Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Has anyone seen the new BMW neck brace? I just read about it on autoblog and engadget.

quote:

Introduced in November of last year, this safety-minded technology utilizes Kevlar, carbon fiber, and padded foam to create a plate that sits between a rider's shoulders and any helmet in order to "provide optimum protection for the spine during an accident." Due to the materials used in construction, the contraption is both lightweight and rigid, and two side clasps enable rides to easily strap it on similar to a collar. The idea is of course to stop the head from moving too far in any direction whilst in a collision, but the team does state that "the rider is also able to retain freedom of movement needed when driving."

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/09/bmw-motorrad-intros-neck-brake-system-for-motorcyclists/

It looks ridiculous but it's shown to really help the looks wouldn't stop me from using one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Someone finally crash tested an inflatable jacket.

quote:

Joseph McPhatter, of Randallstown, was injured in a crash on Interstate 83 after being cut off by another motorist in September. According to police, McPhatter was ejected 100 feet, hitting the ground at an impact rate of 140 mph.

Police said that McPhatter might have been severely injured had it not been for the Impact Jacket he was wearing -- a jacket that inflates like an air bag when a motorcyclist is in an wreck.

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/14328936/detail.html

https://www.impactjackets.com

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I use a hardshell backpack designed for motorcycling because I'm worried about hammering my spine if I carry hard objects in a soft backpack and crash. I use a Shook Design Speed Pac but it's really small. There must be a better designed hardpack out there.

Edit: A quick google search shows me that Axio also makes hardpacks for motorcycling.
http://www.axio-usa.com/
Note that the hardpack itself may constitute a risk in a crash which I why I prefer those specifically designed for motorcycling.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 28, 2007

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Do not buy helmets made by Advanced Carbon Composites. They made several helmets that they claimed met DOT requirement but failed to meet requirements. They then recalled and "fixed" the helmets as well as design a new helmet but the "fixed" and the new design all failed as well. They have now entered into a consent decree that bars them from ever making helmets ever again.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/28/motorcycle-helmet-maker-forced-to-end-production/

Here is their site:

http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/

They appear to have removed all the motorcycle helmets from the site and only show kayak helmets now.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 29, 2010

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Just got my new Arai Corsair V in Aluminum Silver to replace my old Arai RX-7RR4. I'm psyched. I just wished they'd kept the old round oval of the RR4 or the Quantum instead of moving to the intermediate oval (though the Corsair V is supposed to be a bit rounder intermediate oval that other previous intermediates.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I'm currently shopping for a set of leathers and I was wondering if anyone had any fit advice for a short stocky guy. I don't understand euro sizing at all. I wear a size 34 in pants but when I tried on a set of Alpinestars leather pants in Italian/Euro size 52 the waist was fine but the thigh were comically tight and I could not even attempt to zip down the calf zippers.

My waist size is a true 35 inches (though my pants size is 34) and my chest is 46 inches measured (though I tend to wear size 44-45 suit jackets) so I have a 10-11 inch drop. The real problem is the shortness and thickness of my legs. My inseam is 30 inches but my calves are 19 inches around and thighs are 26 inches around. (5'8" and 210 lbs). Are there any leathers that could conceivably fit me off the shelf or am I doomed to pay to get custom leathers made by Vanson or Dainese Fitnet. Does anyone make leathers in short sizes? I know both Aerostitch, Joe Rocket and others make off the shelf textile suits in short sizes. I have a textile Joe Rocket Survivor Suit in XL-Short on order (42-44 chest, 34-36 waist and 30.5 inch inseam) Please let it fit! But I can't find off the shelf leathers that would fit my chest and waist and especially my legs in short inseam sizes. Does anyone know of any?

I haven't needed racing leathers until now because I only street ride and thus can find more stuff to fit when I trade off for less protection but now I want to start doing track days so I need leathers.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 17, 2010

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Just got my Joe Rocket Survivor Suit, a textile one piece suit in XL Short. It fits very well so I am impressed so far: CE armor, lots of convenient pockets/pouches, surprisingly easy to move around in, zip in insulation layer. Not sure if I'm sold on the big air ventilation system but I'm going to use it riding this weekend and report back.

Also thanks for the link on the A* closeouts Z3n Good prices on some nice looking jackets.

