Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Pope Mobile posted:

Same. When I had the tail bag, it was nice, but I was tired of dealing with the rain cover when it was wet out, plus the bottom getting wet no matter what. There was also the theft factor (bikes have been stolen right out of the parking lot at my school). I love my top case.

That is why I park inside of the auto shop, by the kit car build, right next to the teacher's and the other vet's bikes.

After buying my Sportster, I've decided I need bags. Any suggestions on what to get? Leather will be fine, even textile would work. We have about 350+ days of sunshine, with maybe 4-5 days of rain, so waterproofing isn't an issue. They don't need to be HD badged or anything, I don't care about that poo poo (even though I wear a HD leather jacket, but only because it was free...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Do any of you have experience riding in high wind + sand conditions? I was riding home tonight and went through a particularly sandy area which made some blow through the vents in my helmet and into my eyes. After I closed the vents it got better, but is there something that would work really well rather than just ok?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Nevermind... I just answered my own question.

On a related note, any suggestions for a good helmet for a passenger? Obviously I want the same certifications as mine (and more), but should I be looking for anything in particular?

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 31, 2014

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Crotch Fruit posted:

That looks like an awesome helmet, I want a modular with open face options for those long empty stretches of highway in 100F weather. That said, I had my local Cycle Gear order in a Shark Evoline, have you compared the scorpion to the shark? There are some features that look great on the scorpion (like the price) but I think I will like the self contained aspect of the shark a little better.

As someone who will be riding in 115F temps in just a few months, keep the full mask on. The vents keep you cool enough to not pass out. Opening the front just lets more misery in.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Radbot posted:

Hmm, interesting. Definitely seems like it can be harmful, though the highest sound level they tested was at over 100MPH (never ride this fast on my bike) and it reached the level of an MP3 player at max volume.

I would argue that the 90dB levels at 60 km/h are something you can attain. And prolonged exposure at that level will definitely lead to hearing loss.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10912379

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Well edited.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Radbot posted:

No, I'm saying based on the data that was shown, travelling at speeds well below 100MPH produces SPL levels that I'm exposed to daily anyways. 100MPH+ is clearly damaging based on that NIH abstract.

I've literally never met a motorcyclist who wears earplugs even most of the time when they ride, so it just never occurred to me as something I should do. TMYK, probably going to start on my next ride.

The link I posted showed you would get hearing damage from ~37mph (90dB) onwards when sustained. I don't know what you do to be exposed to 90dB daily (and I assume based on the way you wrote it, fairly continuously) but you should be wearing ear pro for that as well.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

M42 posted:

I have more articles saved at home, but here's one http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC539364/

I guess it's possible that your bike and helmet are quiet enough, but using plugs is easy, and you can't fix hearing loss - better be safe than sorry.

Radbot posted:

The other link posted said 90dB levels were found at speeds over 100MPH, just in case you didn't look. I wonder which is true, 37mph sounds like bullshit as I doubt cyclists going downhill are going deaf from that insane speed.

I assume you mean this one, where it says

quote:

All these studies show excessive wind noise around the helmet—about 90 dB(A) at 60 km/h and increasing linearly when plotted against the log of speed, to reach 110 dB(A) at 160 km/h.

No, I looked.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Slowly upgrading all my gear this term. Dealer pricing through my "work study" nabbed me a cheap pair of alpine stars sp1 gloves! Yay!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

So I went and tried on the TRQ-Tours at the :dong:-store. Nice boots, great ankle support. It really is amazing how much more dramatic the ankle support is in them vs. the lower-end boots and some other brands, which you can fold in half. So I really like that.

I often have a problem buying shoes and boots because my left foot is half a size longer than my right. In these boots, 44s fit my left foot, 43s fit my right. Overall, 43s fit more snugly, but my left toes feel a little cramped in the end. How much will this loosen up over time? Because there isn't a lot of adjustability, and I'm not sure if the plastic toe armor means there's no room for the boots to break in. I know the general rule with motorcycle gear is to go on the tighter side, but I also don't want my toes to end up numb on a long ride.

Are they comfortable enough just walking in? I'm looking for something I can ride to school/work in and still be comfortable walking around in. Was looking at the A* sp1 shoes but they don't look that protective. I can keep works shoes for when I'm wrenching but school is harder to have a good place to leave your stuff without it walking off.

