Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm looking at the Fieldsheer Adventure jacket as a wet/cold weather jacket (in the Pacific Northwest, so it's mainly for the wet).
Read the advrider review, and it seems like a good deal. I've read that Fieldsheer's sizing is a bit off, though. Anyone have any experience with this? I think a friend of mine has this same jacket, so I might be able to try it on before ordering.

E: I'm also looking at the Fieldsheer Highland.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

titanium posted:

I just got my silly helmet for a silly price from designerhelmets.com

This is a thing of beauty.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

SlightlyMadman posted:

As an update to this, I tried to wear the helmet for the ride home last night, and the chin bar became completely detached on the broken side and was just dangling in the wind. I had a look at it more closely inside the break when I got home, and there's only a little plastic tab holding the drat thing on. I'm not sure how that tab broke, but I've only put he helmet through normal use and never even dropped it.

I got a HJC CL-Max and, frankly, it sucks. I use it as a backup. It feels cheap, has tons of wind noise, the visor fogs instantly in almost anything but warm weather, the vents are useless. HJC's "patent pending" visor lock sucks. Mine broke the first time I tried to lift the visor.
At first I thought that it might just be my visor that was messed up. It refused to lift past the first notch without a lot of force. A friend of mine has a different HJC model, and his is the same; never wants to lift. Hell, the tinted visor he bought for it didn't even fit properly.
I am not impressed by HJC's products and won't be buying from them again. Thank god my helmet was on closeout.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm a bit wary of that myself, but a modular is useful in the late fall & winter for me. I have to go through a gate to get to work, and it's easier to flip up the front of the helmet and pull my mask down to show my face to the guard rather than take the whole drat helmet off.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's every morning and a huge hassle taking off my winter gloves in order to undo the snap, take off the helmet, pull down the mask then put it all back on after the guard confirms my identity. All while holding up everyone at the gate.
Riding with a modular isn't a death sentence.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Well, it was the first full on raining commute of the year today. I expected my pants to be went; the zipper came off the right side (full length zip) and all that's keeping the leg closed is velcro. Much to my surprise, my legs were bone dry. Even so, I'm still replacing the pants (new ones in the mail).
My arms, however, were wet around the elbow and upper arm. This is the first time my jacket has ever had water get through, and I've been through some downpours. I've got some waterproofing spray and plan on laying it on when I get home. I'm thinking, though, that I should play it safe and get a waterproof over layer. Any recommendations? I've already got an over for my pants (just got it in the mail).

I also noticed some water in one of my boots after stepping off the bike. Think I found the leak, though, and am pretty sure I can fix it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
What's the general consensus on Cyclgear (Bilt) stuff? I know they've shunned a lot of stuff to push their own brand. It's tempting because of the prices, but I'm a bit skeptical.
From what I've read insofar at other sites, Bilt is pretty much the same as many other brands, and is often made in the same factories. It's just a complete hit or miss on whether your gear will last or fall apart. The five year warranty is a big draw, too. I was talking to one of the folks at Cyclegear while getting my tire switched out, and they say you don't need a receipt, just bring in the defective gear.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Guess I'll just have to hold out longer for better gear.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Fangs404 posted:

I picked up a used magnetic tank bag here, and it's been great the last month or two, but the zipper that holds the bag part down to the magnetic part no longer zips. I took it to a tailor around here, but she said she couldn't fix it. Looks like I'm gonna have to get a new bag. What magnetic bags do you guys recommend? I'm not interested in straps, and I'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg on one.

[edit]
The Icon Urban Magnetic looks really neat. Anyone have experience with that?

I treat my Nelson Riggs bag like poo poo and am amazed at how well it's held up. I'd list all the stuff that's wrong with it, but I know it's all a result of my mistreatment. All the zippers still work, though!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
After much use, the liners in my EXO-400 have gone to crap. Picked this up:

Looking forward to my helmet fitting properly again.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I had some BILT boots. They were okay (especially for the price) but I just didn't like them all that much. Unfortunately the 30 days for return had expired. Luckily they have an easy as poo poo warranty. I stabbed the zipper with a screwdriver until it wouldn't set and traded them in towards the purchase of a pair of Speed & Strength Moment of Truth:

I made sure to check reviews and whatnot before paying, and they all seemed pretty positive. Really liking them so far, and broke them in the same day with all the riding I did. I compared them to the BILTs of the same MRSP (half off, of course! :haw:) and they're so much better. The BILT shoes felt so thin. The whole thing twisted and contorted like a tennis shoe. It almost felt like a rubber boot. The ankle protection was a joke, too. The S&S, on the other hand, were very sturdy, and the ankle protection was very solid. I enjoy the lack of laces, too.
The only issue is the snap on top; it isn't secured at all when not closed and can easily come off. Simple fix is just keeping it closed when not in use.
Now I just need some winter boots and a new helmet & new winter jacket before the "season" ends.

