Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I need to update some of my gear. I started in April and now use my ninja 250 to commute ~45 miles per day. We are starting to get into the colder months and I'm in the desert so it's cold in the morning and hot in the afternoon (Lancaster, CA).

My current commuting gear:
-Dainese leather jacket, probably a size too big, unknown model. I have a A* stunt textile jacket for hot days.
-Dainese summer gloves, very awesome
-Shoei X-11 / RF-1000
-high-top steel-toed workboots
I own a pair of Sidi Fusions in 9.5, but I think the toe-box is just a bit too small as my toes go numb after longer rides :(. I can easily wear those in the morning and even leave the workboots at work to change into / out of.
-NO pants! Not only are my legs cold in the morning, but they are 100% unprotected.

So, here's what I will probably need:
-something to make my helmet warmer. Balaclava comes to mind.
-Winter / waterproof gloves. No idea where to start here as all I've tried on are the CRAP at the local cyclegear. They had no winter gloves in any brand but Bilt. I actually where a size small in Dainese.
-Decent backpack, god I hate riding with a standard backpack. Thinking Kriega R30.
-Overpants. I own a pair of mesh Bilt overpants, but they don't feel like they would do me any good and I'm looking for something to cut the wind. Wouldn't mind a commute onesy of some sort.
-back-protector, probably of the wearable sort so that I can use it with any jacket.

Also want a SMH10 so that I can listen to talk radio and be less sleepy, but man this is going to be some serious cash!

Recommendations on pants and gloves? I wear 34 x 32 jeans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

AncientTV posted:

If you're looking for a balaclava, I wore one of these all last winter and it was amazing.

edit:
Something unrelated of my own:
I found a Trackskinz

Thanks for the link on the balaclava! That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe I'll be able to find one locally at a sporting goods store.

That suit looks like it fits perfectly. Nice find, outdated television!

So here's what I've come up with from my searching (all on revzilla):

Winter / waterproof gloves:
1. A* Tech Road Gore-Tex on closeout! I wear a small for my Dainese summer gloves, so the A* small should be okay? Yes, I have tiny hands. These are a little pricey, but they're on close-out and seem REALLY nice.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-tech-road-gore-tex-gloves-closeout
2. A* Apex Drystars. Pretty basic. I've always put my gauntlets under my jacket cuff, so I'm curious if an over-the-cuff setup would bother me or even work with my current jacket options.
http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-apex-drystar-gloves

Pants or overpants:
1. Rev'it Axis Pants. I like the design with easy put-on / take-off, but I'm a little weary on the reviews stating not much protection. Although, anything is better than what I'm using now.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-axis-pants
2. A* Edge Drystar. Fairly basic. I might buy these as an overpant. A tad bit better protection than the Axis pant, from what I can tell, but without the nice design feature of quick put-on / take-off.
http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-edge-drystar-pants
These are out of stock on revzilla, though.
3. Rev'it Ceyenne Pro Pants. Thinking about picking these up for the more serious riding, but probably at a later date. Everything seems awesome about these. They aren't an overpant, but I don't own anything like this. If I'm feeling crazy, I'll bite the bullet and pick them up now since they're on sale.
http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-cayenne-pro-pants

After looking at these options, I realize that 1 and 2 aren't really for winter, but just a waterproof overpant. I have "smart-wool" underwear that I've been wearing, but removing those mid-day is the same or worse than changing out of a textile pant into jeans right when I arrive at work.

Back Protector:
1. Forcefield BackPad. Pricey, but I hear good things. Problem is that I own an A* jacket and an A* one-piece as well that this might not be able to work with. A wearable back protector might be a better idea, but I KNOW I won't wear it while commuting and I would totally just insert this thing and forget about it. The woes of ATGATT.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forcefield-backpad-insert-pro-for-dainese

Anybody own any of these or have competitor's suggestions?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Fifty Three posted:

If I have a Shift Vendetta jacket, what kind of back protector insert thing is going to fit?

I believe SAS-TEC as well as many other manufacturers make generic insert-able back protectors. I've read good reviews on SAS-TEC and Forcefield.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-sas-tec-back-protector

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forcefield-backpad-insert-pro

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Here's my shopping cart:

Winter / waterproof gloves:
1. A* Tech Road Gore-Tex on closeout.
BOUGHT THESE. Will try and write a review when they arrive in this thread. These are some serious gloves, probably overkill when I get back to TX, but it will make me look forward to colder riding :D.

