Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

So i signed up for the MSF course for Feb 17th and they said to bring gloves/boots among a few other things. My friend is gonna let met borrow his gloves so now I just need to worry about ankle boots.

Are their any decently cheap racing boots? I like these for $100: http://www.alpinestars.com/2010_Tech_1K_Shoe/pd/c/220/np/220/p/271209.html but of course they don't have my size and I live in a small town so I'd have to drive ~hour to a bigger city to shop for motorcycle gear. I'd prefer not to go to Walmart and spend $30 on something I'd just wear for the MSF course and never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Gweenz posted:

I wouldn't bother with motorcycle "shoes". The AXO Primato II's are a good entry level boot for around $150. Oxtar/TCS also makes an entry level boot for around $170. Alpinestars/Sidi/Spidi boots start at around $200. I wear Sidi Strada Airs and love them. You don't need a full featured race boot for normal riding, but a full length boot is very important for keeping your ankles in place during a crash.

I currently go to college so I wanted something I could wear from the parking lot to class and back and were comfortable enough for that.

I just got back from a local shop that doesn't have shoes to try on but they can order through a catalog. He mentioned full-on race boots have little traction are somewhat slippery for walking around, so he pointed me towards the lower-cut ankle boots that are more "casual".

He had these which I was also interested in.

edit: After some thought and reading around, I think I'll just drive to a larger city and try on full-length boots and find a pair that will look fine under jeans.

kloa fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 29, 2011

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Lord Master posted:

I followed the advice of a goon. Go to said WalMart, buy said $30 boots. Wear them for MSF and then take advantage of WalMart's generous return policy.

Alright, sounds like a plan.

I'm already getting antsy and wanting to buy a bike asap but I must force myself to wait (and convince my parents to add a motorcycle to their insurance plan). I'm 22 with a clean record and the "good student discount", so I am hoping insurance won't be too ridiculous.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Has anyone ridden with the TCX X-Street shoes? I have a pair of Sidis for longer/weekend rides but I want something I can wear at work when I ride to work on Fridays.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

My current helmet is an XXL Scorpion EXO-700 that I bought a few years back. It's not a bad helmet at all, especially in the South with all of it's ventilation going on.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

nsaP posted:

I have to crack my Scorpion always.

This. I leave it cracked unless I'm doing over 50.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

More breathing room = less fogging.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I thought an 8L tank bag would have been larger :v:

e: it's plenty big for what I would want to carry, it just looks tiny on the bike.

kloa fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 28, 2017

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Is there such thing as a helmet that’s quiet enough to not require ear plugs? I thought I remember someone saying one of the Shoei or Arai helmets seal really well, and was nice and quiet.

I don’t mind them for longer rides, but if I’m running errands in town and constantly have my helmet off and on it’s kinda annoying.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Having a welding insta-darken shield would be cool as heck. I’m imagining your visor flashing constantly as you drive down the road :coal:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I’ve got nothing but good things to say about the Cardo Packtalk Bold JBL speakers. Crystal clear even at hwy speeds through earplugs, and from what I know you can pair with a Sena if you’re not planning on riding in a group.

:same:

Just bought a double pack last week for me and my brother and it’s good.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

How much paint cracking is too much on EPS foam in helmets?

Mine is apparently quite old, so I’m trying to figure out if it’s time for a new :catdrugs: helmet or not. Plus getting something that’s ECE and has an internal visor would be dope. I got caught coming back late recently and a smoke visor at night isn’t fun.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Well, everything I was reading about helmet lifespan mentioned the 5 years of life said something about the EPS foam degrading/hardening and becoming brittle, and to check if the black paint on the foam was coming off or not. Maybe some bicycle stuff was getting mixed in with my motorcycle helmet search :shrug:

I just noticed some cracking on what I thought was the EPS part below, meaning it's shrinking and hardening.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

the op should honestly just be every FortNine video hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Icon has one on their website, but have yet to see it appear on RevZilla yet :shrug: