Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess

Uthor posted:

I have a "Professional Strength" aerosol glass cleaner that I use on the windshield of my car. I have a bug-splattered face shield on my helmet. Is there any danger of messing up the face shield if I use the glass cleaner on it? I could always use Windex, but this stuff is ten times better.

I've put all sorts of chemicals all over my Arai's visor, which I've had for over 2 years now. It's never seem to have had an adverse effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess
I'm looking for saddle and tail bags for my Ninja 650. I'd like something that I can keep on my bike, so it needs to be fairly sturdy and have zippers that you can lock together. Ideally hard bags like what Corbin offers would be great, but I imagine that isn't going to really be an option. There's plenty of options on newenough or other sites, but what do you guys recommend?

edit: also looking for a bike cover that will go over the entire thing for parking on my college campus. It'd also be nice to have it fit inside the tailbag.

http://www.gezagear.com/faqs.htm#faq9 These seem good, and they say it can sometimes fit under the seats, which makes it seem like it'd fit in a tailbag pretty easy. Only problem is that they're about $200, and I don't really want to invest that much.

RC212V fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 19, 2007

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess

Mapless posted:

I love Dowco's 'Fastrax' line.

Waterproof, built-in rain covers, tons of room and excellent fit and finish.

Panniers/tailbag runs around $300 and the tankbag is $130ish. Awesome stuff and built like a tank.

These look great, just what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess
I'm wanting to buy one of the those new EXO-1000 Scorpion helmets so I don't have to carry a clear visor with me everywhere, but the only place I've really seen them for sale is NewEnough.com. If I go into a store and try on the other Scorpion helmets, should the fit be the same from the 700 series?

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess

23reasons posted:

Just as a heads up, that's because they've not been released , so far as I know. They're only available for pre-order, so if you wait they might get some in stores when they are released (june I think.)

Oh, my bad. I just now checked NewEnough again and it doesn't tell you they aren't available until mid August until you try to select a size. Thanks.

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess

Mapless posted:

Are you really wanting to buy a helmet with inflatable bits?

I had kind of forgotten about that part, really. I guess it would wear out quicker than regular cheek pads, but I doubt I'll keep any one helmet longer than a few years each anyway.

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess

Doctor Zero posted:

Edit: Anyone have any suggestions for boots? I'd like some that are passable off the bike, so no power ranger looking monstrosities, please. Over the ankle, black boots that I could wear in to work is what I'm after. Joe Rocket Orbit or Big Bang boots are the idea. How's Joe Rocket gear supposed to be?

I have a pair of Sidi boots that I've been wearing to work forever. They're extremely waterproof and also pretty comfortable for a motorcycle boot. The only time I've had discomfort in them is when I got stranded and had to walk about 7 miles to get to a phone (the one time I left my cell phone at home). I've stood in puddles about 6 inches deep for a few minutes in them and stayed bone dry.

http://newenough.com/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/sport_tepor_motorcycle_boots.html
Those are a newer version of the ones I have. They're normal looking enough that they could pass as casual dress shoes.

http://newenough.com/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/escape_motorcycle_boots.html
These are a little more casual but not waterproof.

My biggest advise is to stay away from Icon. I ordered a pair and they're absolute torture. A nice waste of $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC212V
Nov 17, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess
Also, I got a Nelson Rigg tailbag recently, and I absolutely love it.

It was a lot bigger than I thought it'd be, even these pictures make it look a little small. It can fit a medium size pizza or a full face helmet. The side pockets expand to about twice their size shown here, and the bottom of the main section also unzips to make it about 6 inches taller (which is needed to fit a helmet). It sits on the bike pretty well and doesn't move around too much. It's only being held down by 4 bungee cords, two of which are wrapped together under the seat. This thing is infinitely useful and I'm very glad to not haul a backpack around all the time. The only real problem I have with it is that there's no easy way to lock the side pockets.

I also got a pitbull stand recently, which is very nice. However, I'm stupid and got plastic spools, not realizing that the right spool is located about 4 inches from the tip of my exhaust. It melted away pretty quick leaving me with a black glob.