E: Not really "gear" but I was looking for a 12v outlet. Cycle Gear wanted $20 for one with a handlebar mount. I jumped over to Eagle Leather in Lakewood and got one without (was going in my plastics anyway) for $7. :cool:

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 21, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Bazacko posted:

Did you get the BILT stuff at Cycle Gear in Auburn? I walked in there looking for a helmet and pretty much did a 180 when I realized they stock 1000 of the lovely BILT helmets and only 2 Arais :argh:

I did! Haha. So much BILT stuff in there. I'd have gone to a different place if I was able to get my money back and didn't have to do store credit. I like the people there, but CG pushing it's own crap is pretty absurd.
I like Eagle Leather, but in my experience, their sales people are pretty pushy. I think they work on commission.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They actually do. Nolan, Bell, Scorpion, HJC, Fulmer, etc. A few brands I've never heard of before. It's a good place so size a helmet then order online.
Getting there is easy, too: I-5 south, take the 512/Puyallup exit, right at the onramp light.
E: Not sure how long it's lasting, but they were having a 10-50% off everything in the store as of this past weekend.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 21, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Boru posted:

Speed and Strength Over the Influence (blue and yellow will clash. I know, I'm cheap, I'll figure it out later)

Ahem :colbert:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Trip report on the S&S boots: holy poo poo I love them. I got lucky and rode through a lull in the rain storm yesterday morning on the way to work. Not as lucky on the way back to the ferry, though. Steady rain for the first 15 miles and an absolute spring downpour the last five.
The boots aren't listed as waterproof and have a perforated leather upper, yet somehow my feet stayed dry. The only moisture was from water going down the back of my socks. poo poo yes.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
For the construction working HD enthusiast, I present to you the Harley-Davidson RHDHHAT10K Flames Hard Hat. On sale now at Amazon for the low price of $18.69. That's 42% off! A $13.77 savings! Add a chin strap and it'll double as a brain bucket for when you're riding your sweet hog driving your Dodge Ram covered in Harley stickers!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VWVM84?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I really like the look of the Nolan N43E Trilogy, but I don't know if it's elitist enough. The yellow in the voyage pattern is boss. The only thing I'm iffy about is that chin bar.

E: Wait, get this thing!

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 30, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
He works in mysterious ways.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
HJC visors fog like a bitch. Not sure how that would affect a 3/4 though. The CS-5N is the only non-hipster helmet, of the 3/4s, you listed, though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Helmet took a nasty spill and broke the back vent, forcing me to order a new one. I've needed to get a new one for a while anyway.

Gave myself a $150 budget and bit the bullet on an N43. It's the original version, but hey, 50% off and free shipping. It's currently out for delivery. I wanted white or wine, but they only had silver in small. I'll be commuting with it starting tomorrow and (try to remember to) post a trip report Friday. My commute is 5 miles in the city with no plugs and 20 miles of 50(ish) zones with slight city while wearing plugs. It's a pretty good ride for measuring gear overall.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/25987/ITEM/Nolan-N43-Trilogy-Modular-N-Com-Helmet.aspx

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm honestly not worried about theft. I'm insured and have gap.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've only had it for a couple of days, but I'm loving my Nolan N43.
Pros: The amount of visibility is amazing. You basically get the same amount as a 3/4.
Despite the visor fogging easily, the built in vent clears it up very quickly. I'll definitely be looking into a Pin Lock before it gets colder and wetter.
I never really thought my EXO-400 was heavy, but after wearing this, the weight is obvious.
The lining is smooth and comfortable.
Speaker slots (as expected) fit my speakers perfectly, and there's plenty of room for hiding the cable without it interfering with the padding.
It moves a ton of air.
I like the ratchet style chin strap. It feels sturdy, never comes loose and is pretty drat easy to use.
Removing & reinstalling the visor and chin bar are simple steps.
It's quiet. There is no whistling or buffeting at any normal angle for riding. The only whistle I've found is sitting straight up and looking up at about a 45 degree angle.
The tint of the drop down sun visor is good. I also feel like a fighter pilot.

Cons:
While my chin doesn't touch the chin bar (as some reviewers have experienced) it's very close. This is disconcerting to me, as I'm afraid of my chin jamming into it during a crash.
Just like my modular HJC, there are a few plasticy creaks and other noises around the moving bits. Not totally unexpected, though.
While I like the ratchet chin strap, there's no good spot to attach it to the bike's helmet lock. D-rings have the metal rings themselves. This has nothing.
The liner is comfortable, but it feels a bit thin on the top.
The drop down sun visor could stand to be lowered further. The nose cutout doesn't need to be their, and it fogs easier than the main visor.

Other:
I've not had the helmet long, but insofar, I've not felt a discernable difference in the amount of air flowing with the chin bar removed. It may just be my big chin, though. Either way, I'm just going to keep the bar on.
I've seen some reviewers saying that their chin drops below the chin bar. Mine doesn't.
The protective film put on the visor for shipping/store display says 100% made in Italy. This amuses me.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's got a bit more flex than a standard bar, but it feels sturdy enough. It did pass DOT and ECE ratings, after all. The Revzilla review says it's made from the same stuff as nalgene bottles. The connectors for it are steel, though, not plastic. If you've got the scratch, I would go for the N-43E. It's the latest model with a few upgrades/changes. I think they're around $230-250.

