Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mewcenary posted:

A big hairy muff is always going to be the most effective solution.

Minkee posted:

Isn't that the European method? Europeans chime in here.

Yes. Americans usually at least trim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Anyone have advice/experience for getting kids gear for a little kid that rides a dirt bike? Helmet, boots, giant bubble made of airbags, foam and bubblegum?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nitramster posted:

Talk to the parents of those types of kids in your area and find out how they're offloading their stuff. I would bet there's a Facebook group set up for it, and of course, Craigslist. Also might be a dirt bike forum that has a good regional group around you.

Thanks!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Sounds good, being in the UK it's the rain I'm most concerned about.

For some reason the euro list price on Motorama is about £12 cheaper than when it shows sterling (€187 vs £157) :iiam:. Have to shop around some more, see if I can't find a stockist closer to home.

Looks like the little brother model Terra (even more space cowboy than Adventure :swoon:) is supposed to fix that, though there's not even a description or specs or anything on the manufacturer's own site, let alone any reviews, so yeah, not about to spring that much for a mystery box

What do you guys think of a boot like this http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-mohawk-boots vs that one?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
If I want to be the safest, should I buy the A* airbag system that's coming out in the spring?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

nitrogen posted:

I have never even heard of this, and the goog didn't enlighten me...

http://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air
It's an airbag for your body. Pretty fast inflation time. Doesn't seem to cover your neck though. Needs to be recharged after 25h of use. I read somewhere that it's going to be $1,500 but I haven't been able to find that again so who knows.

Z3n posted:

Depends on a lot of factors. It's probably a good move up in terms of protection for many types of accidents, but you need to wear it in addition to your other gear, who knows how much of a pain in the rear end it's going to be, blah blah blah. It also needs to interact well with whatever other gear you have.

Seems like you need to buy one of their new jackets for it, but otherwise I'm not sure what gear it would interact poorly with. A neck brace maybe? Was thinking just their jacket + armor and pants + armor and a helmet and gloves. Nothing too fancy.

I see a lot of folks complaining about the charging but that doesn't seem so terrible to me. Just bring it in and plug it in with your phone overnight.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

Oh, I was under the impression it was a vest style system like hit air.

Then the concern is going to be...does the jacket fit you?

It is, but they say it won't work with anything but their two new made-for-it jackets. I assume that's wrong too or at least that there will be other aftermarket jackets with which it works but I'm having a hard time finding reliable stuff out there that's not just press releases.

Edit: it needs a "compatible jacket" which are their new Valparaiso and viper models, but yeah I have to think that there will be a bunch of aftermarket options at some point in the not too distant future.

builds character fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 29, 2014

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

*zips up jacket* DEVICE ARMED.

Look, I would be lying if I told you that the fact that it has LEDs on the sleeves that turn on when it's working isn't a selling point because I'm a child who wants to yell PEW PEW PEW and have as many lasers as possible on everything.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Compatible presumably means some sort of stress-relief in the seams because otherwise when the airbags go off they're going to try and squeeze your internal organs out of whichever orifice is nearest.

(This is assuming this is for the chest and back-protecting airbag system, not the older one that just (attempts to) protect your coccyx and a couple of cervical vertebra)

Yeah, it's for the chest and back one. I looked at it and there are some that attach to your bike so turn on when you fall off and those seem great if you're worried about high siding and hitting the ground and not so great if you're worried about hitting anything else (or anything else hitting you).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

What are some good in-ear headphones? I never feel like using my Sena and headphones are super easy, but obviously I want something that prevents hearing damage and has better quality at speed.

Yeah, you won't get any venting then either. :smith: Try wearing basketball shorts underneath. That helps.

Ultimate ears or shure.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

I'm trying to keep it under $200.

I think if you're a little patient you can probably get some nice ones on eBay for ~200. They're a lot better than anything else I've tried, but to be fair I'm no expert. I think all you really need is an earbud that makes a seal in your ear (or noise canceling, but I think those are still generally a larger form factor).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I'd just but a bunch of used stuff from one of the other big bike forums. Then when you're sure you love it you can go get your own.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Wapole Languray posted:

My issue is that most textile gear I like the look of is also waterproof. It's honestly hard to find textile gear that isn't I've found, if it's not mesh and not leather it's waterproof. Suggestions would be more than welcome though. I do have chronic-cold hands and feet though, so I'm not terribly worried about gloves/boots being warm.

Who cares how you look? Just by virtue of riding you're awesome.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Koruthaiolos posted:

In general, I pretty much treat my gear like poo poo. I've had SMX-Pluses for about two years now and below is what the leather on them looks like now. Is there anything I should do to help rejuvenate them or should I just continue not giving a gently caress. Then again, I can also use just about any excuse to buy new stuff:

You can get some lexol for cheapish and rub that in. Probably not a bad idea for basically anything leather that you own.

Edit: this stuff http://www.amazon.com/Lexol-1015-Leather-Conditioner-16-9/dp/B0002F9YHI/
and you can clean it with this stuff first if you want to go nuts. http://www.amazon.com/Lexol-430033-Leather-Cleaner/dp/B0002F9YIC

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Schroeder91 posted:

I have earwigs on stock so I can put them in my ears to clean them for me.

Me too!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

VERTiG0 posted:

Do you guys do anything to treat your leather jackets, like using leather conditioner or any of that poo poo like you would on a normal, fashionable leather jacket?

lexol, same for gloves.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Renapur.

Thank me later.

Renapur is nice too. I also use pecard's on anything that needs to be waterproof.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

PadreScout posted:

How often are you supposed to mink oil a jacket? Is there a schedule to this poo poo?

Either whenever you feel like it, once a year, twice a year or once every other month. Depends on how crazy you want to be. I think you'd be doing pretty well with twice a year - once when you take it out in the spring and once when you put it away in the winter.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Seashell Salesman posted:

I ordered a medium and a large Olympia Odyssey suit online and after trying them both on I'm really not sure of the fit. The medium is definitely not working because the legs are comically short, to where I almost can't get my feet up on to the pegs of my bike. The large legs are fine (maybe still shorter than I'd like in heavy rain, but perfectly serviceable), but the torso feels slightly too long and I'm worried that the shoulder armor isn't snug against my shoulders. If I wear a sweater or light down jacket under the large, the shoulders feel good and snug but I can't do that for most of the year. The ventilation (went for a ride with vents open, even at 20mph I could feel a lot), price, abrasion resistance, and armor all seem quite good and I really didn't see anything else out there with the same features and price point so I want to make it work if I can. Has anyone tried something like extra shoulder padding or sewing darts into the chest of a suit? Maybe it's not a big deal for the shoulder armor to not be snug, and I'm just wrong? Please advise.

e: this is the thing I'm talking about if it matters http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-odyssey-one-piece-suit

If you have a decent tailor, you can definitely get it tailored.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Speak for yourselves, nerds

Boom

Nice shoes. Your boyfriend looks very handsome. GL with your relationship

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Dalrain posted:

I have a cousin that was recently hit by a car that ran a red light. He's got a load of broken ribs+sternum on day 2 of riding, and I'm definitely feeling for him.

He did mention that he was having fun up until said moron ruined his day, but that before trying again he wanted to have some heavier armor. I normally see the armor in the back, shoulders, and elbows, but I'm not sure if there's any that have good chest protection that would make him feel good in the future. What should I/we look for in armor to make him feel safer, should he return to riding? Is there a brand, material, or construction that I should recommend?

Bay Area, moderate weather year round. I use textile mesh myself, but I think a good hit to the chest would still break me up pretty well, too.

A* tech-air "coming out this spring" in europe. http://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air

Supposedly ~$1500, but on the other hand he might be someone that thinks it's worth it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MetaJew posted:

I don't believe that Shoei makes an inferior product with respect to crash safety. Is there some evidence saying it is?

Also this http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/automobiles/27SNELL.html?_r=0 and this http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Articles/MotorcyclistHelmets.html

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Pfox posted:

Help! I want to upgrade my gear (jacket + pants) with armoured inserts, rather than continuing to use the foam stuff it came with. Are there brands I should be looking for?

Not a brand, but CE certified stuff.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

So basically I have an anomalous weirdo head and the only helmets on the market that fit are scorpions (and I really don't like the latest models). Intermediate oval cranium shape, really narrow jawbone - so anything that fits my head completely fails the chin up/down test. gently caress :v:

Actually the scorpion I'm testing right now fails that test too, if I try. Fuuuuuuuuuck

If you're planning on crashing you shouldn't get on the bike. If you're not planning on crashing, what do you need a helmet for? Ride free, feel the wind in your hair and the bugs in your teeth like God intended.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

Funny you should mention, I ordered (and returned) a Scorpion EXO-500 with airfit. Too loose even pumped all the way up! Also they changed the internal shape to narrow.

Honestly I might just buy a Snell and be done with it. Shoei fits me really well and has like 2xs cheekpads.

I think you're probably safer with a snell helmet that fits than an ECE helmet that doesn't.

edit:

Z3n posted:

I'm saying gently caress it, and doing this:
https://www.bellhelmets.com/bell-custom-fit/#star-carbon

Yeah, it's about a thousand bucks but I wear my helmet nearly every day and at a shelf life of 5 years, figure I'm paying about 60c a day for a helmet that fits me exactly. I really wanted to buy an Arai Defiant, but it didn't quite fit me perfectly and gently caress paying $400+ for a helmet that doesn't fit.

Let us know how it goes! Do you know the ETA from measure to delivery?

builds character fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 25, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

Wow, ok, I completely missed that it was a custom headscanned one. Maybe someday...

Just don't buy a second beater bike to ride.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Radbot posted:

My current bike doesn't really go that fast, but I'd like to see you try it, lol

:allears:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Lynza posted:

Once it's clean, you might consider getting a head cover you can wear, too. Especially if your liner isn't removable. It'll help by separating your sweaty noggin from the liner, and you can just throw it in the wash once every couple of weeks (or whenever it gets funky).