Here is a video that the motorcycle superstore made about the suit:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/Video.aspx?I=24332-Survivor-Suit&V=10_JoeRocket_Survivor_Suit.flv

Yuns fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 18, 2010

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

News article highlighting one less typical reason you might want to alway wear a helmet.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/15127429/maury-county-man-survives-crushing-blow?hpt=us_bn5

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

OSU_Matthew posted:

Got stuck in broiling hot traffic yesterday and as I was sitting there, I began to hear the sweet siren's call of the squid. Please CA, help me resist hurtling towards my death in shorts, flip flops, and a sideways baseball cap :ohdear:

I'm one of them poors, so would something like this Xelement Jacket be adequate for 90 degree, 90% humidity weather?
You may also want to consider Rev'It for reasonably priced hot weather gear. My Rev'It Airwave jacket and pants were fine in 85 degree weather today and should be good for much higher. I know they have mixed reviews for durability on advrider and I also know that the Rev'It Sand line has not tested very well in RiDE for abrasion protection so keep that in mind.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 4, 2014

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I just picked up an Arai RX-Q for $359.99 shipped on closeout. I just wanted to point that out if anyone else is interested in a good deal on the RX-Q. There is only one graphic available at that price and I'm not sure the manufacture date.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/47598/i/arai-rx-q-vibe-helmet

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Kaliber posted:

Got a pair of the Rev'it Lombard jeans. Do not buy it if you lift (And actually do legs) or overweight. Because those things are loving as tight as Levi 511s. I can barely squeeze my legs into it and the waist is about 3 sizes too big.
What circumference are your legs and what size jeans did you buy? I find that the Rev'It pants fit me fine. I'm 5'8" and a lean 171. My waist is 32" and thighs are 23" and the medium Rev'It Airwave fit me well. I believe that the medium could fit a 24" thigh pretty well and get snug around 25" and I have to cinch the waist in all the way with the straps.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I wanted to give a quick recommendation to those with wide feet. I have US 9.5 size feet but they are 3E/4E width. I had to get custom boots made by ZCustom years ago since almost no one had race style boots in wide widths. I still use them but they are 14 years old now and I wanted to replace them with something with more modern protection. So I got a pair of Sidi Vertigo Rain in their Mega (2E width) sizes in EU 44 (US 10). They fit me extremely well. I always figured that I'd never be able to fit into euro race boots since they all seem to be for those with dainty narrow feet but thankfully Sidi has wide widths. I recommend trying out the Sidi Vertigo Mega to anyone else unable to fit into most race boots.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I just ordered a Kriega R35 since I'm commuting to work now and need to be able to carry gym clothes, work papers and extra stuff. The Ogio looked really good and seemed to be really great for organization but the fact that it is semirigid and thus harder to fill to capacity was an issue for me.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

predictive posted:

Bought some Sedici gloves and they started coming apart in two days. Returned and got some Alpinestars gloves instead, hopefully they're better quality.
I've been riding with the same Alpinestars GP Plus for 14 years.and even though the black dye is now faded a bit, the gloves and stitching have held up great.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Just a reminder to always check the manufacture date of a helmet when you buy it.

I special ordered a new Arai Corsair from my local shop and picked it up fresh from delivery from the distributor new-in-box. Got home and checked the D ring. Manufacture date 11/08. Returned it immediately. It's not my local shop's fault and they've been totally awesome in helping me get a new helmet but the distributor is shady as hell sending out a 6+ year old helmet as new. Now I have to wait a week more for my new helmet.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Sidi make the Vertigo and the Way in their Mega sizes (EE width). What size feet do you have? I have a pair of Sidi Vertigo Mega in size 10 (44) that are too big for me.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

astrollinthepork posted:

10.5 so 44-45. The Cobras I have are 45 so a 44 wide may be perfect. Are they the rain version? That's all I see when I google Vertigo Mega.
The Vertigo Mega are all rain versions but they are fine in dry weather too. I tried to sell them in the other thread but had no takers so they're yours for the cost of shipping if you want them.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I occasionally get fogging in my Arai depending on temperature. I used to deal with it by just cracking my helmet open but I've now gone to the Max Vision pinlock shield which seems to work really well.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Not sure if this has been posted yet but I'm super excited that Arai has their new versions of the Quantum X and Signet X coming out. I was worried that they would eventually move all their helmets to Intermediate Oval since the Corsair V and Corsair X and RX-Q and Defiant are all IO fit. But the Quantum X returns to Round Oval fit and Signet X is Long Oval fit so those with rounder heads or longer heads won't have to compromise. I don't know why other helmet manufacturers don't offer multiple fits like Arai. Both IO and RO Arai work for me and I have tried so many other helmets but none fit as well for me.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I tried on the new Arai Quantum X round oval today at Cycle Gear. The opening is now smaller so it takes a bit more effort to get your head in the helmet vs the older helmets but the fit once on is amazing. I'm very comfortable in an intermediate oval of my Corsair V and thought it was close to perfect (in fact I was going to order a Corsair X) but the Quantum X is even better for me. Just absolutely no uneven pressure anywhere. Absolutely perfect for my round head. I wish they made the Corsair in this fit but it looks like I'm ordering the Quantum X. If you have a round head check out the Quantum X. The Quantum X can also be made to be more of an Intermediate Oval by changing pads.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 16, 2016