E: I would definitely try one on in store first if you feel claustrophobic. One thing with this helmet that might work for you is switching the face shield out for the visor and wearing non tinted goggles/glasses. Bottom middle in this photo:

EE: Another note, I noticed that the chin bar on the American version (the Trilogy) drops farther down than on the Air. The chin bar releases are also gray, not red:

Saw this on Craigslist and immediately thought of this thread:
Mens Black Leather Chaps - $70 (Poulsbo)

quote:

Like new mens size Large black leather chaps from Wilson's leather. Paid over $100, asking $70. All buttons and zippers work fine. Call or e-mail 360-649-3360.
Wilsons Leathers need not apply! :haw:

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 16, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I could've sworn it passed the ECE rating for full face.

Yeah, per Nolan:

quote:

•GE Lexan® chinbar is EPS lined; mounted with b stainless-steel latches, it passes the test for full-face helmets of the European standard ECE-2205.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There's something so drat amusing about a jacket called The Violator

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I was at the new Cyclegear in Lynwood to grab a couple things that were on sale last night. As usual, almost all of the Bilt stuff was 50% off. I decided to take a closer look at various pieces of gear, and holy poo poo the quality is so low. Comparing an Alpine-Star jacket with a Bilt one is night and day. The stitching on the Bilt gear was total poo poo on everything: frayed threads; hems falling apart; uneven stitching; gaps in the seams. They must have constant returns with that "No Hassle 5-Year warranty."

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I look utterly ridiculous with the visor up on my N43. My friend said I remind her of Robocop with it down though. :cool:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm under the impression that JR is just a different brand of HJC, so take that for what it's worth.
It sucks that helmets are one of those things you're generally hosed on if you end up not liking it. Someone open a brick and mortar store with a wind tunnel for testing out gear.

If you're lazy about saving up money, just do what I do: donate plasma. I get $60 for donating twice a week. That comes out to ~$240 a month. There's your gear budget.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Your old helmet doesn't fit as snug because the liner was broken in. Give the Bell some time. Wind noise makes sense since it's a modular. Those seem to generate more for some reason (at least IMO).

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I believe there's a second generation of Revolvers. Those probably have a curtain. Pretty sure the Webbike review is on the first gen.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My old helmet lives on as a wine rack. The rear wind vents even hold the stoppers! The visor (reflective, green tint) isn't on in this picture, but you get the idea.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

JP Money posted:

Excuse me while I do this immediately ^^. What a great idea for dropped / old helmets.

Make sure to take the foam out before drilling. My patio was a mess. Eye protection is a must, too. Flying plastic and whatnot. I used the largest bit I had (3/4") but I had to widen the holes more to fit the bottles. I'd suggest a 7/8" or 1".

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My current cold/winter gloves are last year's model of Joe Rocket Rush. They really don't keep my hands warm on their own, but they're great with my heated grips. There's a wiper on both thumbs, too! Looks like they removed the wipers from the most recent iteration, though. :(

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Have you tried rim tape?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Try going up on size on the padding? I know Scorpion uses the same shell for their M & S helmets. Maybe it's the same for their L/XL?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
You also have to take into account how "aggressive" the helmet's profile is and where the wind flow is on your bike.
When I'm sitting upright, I've got nothing but clean air and no whistling or buffeting. But if I go into a more aggressive position, my head goes into the stream of air coming off my windscreen. Buffeting becomes a constant and whistling is a possibility.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've had a few people ask "Aren't ear plugs illegal when you're operating a vehicle?" It's always a good chance to educate! In Washington state, it is illegal to use any kind of headphones (in/on ear or anything between) while operating a motor vehicle. However, ear plugs are legal while operating a two-wheeled motor vehicle. Helmet speakers are legal, as well.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's time for my to get waterproof boots. I sort of ignored it and the rains are coming back now. I'm looking at the Alpinestars Alpha Touring ($170) or the Ridge ($150). Between these two, is it really a matter of how tall the boot is and what I prefer? It doesn't seem like I can go wrong with A*S.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Cost-
Grips definitely cost a lot less than gloves. They can wire direct to the battery or you can run them through something that already is (headlights) that only comes on when the ignition does. Gloves require a connector, adding to the cost.

Convenience-
Grips are more convenient in that you just turn them on. You don't have to take the time to (un)plug them, with gloves you do. However, if you're riding someone else's bike (for whatever reason) and they have the same connection, you can use your heated gloves. The same idea goes for multiple bikes that you own.

Comfort-
Gloves are going to provide more comfort in that they heat your entire hand, whereas grips only get the palm and fingers. Another issue with grips is that it will take longer for the heat to get to your hands, and it dissipates quickly when you break contact. The thickness of your gloves is a big issue, too. I have a thick, bulky pair and the heat barely gets through them, so I use my lighter gloves with a thin palm designed to work with heated grips. The top of my hands suffer for it though.

Personally, I'm fine with grips. I got a cheap pair ($45) with a hi-lo rocker and they work just fine. The coldest I've gone down to is in the area of 24F. My hands were pretty cold, but still at a usable temperature. My gloves are starting to go to poo poo, so that doesn't help much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My parents got me a pair of Alpinestars Scout WP boots for Christmas. They're even the right size :stare: