Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Any testimonials in here for Forma Adventure boots? There are cheaper waterproofs, but not many that wouldn't look like crap peeking out from under a pair of jeans. I figure anything that potentially doubles up as streetwear is worth a few extra quid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MoraleHazard posted:

I have them and really like them. I've ridden in the rain, for a good while, but not all day (if I remember correctly) and no issues with losing waterproofness. They're stiffer than a hiking boot walking around, but not so stiff that you couldn't walk a couple of miles in them. They're tall, about 15 inches, and regular cut jeans will go over them just fine.

Sounds good, being in the UK it's the rain I'm most concerned about.

For some reason the euro list price on Motorama is about £12 cheaper than when it shows sterling (€187 vs £157) :iiam:. Have to shop around some more, see if I can't find a stockist closer to home.

MoraleHazard posted:

My only complaint is that for a $300 boot, make it a replaceable sole for fucks sake.

Looks like the little brother model Terra (even more space cowboy than Adventure :swoon:) is supposed to fix that, though there's not even a description or specs or anything on the manufacturer's own site, let alone any reviews, so yeah, not about to spring that much for a mystery box

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pope Mobile posted:

Street & Steel has moved on from the Sons of Anarchy phase and is moving into hipster town. Lots of brown and faded leather. They even have a jacket named "The Scrambler". :sigh:

Before I adjusted my expectations I was briefly disappointed to learn that the only shades of brown leather armoured jackets available are shiny khaki and polished turd. I've got a pretty nice fur-necked bomber that's a normal non-embarrassing brown, vaguely annoying there's nothing like that with thicker grain and armour inserts. Oh well!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Went first helmet shopping today looking to get a Caberg Duke or something like it, ended up going for an LS2 FF370 instead because of head shape reasons* (also it's half the price, which is nice :toot:).

Was kind of surprised to find out I'll be getting an S helmet but an L jacket, kit sizes are weird.

*read: cabergs are for people with chubby chops whereas my head is more like this

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Lynza posted:

High-five, fellow child.

The more lights, the better.

PS your helmet is rad

I was curious about how such a thing would go down in the UK, and unsurprisingly after looking it up I found there are no explicit regs on the subject of lit clothing (although for vehicle lights every colour is reserved for something or other except for purple, and that would get me pulled over by the fashion police).

As a result I'm planning out how to get two colours on there at once: blue/green for better visibility, and amber so I can switch over/make excuses if a plod takes offence.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

nsaP posted:

I find that if any of it is free to blow around I just get a tangled mess. In that pic from Deals Gap my hair was partially undone and it was a mess to untangle.

Just use more hairbands then, like so:

(e/ I saw a real male human wearing his hair like this once. He was also wearing a hat, no points for guessing what kind. Please do not emulate his fashion crime)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 12, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Weird, I was just coming to ask about heated vests.

The under jacket you linked there suggests it only goes as low 109f/42c, is that just down to the controller that comes with that model? If I got a separate controller, would it be able to go lower, or do these things dislike being undervolted too much? (I can't imagine why they would, but you never know)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

rotaryfun posted:

How do you guys usually handle that? Do you pack your shoes with you or just keep a pair at your office/destination?

Comfy boots and a desk job. :v:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Wapole Languray posted:

Any recommendations
for good newbie boots/gloves? Boots I could reasonably wear off bike are best, and the main thing for gloves is a palm slider/protector.

I've heard these are about as comfy as it gets, can't confirm until next week when mine get here. I actually have a pair in the house already, but my feet only just fit in them :v:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Bootchat: I've heard the recommended toe clearance is 15-20mm. If I've got to choose between having that with a rattly heel box, or only having 10ish mm of toe clearance but with an overall fit close enough to stop my foot moving, which is the safer option?

Related gripe: I'm beginning to get the sense that the vast majority of bike gear is cut for fat people for some reason :iiam:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How much of a klutz would you have to be to perforate your own eardrum

I mean I guess if you weren't aware of the risk you might just jam a cotton bud in there and go nuts, but it's really not hard to just lightly sweep the middle of your ear canal without pushing anything deeper in.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

alnilam posted:

:blush: how is it actually pronounced? Asking for a friend

Show-eh :canada:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Get a non waterproof jacket you like and a cheapish yet decent raincoat 2-3 sizes bigger than you'd usually wear.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

resign myself to getting wet if I do happen to get caught in the rain

Anyone going this route might want to look into getting some compression fit base layers (the spandexy type stuff). The much-touted wicking effect that makes them good sportswear means that you can get soaked through but when you take the thing off almost all of the water will go with it.

