Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A comment on textile pants: They are essentially single-use safety gear. They will protect you in a fall, but only once, then they are trash. Leather is pricier but also lasts longer. So you either pay up front for years of riding in leather, or you spend a little less for a one-time use garment. This does not factor in convenience, comfort or weather protection.

That being said, does anyone have any experience with Dainese textile pants? I got a great deal on my Dainese leather jacket a couple of years ago and something that zips to it would be nice. I'm thinking either the D-tech ones (Hooper I think) or their Gore-Tex ones if I can get a pair on clearance.
I think it's either that or Joe Rocket stuff. They started out of a shop here in Toronto so the warranty is top notch apparently... any zips, stitches, whatever that break in the first year they'll replace. Nobody distributes First Gear stuff up here and you kind of have to hunt for other manufacturers.

edit:
speaking of visors, has anyone ever used Rain-X on a visor? It says on the bottle not to use on plastics unless approved by the manufacturer, so I doubt it would do any good and would probably do alot of bad, but holy hell does it ever work like magic on my car windscreen!

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 31, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I bought a pair of Dainese Hooper textile pants the other day. I tried on some Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants too, but they just didn't fit right with my jacket which is cut a little on the short side. Plus the Hoopers zip to my jacket perfectly, all the way around. They were $100 cdn more than the Alter Egos and about $50ish more than Ballistics but they're at least that much nicer. loving Dainese, why do you have to make such nice stuff? It's like you try on some other brands and you're like "this isn't too bad" and they you decide to try on the Dainese stuff and it's like "gently caress, this is going to end up being an expensive hobby!" Anyway, the fit is excellent, they've got good armour and padding and a removable lining that should make them good for good 3 season riding. The only downside is you can only wear them over light shorts or long underwear/tights. They definitely won't fit over jeans. Maybe some lightweight khakis/dress pants without the liner but I didn't try it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

w_hat posted:

Quick question, I can't get my jacket to zip up at the writs with my gloves on as they're too bulky. Is this going to be a big problem when I crash? The gloves are properly long and fully cover my wrists.

bung posted:

Long gauntlet type gloves are meant to be worn over the sleeve.

I'm not sure how it works either... my old Teknic gloves had a full gauntlet but barely fit on the outside of the sleeve fully open (possibly not at all, I don't remember). I got a new pair of Joe Rocket gloves and they're better, I can close the velcro halfway on the outside of the sleeve, but it feels tight and more difficult to spin my wrist (left + right joystick motion). I wonder if I need big floppy-gauntlet cruiser style gloves or if my jacket is more suited/designed for short cuff under-the-sleeve style gloves.
I'll get some pictures up here at some point.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DILLIGAF posted:

I want a new helmet.

I know, goodie for me, right?

Here's the thing, I have a, well, unique bike. I want a unique helmet that will offer protection and still look cool. I am looking at full-face helmets, not faggoty spiked, chromed or german "I just rode out of a bad 70's movie" helmets.

Been looking at helmets all over the place and, to be frank, most of them are boring as hell or make you look like a power ranger on acid. I want one that is as aggressive looking as possible. A helmet that makes soccer moms lock thier mini-van doors and little children to point in awe and wonder. I want one to make the church-going squares purse thier prunish lips and shake thier pencil necked heads in disapproval. I want a helmet that is flat black or a mix of flat and gloss. I want a helmet that fits with my bike.

Any suggestions?

Shoei RF-1000 Diabolic 2 TC-5

The Joust TC-5 is also pretty awesome looking, especially in person.

or, if you really want to look tough, you could go with something like a Suomy Spec 1R "flowers"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DILLIGAF posted:

The thing is, if you strip off the pretty graphics (which I would definitely do.. ) they look basically the same. Nothing really outstanding about any of them. I have a Nolan that at least has a distinctive shape, know what I mean?