These Bates just caught my eye because I've worn Bates boots for a while and I know they are comfy, but do they have decent protection? Whoever it was that just got a job at revzilla, have you seen these? What are your thoughts?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bates-adrenaline-boots

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

builds character posted:

2010 maybe? I don't know. I also have a warm n safe jacket liner that I can't turn up all the way because it's too hot but I don't know about the jacket.

Giant bowl of cereal, bike inside, tiny, toy firetruck under the table? Solid work.

Next time my wife leaves I'm putting my bike inside by the couch.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

So I have an issue with heat. I'd like to get a new jacket, have access to dealer pricing with icon and alpinestars. The heat here can't get up to 120F in the summer, and while I usually don't ride when it gets that hot, I still have to ride in 100+ temps often. I have a black leather jacket that I love for colder weather but I need something better. I'm looking at the T-GP pro air from A*. Anything else anyone would recommend?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

-Inu- posted:

Words, but none that help Jebus.

Any idea on hot weather tops? Any recs for extra hot weather?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

-Inu- posted:

For the brands you can get dealer pricing on, T-GP Pro Air (I loving despise A/S naming convention) or Anthem 2 will be your best bet. Mostly comes down to your build and which will fit you best.

If you're willing to stray from those brands, I think the Dai Airframe is the best venting mesh jacket on the market. If you look at the pics you'll see what I mean.

With that said, above a certain temp/speed, you're actually cooler by not having ventilation. But I haven't taken thermo in years and it's a big ordeal where you have to factor in ambient temp/speed/humidity/sweat evaporation. Probably some good articles on it online.

edit: Would anyone be interested in a list of summer gear that I like the most this year? I can do a low/mid/high budget if there's interest.

Thanks! You are a saint among goons. I was looking at the pro air, but it shows discontinued/no refunds so unfortunately I can't buy it to try on and return it. The shop I work for mostly does maintenance so we don't have a merchandise area or anything. I'm on the stocky/chubby end of the spectrum so I imagine the A* will be tight in the wrong places and too loose in the other wrong places since I'd probably order an XL. That Airframe does look great, but they lean towards the leaner side, don't they? Is there anything in the perf'd leather area that works well in the heat or are textiles the best bet?

As far as the hot weather and venting thing goes, it's touch and go. We usually have super low humidity when it's over 100 but depending on how rigorous they are with watering the golf courses it can get a little muggy. We also try to avoid the middle of the day and plan our trips for the early morning and get back and night once it has cooled off back down to the low 100s...

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Outside Dawg posted:

For a Modular the AGV Numo does well on Sharp: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/agv-numo

I just got this helmet and I really love it. Louder than my scorpion modular but not that noticeable with earplugs in. The front can be locked in either position in addition to the clasp that keeps it down so you don't worry about head movement sliding the front down if you want to ride with it open. I normally just keep it closed to prevent bees. It vents really well.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Chichevache posted:

I lived in a literal desert and enjoyed mine. I don't get 9 months functionality out of it in the Bay Area!

Living in a literal desert, I'm buying a perf leather jacket after I buy my summer textile. Some temps are just too hot to go riding in, though. Anyone interested in Oldchella? I have a room for rent that could go to a good instead...

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

While drunk and brainstorming a while ago I came up with beendown.com -- a place where gear crash reports get posted and poo poo. Apparently I bought it...? It never went anywhere because I've been too busy with my daytime job. Probably wouldn't go anywhere anyway.

Actually, that sounds like an awesome idea. If you could get it started with a little help from Revzilla and another retailer or something, it could be linked directly to and from the retailer and you could make a little money off it. The rest of us could go to our online retailer and click the BeenDown Score and see pictures and stories of how the gear held up in whatever incident they were a part of. I'd contribute once I crash.

PaintVagrant posted:

The answer is alpinestars sp-2's, because they're like wearing lotion

They are great gloves. Love mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

That's stupid because you can get a proper full faced helmet with visor for that kind of money.

Still not as stupid as the vaderface:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shark-drak-dual-helmet

Interestingly, also by Shark. TBH selling those things would be enough for me to boycott them on general principle.

Fuse from Rainbow Six Siege?