Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
I'm going to be purchasing my first set of gear in the next couple months to get ready for riding this summer. Summer out here in Arizona however is an average of 100-105 degrees, so its gonna be hot. For that reason I'm looking at all-mesh jackets. My first choice was the Icon Hooligan Mesh Jacket but I'm getting the feeling that Icon jackets aren't gonna help me much when I fall. Anyone have any experience with mesh Icon jackets? My second choice of jackets was the Joe Rocket UFO Mesh Jacket, which is similar to the Phoenix 4.0 Jacket but I like the styling on this one more. I've heard good things about these Joe Rocket/Phoenix jackets.

Gloves, I'm getting gloves too. Something like these Joe Rocket Atomic 2.0 Perforated Gloves perhaps? Or maybe these Cortech Accelerator Gloves? They are about $20 different, is there a whole lot of difference between them?

I'm also looking for a backpack to carry my crap while I'm riding. The only requirements I have are that it has some sort of padded laptop area, and possibly helmet storage. Newenough rants and raves about the Icon Squad Backpack, but the Firstgear Helmet Backpack also seems to be a decent backpack as well. Anyone have either one?

As for helmets I'm pretty sold on the Scorpion EXO-700. Its DOT and SNELL certified, and I've heard of people who ride with them who say they're great. I've just got to find a local shop to try one on at and if it all fits nicely I'll pick it up.

All and all its going to certainly be an expensive venture, I'll be laying down $400-$500 just for the first bit of equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
I'm just beginning to consider kicking around getting a new bike and/or gear once fall rolls around. I already have a mesh jacket, and I was thinking about getting some sort of perforated leather jacket, or a textile/leather jacket. I live in Arizona, so the summers see 105+ degrees outside easy. The rest of the year is generally pretty nice, so I think a perf'd leather jacket would be a good addition to my closet.

I just happened to stumble upon "Rev'It"'s site and I must say, all their protective apparel, style-wise, seems very attractive to me. I really enjoy the looks of their Replica Leather Jacket, and their GT leather jacket. They're both kinda pricy ($400-$500). However, I know nothing about their reliability and durability. They aren't listed in the OP under brands, anyone know what I can expect from Rev'It products?

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

TLG James posted:

How effective are those Mesh Jackets on new enough at keeping you cool?

I have a mesh jacket I use for riding in the summer, and its certainly breatheable, but I wouldn't say that it "keeps you cool". Its still hot, but its faaaaaar better than anything else I've tried while still being bearable.