Pants or overpants:
1. FirstGear HT Overpants is what I ended up with. I was somewhat looking for an allseason textile overpant, but these will do fine and I think the pricepoint is pretty good. Review inbound.

Back Protector:
1. Went ahead and purchased the ForceField backpad. Review inbound.

I might head down to a Dick's Sporting goods to see if they have the UA coldgear ballaclava that AncientTV suggested. Otherwise, I think my shopping is done here!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

Rev'it had the nicest glove at the best price that I found, but their latest gloves have a twiddled fit with an entirely too short thumb for me. If they fit you, I'd recommend them strongly.

Dainese costs more for what you get but is going to be pretty impeccable quality-wise. My current Daineses aren't as nice or comfy as the Rev'its in their price range, but they fit me better. Their top-line stuff is eye-popping pricy but If you're not doing track racing you can take a few steps down without sacrificing.

My first pair of gloves was/is a $120 dainese summer glove. I never regretted the purchase once (sorry I don't know the model). I recently picked up some ridic a* goretex gloves on clearance because nobody wears my size and they are baller too!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
The ones I picked up are actually A* Tech Road Gore-Tex. Here's to hoping I get a couple decent seasons.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Boru posted:

Winter is (almost) upon us, and it *looks* like I may be riding by the end of the week. Because of this it's time for me to lust after winter gear. 'Cause, you know, I'll probably just end up breaking my bike and scowling all winter; but hey a guy can hope! :iamafag:

First, the jacket.

Either this, hip and cool:

The Rev It! Melville

Or this Alaska tested hardcore jacket (as described on Revzilla):

Icon Patrol

Next, the gloves.

I've poked around and I think without getting much over $100 these may be the best "bang for the buck":

Dianese Clutch D Dry

And then: pants.

First Gear HT Overpants. Once again: bang for buck I'm not going to find waterproof, 3 season overpants for less than 200ish. This may be a dream item, I'm probably just going to have to freeze my legs off for a little while until I can raise the money.

Finally boots. I'm between two.

First, the cheaper of the two:

Icon Patrol. There's been a lot of really favorable reviews for these and I think they're moderately sharp looking at least.

Then there's these, slightly higher on the ankle and more expensive:

Alpinestars Scout boots. Once again, really favorable reviews, but they're like twice as much so that's a minor issue.

Ok so that's my winter wish list. Depending on how well/if my bike is running will depend on how geared up I get this winter. Last year it was REALLY mild, with temperatures in the upper 20s nearly the entire time, so I guess that will play a role in how bundled up I need to get too.

I just picked up those FirstGear HT overpants since I'm going to be riding in <50F weather (started this morning). Overall, I'm happy and I never regretted spending full price. They function well, are easy to take on and off, and keep the wind off of my knees. I have yet to use the liner, but I'm hopeful it will make them capable of WAY cooler temperatures.

OK, So I don't know how well they "function", yet.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

One thing about overpants that style, particularly waterproof ones, is sometimes the fabric in the seat is way slipperier than, say, the Levi's you've been riding in all summer. It can really throw you off (!) the first time you reposition yourself and end up drat near sliding off the seat. Something to check on to see if it bothers you if you can sit on the bike in them before buying.

I'm about 8 rides (~23 miles each) in and they've been doing fine. No slippery butts for me!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Speaking of boots. I picked up some Sidi Fusions in 9.5 off of the classifieds thread on CA, which have served me well. These don't have adequate lateral ankle support like the Cortechs mentioned above and they don't really fit well in the toe box.

Any suggestions? It would be awesome if I could try them on, but the local cycle gear doesn't have much selection other than their SEDICI/BiLT/BUNS OF STEEL brand. I can special order some and return them in the store though...

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
So I decided to check out a local LA gear shop and went to beach moto. They have a unique selection and the service was excellent. I ended up picking up some SIDI
Vertigos to replace my used fusions that I picked up off the for sale thread here. Pretty stoked about the boots upgrade! Oh and some revit mesh gloves on clearance. Small hand supremacy!

:dance:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Pissingintowind posted:

How much did the Vertigos run you? I'm thinking about that or the Cobras...

I paid just under $300 before tax. At the store, I liked the Vertigos as they seemed like a solid step up from the Fusions, both in protection and comfort. I was really sold on the adjustable calf support, which makes the boot more flexible for different gear. I tried them on with regular jeans and they fit very nicely as compared to my Fusions which didn't like anything that wasn't bulky enough for the top of the boot to grab. It also allows for different calf shapes as well and overall more snug fit.

I tried on the Cobras and they seemed to me like Fusions with a little bit more protection. If you're looking for a first pair, maybe start with the Fusions or go with the Vertigos from the get-go.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
I've heard it's really up to personal preference on how you wear your gauntlets. I prefer wearing them under my sleeve as it is the most comfortable. Even in 45F weather and highway speeds, I have never felt air get into my sleeve as it is a very tight fit with my leather jacket, down liner, wool thermal top, and then the glove. It just barely zips.

That being said, my GoreTex winter gloves don't work very well in the lower 40's / upper 30's at highway speeds. I was thinking about getting something like this:
http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/coldgear-liner-gloves/pid1234587-001

I'm looking for as thin as possible since I would want to wear them under my winter gloves, so I already don't like the grippy palm. I only have to endure another couple months before I go back to TX and won't remember what cold-weather riding feels like, so I want to invest as little as possible. The tips of my fingers almost freeze off on my 23 mile ride, though.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I have a pair of these that I wear under my gloves when it's chilly

http://www.rei.com/product/835651/smartwool-liner-gloves

They'r e quite thin, and don't have any grippiness. Just slippery wool knit. The fingertips are conductive mesh so you can use your iPhone or what-have-you.

Halo_4am posted:

Agreed. After trying with all kinds of one off gloves and still being left with cold hands I picked up a pair of these to go under my gauntlets. They have the smartphone bit like the REI ones above, and are thin enough to clasp my helmet, have a smoke, etc. I wear them as general all purpose gloves as well, and they work fine by themselves for all things not on a motorcycle so far this year.

Liners/Layering is really best unless you can swing the cost of heated gloves.

Funny, my fiance works for REI and they JUST had a huge sale on all smartwool stuff for employees. I can see that stuff developing holes, though. I will have to try out one of these. My winter gauntlets are pretty tight, so I'm hoping they fit over something like this.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Anyone got a decent Balaclava recommendation? I have one of the Freeze-out things from Cycle Gear, but it sucks. My neck beard just isn't cutting it when It's below 39f in the morning.

UnderArmour ColdGear balaclava is where it's at. It fits under the helmet very well and is that magical thin wicky stuff that UA uses.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Stugazi posted:

I am still looking for an everyday pants solution for riding to work etc. Overpants seem to be the only practical quick change solution for work riding. Anyone have overpants that they like? Or....what is your quick change work riding solution? I can't wear a pair of $250 Dainese Jeans to work 5 days a week no matter how good they look.

The more I wear my First Gear HT overpants, the more I like them. The venting works pretty well for temperatures in the upper eighties (arid climate). Just the other day, I used the insulating liner with them and it worked wonders in low forties across town. They're basically snow-boarding / skiing pants with armor. Well worth the money IMO.

XYLOPAGUS fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 7, 2013

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
This is awesome. Wilsons leather fingerless gloves with holes for the knuckles.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/3541691285.html

(sorry I'm on my phone or I would have taken a screen shot)

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
So I bought some Cycle Gear brand glove liners for my morning ride to see if it would make my hands ok for a couple degrees lower temperatures. I was wrong. I've learned that my GoreTech GP Tech Road gloves that I got on clearance simply aren't cold weather gloves. They function down to 40 degrees F pretty well but NOTHING less, especially with speed.

Some advice from my co-worker was that in order for something to properly insulate, it can't be tight-fitting (he's been riding for longer than I've been alive and swears by sno-mobile oriented gear, but they definitely don't sell that stuff here). That makes sense because this morning it was MAYBE a couple degrees colder, but with the liners, my hands were DEFINITELY colder. I was toasty in my core, on my arms, and on my legs / feet, but my fingers felt like they were about to fall off. It's funny because my feet are just lovely steel-toe workboots and some medium-thickness wool socks.