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I updated some gear this week.

I know people are not fans of the street style riding shoes but I have to say that my new TCX Jupiter 4 Gore-Tex are awesome for those days I don't want to wear my Sidi race boots. There's obviously a safety trade off but the Jupiter have some CE certified padding. They are Gore-Tex and are also incredibly comfortable. The shoes have traditional lacing with a velcro strap on top. The width are like a D but stretch enough to accommodate my 9.5 4E feet in a size 43. The width is not a traditional Italian fit and much more an American fit.

http://www.tcxboots.com/eng/prodotti-dettaglio_24-7.php?prodotto=247

I also got the Alpinestars Patron Gore-Tex gloves to go with them. I'm a year round commuter and having waterproof non-insulated gloves is going to be a huge improvement for me given how much I ride in the rain. They are a bit warm so I wouldn't wear them on the hottest days.

https://www.alpinestars.com/products/road/gloves/patron-gore-tex-glove-fa18

I also preordered the Arai Corsair X in the Spencer 40th anniversary colors. Not fancy but I love the candy apple red on white. Here's Freddie wearing it:
https://twitter.com/freddiespencer/status/977901229429968897

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

TheRealMcFoy posted:

I'm looking to get some good motorcycle boots, but I have weird hobbit feet. Like, I wear a 9 EEE. Most manufacturers I've looked at only have motorcycle boots in normal sizes, what companies make a wide?
I wear 9.5 4E. Almost no companies make a wide. The Sidi Vertigo Mega are awesome wide boots and you can still find some online. I wear a 43 in the Mega sizes. "Mega" indicates a Sidi wide size.

For street style riding shoes, I have to say that my new TCX Jupiter 4 Gore-Tex are awesome for those days I don't want to wear my Sidi race boots. The shoes have traditional lacing with a velcro strap on top. The width are like a D but stretch enough to accommodate my 9.5 4E feet in a size 43. The width is not a traditional Italian fit and much more an American fit.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

PolishHero posted:

Sounds like I'll stick with my 20S if the 30k is a big pile of garbage.

I can't say that I've ever had issues with losing intercom or requiring reboots with the 20S, but the range is nowhere near their claims. It might work for 300 yards with a clear line of sight, and immediately eats poo poo when something is in between, even a single building, or some trees. I haven't ever used it in a downpour.
I'm a big fan of my 20S too. I have no issues with it but was pondering the upgrade. I'm glad I didn't.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I know it's stupid but the other day in the northeast I had to ride to a business meeting. It was in the 20s and I had to wear a suit so I ended up wearing a Canada Goose jacket. Wouldn't want to test it for abrasion or impact protection but drat if it wasn't warm.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I lost a ton of weight and am very lean now so I can fit into euro sizes 48 (38"-40") top and 44 bottom (28"-30") so I've been replacing my gear which I've been doing through clearances and buying used stuff. But I also have a bunch of old gear now that doesn't fit me. Anyone interested in a Dainese D-Frame jacket in Euro 60 (46.5"-48"+ chest) or a Joe Rocket Survivor textile suit in XL short or an old Joe Rocket ballistic mesh jacket in XL Also have some Draggin Jeans in 40x30 and Rocket Jeans in 34 Short. I should have some other Alpinestars and BMW stuff as well but I think I lost it in a move. Not looking to make any money but just clearing it out for anyone who wants it. I just need shipping and any additional nominal low price you're willing to contribute.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

