Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Does anyone have that picture from awhile ago when that dude wheelied a drunk chick off the back of his bike, and she was holding up her jeans, and the rear end was just... gone?

That convinced me to buy Kevlar lined jeans...

Which then fit me like loving skinny jeans, because S&S apparently doesn't know what pants sizes mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

"Kind of crappily put together but looks amazing" describes a good bit of Icon's product line, at least the parts not excessively geared to nu-metal fans.

Part of me wants to get the 1000 jacket in bright red as part of an all-red-leather outfit for my bright red bike, but the $600 price point combined with the kinda meh impression of Icon stuff (including the Daytona leather jacket I already have) has dissuaded so far. Plus they don't actually have matching pants.

My summer jacket is an older Icon Overlord that I picked up on closeout for like $80, it seems really well made, Cordura frame, hatd plastic armor at shoulders, elbows and back, it's extremely heavy textile, so it'll roast you if you're standing still in the sun, but has great airflow for the highway.

IMO their stuff's not bad, just overpriced until it goes on closeout. I wouldn't bother buying a helmet from them though, leave that to the well-established helmet makers.

One day I will sell my Marauder, and spend all the money on sweet, sweet Italian Spacelord gear.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 27, 2014

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Halo_4am posted:

They're neat and would negate the auto-tint visor that stays annoyingly slightly tinted at night, but I'm only seeing them in 3/4 and modulars. Know of a good full face with them?

The HJC IS-16 is my day-to-day, and is a good helmet if you don't plan on spending Shoei money http://www.revzilla.com/product/hjc-is-17-helmet the visor works reliably, and iit's a comfortable, lightweight helmet, only downfall is that it's not Snell approved, if I'm bombing a mountain road or something I'll pull my more sport-oriented helmet out of the closet and wear sunglasses.

Edited for link to the IS-17, because the IS-16 is only available in one size anymore.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 31, 2014

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Or imagine getting hit by a car blowing a red light at 30 mph.

Imagine the same thing happening on a moped.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Schroeder91 posted:

My last helmet was a 4x hjc and when it hit the ground I was fine :haw: Its not really super loose or anything, but I can turn the helmet a bit with ease and checking blind spots the windy will catch it and pull it. The top feels fine I'd say but the cheeks and stuff are loose? A 3x will probably do the trick and when I can afford it I'll pick one. As for Shoei, I can't afford that. I tried a 3x Icon and lol nope not happening.

Having a properly sized helmet does wonders for comfort, when I moved down from a 2X I -thought- fit to a 1X it was amazing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah. I've got a Knox back protector inside my Rev'It Airwave and it actually isn't too bad without a backpack (I've got the jacket adjusted quite loose, as the bottom of the zipper will fail if I have it cinched to fit me better).

If your zipper pops apart because your jacket fits correctly, what is it going to do if you hit the pavement?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My HJC IS-16 isn't the most comfortable helmet in the world, it doesn't seem to fit well, especially around the forehead, so I've had like 10 BB/Revzilla windows open looking at new helmets for the past two weeks, couldn't bite the bullet and shell out for one though. Then today I went to the parts store with a buddy, and while he was ordering I tried on a Shoei RF-1100.

I immediately purchased it, it fit like a drat head-glove, has room for my giant ears so I don't have to gently caress with tucking them into my helmet when I put it on... Plus it was on sale for $360, and it looks sick as hell in matte black with a smoked shield.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That Joe Rocket jacket should be good too, and it'll block enough wind to keep riding into spring/fall. I own one of their leather jackets with elastic panels and it's a great jacket, and textile panels breathe great.

If anyone wears a size 46 jacket and rides a Triumph, it looks like BB typed some prices in wrong, and are selling 420 dollar jackets for $150 http://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear-and-accessories/jackets-vests/motorcycle-jackets/triumph-portland-motorcycle-jacket

E: I'd also take a Dianese jacket over a Joe Rocket/Icon/Shift/Cortech etc, if they weren't 3-4x the price (especially on closeout, Dianese stuff never seems to get that deeply discounted)

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 21, 2014

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Speed doesn't kill, helmets do :(. I'm glad there's at least one like-minded person in CA.

Despite helmet laws in my state, I make sure my 4 year old daughter never wears her helmet when she's riding on my sportbike's handlebars, and I explain to her that the extra risk I'm taking by wearing a helmet is my own personal choice, and she should never follow my example, while I show her how to clutch up in second.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Schroeder91 posted:

Also ordered a pair of Icon Compound Overpants. $140 on competition accessories. White so they'll match my jacket, but not my red bike. No black in my size :(.

I just got these same pants so that I could finally complete my gear selection, and they were a phenominal price.

Of course they only had white, and all my bikes/jackets/other gear are red, black, black and red or blue for my SV, so they look stupid as gently caress no matter what I wear. Obviously I need a white jacket and helmet so I can go for the Stormtrooper look.

They're pretty awesome though, leather in all the right places, self-hemmable which is an awesome idea, zippers are well thought out and placed. Only gripe is no adjustable knee armor, it happens to fit me perfectly, but I think for someone that was shorter and portlier than myself they'd fit pretty crappy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

A backpack would work really well, a lot of newer ones have built-in laptop holders.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I put some miles on my new Cortech Latigo Air boots, and it's amazing, I've never noticed my feet being hot or sweaty before, but feeling air rushing over them on the highway is AMAZING!

My Harley boots which are my normal go-to (I know, I know) since they're comfortable, sturdy, and look good, have completely thrashed soles, thanks to 100's of mile of walking in addition to riding in all sorts of weather. I really want to replace them with some of Dainese's casual-looking boots, but the Italians, it seems, don't cater to obese size-14 american feet :(

Lynza posted:

He has all of his gear in a sack and has been taking it to the local group rides as a reminder of why we should be wearing gear. Apparently one of the other groups got butthurt about him bringing his sack of thrashed gear and told him he shouldn't be trying to convince people to wear "all that stuff."

"how dare you try to convince people to be safe!" :argh:

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 29, 2014

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Gorson posted:

I'm looking to replace my Sidi Stratas and those look nice. How do they fit around the calves? I have very thin calves and the Sidi's are loose around the top. I have been recommended Dainese since their boots can cinch up or down a few inches around the calves.

The fit on the calf is very adjustable, it zips up around 6", then there's a massive velcro patch right on the calf area you can cinch up, I have pretty giant calves, but it looks like it could adjust in quite a ways.

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm looking to buy a leather riding jacket and right now I'm kind of trying to find one that's no more than $200 CAD before taxes. Apparently that's not very realistic? I'd be willing to push it up to $250. Any recommendations?

Look at closeouts/discounts

Shift makes really, really nice stuff:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/insanity/7085

Dunno how S&S's jackets are, but their gloves are really good quality, and this is a screaming deal, should be able to fit a piece of CE approved back armor in it for that price:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/insanity/7163

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Supple Moisture posted:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/leather+motorcycle+jackets/shift_fuse+hybrid+jacket

Will I die if I wear this?

Will this jacket keep me warm in the fall?

These are my questions.

No, Shift is a pretty good brand, I'd pick up a CE approved back protector with the jacket too though.

Not really, even with the liner you'll need a wind-proof baselayer below the mid-50's,I'd go all leather for fall riding.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Foxtrot_13 posted:

You don't by a helmet that has sat on the shelf because you don't know what butter fingered fuckwit might had dropped it onto the hard floor of the shop. The helmet will probably be fine but it's your cash so why take the risk of a potentially damaged helmet.

The same thing goes triple for a helmet that has potentially gone through the postal system multiple times as well as been used by someone you don't know. Do you trust USPS/UPS/RM to treat the helmet box with care or will they just toss it about?

Buying a helmet online from someone who restocks returns is only one step away from buying it from Gumtree/Craigslist.

A $100 thermoplastic-shell AFX helmet can survive a 12 gauge shotgun blast from 20 yards, plus withstand getting dragged across 100' of pavement without being destroyed. I think that helmets can put up with a little rough handling during shipment. If the packaging isn't significantly deformed, then the helmet shell won't be either, ADDITIONALLY, Revzilla packages their products quite well, and Shoei paints their overpriced graphics on with paint that scratches if a fly lands on it, so I think one would notice if their helmet had suffered major damage during shipment with a cursory visual examination.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Digital_Jesus posted:

What? I've taken like 4 rocks to the head and there are zero scratches in my graphics.

