my local shop it fits perfectly. The helmet is amazingly light and well put together. If you have a long oval head like me, I highly recommend the Profile.

Edit: Something I noticed about my Arai. In the manual and on the helmet stickers, it touts it has a "AF-2" pull down chin spoiler. I'll be damned if I can figure out how to pull it down... Any clues?

HATE TROLL TIM fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 11, 2007

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Do all you guys who bought the Phoenix Jacket feel its an solid piece of protective gear? My girlfriend bought me some Joe Rocket mesh jacket for my birthday last month and I've been holding on to it to use this summer. I finally pulled the thing out today and I really don't feel safe in it, even just riding at 30mph to class. Its too short and doesn't have tabs to attach it to jeans so it doesn't ride up in a crash, and just generally feels cheap.

I just want a jacket I can wear when its 110 degrees here and not worry about dying. :( I suppose I could just go tshirt and shorts like all the other riders on campus who've come out of the wood work now that its warm...

I've spent something greater than $2000 on gear so far (more than my freakin' bike!), and if theres one thing I've learned its just buy the expensive stuff the first time because the cheap stuff sucks and you just end up wasting money replacing it.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 11, 2007

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

pr0zac posted:

Do all you guys who bought the Phoenix Jacket feel its an solid piece of protective gear? My girlfriend bought me some Joe Rocket mesh jacket for my birthday last month and I've been holding on to it to use this summer. I finally pulled the thing out today and I really don't feel safe in it, even just riding at 30mph to class. Its too short and doesn't have tabs to attach it to jeans so it doesn't ride up in a crash, and just generally feels cheap.

I just want a jacket I can wear when its 110 degrees here and not worry about dying. :( I suppose I could just go tshirt and shorts like all the other riders on campus who've come out of the wood work now that its warm...

I've spent something greater than $2000 on gear so far (more than my freakin' bike!), and if theres one thing I've learned its just buy the expensive stuff the first time because the cheap stuff sucks and you just end up wasting money replacing it.

Let me get this straight...

You don't feel safe in the Phoenix jacket, so you might forgo a jacket all together and just wear a T-Shirt? ...

At any rate, it feels pretty solid to me. Just remember that textiles are "one off" gear. If you slide once in them they will melt and thus need to be replaced.

My plan is to use the Phoenix jacket over a lightweight long sleeve cotton shirt. It gets really hot here during the summer, but I think that jacket should keep me reasonable cool and safe.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Terminus Est posted:

I also found that the exo700 didn't fit me, so who knows. Its a good compromise between round and oblong. Just right for me.
Where did you have problems? I just got a EXO-700 the other day and it fits fine other than a good amount of pressure on my cheek bones. NewEnough suggested I wear it for a few more days to see if they reshape. It fits fine otherwise, so I'm hoping it'll adapt to my enormous cheeks.

pr0zac posted:

No kidding. For someone just getting into riding, it seems like a hefty fee after spending a few grand already. It's really hard to justify (money-wise) when you're buying a $2000 scooter and I'm the only person I've seen so far that wears full gear riding it around.

timb posted:

You don't feel safe in the Phoenix jacket, so you might forgo a jacket all together and just wear a T-Shirt? ...
I think that was sarcasm.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

timb posted:

At any rate, it feels pretty solid to me. Just remember that textiles are "one off" gear. If you slide once in them they will melt and thus need to be replaced.

My plan is to use the Phoenix jacket over a lightweight long sleeve cotton shirt. It gets really hot here during the summer, but I think that jacket should keep me reasonable cool and safe.

Misunderstood me, I don't have the Phoenix jacket, I've got another cheaper Joe Rocket mesh jacket (the Rio, I finally figured out what it was called) that I'd like to replace with something that feels better made. I was wondering if the Phoenix (or any other mesh jacket else) actually feels like a well made piece of protective gear, which you actually kind of answered for me so thank you. :) And yeah, I was being sarcastic about going squid.

C_H_A
Aug 4, 2004

I have an ugly dog to make me appear more handsome.
I just received my Scala Rider Teamset bluetooth headsets.
I'll post a review of them after I recover from knee surgery in a couple weeks.
The girlfriend and I tried them out yesterday and the range between the two helmets was about 30 feet. Call quality with my bluetooth phone was outstanding but that's in a non-riding environment.
If anybody has any questions about these please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.
They seem very well built, they mount up easy, they're not waterPROOF but they're capable of being operated in light moisture (as per the booklet), they are easy to use with gloves, they respond well in VOX mode.

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

C_H_A posted:

I just received my Scala Rider Teamset bluetooth headsets.
I'll post a review of them after I recover from knee surgery in a couple weeks.
The girlfriend and I tried them out yesterday and the range between the two helmets was about 30 feet. Call quality with my bluetooth phone was outstanding but that's in a non-riding environment.
If anybody has any questions about these please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.
They seem very well built, they mount up easy, they're not waterPROOF but they're capable of being operated in light moisture (as per the booklet), they are easy to use with gloves, they respond well in VOX mode.
Do you both wear full-face helmets? How well does the mouthpiece work in that situation? I see it on their site being used that way - I'm just curious if you get that issue where it sounds like you're yelling in the mic. Looks pretty nice though!

Product link here

C_H_A
Aug 4, 2004

I have an ugly dog to make me appear more handsome.
Yes, we both have FF helmets. HJC CS-12, and an HJC CL-MAX.
We didn't have to yell at all but, again, this was in the house and not riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

C_H_A posted:

Yes, we both have FF helmets. HJC CS-12, and an HJC CL-MAX.
We didn't have to yell at all but, again, this was in the house and not riding.
Oh, I meant with the mic position being close to your mouth. Did it sound like you were eating the mic?