If you're looking at interesting shapes/forms then maybe check out Simpson helmets
http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/Helmets.aspx
maybe something like the Bandit series or Speedway RX

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

n8r posted:

Wouldn't the aerodynamics on a car helmet really suck?

the aerodynamics...
we're talking about DILLIGAF's bike here, I don't think aerodynamics are a deciding factor.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just ordered some AlpineStar Recon boots from NewEnough. Hopefully I got the size right because nobody around here carries them unless you want to special order them. I tried on some other AlpineStar boots in various sizes so I figure I got it right at 9 US/42 Euro. Anyone know what their return policy is regarding fit? They seem pretty accommodating and well recommended. I might need a half size bigger but I'll only know once I get them. On the major bonus side, because the exchange rate is so good right now (.91c/USD! ZOMG) it came to $175CAD shipped (I'll still have to pay Canadian taxes on it) which is substantially less than the $250 I would have to pay to special order a pair to a store here locally. I like how you can give a dollar to your favourite motorcycle web forum/community and they discount your order by $1. I gave mine to vfrdiscussion even though I'm not a member, I have used their forum for some valuable info so far!
Once I get them I'll be fully kitted out, finally, and I can bin my old workboots that I've been using.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

question about cleaning leathers: How would one go about cleaning grass stains and dirt off a leather jacket? I was thinking getting a stiff bristle or horsehair shoe-brush kind of thing and scrubbing. Are there any cleaning products to use? Water, no water? I have some leather cleaner for a non-riding leather jacket but it is a cream and I think it would make a huge mess with on a fairly well soiled jacket.
What are your experiences and advice?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

nbv4 posted:

Can someone recommend me some "regular" looking motorcycle gear? I'm looking all around the sites listed above, and all I see are either tacky looking clown suits, or something an old man would wear. I don't ride a crotch rocket, nor am I 55 years old.

Is this asking too much? I mean, I care about being safe, but why not get something you'll look good in?

I just want to be able to get on my motorcycle, ride somewhere, be able to get off and go walking around, go to a restaurant, and not look like I just stepped off a space shuttle. Is there a company out there that specializes in gear for this purpose?

Keep in mind, I'm not at all interested in going to track days, taking corners at 500 mph, popping wheelies, or anything like that. I ride a 500cc Honda cruiser from 1982.

Dainese. Italians know stylish and I can personally vouch for the quality and safety. Mine held up incredibly well when I went in a ditch recently. There stuff is a bit pricey but I think it is worth it. They do one-piece moon suits like everyone else but their street apparel is quite nice and not all flashy yellow lightning and poo poo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

So I've been puzzling and puzzing about how to clean the grass and dirt stains out of my leather jacket. I tried a horsehair brush, and while it knocked off some of the heavier stuff, it barely touched the more rubbed in dirt. On a whim I picked up a microfiber cleaning cloth from the household cleaning aisle in Crappy Tire (Hero brand, if anyone wants to know). That poo poo is nothing short of miraculous! First I just started wiping the jacket with the dry cloth and it lifted pretty much all the surface dirt and almost all the stuff that was worked into the creases and pores. The worst part was the left forearm that had some seriously ground in dirt. I just ran the cloth under the tap and wrang it out to make it damp and went over the jacket again. It is pretty much new condition now, except for a few scuffs! All the ground in dirt came out with the damp cloth. I highly recommend a microfibre cloth for cleaning your leathers. They're cheap and boy howdy do they ever work well!
Next step is some mink oil and that should be that.
Unfortunately I didn't take before or after pictures because I didn't really expect it to clean up so easily and quickly.

edit: I tried it on my textile pants too, because what the heck.
I apologize for the incredibly lovely cellphone pics, my digital camera is broken right now. This was just with the damp cloth, no detergent. The after pics are dry, not wet.
before:

after:

It is hard to tell, but those stains are ground in dirt and grass.

edit part le deux: Before I go getting all crazy with the mink oil, is there any reason not to use Kiwi brand mink oil? That's what I've got but I've read it contains silicone. It worked fine on my workboots, but should I get a "purer" mink oil for my jacket or is Kiwi fine?

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 8, 2007

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Terminus Est posted:

I don't know about Kiwi brand stuff, but Red Wing brand mink oil worked perfect on my leather jacket. I didn't have any discoloration occur and the leather felt great afterwards. Just be sure to test it beforehand.

threadshit:
The production of micro-fiber is very nasty. The plant I work at used to make micro-fiber until the EPA banned the chemical used to un-sheath it. Polyester is already nasty enough without the added process needed to remove the protective polymer coating surrounding the micro-fiber filaments. Also, all that polyester blended into clothing is primarily composed of ethylene glycol. You're wearing anti-freeze! :aaaaa:

Better than drinking it! They also hose down airplanes with it for de-icing. It makes everything sticky.
I did not know that about micro-fiber! Well it cleans leather really well. On second examination it didn't do nearly as good a job on the grass stains on the textile pants as initially thought though.
As long as Red Wing brand mink-oil contains silicone, Kiwi should be fine. I'll see if I can find out. I'll definately test in an inconspicuous place first.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Uthor posted:

stuff about his bag

that does look like a good tail bag, and the yellow works for visibility which is always good.
If it is sliding around, maybe try one of those undercarpet pads that keep your rug from sliding around.
You know, these kind of things?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ReducedFat posted:

New rider, here!