Obviously less desirable than just taking off one top layer and being bone dry underneath, but let's be honest the only kind of top layer you can get that really does that in all conditions comes on four wheels.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is there any real difference between Knox' full gauntlet summer gloves other than price? I see a slightly different arrangement of plastic widgets on the back, and maaaybe the roid looks slightly beefier than the mech?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm looking for some textile over-trousers that zip all or most of the way up. I know a lot of aerostich pants do this, but are there any makes/models at a lower price point people can recommend?

I'm having trouble even searching for this tbh, as I can't imagine what the marketing lingo for this feature might be.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Waterproofs would be good too as I will need some eventually, but right now it's armour I'm looking for.

e/ right now I'm running some regular £50 armoured overs, and while they're perfectly adequate for riding they're a massive pain for commuting as I can't get them off/on without removing my boots first, and there's nowhere at work I can really spread out to get changed quickly.

Basically anything that lets me shuck the trousers at the bike so I can just swap boots for shoes at my desk, is what I'm after. It's annoying that I can't find any pictures of them open, but those tourmasters sound good, thanks for the tip.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 20, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Voltage posted:

I might just end up getting the jacket, It just fit so drat well and the quality was pretty outstanding, I can imagine it will last many years if I take care of it.

*leaves store, immediately crashes into the back of a truck full of sandpaper and broken glass*

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm looking for some textile over-trousers that zip all or most of the way up. I know a lot of aerostich pants do this, but are there any makes/models at a lower price point people can recommend?

I'm having trouble even searching for this tbh, as I can't imagine what the marketing lingo for this feature might be.

Quest update, I ended up looking at a pair of Rev It! Tornado pants, as no stores in my vicinity stock the Tourmasters Lynza recommended and I'm kind of done ordering things online sight unseen.

I haven't been able to try them out yet, but the fella in the store I went to did let me try on another pair of revits to get an idea of sizing, and if they're anything to by the fit and build quality should be pretty much perfect*, and for only about £70 more than the cheapest available equivalents.

Bonus: they're available in white. :)

* I wish I could remember the model name of the trousers I tried on, because they fit so good it was untrue. Rested perfectly around my hips without slipping but with a ton of room in the actual waistband so I could bend over easily, they had zippers on the inside leg up to mid thigh (not quite high enough to get boots through, or I'd have bought them on the spot), and really light as well.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 6, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Welp, turns out Knox gloves just don't fit me. I already knew in my head that with bike gear you just have to get what fits and that price and brand are all but meaningless as gauges of how good something will be for you personally, but it wasn't until this purchase that it really sunk in. Good thing everyone in this biz has convenient returns policies.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yeah, definitely stay away from all-in-one waterproof armour. The liners go between you and the vents, so the gear gets waterlogged on the outside (no fun to deal with when you get where you're going) and also you have no air movement at all so you will sweat your nethers off and get soaked anyway. With loose fitting waterproofs over the top of mesh you should at least retain a bit of air circulation.

Probably also look into getting some wicking base layers too, they'll help you feel way less gross in the event that you do get wet under your armour.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What sort of features should I be looking for in babby's first tank bag? Mostly looking for a place to stash a bottle of water, tablet, extra set of gloves, that kind of thing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I take it from your comments regarding magnets that nobody's ever patented (or at least has never successfully marketed) a set of stickers similar to tank protectors that contain ferrous material.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Lynza posted:

May I humbly suggest a tailbag instead?

I did consider a tailbag, but figured it would be more annoying since it sits right where my foot likes to go when [dis]mounting (I can get on and off without going through that space, it's just slightly more effort) and I'd have to reach behind myself to get stuff out, at which point I may as well just wear a backpack.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Rev'it Airwave pants (and all similar looking models that I can tell) zip up the inside leg to within about two or three inches of the bottom of the fly zip, might be worth a look.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There are other factors like aero and noise, but obviously you can't tell that by putting them on, so look round for reviews.

Just mind that noise is greatly affected by fit, and some people are loving dumb, so you will find reviews for almost every helmet bitching about wind noise because some fool heard X helmet was good and bought the thing even though it didn't fit them all that well.

Best you can do is take reviews in aggregate (yes this can be time consuming) and discount complaints that pop up less than ten percent of the time.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm still pretty peeved about the dearth of full zip trousers. The Airwaves are easier to get on than most, but still not actually easy; how hard would it really be to run those inside leg zips all the way up to the belt so I can just step in and out?

I get why this is a non-starter for anything that wants to even pretend to be waterproof, but for mesh? Really?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Huh, I wonder what's going on in the right hand side to cause that red spot?

But yeah anything with a sun visor is going to have somewhat worse crash protection in the sides. For road use that's more likely to be a low speed impact area, so the only zones you strictly need green are the front and back of the head. (though also worth noting is that not having a visor is no guarantee of better sidewall protection; my £70 LS2 has one and has the same ratings as the Viper you linked)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 11, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

£6 for the wire, £4 for the driver, £5 for a tube of sealant. The ability to take it all off if I want to redesign? Priceless. Suck it Lightmode!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Wear one on each shoulder, fill them with grenades

All messenger bags are terrible, unless they come with a solid back plate to stop them folding in half around your hip, and even those that do will almost certainly have some other ridiculous foible like an over-large top flap that makes it impossible to add/remove items without taking the bag off your shoulder, or strap loops positioned such that opening the bag while wearing it causes it to fall open, scattering your papers to the wind.

I've been through a lot of messenger bags. (none bike specific admittedly, but it seems like you'd always be better served by a backpack, plus a tank bag for the few things you really might want to get at in a hurry)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeLa72oSf3c

Or you could just plug a bunch of perforated hoses/wire tidies into a fan box and coil them around your body (one of the first image results for "personal cooling unit". Patent pending!)

e/ I'm sure I've seen the thermoelectric concept built into a professional little collar that hits your jugular/carotid, but I can't find it for the life of me. Maybe I imagined it?

Probably wouldn't be crash safe anyhow.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 16, 2015

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

M42 posted:

I soak my entire shirt in water, works very well when moving.

I can't tell if you're being serious or sardonically referring to sweating.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
So is he dead or just inactive?

It doesn't really matter to me, I'm just curious and you're kind of making it sound like he died

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I recently got a set of triple flange silicone tips for my regular sport earbuds (the over-ear hook kind), and I've gotta say it's crazy how well they work. For the first time ever I don't need to put my music volume even halfway towards the state mandated hearing damage warning (let alone above it) to be able to hear it.

It'd be great if there was a bluetooth unit I could plug them in to that also had an external mic so I could hold a normal conversation with someone without having to unplug.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Ah, by normal conversation I meant like in person with a cashier or security guard or something, not a phone call. If you can set the mic to pipe into your own headphones I thought it might be able to pick up people talking to you...?

I can just about manage as is but it'd be nice to have a boost so I'm not always having to get people to speak up, sonny! :corsair: Some old man held me up at a T junction the other day to talk about something, maybe a 'friendly' ribbing about my squeaky brakes? I couldn't really tell, or make him go away, because I couldn't hear him too well so all I could do was nod and wait for the nosy fart to stop standing in front of my bike.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

HotCanadianChick posted:

I get the same results by just not being friends with anyone who calls/texts constantly. :feelsgood:

Reading some article the other day about phone addiction and phobia-like withdrawal symptoms like "pfeh, I could easily go without :smug: [because nobody ever calls me :(]"

It actually is pretty great though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
On that point, now seems like a good time to ask if anyone has any experience with guitar bags on bikes? (I assume the answer is yes because as a bunch of cool dudes with bikes obviously at least one of you will also have a guitar)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
...it has two speakers though? One of them has controls on the back.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Razzled posted:

Pinlocks are an anti-fogging device. It's basically a double layer visor, the pinlock is detatchable and replaceable. They work pretty well and you should probably get one if you have fogging issues

The only issue I'm finding with pinlock is that it effectively reduces your vertical field of view by quite a bit even in the clear, such that if you want to tuck a bit you end up needing to crane your neck to have a clear view of traffic ahead (or be constantly pushing your helmet up, which seems kinda risky tbh)

It's possible to target things in the ~10mm gap between the seal and the edge of the visor, but I've found doing this to be more tiring than just stretching my neck, with the added risk that things can disappear behind the seal due to refraction shenanigans. It's basically like having a little A-pillar in your helmet.

I know they've released some maxi versions that go right up to the edge of the visor, but afaik these are only available for one or two race type helmets.

All that said, it's great not having to gently caress around with religiously cleaning and treating my visor to be able to see through it at all, especially given I live in a cold humid area where fogging is a year round risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

What kind of helmet have you got? It might just have a questionable field of view to start with. My Raid II had a tiny vision port and the pinlock made it absolutely hopeless. The NXR has a much, much larger FOV and I don't notice the pinlock at all.

LS2 ff370. The normal FOV with the pinlock in is fine, it's just an edge case where a couple times in the rain or at high speed when I'm hunched over I've thought "poo poo, it'd be nice if I could drop my head just another few degrees".