Hmmm, now that I think about it I can't remember exactly HOW I got those scratches :p

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Boot chat always makes me sad, because my buying pricess is always "what boots come in a size 15?" And that narrows my options down to a couple Cortechs, I think two Dainese boots, and some Formas.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The EPS lining in helmets degrades over time due to moisture, heat and age, you really shouldn't be wearing a seven year old helmet.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's new helmet time!

I currently wear a Shoei RF-1100, which I love because it fits me like it was made for me, and the speaker cut-puts in the liner mean I don't have to reach in and tuck my giant goon-ears back. Anways, my question is does the RF-1200 for the same as the RF-1100? are there any comparable helmets that have the same head shape and cutouts? I won't go back to a mid-level HJC (I still wear my old CL12 when I ride on the west coast, a duty my Shoei will be retired to) and the fabric is too cheap and lovely for me to deal with after being spoiled by a top teir job, but I know HJC's super-premium offerings are on sale right now, how do they stand up compared to Shoei/Arai? How about Bell?

I ask this here because none of the crappy hear shops around me in CT have a decent variety of helmets for me to try on.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I seem to recall that Arai is one of the few manufacturers that makes helmets in pretty diverse range of head shapes?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Try using smaller plugs and insert it angled upwards. That's what I have to do.

Don't forget to pull your ear upward as you insert as well!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

A Cargo net will not hold a 30 rack of Budweiser during aggressive acceleration, for most other things they're great!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

nitrogen posted:

Okay, so trying to pull the derail about boots from the other thread...

I currently just have some lovely built boots. I definitely need something better. What do you recommend for mostly street riding that's comfortable?

I have a pair of Forma Adventure's, which seen very protective and have nice adjustability, they're also well priced, and someone posted a picture of the "short" (i.e. normal height) version in the other thread.

I also have a pair of Cortech Latigo RR's that we're super cheap, and are some of the most comfortable footwear I own, it's like air conditioning for your feet. I think they compromise on protection a little though, I can defeat the anti-roll plastic boys without too much effort. Likely a step up from bilt crap though.

I wish Spidi, or A* or anything but $$$ Dainese poo poo for my feet :(

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm struggling with this a bit since the bike's my only mode of transport for the next 3 months, sometimes involves awkward show changes next to the bike, fortunately I have my dorky but extremely usefull top case to lug shoes around in now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I just got my hideous new Icon boots today, they're loving SOLID, they're heavier than my full-height Forma adventures, the sole appears to be a solid chunk of steel, they're a pain in the neck to get on, since they're tight as hell and have the rear entry. Downside to this, of course, is they're not as comfortable as a pair of worn-in house slippers like my old Cortechs.

Disappointingly one of the buckles is a crib-death, the metal pin holding it together is bent, and not properly swaged at one end, I think I'll replace it with a large gauge piece of safety-wire for that ready-to-race feel (and because this was the last pair of 14s Revzilla had).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Why the gently caress does anyone make white boots? I'd have to be afflicted with OCD to have a prayer of keeping these things clean.

Someone here wanted a review so: these boots are extremely protective, the sole is literally a steel block coated in rubber, this makes walking around a bit awkward, but not unbearably so. The buckles are goofy, to tighten them to anything beyond the pre-arranged dimensions requires hilarious bend and folding of leather, that quickly forms hot-spot areas of discomfort, and one buckle was a crib death with a poorly installed and bent pin that I'll have to fix with lockwire soon. Waterproofbess seems good, they got damp in a NE summer storm, but I think it's almost entirely due to dripage down the large calf-opening from the pants. Speaking of which, I have ENORMOUS calves, like big enough to make bodybuilders jealous, and the boots still flop around over them like a hallway over a hot-dog this could technically be solved, but see above issue. Zipper is awesome, doesn't bind or hang-up on fabric, I expect a long life, and the cavernous top meat-hole makes for decent ventilation.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

IuniusBrutus posted:

Also, bought some A* riding pants and they are clearly not designed for chunky Americans. What brands of riding pants should I look at for that will fit fatties?