What say you all to:

Icon Accelerant Jacket
Shoei RF-1000 Helmet
Icon Accelerant Gloves

I've heard people say that the Icon stuff is a paper tiger, but all the jackets I've worn from them feel tough as nails (especially compared to the Joe Rocket stuff I was set on before). Anybody see any problems with this list?

I've got a Shoei RF-900. It is a very nice helmet, and the RF-1000 is even nicer with the removable padding. For me it wasn't a matter of "must get a Shoei", I tried on Arais, HJCs, either a Shark or Suomy (I got my helmet before those were really carried up here) and it just turned out the RF is what fits my head the best. Plus mine has a bad-rear end dragon on it :). I've read complaints that the RF line is a fairly noisy helmet for some people and for me I do find the wind noise to be annoying after a while. I don't know how noisy it is compared to other helmets though. I'm going to start riding with earplugs at some point though so that solves that problem.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Sounds like they're designed to fit IN the boots. Thanks. That helps quite a bit. I want to get some myself.

Edit: Anyone have any suggestions for boots? I'd like some that are passable off the bike, so no power ranger looking monstrosities, please. Over the ankle, black boots that I could wear in to work is what I'm after. Joe Rocket Orbit or Big Bang boots are the idea. How's Joe Rocket gear supposed to be?

I really like my AlpineStars Recon boots.
http://newenough.com/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/alpinestars/black_label_recon_motorcycle_boots.html
Haven't worn them in the rain but they're supposed to be waterproof. They're pretty comfortable and I've even worn them to walk to the store (needed something with ankle support to walk to the pharmacy to get an ankle brace for my sprained ankle). They look fine under jeans.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

with regards to glasses/sunglasses when riding, I don't see a problem even if there is a minor risk of damage. I ride with sunglasses when I wear my contacts because I haven't bought a tinted visor yet, but often I will ride with just my prescription glasses for any number of reasons. If I had a tinted visor, I would ride almost exclusively with my prescription glasses. Some people commute without riding pants, some people wear glasses. If a foreign object is hitting you with enough force to shatter both your visor and your sunglasses, your flimsy eyelids aren't going to offer enough resistance to prevent it from burying itself in the back of your brain. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are I guess you'll have to spring for laser surgery. I hope to get some of that done in the near future but more for convenience than anything else.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My leather jacket isn't vented and came with a zip-in quilted lining. That combined with a long sleeve shirt and undershirt have kept me warm in sub 10oC weather. Layering is more important than the shell I think.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I picked up one of these last week

(yes, a muscular black man in tight leather pants)
Dainese Wave back protector. I've been thinking about a back protector for some time, even more after my "off" where I bruised my back quite close to a vertebrae on a rock. Of course now that I have it I'll probably never land on my back again :). Still, it's good piece of mind and pretty serious protection. Aluminum honeycomb and tough impact resistant plastic plus it seems quite breathable. I can use it for snowboarding too, which will make me feel a little better about carrying snowshoes on my back as well as hitting some rockier areas.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Trintintin posted:

This may be off topic, but how in the hell do you upshift in sandals. I've ridden in tennis shoes before and shifting was loving horrible after using riding boots only.

if I had to guess I'd say hook your big toe over the shifter and use the flop to lift the lever.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dean! posted:

Can anyone recommend some noise canceling earphones? Here is what I am looking at so far:

* Etymotic Research Isolator Earphones - $90

* Sennheiser CX300 - $60

Does anyone have any experience with these? Do you know of something better?

