Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

I'm probably going to order Sena SMH10R bluetooth today (well, this evening). Does anyone have complaints/cautions for that particular model? I don't really care about the smaller battery - the talk time and such seems fine for me.

I have a 10r. It works well for music and nav, which was exactly what I wanted. Phone loves either in a pocket or on a RAM mount if I want to see/use it.

Like others mentioned I have no idea how to do more advanced things it is supposedly very good at- it needs some button holding for certain time and other stuff that needs manual reading and practice to get good at. Once I was able to get it to change music playlists using voice.

The buttons can be hard to use and differentiate if you are using some thicker winter gloves.

Play with the placement (ideally sitting on your bike) before committing to the super sticky pad- I wish I had mounted button unit a bit more forward on my helmet.

Battery life seems fine for commuting type stuff or longer weekend rides.

Edit- the speakers sound better when I'm wearing earplugs. Makes the bass richer or balances out the treble or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

Keystoned posted:

Someone posted a few pages back about the sema SMH10R and Im considering getting either it or the older SMH10. The reviews ive read seem to point me towards the SMH10 as being simpler to install and use so Im curious if anyone has any experience with these two units.

Also the R has an external battery that mounts to the back of the helmet while the regular 10 doesnt. I guess its an internal battery that charges directly through the control unit?

I've got an SMH10R. It is awesome. Seriously makes me want to look at the 10C which has the camera built in.

I use it for music and podcasts, and for google maps navigation, all from the phone while commuting. I usually get ~8 hours of music before it needs a charge. Charging is easy with a micro USB. Read the manual to learn all the controls.

Only difficulty has been feeling the buttons if you are wearing thick winter gloves. The jog dial on the non R might make this easier? No idea.

I can't compare it to the full SMH, but I'd assume it's equally good.

Here is a nice comparison chart:
http://www.revzilla.com/assets/0000/8432/sena_smh5_bluetooth_headset_dual_pack_wired_mic.pdf

Big difference besides the physical profile seems to be an aux input, clamp vs adhesive, and the battery life.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

I need new gloves. I've got super warm gloves for winter weather, but lost one of my summer gloves. So I guess I need mid-warmth gloves for the pacific northwest for spring/summer/fall.

Any recommendations? I do street riding, and would like something that still gives me some control. Nothing with inner liners or anything, I've got warm gloves for that.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-dominator-gtx-gloves

These have suited me well for the chilly mornings/evenings in the PNW and are waterproof more or less. Shorter cuff but a solid retention system. Has a liner but I hardly notice it. I'm a Revit fan when it comes to gloves. Have a few different ones. These are p great for fall/spring/rain.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

:goatdrugs: :perfect: :goatdrugs:

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Any suggestions on a good dirt/enduro boot?

Did my first trail ride and used my beefiest sport touring boots and it worked, but didn’t seem super safe.

No huge budget restriction, but ideally it’d be some unicorn boot that is protective, but not horrible to walk on or wear all day.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
I have a set of the klim jeans in a 34x32. They fit horribly and are indeed dadly in cut. Materials are nice, but fit is poor.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
I just picked up an Aerostich on sale at one of their pop up events :shepspends:. I just moved to Seattle and am doing a moto only commute. I had been searching for a used one but hadn’t had much luck.

Having used it for a week it’s great at wet and not-hot commuting. I can see how miserable it would be at slow speeds in high temps.

Very easy to get in/out of so I don’t have to change clothes or wear moto specific stuff that’s isn’t comfortable or “office wear”. I keep normal shoes at work. Suit zips off, gets hung up and normal shoes go on and I’m done. 30 seconds.

I bought a yellow r-3 with grey panels. The suit fits well, and the armor seems good. It’s a bulky package, but super convenient overall. The high viz is nerdy, but having ridden lots with and without high viz gear, it does work- and I’ll take any advantage for the Seattle drivers.

For dual sport and shorter trip stuff I have lighter more modular gear, including some Klim stuff.

I’m in my mid thirties, but have a beard that’s grey-ing and mostly ride my R1200R. I bought a highviz Aerostich.... am I becoming one of those now??? :wal::negative:

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

Horse Clocks posted:

- a 1pc commuter suit like the Klim Hardanger.

Klim stuff is good, but I think Aerostich has the commuter onesie more or less nailed down. They offer much more flexible sizing than Klim for a comprable price.

I use an r3 for commuting and its the bees’ knees. I wear office clothes underneath and change into normal shoes. Keeps me warm and dry in Seattle weather.

Included are two secret powers: turns any bike into a dad bike and makes cops ignore you.

They can be found used on CL and advrider.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Have a tall-ish strong ladder? I’ve seen people hold front and rears of bikes up by using a ladder framed over the bike and lifting it up, pulling down on the center of the ladder step with ratchet straps or something similar.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Looking for some summer gloves suggestions. Use will be touring, commuting and adv/dual sport type stuff. Have other waterproof gloves so no need for that. Currently own and enjoy Held (air and dry) and Revvit (dominator) gloves.

Anyone own the sand3/dirt3/cayenne pro gloves?

Held Sambia or airstream?

Any others to consider?

With summer gloves would it be better to buy cheap gloves multiple times or a more premium one once? Willing to spend $200 but closer to $100 would be great.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Is there such a thing as a kevlar/textile armoured coverall? Not like a race suit or an adventure survival drysuit or anything, just like overalls to throw on over street clothes that have abrasion resistance and elbow/knee/hip/shoulder armour?

Aerostich? R-3 Light sounds like what you’re describing. I have a normal R3 and for commuting, touring and power ranger cosplay it owns.

There’s other options too: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-riding-suits

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

right arm posted:

if I were in your shoes (gloves) I would just buy the revit sand 3 gloves and save yourself $80 or w/e.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Went to a local shop (triumph of Seattle- has a great and surprisingly fair priced gear selection) and tried on a few gloves.

Ended up going with a Sand 3. The cayennes were nice, but definitely didn’t seem like they’d flow as much air. From the size chart I was a Large, but the XL fit way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

TheBacon posted:

I have not, but I am uh, not small. I could see how that would work though and maybe try it, would be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying stuff, less serotonin hit though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZYHdAVQekU

Brett Tcaks (another good, and not bad, Moto channel) has a good video.

Mount/dismount by standing on pegs is the best way if you’ve got bags or a box. My Africa twin is wide as hell with the boxes on it, and even more so with a duffel bag strapped on.