I think my solution is going to be to carpool for the next few weeks before I get to Houston. Either that or some $20 hippo hands.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

SaNChEzZ posted:

That's why a sleeping insulates best when you go commando, as opposed to layering up with 5000 hoodies like some people do. :science:

Took me a while to find the missing word "bag". Haha

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Xovaan posted:

My Tusk hand mitts are probably the best cold weather investment I've made. (Thanks to who recommended them!) I had an 8am class and every day I'd leave around 7 in my valley before the sun would break over the mountain. Some days it would be so cold I'd have to chip ice off of my gauges to read them and the wind chill would frost my visor. The tusk mitts make my hands so warm they nearly get clammy. They're waterproof, too, for rain and drivers pissing all over your style and whatever.

I'd highly recommend mitts and normal gloves.

Anybody know where I can order some of these? The only retailer I could find was here: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/-/-/-/-/-/-/130917/ and they're sold out. :(

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
I bought my helmet new-old-stock and I talked to the owner of the store about the safety risks involved. He said he would wear that lid, but he has a personal rule of replacing helmets after 2 years. That's my plan. (It's an RF-1000. I paid $150 and it hadn't even been exposed to sunlight!) I also bought a lightly used X-11 that I need to get rid of at 1 year of use.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Now that I'm back in Houston, I have to deal with rain. A cruiser-riding co-worker of mine has suggested "Frogg Toggs Road Toads" for an over-existing-gear solution http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/RoadToads.shtm. I went and looked at some and they seem ok. Anybody have any experience with these?

Also, on an unrelated note, my beloved Dainese summer gloves have developed a hole in one of the fingers after just ONE riding season. I have to admit, I'm a bit upset (these were $120). Does anyone have any experience getting warranty work done on their Dainese gear? Can I just take it into a cyclegear (where I bought it)?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Somewhat on topic:

I started with some Sidi Fusion boots which were never really comfortable and impulse bought some Sidi Vertigos in the same size a few months back. The Vertigos are amazingly comfortable all around.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
So, I broke the cardinal helmet rule a few months back and bought a used helmet.

I just checked the date on it and it was manufactured in "08/03". I feel like a retard. :( It's an X11 and I will never wear it again.

My other helmet is an RF-1000 and it's production date reads "051129." I'm hoping this means it was manufactured in 2011. I bought it as new old stock from a dealer.

Regardless, I'm going to go look at helmets tomorrow. I'll be looking at some Bell helmets (Vortex and RS-1) and Scorpion (EX-500). Woot!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
I just accidentally a

:D

2 wheel toyz in Houston had this bad boy marked down to $450. I found out I have an AGV head so bam new helmet! I will keep the RF-1000 for around town and this guy will be twisties and track. My first track day is May 26th at MSRH!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Oh, you poor innocent people who don't have to wear glasses just to see. Double-fogging is really not much fun in the winter; doesn't matter how great your visor or helmet are, your glasses will still fog up. And you can't put any kind of rain-x stuff on them because it changes the focal length and gives you headaches. Hooray!

What's up fellow must-wear-glasses-all-the-time buddy.

:unsmith:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

SaNChEzZ posted:

Hello bike gear thread.

I'm looking for some new mesh pants, the ones I have currently have experienced too much supermoto supremacy and are melted all over the legs, so it's time for some new ones. Any recommendations? I have the Icon ARC mesh pants, and I really like them however they're a bit baggy, which is why they're all melted up. I bought them as overpants, but because SoCal is so nice, I usually just wear them as regular pants, sans pants-under.

Thinking about these:
http://www.bikebandit.com/joe-rocket-phoenix-3-0-pants

They've got rave reviews wherever I look.

I've been looking to replace my gawd-awful Bilt overpants and these look like they'll do the trick. I may just pick some up!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
I may be retarded, but I cannot stand wearing my Sidi Vertigos without at least jeans to tuck into them. The only setup that really feels great is my one-piece leather suit tucked into the boots because of the shin protector.

I commute 3.5 miles in town every day and I'm currently wearing combat boots. Anybody else have such a short commute? If so, what do you wear? It might help to know that I'm in Houston and it's humid as all hell. I feel like I'm failing my non-existent ATGATT buddies here :(. I also ride in my work slacks. I have a pair of Bilt overpants, but the zipper on the leg doesn't allow it to go over ANY boot, so they're basically useless for commuting.

I'm considering these pants as they're basically free http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe-rocket-phoenix-30-pants. I have no idea on a commute-boot though.

Glad to get that off my shoulders!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

AncientTV posted:

I commute 5 miles with everything in comparable weather. I've got the same boots, and my riding pants tuck into them well (Dainese New Drake Air pants). Dedicated pants are obviously less convenient than overpants, but if you have access to a bathroom to change at your destination, it really isn't that much of a bother to go ATGATT. I change 6 times a day sometimes (work and class) and it only takes me a couple minutes each time, if even that long.
Get gear that is comfortable and you'll find yourself wearing it more. After a while, you won't want to go back to half gear, even for short commutes.

Is there any reason you don't want to wear your Vertigos for commuting, aside from the aforementioned shin guard problem? I've found them to be pretty comfortable.

No issues with the Vertigos outside of the boot-tucking issue. They are all around more comfortable than my fusions (same size, but the toe-box was a bit tighter on the fusions which made my foot go numb). I definitely have access to bathrooms and a dedicated pant may be my next thing. Over pants are okay, but in this weather they are just as hot as a dedicated with shittier protection IMO.

Thanks olde television.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Speaking of repairs, I have a pair of Dainese gauntlets that are coming apart at one of the seams. I paid full retail at cycle gear a little over a year ago. Anybody know if I can get these repaired? I wear a different pair of gloves for my daily commute so I'm okay with mailing them off for a bit.

Also I need some tips on leather maintenance. Suggestions for cleaners / treatments?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Went by the local cycle gear today during lunch. Looks like their system is not nation wide so they were no help. I'm going to contact Dainese.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Angryboot posted:

Hope the Dainese home office will take care of you; I bought a jacket from CG a while back and some of the stitching on the sleeves came loose so I took it to a Dainese store. The clerks there told me I'd have to go through CG to get that fixed since it's on their warranty.

Holy poo poo I have the loving receipt from 3/25/2012. The dude at Cyclegear also mentioned that since Dainese doesn't make the glove anymore that he might not be able to help. That's a crock of bullshit, though. My process for saving receipts is: "Is it not groceries? Is it expensive? Do you still have the item? If yes to all of these, then save the receipt forever."

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Inu was right. Manager was there and replaced my gloves no questions asked today. Awesome.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Sold the Sidi Fusions and my only pair of summer riding pants. Bilt Blaze I think they were called. Comfortable and breathable, but the armor was always in the complete wrong spot on my knee. I also couldn't put them on over boots.

I had previously decided on Dainese New Drake Air pants and I think I might pull the trigger finally, since I actually have zero pants to wear in TX heat outside of my leather one-piece.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
FWIW, I have used my R30 as a tailbag a couple of times. I used a bungee net and some nylon rope to secure it to the pillion seat on my SV650. Works pretty well, but you have to make sure it's very secure as it will shift with >200 miles and assloads of bumps. I almost lost it and my 'toggs on the first trip because I didn't have the nylon rope.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Anybody here have a set of saddlebags for their sport / standard bike? I'm looking for something to strap to the SV650 to give a tad more versatility (like groceries, small purchases, maybe a jacket?). I'm also open to a tail bag of some sort.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
I have the R30, which is probably too much for what I use it for, but I love the strap system, FWIW. My best uses have been when it is packed to the brim, though, so I can kindof see your point.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Can't recommend the Dainese Drake Air pants enough. Love mine.

A friend of mine loaned / gave me a Joe Rocket mesh jacket (ballistic?). I like the mesh but I think even the Medium feels too baggy on me. If I can get a well fitting Dainese mesh jacket, that would be baller.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
AncientTV suggested them to me a while back and I held off due to the price tag. I finally picked up a pair and I agree with your sentiments. Glad you like 'em.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Z3n posted:

Sena smh10 + headphones.

I have the SMH10 with wired earpiece and I cannot, for the life of me, get it loud enough to hear with properly inserted earplugs at 65 mph in my Shoei RF-1000. Is my lid really that loud? I've tried moving the speakers around too. They're currently right behind the hole of my ear and partially covered by the cheekpad. I do think my helmet is just slightly too large, but the Medium gave me a huge headache from the moment I tried it on.

I'm HIGHLY considering getting some excellent quality earbuds and this kit http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH-A030...words=Sena+SMH. I'll hold on to the other base in case I find a helmet that I can hear the speakers with. Then I could switch between two helmets seamlessly while keeping one SMH10 unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Galler posted:

For what it's worth I have a couple pairs of Rev'It gloves that I'm happy with.

I bought some clearance Rev'It gloves (I think they're marketed as MX gloves) that are my go-to summer gloves. Love em. Seconding this guy.