Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C_H_A
Aug 4, 2004

I have an ugly dog to make me appear more handsome.
With our helmets, the mic almost seems too far away. I fly for a living and I like to have the mic touching my lips so this will take a bit of getting used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

A journey never truly has an end...
Ahh. Just wanted to make sure the positioning was comfortable with it. Neat. I'm seriously considering it.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Sir Tonk posted:

Where did you have problems? I just got a EXO-700 the other day and it fits fine other than a good amount of pressure on my cheek bones. NewEnough suggested I wear it for a few more days to see if they reshape. It fits fine otherwise, so I'm hoping it'll adapt to my enormous cheeks.

When I tried on the exo700 it just plain didn't fit. The shape of it felt like it was pinching my forehead. The exo400 on the other hand fit me perfectly. I just chalked it up to a mild differentiation between helmet shapes.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

pr0zac posted:

Misunderstood me, I don't have the Phoenix jacket, I've got another cheaper Joe Rocket mesh jacket (the Rio, I finally figured out what it was called) that I'd like to replace with something that feels better made. I was wondering if the Phoenix (or any other mesh jacket else) actually feels like a well made piece of protective gear, which you actually kind of answered for me so thank you. :) And yeah, I was being sarcastic about going squid.

I think it will hold up OK in a crash (I have the Phoenix), certainly better than nothing. I don't think you'll be able to find a mesh jacket that you'll feel all that great about. I much prefer my leather, but even with the vents and perforations its just too drat hot here.

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn

Tremblay posted:

I think it will hold up OK in a crash (I have the Phoenix), certainly better than nothing. I don't think you'll be able to find a mesh jacket that you'll feel all that great about. I much prefer my leather, but even with the vents and perforations its just too drat hot here.

i crashed in my phoenix, nary a scratch. it was fairly low speed (sub 30) and i rolled in dirt + gravel, not pavement.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
Good to know. I usually wear a longsleeve under it. I'm just afraid of a higher speed get off. I've had to pick melted plastic out of my skin before and it sucks.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
Sorry for a semi double post but I'm shopping for another set of pants and a pair of boots. I was thinking Sidi Verts for boots and was wondering if anyone here had a pair and/or alternate recommendations? For pants I already have the Alpinestars cargo pants but those don't work well as over pants. Again suggestions?

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Alright well since I'm back in northern VA, I figured I would post this stuff up again. I have an Alpinestars 2pc leather suit I'm trying to sell.

Jacket is 42US/52EU and the pants are 34US/50EU. If you're interested my AIM Sn is in my profile

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
how awesome i look in my paper thin mesh jacket and bmw pants.

someone on irc said i look like a character from robot jox. i said gently caress yeah.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

HAY GUYZ! Check out my new leather biker overalls!

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005

bung posted:

HAY GUYZ! Check out my new leather biker overalls!
They should just go ahead and start giving those away with a 'Busa.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Ok AI, I'm sure this has been covered, but this is what megathreads are for correct?

I measured my chest, I puffed it out as big as I could by breathing in and flexing, I got 37 inches.

I popped my belly out as much as I could and got a 31.

Now, alpinestars jackets come in

Summary:VTNewb 37 31

Euro Size Max Chest Size (inches) Max belly size (inches)
46 36 32
48 38 34

Which one do I get?

I'd say size 48, but that'd leave alot of spare belly room.

Ugh.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

VTNewb posted:

Summary:VTNewb 37 31
sup fellow new england thin dude.

my measurements aren't much different. it's tough to find snug fitting gear. that chart you quoted doesn't make sense though, i've never seen any jackets that go down to 32 or 34. i got the smallest size i could find (in fieldsheer anyway) and it's still a little bit loose on me, especially around the waist. looking at a*'s official size chart, S should be good though.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
Was looking at the gloves offered by leeparksdesign.com, and was wondering if anyone has tried them out, and how well they work. Specifically, these.

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

A journey never truly has an end...

Taisa posted:

Was looking at the gloves offered by leeparksdesign.com, and was wondering if anyone has tried them out, and how well they work. Specifically, these.
I've never used those, but if they live up to what they claim, those gloves would be really nice for touring. And they drat well better be for $180!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I asked this on the last page, but didn't get a response.

Is GP armor better than CE armor? The description says GP is an upgrade, but it's cheaper than the CE stuff. Why wouldn't they just put GP armor in all the Joe Rocket jackets/pants if it's better and cheaper?

I got the GP stuff in the mail today. The shell looks harder than the CE stuff. The GP stuff looks like one-use only, though, due to how hard it is.

Here's a side-by-side picture. The CE is on the left, GP on the right.

(WaffleImages, why are you down?!)

EDIT:
Oh, hey, the GP elbow/knee armor is too wide to fit through the holes in either my jacket or my pants. Joy. I'll stick with the CE for now. I may do some cutting/sewing later to get the stuff in.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 17, 2007

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
I am looking for a specific motorcycle jacket, and I can't find it anywhere, as I don't think they make it anymore. I tried to snag it on NewEnough at closeout for $45, but the Large doesn't fit right in the chest so I sold it to a buddy.

If anyone has any or any leads where I can get a Joe Rocket Meteor 4.0 in Men's XL in Gray/Red/Black, I'll pay a finder's fee

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

RealDealNamowicz posted:

I am looking for a specific motorcycle jacket, and I can't find it anywhere, as I don't think they make it anymore. I tried to snag it on NewEnough at closeout for $45, but the Large doesn't fit right in the chest so I sold it to a buddy.

If anyone has any or any leads where I can get a Joe Rocket Meteor 4.0 in Men's XL in Gray/Red/Black, I'll pay a finder's fee

I might have one of those that I got when I bought one of my bikes, I'll check the sizing tonight, if I have it I'll gladly sell it to you for 45 shipped.

Cycletosis
Mar 18, 2006

Taisa posted:

Ive got the Deer Tours gloves in black, they are great gloves. I'm sure the Deer Sports are great too. I got the gloves and my custom fit jacket(the "Commander") from Lee Parks' partner- https://www.foxcreekleather.com Probably the finest leather ive personally seen.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
Alpinestars smx plus boots on closeout for $67.80 plus $9 shipping

http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-5758/Alpinestars-Closeouts/S-MX-Plus-Boots.html

loving AWESOME DEAL

EDIT: Looks to have been a typo, price is back up

orinth fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 17, 2007

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

orinth posted:

Alpinestars smx plus boots on closeout for $67.80 plus $9 shipping

http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-5758/Alpinestars-Closeouts/S-MX-Plus-Boots.html

loving AWESOME DEAL

I would like to point out these guys have basically stolen $90 from me. Worst customer service I've ever experienced. Your post has reminded me to make my weekly phone call to yell at them to give me my money.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

PlasticSun posted:

I might have one of those that I got when I bought one of my bikes, I'll check the sizing tonight, if I have it I'll gladly sell it to you for 45 shipped.

If you have one in either of those colors in an XL, I'll PayPal you $55 :)

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Cool I'll check it tonight and let you know.

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.
Anyone have some advice on the Icon Timax 2 jacket? I'm a new rider and looking for as much protection as possible, washington is pretty cold most of the time so I don't think i'll get too hot in it.

http://newenough.com/protective_apparel/leather_jackets_and_pants/icon/timax_2_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Kruzen posted:

Anyone have some advice on the Icon Timax 2 jacket? I'm a new rider and looking for as much protection as possible, washington is pretty cold most of the time so I don't think i'll get too hot in it.

http://newenough.com/protective_apparel/leather_jackets_and_pants/icon/timax_2_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

If protection is your chief concern I'd avoid Icon's gear, their stiching is sub standard and their thread is poor quality too. If you really want a jacket that's as safe as you can get I'd wear a 661 Pressure Suit under a Vanson Jacket. Or just a Vanson with CE armor.

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.

PlasticSun posted:

If protection is your chief concern I'd avoid Icon's gear, their stiching is sub standard and their thread is poor quality too. If you really want a jacket that's as safe as you can get I'd wear a 661 Pressure Suit under a Vanson Jacket. Or just a Vanson with CE armor.

Where can I find a 661 pressure suit? not seeing it on newenough

edit: drat, vanson poo poo is expensive.

Kruzen fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 17, 2007

pseudohippy
May 3, 2007
Yes, Vanson gear is steep, but it's So worth it. Picked up the Drifter jacket last fall, thing is heavy, but comfortable and seems to be well armored. I use a Schott mesh jacket with GP armor for summer riding, but the thought of testing it kind of scares me. I'd avoid getting Icon Pursuit gloves. . .wicked comfortable, but they're starting to fall apart after 7,000 miles or so. Couple questions. . .anyone here use an Arai Profile? I tried one on as a replacement for my Astral, and I'm curious as to impressions as far as noise and fogging. Also, favorite rainsuits?

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Kruzen posted:

Where can I find a 661 pressure suit? not seeing it on newenough

edit: drat, vanson poo poo is expensive.

Check newenoughmx.com in their protection area: http://newenoughmx.com/sixsixone_pressure_suit_a_y_page.htm

Yeah Vanson stuff is expensive but the leather their use is some of the thickest that you can buy. Other options are to go with brands like Komodo that use a bunch of kangeroo skin which has higher abrasion resistance than leather but is often thinner.

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

PlasticSun posted:

Check newenoughmx.com in their protection area: http://newenoughmx.com/sixsixone_pressure_suit_a_y_page.htm

Yeah Vanson stuff is expensive but the leather their use is some of the thickest that you can buy. Other options are to go with brands like Komodo that use a bunch of kangeroo skin which has higher abrasion resistance than leather but is often thinner.

Which vanson jacket would you reccomend goes along with the pressure suit, and as far as sizing goes, what should I be looking for for each? Same type of size for each one, or Size up on the jacket to accomodate the pressure suit? It looks like its more of a dirt protection, is it still good for street? Should I still use armoring in the Vanson jacket or is the pressure suit enough?

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
I gave an orginal recomendation that's somewhat overkill but you did ask for what's the best protection out there.

For the street you really want good abrasion resistance, the vanson with it's ultra thick leather will provide this. However there's still plenty of hard things in the world and if you fall over it's likely that you'll hit one. The Pressure suit combines CE armor with additional reinforced plastic stuff and foam underneath that. It's ment for you to crash in the dirt and bounce off trees and rocks without breaking too many bones. The chest protector and the back protector on those can be removed if you don't want it to be as bulky, but the quality of hte armor is equal to that of the expensive aftermarket armor. Most street riders get either a leather (for more abrasion resistance) or textile (for more comfort in a variety of weather conditions) jacket and just use the CE or GP armor that the jacket comes with. Adding the pressure suit under a jacket is more than likely overkill, but it would provide the best protection. You would not want to armor the vanson in addition to the pressure suit, that would restrict movement too much.

You can wear a pressure suit without a jacket over it but you're risking taking damage in a slide down asphalt as the suit isn't designed to hold together when you're sliding down the road at 80 mph, the vanson is. The Vanson isn't really designed to preven your back from breaking or your arms from becoming limp tentacles if you side off the road and into a pile of rocks, the pressure suit has a chance of preventing some of that.

If you're just looking to start out, I'd say go after an alpinestar leather jacket as their quality is good without being crazy expensive. Hein Gierke also sells some nice quality leathers. I've been happy with my Fieldsheer and Tour Master leather pants and I felt I got a good deal of them at less than 180 each, but others complain about the stiching and the placement of the armor.

If you do go the Vanson and pressure suit route I'd get the vanson 1 Euro/chest size bigger and then make use of new enough's awesome return policy. The nice thing aboug the pressure suit is that you can wear anything over it since the armor is locked into place around you and not tied to the jacket. Most motorcycle clothing is pretty form fitting to try and prevent the armor from moving around in a crash.

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

PlasticSun posted:

I gave an orginal recomendation that's somewhat overkill but you did ask for what's the best protection out there.

For the street you really want good abrasion resistance, the vanson with it's ultra thick leather will provide this. However there's still plenty of hard things in the world and if you fall over it's likely that you'll hit one. The Pressure suit combines CE armor with additional reinforced plastic stuff and foam underneath that. It's ment for you to crash in the dirt and bounce off trees and rocks without breaking too many bones. The chest protector and the back protector on those can be removed if you don't want it to be as bulky, but the quality of hte armor is equal to that of the expensive aftermarket armor. Most street riders get either a leather (for more abrasion resistance) or textile (for more comfort in a variety of weather conditions) jacket and just use the CE or GP armor that the jacket comes with. Adding the pressure suit under a jacket is more than likely overkill, but it would provide the best protection. You would not want to armor the vanson in addition to the pressure suit, that would restrict movement too much.

You can wear a pressure suit without a jacket over it but you're risking taking damage in a slide down asphalt as the suit isn't designed to hold together when you're sliding down the road at 80 mph, the vanson is. The Vanson isn't really designed to preven your back from breaking or your arms from becoming limp tentacles if you side off the road and into a pile of rocks, the pressure suit has a chance of preventing some of that.

