Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Z3n posted:

Good airflow is always noisy, wear better earplugs.

I rode around the country the summer I was 19 on a Kawasaki 454 LTD. I was young and dumb, and didn't wear a helmet unless I had to, or earplugs ever. Maybe a bandanna tied around my head over my ears to keep out the worst of the wind. Let me tell you from experience that tinnitus sucks, and if you're riding any prolonged length of time at speed, earplugs should be part of your gear. They're the cheapest insurance you'll have against hearing loss. If you break your leg, you can get a cast and be as good as normal. There is no cure for hearing loss that doesn't involve having to buy those tiny batteries at the CVS pharmacy once a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

alr posted:

Looking for any opinions on a waterproof oversuit I can fold up in a tailbag like a set of Frogg Toggs or alternatives. Are there any appreciable differences or quality of life improvements etc over the base "Road Toad" set? Or anything out there that's as good, but cheaper? I don't need anything fancy, just an emergency set I can throw over my leathers.

Frog Toggs will work, but they will also fall apart, in my experience. I spent a lot on frog togg suits just buying new ones when the old ones wore out/fell apart/ busted a seam.

The best rain suit I have ever had is the BMW pro rain. May be a little expensive, but has lasted me a couple of years and 40,000 miles without the slightest leak. Well worth the money, since you won't have to buy another one for a long time and the one-piece packs pretty small to fit wherever.

Also:

Alamoduh fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 24, 2017

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Mushika posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a rain suit? I've been using a cheap one for general use for the past year after my dog ate my good one designed for motorcycle use and this one just isn't cutting it. I'm not afraid to spend decent money on a good suit as long as I know it will last and will actually keep me dry in heavy rain. I've been looking around at options, but I thought this would be a good place to ask.

BMW prorain 3. I ride every day, and I’ve had mine for 2 years without any leak at all. You can probably get one cheap(er) on eBay. It’s bright yellow, which I think helps in rainy conditions.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

EkardNT posted:

Has anyone bought one of the Bell made-to-measure helmets? My current Schuberth leaves a very painful credit card sized impression on my forehead after an hour of riding. I tried on various Shoei and Arai models last weekend and they were all various flavors of painful.

If you have, did you need to do anything to start the process besides emailing them? I did so several days ago and haven't heard back from them yet.

I had the same problems with my c3, so I bought the liner for the s3 (I think?) and it solved the problem. Apparently the liner is fixed in the c4 or whatever the new one is called.

Except my hot spot was more the size of a quarter- your helmet may just not fit.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Fender posted:

I still hate the sport bike look, but a Versys is lookin' mighty fine right now, or maybe the 800GS.

I’ve put 50,000 miles on my 800GS in 3 years, and i love it, even though it’s a little quirky. The versys is probably better (and less expensive), though.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Ridgewell posted:

In general, however, any cheap/disposable plugs will do the job perfectly alright, as mentioned by others here.

Agree with this, but I have been using the same NoNoise Motorsport Noise Filter Hearing Protection (the orange ones) because the little screw- on top aluminum container they come in is way more convenient than carrying around a loose pack of disposables. Though I could put disposables in the container, I reckon.

Haven’t had any problems with them and they still seem to work fine.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
That jacket looks good! Are those like, collarbone vent zippers, or something else?

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Supradog posted:

I've had a Schubert E1 for 3 years/ 30k+ miles. I'd say it's a really comfortable helmet, very good build quality, comes with pinlock and has a internal sun visor so you can keep the clear visor on for night time riding.
It has better air flow than the c3/c3 pro especially at low speeds.

The visor is just an adjustable extra sun shade in practice. it has 3-4 height adjustments so you can tune it to your preference. the lowest is a little too low for my preference so I keep it in the second to lowest.
At what speed you notice the visor depends on your bike and sitting angle really. With my transalp that had some fairing I had a bit of buffeting anyway and no real issues. on the fz6 naked with a little more forward riding angle + no fairing I notice the visor around 70 mph. It's not wobbly, just a little more air drag than a smooth helmet.

The solution is to just put on a normal c3/c3 pro face shield for known extended high speed trips if it bothers you on your bike. you swap shields in about 15 sec.

I prefer to use mine with the sun shade if I know I won't be super slabbing a lot.

The E1 also instantly makes you a dad or gives you ride around the world cosplay tendencies.

I really wanted the e1 as a sun visor because I was having severe problems at sunset not being able to see. Instead, I put black electrical tape over the top edge of my c3 face shield, and that has been good for the last 20k miles. The aesthetics are not for everyone, I’m sure.

I’m due for a new helmet soon though, and think I’m just going to go with the c3 pro- which people seem to prefer over the c4- and use electrical tape again.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

ought ten posted:

What shape head do they fit?

Intermediate oval.

I tried to get one, but literally every site i looked at is sold out except Small and XS.

I love my c3, but it’s getting to be replacement time.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Supradog posted:

It's plastic also softer than a normal visor, easy to scratch. So if you have a habit of putting your gloves in your helmet or similar be wary of that.

Especially if you put your helmet on your rear view mirror when you park- that’s gonna scratch the pinlock!

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Nitrox posted:

My new helmet arrived in the mail with pin lock already installed. It's definitely not installed correctly, and I saw humidity between the layers while riding through a rain storm. Not too much, but some. Should I take it apart and reapply?

100% you should. It’s is not hard, but some can be a little finicky with the seal. Use whatever they recommend (maybe soap and water) on the seal silicon to make sure it’s not dried out or dusty or whatever.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

FBS posted:

I'm gonna try the Knox Orsas mostly based on the scaphoid sliders and Boa system but if they don't do the trick I'll try the Rev'It Sand 3s. It's not really hot/sweaty hands that bothered me, it was doing up three separate velcro fasteners per hand over my jacket. And I'm trying a couple new white/gray mesh jackets since I can already tell the all-black one I've got now is a recipe for solar disaster.

The thought of an all white jacket makes me cringe, though I guess mine is silver mesh. Still gets dirty as hell, and I made the mistake of using some normal detergent and washing it in the machine so the colored bits are faded out. Time for a new one? No way, especially since I was out at the bar and some cute girl said as she passed “I like your jacket!”

I also need to replace the throat-close Velcro, I’m definitely going to take it to the tailor. Should I expect them to have the right Velcro (the short hook kind) or should I order some and take it in at the same time?

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Combat Theory posted:

My pair of these beauties arrived today

Daytona touring star GTX

Have to say these are the finest boots my feet ever touched.

These look good! I tried to google them, but everything came up “Daytona road star GTX”- different boot?

I have a problem with my combat boots where the leather upper is creased at the top of the heel/ ankle flex, and it causes a blistering hotspot that I can’t seem to fix. I was going to take them to a show hospital, but before I do, does anybody have any advice?

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

helstein posted:

I'm on my second pair of Toucans right now. Be aware that the sole starts leaking after 60000km, but they will keep you safe and dry before that, even down to -5C (although with heating pads). They saved my leg last week when I got blown off the road on the road up the Folgefonna glacier. Still sore, but nothing broken.

If the goretex waterproofing is to blame for the leak, you should contact goretex directly- they will replace them for free. They have a basically lifetime warranty on their waterproofing products. I had a pair of Danner goretex combat boots replaced like 10 years after I bought them (and after being resoled at least once) this way.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Went to a local shop (triumph of Seattle- has a great and surprisingly fair priced gear selection) and tried on a few gloves.

Ended up going with a Sand 3. The cayennes were nice, but definitely didn’t seem like they’d flow as much air. From the size chart I was a Large, but the XL fit way better.

Sizing up is a good call.

Sand 3’s fit small- I like them, but the pair I got according to the measurement chart pinches in the thumb base, or maybe is too short for my fingers, but in any case, they make my hands go tingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Just link these pics as the entirety of the “what not to wear” part:

https://people.com/movies/ana-de-armas-gifts-ben-affleck-motorcycle-48th-birthday/