I use one of these: http://raci-babi.com/Helmet-Liners.aspx

But Amazon has a bunch as well.

I just dumped a bunch of water in my helmet and swished it around and then rode around with the vents open. I assume that now I will die when it shatters after I hit a large bug.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Hm, that worries me as I've been comfy at about 40 degrees for an hour's ride in just a cheap Tourmaster Transition III jacket and overpants (the one this would be replacing) with nothing but jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt underneath, and summer gauntlets with knit liners, so I was kinda hoping that an R3 would have similar temp capabilities.

Then again, being from Dallas, I imagine you probably feel that 40F is pretty cold, so it may just be a regional bias showing. :iiam:

I would happily ride in an r-3 over regular clothes all the way down to ~35. On the other hand, 75 is probably my max for riding in it over regular clothes, but only because it's too hot in the long elevator ride and walk to the bike and it's far more comfortable to just wear shorts and an athletic shirt. Once I'm actually on and going, it's good to ~85. Anywhere there or above my legs get a little too hot. The venting is great but for me I'd worry more about being too hot than too cold. I'd guess it really is personal preference.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

Dirt helmet/goggles, dirt gloves (shorties are fine) boots, knee, elbow, upper body compression armor, hip impact armor. Cover it with a close out dirt bike jersey and pants because they breathe nicely but also don't rip.

Things listed in order of importance.

You can ride in whatever you're wearing for on road though, particularly if you're just learning and riding mostly fire roads. I've ridden on trails in an aerostich and while it was hot as gently caress it also felt pretty safe.

Aerostich, the early years.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

My leather gloves are getting STANKY. The freezer and alcohol spray tricks no longer work. Can I just throw the drat things in a gentle wash (or handwash) and condition the poo poo out of them afterwards?

I've washed gloves with tech wash and they were fine. Just condition the leather bits after. Not like they don't get super wet in the rain/sweat.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fhate posted:

My hands virtually never get very sweaty. Pretty much the only time they do is if I do something very physically intense while also extremely hot (e.g. running five/six miles in direct sun when it's 85+).

Some people aren't so lucky. I've known more than a few people who easily get sweaty hands and I can totally see any gloves they wear stinking like an old dirty sock eventually.

every time I have to talk to a girl

or another person

or watch a video of people interacting in any way

:sigh:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

prukinski posted:

Those sound ideal and I don't think the cold will be a problem here in Austraila, but the only Richa distro here is a Deus Ex hipster joint that only stocks the bottom-end dress glove stuff. BA-BAW.

I have rev it sands. They seem OK. Nice and cool but definitely less protective than a full gauntlet. Never been down in them on pavement though.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Time for the annual reminder that unless you're a poseur (like me), bar muffs are by far the best solution to cold hands.

All the delivery guys here just use two or three plastic bags. Seems to work pretty well for them as they're riding all day even in the snow. Of course, the look leaves something to be desired, but if you get cold enough you won't give a poo poo.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Revvik posted:

Wait I can do this year round, in Michigan??
Explain.

Totally willing to do my work commute (city, no highway) after all the crazy looks I get about the 'dangerous, dangerous rain.'

You probably really have to watch out for ice, but otherwise go get a ton of heated gear and then my understanding is that driving in snow is OK if you have knobbies and treat it like it's, you know, snow and don't try to turn quickly or at all. In NYC, when it snows everyone orders even more delivery. Lots of the delivery guys have bikes, but many also have scooters or mopeds and all those guy deliver all winter even when it's well below freezing. They all have multiple plastic bags covering their hands when it's that cold. Exactly like hippo hands only instead they're plastic bags. I would prefer heated gear and/or hippo hands, but if you don't want to spend money or you get caught out then I'd rather ride around with plastic bags on my handlebars than have totally frozen hands.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Partial Octopus posted:

What's the best kind of underwear to wear when riding? I normally wear cotton boxer briefs and I just get terrible chaffing most of the time. I've tried underarmor and it's also no bueno.

Try these? http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/moto-skiveez-adventure-skiveez

Do you really chafe with underarmor or do you not like it in another way? Is it only along the seams or everywhere?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chris Knight posted:

Won't help if it doesn't start in the morning.

Hook them to some circuit that only switches on when your bike turns on.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Anyone have any thoughts on/preference between a kriega US20 vs. US30?

z3n, someone mentioned you have both? Any thoughts on the differences/what they're each useful for?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Thanks very much for the input everyone.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yerok posted:

So If I'm 5' 11" with a 28" inseam and like a 30" waist (160 lb) am I just hosed as far as finding a one piece that fits correctly? I have a disproportionately long torso so I would image that on most suits the legs would be too long and the chest would be perfect, or the opposite.

Aerostich also makes custom suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Verge posted:

Any recommendations of mid-grade waterproof boots, then? Somewhere between leaky Cyclegear Bilt and actually sheds water.

If you're OK with a boot that's a little more dual sport or off-road oriented, I would call Brian at atomic moto. Super nice and incredibly helpful. http://www.atomic-moto.com/motorcycle_boots.html