I have a set of CX300s and they work fine for ipod use under a helmet as they sit very flush with the ear. They block outside sound rather well and act almost like an earplug. My only caveat, and it has as much to do with head/ear shape as helmet snugness, is that they will pull out of my ear a bit even if I'm very careful when putting my helmet on (Shoei RF-900). I fixed this by just putting some athletic tape over my ear with them in and it didn't affect comfort at all (until I had to pull the tape off ;)). I prefer the sound quality to the base model Shure (e2c?), the bass is better represented whereas I found the Shures to be to bassy/midbassy and sounded "boosted" while the Sennheisers sounded more natural.
I haven't used the Etymotic ones but they look pretty small, which is good.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I went on a fairly long ride yesterday wearing my Dainese Wave 2 back protector () for the first time. It is actually quite comfortable. The times I noticed it it just felt like I was wearing a backpack (and since I was also wearing a backpack, albeit almost empty, that might have accounted for it too). What I found quite nice about it is it acts almost like a backrest, supporting your back in various positions. If you lean back into it it's like a springy chair, and if you're leaning forward into the wind it helps keep your posture. A side benefit to the protection. It was quite cool when I was out, so it remains to be seen how comfortable it is in the hot summer. You do feel the front strap belly strap, but it isn't uncomfortable as it is quite wide.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm in no need of a new helmet, but goddamn I love this Arai design!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Oakley should make motorcycle helmet visors.

Anyone have any experience with Marushin helmets? There's a couple of fine looking ones that are half the price of the Shoei I want and get the same SHARP ratings as well as weighing ~400 grams less. Obviously I'll test fit them because so far only one helmet actually fits me (XR1100, Large). Any obvious reasons to avoid? Bits falling off? Horrible fogging problems? (can't be worse than my current lid).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

could you imagine wiping out wearing that, the paramedics cracking batman jokes all the way to the hospital?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Anyone heard of or had experience with a brand called VEGA?

I was in a dealership today and they had this helmet (solid color)
http://www.vegahelmet.com/v-tune.html
on sale for like $170 or something. The features I was interested in were the flip down the visor and built in bluetooth.

I'm going to assume no one has, but if you have, let me know!

nope, sorry. You heard of Marushin?
http://www.helmetsuperstore.co.uk/Marushin-RS2-Carbon_AR5X6~0.aspx
http://www.helmetsuperstore.co.uk/Marushin-999RS-Start-Up-Yellow_AR5XD~0.aspx

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I had a tank bag for my old bike. I have to say I'm not a fan. It was too big and awkward, blocked my gauges, got in the way of my chest and arms when tucking. Maybe it was just the bag, but I wouldn't get another one.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

redscare posted:

I do this about half the time. The other half, I just throw the right leg over the seat and kinda hop on. I almost always get off by stepping on the peg though.

Anyway, speaking of gear, I picked up one of those Alpinestars T-Stunt 2 bikebandit was fireselling along with some Fieldsheer overpants because I'm tired of wearing gimp pants in to work all the time when I ride in. I'm starting to accumulate too much gear.

On what kind of bike? Might have been too big for what you had.

'93 VFR, yeah the bag was definitely too big, it was semi hard too so it wouldn't collapse. I got it at a clearance sale for cheap, but it still wasn't worth it. I think I used it maybe twice.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

They pass safety standards. Although as Endless Mike says, there are stories of the faces flipping up in a crash. I don't see how they could be less safe than a 3/4 helmet, however.

One tip though - If you feel like the helmet fits you - it's too large. A helmet should feel like it's squashing your head for the first week or two because the padding compresses a little and if it fits you perfect at first, in a couple weeks it will be too loose and flop around. You shouldn't be able to get a finger between your head and the padding. Hopefully someone at the store will be knowledgeable enough to help you with fitting.

Squashing your cheeks, not your head. If the padding is so compressed that you've got pressure/hot points it probably doesn't fit right.

re: flip-up helmets: I mainly see them used for urban riders and couriers where you're mainly filtering at <30mph between stoplights or getting on and off your bike all day. Visibility and airflow are higher priority I guess.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 4, 2010

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

it's not the cop you'd have to worry about, I doubt most cops would notice. It's the insurance adjuster who's going to deny any head injury claims because your helmet isn't approved for use in that country that I'd be worried about.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Another option for earbuds with decent sound quality and very good noise isolation are sennheiser cx270s. They sit very flush with the ear and some days I can even pull my helmet on over them first try without one dragging out.