A MIRACLE posted:

not my size but how did you like the Survivor one piece? Also looking at the much more expensive Klim Hardanger
It was really good considering the price but clearly well below Klim, Roadcrafter and the like in quality. The Survivor is cut pretty generously for American physiques and so is a bit baggy in the larger sizes but has snaps and velcro tabs to tighten it up. It has a nice warm zip in liner for cooler weather and is ok in warmer weather with vents open and liner out. I ride in inclement weather all the time but somehow wearing the Survivor somehow always guaranteed hot dry weather so I never got a chance to ride it in the rain.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I love TCX because they have enough give to fit my wide rear end feet although they are not technically wide sizes now that the Sidi Mega lines are not available. I have the Jupiter 4 Goretex for rainy city days and the Metropolitan in case I need to go straight into a work meeting. I have the Sidi Vertigo Mega for a more racing oriented boot.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I ride year round (even winter so long as the ground is clear enough) with glasses and honestly I just end up cracking the visor. At it's worst, I'll crack the visor and look over my glasses which works for me as I'm far sighted.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Martytoof posted:

The Dainese Assen 48 I just got feels so much snugger than my Dainese Super Speed Textile 48. I guess leather is just naturally less forgiving, but I alllmost wish I’d bought one size up. Wearing thick layers with this one is going to be trickier, but should be fine once the temperature stabilizes into perforated leather territory.
I don't have the Assen but I have the Dainese Mugello Perf jacket in euro 48 which I pair with the Dainese Alpha pants in euro 44. The leather Mugello is definitely tighter than the same size textile Dainese jackets which have more of a comfort fit. I have the Hawker and D-Frame in textile. I find the leather jacket in euro 48 to be snug but perfect. By way of comparison, I weigh 140.5-144.5 lbs at 5.5% body fat with a waist of 29"-30" and chest of about 40" I think you also feel the tightness more in the leather because it's less flexible than textile and much heavier. That said, I find the jacket fine off the bike and very comfortable riding the bike. I only really have to deal with the snugness putting the jacket on and taking it off.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 14, 2019

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Steakandchips posted:

Not really. Even if there was, I'd still order online given that there's a plague on.
I think the Renegade is the Defiant in the U.S. market and as such it is an intermediate oval so neither the round oval of the Quantum X or the long oval of the Signet X but like the Corsair etc.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Rolo posted:

I have some generic Cycle Gear riding jeans that fit ok, the knee armor doesn’t shift around while I’m riding, but they’re a little baggy when I’m off the bike.

Can any skinnier goons recommend a riding pant that come in a slim fit? I prefer the look of denim but it’s not a deal breaker, especially if I can trade it for something with mesh/vents.

Budget would be ~350 or less.
I wear 30 inch to 28 inch waist pants and Dainese are slim fit. I got some discontinued Dainese Yamato in size 44 and they are quite slim. (a true 29 inch or so)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFH6kcDNtTA

Yuns fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 21, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Russian Bear posted:

What's the protection delta on perforated leather vs 600D poly (like this jacket https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-airwave-3-jacket)? I live in a very hot climate (sothern Arizona) and looking at options for my first set of gear. Do people usually have both types of jackets/pants? Leather set and a perforated set?
Motorcycle leather is significantly more abrasion resistant than even the best textile but I still wear textile in the hottest weather because I'm willing to trade off some abrasion protection for lower heat exhaustion/heat stroke/dehydration risk especially when stuck in slow summer traffic.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Would anyone be interested in girls street motorcycling gear suitable for girls in the 7-10 year range? My girls have outgrown their gear and before I list it on my town's for sale page earning the opprobrium of the various Karens in town I was curious if any of you rode with your daughter(s) who could use it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I've been using the Sena 20S forever and it's worked really well for me. It works great for phone calls for me unlike Steakandships experience. In fact, mounted in my Arai, the call quality is good enough that no one knows that I'm on a motorcycle.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

MomJeans420 posted:

no then your recommendations are full of bike vloggers, who are the absolute worst.

I'm still pissed youtube keeps on trying to recommend yammienoob's videos
You can click don't recommend this channel when YouTube tries to do that. I shouldn't be surprised but I was when DanDan the Fireman who has a motorcycle safety Youtube channel (more like a motorcycle scared straight channel) started collaborating with Yammie "Street Rossi" Noob, the poster boy for terrible street riding and opinions.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

In the EU Arai will not do it but in the US Arai will inspect and repair helmets. It's not something they broadly advertise but you can contact them for support. I don't think it's tested on a machine. More inspected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd-S7XdnSHk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I've read that Arai has looked at rotational elements like MIPS and does not want their helmets to rotate on the head but rather that the exterior of the helmets themselves be designed to resist getting caught and rotating.