I just got a pair of Cortech Sequoia pants, and they're awesome, good price, great features, and they fit over my powerlifter+fat thighs without issue, instead of being very baggy at the waist and hilariously tight in the thigh like many other pants I've tried. Tourmaster (which hilariously autocorrects to "Your master") also makes reasonable pants for gentlemen with substantial legs, but just doesn't offer the feature/$ Cortech does.

Here is a picture of my incredibly outsized leg for sizing reference

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 4, 2018

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

IuniusBrutus posted:

I got some Forma Adventure Lows in 44, and they are perfect in every way...except the toe area. It is too tall, and I while I can just barely fit my tow under the shift lever, it is difficult to do and I see myself missing all sorts of upshifts because of this.

Is there anything similar, but with a bit thinner sole on it? I like the adventure boot styling and the mid-height size, but I don't need something with such a robust sole on it - I bring changes of shoes with me if I'm walking anywhere substantial. Don't really want to downgrade on protection.

The Icon Raiden Treadwells have (IMO) substantially more protection, and a less chunky sole and shorter toe box, on sale at Revzilla right now https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-raiden-treadwell-boots

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It probably has no relevance to name-brand Motorcycle gloves, but I don't trust "touch screen compatible" gloves after I had a pair of snowboarding gloves completely shred on me after on fall on icy snow.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Could be earplugs+speakers.

Otherwise WHAT?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My A*s, particularly the right one, hot-spotted my hands and would make them go numb for a LONG time, but fit perfectly now.

And yeah, everyone's hands are just a wee bit different in size from one another.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

They'll be perfect for my "crusty joints"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

I have these headphones with the tips changed out to not have the hook on them, but the one time I tried to put my helmet on over them it felt like it was going to press them too hard into my ear. Maybe I just need to pull the helmet on all the way and see how it feels.

I have jumbo-sized ears, and getting an RF-1100, which has factory cutouts for speakers, made wearing earbuds comfortable again.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

I just took a look at my RF-1200 and amazingly enough it also has cut outs. I guess I just need to get the helmet all the way on and it won't feel like I'm about to puncture my ear.

I flex mine out a bit at the sides to clear the buds, lower profile buds help too.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Don't buy stupid hipster helmets, get a full face, or a modular if you reeeeeaaaaaally need to ride around with a butt hanging out of your mouth or whatever.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My Forma Adventures are pretty great, for all-day riding I think they're a perfect balance of comfort and protection for touring, and they can hold up to a decent amount of trail thrashing, most importantly for me they're available in size huge, and they're a great value.

They're flimsy as gently caress compared to my properly protective Icon Raidens or Fox Comp 5s though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ridgidity is what counts in boots, do they feel like they would keep your ankle from snapping like a twig?

In general I would trust any Alpinestars gear to be sufficiently protective.

If I was in NY again... I would still get a pair of vented boots, if they were my only boots, they do surprisingly well in the rain, dry out quicker if they do get wet, and are more pleasant to wear in general. Perfect for those summer NY thunderstorms.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It looks like if you were careful you could use some shoe goo/goop/other silicone based adhesive to mend that and seal it up.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Let me know if you find anything that fits, I have the same problem, I'm a 36" waist, and even upsizing to a 38 I end up swimming in the waist, and still tight on the thighs/butt.

Motorcycle gear/fashionable clothes just aren't made for thicc men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I need a new helmet, I currently have a Shoei RF-1100, which is, as far as I'm concerned, the most perfect helmet ever made, it fits perfect, like perfect perfect, like it was custom made for my head, it has ear cut outs that make riding with earbuds comfortable, I impulse bought it the second I put it on in the store because of these qualities.

Unfortunately it had 6 years and 25,000 miles on it, so it's firmly in "don't wear me anymore idiot" territory, so I'm looking at new helmets.

My current favorites are the Shoei GT-air, Arai DT-X, and Shoei X-12, the Bell Race Star is also in the mix, but I think might be a little too race oriented. I'm leaning towards the GT-air, use case is sport-touring and commuting on an FZ6. Does anyone have any suggestions based on this info? Anyone know what fits closest to the RF-1100? These helmets are hard to find in stores near me to try in, so I'll be buying online.