I too am searching for the perfect riding pant and I don't think it exists. Draggin jeans and the like seem a bit dubious. There's some nice looking dainese ones for decent prices but I'm not sure how much protection they offer. The CE armour in my current Dainese pants is great but it's very bulky. Has that company with the magic orange stuff put out any proper motorcycle armour yet?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

my drat zip is busted on my jacket. The teeth don't mesh together, they just sort of go on top of eachother. I think it needs a new zip. Can you average alterations/mending place fit a new zip to a leather motorcycle jacket? Or am I going to need a specialist? I'm in London if anyone has any recommendations. I found a place in Cambridge but that's a bit out of the way to get a zip fitted.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PlasticSun posted:

For the pants I'd say get overpants with a proper full length zipper. My gf has the TPG Escape overpants and while they are awesomely well built she finds them hard to put on wearing boots.

sorry ;)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

AncientTV posted:

The one huge advantage to full boots is the limited range of motion it provides your ankle. Wearing a normal pair of shoes, or in this case short boots, your foot can still rotate forward as if you were barefoot. This could cause big, painful problems in an accident. Since full boots are basically a shell halfway up your shin, your foot can't be shoved in that direction.

Sure, they're a bit clunky, but feel like your feet are drat near invincible in a good pair of full boots.

edit for clarity. Unless there's some crash studies out there on the merits of plastic bits and shiny logos on your boots, my gut instinct is that any impact strong enough to damage your ankle will damage it regardless what kind of boot you want to wear. It just comes down to style and personal preference.
You wear a boot rather than a shoe because it won't come off in a crash. A stiff boot won't prevent an ankle injury.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I bring my helmet inside when I park at work. If it's just a short stop for food or a wander around or whatever, I keep a cable lock coiled up the trunk under my seat and use that to lock the helmet to the bike. I have locked my bike pants to the bike before with the same lock, but it's a pain. Jacket I don't mind walking around in, it's comfortable enough plus you look like a cool dude in a motorcycle jacket (with your helmet hair). It's the pants that make you look like a knob.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rello posted:

Hey, I am going to be taking a Canadian equivalent of the MSF (http://www.canmocycle.ca/content_fr...=rider_training) in the summer most likely, however the course requires us to bring all the gear (Applicants must provide their own street legal helmet, leather gloves, leather or jean jacket, pants and above the ankle footwear. Note: running shoes are NOT acceptable.).

This means i have to buy it all, but I am a little bit reluctant to do this as I don't want to drop $410(course cost) + $300~ on something i might not pursue. Is there anyway I can get a full set of gear on the cheap somewhere? (sub $150, used is fine).

Thanks.

Parker Bros in Toronto used to loan gear for courses. Don't know if they still do but it's worth giving them a call, if they don't they should be able to tell you if anyone else does.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ok well I stand loving corrected! Power Ranger Boots GO!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I have the Icon Super Duty 3 boots (am wearing them right now in fact) and I can confirm they are comfortable for all day wearing and walking. I'd imagine the two you linked would be the same.

ooh I like the brown ones.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Mostly it's just smaller sizes (And I wonder if the shape them differently for having more hair?). Lighter isn't a bad thing, that's the major selling point of most of the Arai and Shoei helmets, superb protection without a lot of weight.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-weights.htm
not much in it but a few grams.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 20, 2010

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Not for me they didn't. After a day of solid, heavy rain, they were completely soaked through. I could even water water collect on the outside of the rain cover things, and then slowly seep through. The covers probably work well enough for a mild shower, but they're still a textile material and any water that pools on them will eventually soak through.

In the glove's defence, very little outside of solid rubber overgloves actually fits my definition of "Waterproof". To me, "Waterproof" means that you can dunk your hands into a bucket of water for 8 hours, and the gloves still won't even be damp when you take 'em out.

just get gore-tex gloves. I use my snowboarding gloves in the winter and while the outside fabric gets wet, they stay toasty and dry on the inside.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ghostpilots posted:

:words:

Buy a jacket that fits well, has good protection, and looks nice, then augment it with seasonal gear as appropriate. Rain suit for rainy season, liner (should come with this anyway) and heated vest for winter. Don't do the zip all the way up/open any vent panels in summer. I ride in the same temperature range as you're saying (I know Calgary get a hell of a lot colder than -1C/30F so I assume you aren't going to be riding in the dead of winter) and have a non-perforated Dainese leather jacket with a high collar and zip out quilted liner and that's fine for all the riding I do. A bit cold for winter, but I might grab a heated vest this year (said that last year) to help with winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

new boots!:

(stock image because I don't think you need to see a picture of them on my feet sitting around in my gitch)

I tried everything in the shop, A*, Sidi, Frank Thomas, Dainese... the Daytonas I tried trump them all in comfort by a country mile. Not cheap, but they're made with Superior German Adhesives, and you can send them back to the factory to get more of it applied if you damage them.

new helmet and gloves should arrive in a few days.