If you're just looking to start out, I'd say go after an alpinestar leather jacket as their quality is good without being crazy expensive. Hein Gierke also sells some nice quality leathers. I've been happy with my Fieldsheer and Tour Master leather pants and I felt I got a good deal of them at less than 180 each, but others complain about the stiching and the placement of the armor.

If you do go the Vanson and pressure suit route I'd get the vanson 1 Euro/chest size bigger and then make use of new enough's awesome return policy. The nice thing aboug the pressure suit is that you can wear anything over it since the armor is locked into place around you and not tied to the jacket. Most motorcycle clothing is pretty form fitting to try and prevent the armor from moving around in a crash.

I really like the idea of the pressure suit, how does the sound of like an alpine-stars jacket with the pressure suit underneath sound? most of the alpine stars jackets i've seen didn't have the nicest armoring in them anyway, and were still pretty drat flexible.

Also, what kind of pants am I looking at?

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
It's been my experience that most leather pants are the same. I wear a set of tourmaster apex pants and love them. For colder weather I have a set of Rev'it Ultimate textile pants. I really like thigh padding even if it's not full armor. Pants that will zip to your jacket are very nice but most pants will come with the second half of the zipper so that you can sew the second half to a non-matching jacket.

An Alpinstar jacket would work fine with a pressure suit but you'll want to make sure you can remove the armor that comes with the alpinstar jacket so that the pressure suit will fit under it. First Gear makes their clothing a bit bigger so you may try them but their build quality is often compared to Joe Rockets and is lower than that of most alpinestar gear.

I really like Tour Master stuff for their price and fit, after ~40K miles mine is seeing a bit of wear where my knees rub the tank but I have no problems with them otherwise.

GimpFace
Nov 11, 2005

cuppa?
Anyone had any armoured jeans like these:

http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/html/k7jean.html

They look pretty good but as someone already sporting gravel rash I dont want to compromise safety.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
I picked up a new jacket today!

It's a really nice, tight fit with perforated front panels and elasticated material on the inner arms to allow stretch on sportsbikes. It just exudes an aura of reassurance that I'm not going to lose my skin if I crash.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
that's such a sassy pose :nyd:

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess
I'm looking for saddle and tail bags for my Ninja 650. I'd like something that I can keep on my bike, so it needs to be fairly sturdy and have zippers that you can lock together. Ideally hard bags like what Corbin offers would be great, but I imagine that isn't going to really be an option. There's plenty of options on newenough or other sites, but what do you guys recommend?

edit: also looking for a bike cover that will go over the entire thing for parking on my college campus. It'd also be nice to have it fit inside the tailbag.

http://www.gezagear.com/faqs.htm#faq9 These seem good, and they say it can sometimes fit under the seats, which makes it seem like it'd fit in a tailbag pretty easy. Only problem is that they're about $200, and I don't really want to invest that much.

RC212V fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 19, 2007

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Uthor posted:

I was going to order some perforated Joe Rocket Blaster pants today.

Sir Tonk posted:

I want to get those same pants. What temperature will you be riding in with them? They look like my best option for perf leather, but it's mighty hot down here.

I finally got a chance to wear these today. Weather.com is saying that's it's 77 degrees outside right now, though a couple banks I passed were reading all the way up to 86 degrees (probably a little optimistic there). The pants felt just fine in these temps (I was worried they'd be a little cool). The breeze in the shins and crotch was nice. They felt a little warmer than jeans, but not much. They do block more wind than jeans do, however. Guessing, I'd say they'll be comfortable to at least 90 degrees as long as you're moving and wearable up to 100 or so, but I won't get to test that for a while.

Other impressions:
The knee armor could be slightly higher (1/8-1/4 inch). It's not low enough for me to worry or exchange.
The ankles taper a lot and the leather is thin enough to fit into my boots, which are not designed for this. This is good 'cause there is no way I'd get the pants over the boots.
The pants are a lot lighter and more flexible than my overpants, though they still need to be broken in.
The all around zipper is slightly longer than the zipper in my jacket. This keeps the jacket from centering properly and the jacket sits about 1/4 inch off center from the pants. Not enough to cause any problems, just a slight annoyance.
My overpants have nice thick hip pads. These pants barely have anything. Got to remember not to fall on my hips...

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

PlasticSun, any luck on that jacket?

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
I'm just about to go up and dig through my attic again. I know it's up there somewhere. I'll drop you a PM as soon as I find it, should be today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

PlasticSun posted:

I'm just about to go up and dig through my attic again. I know it's up there somewhere. I'll drop you a PM as soon as I find it, should be today.

Cool thanks man.