Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have an Ixon 'copper' leather jacket which I really like, I've owned it for a couple of years. I've never crashed in it, nor have I worn it in the rain (besides the times the rain has caught me out mid-ride). Despite all this, 90% of the zips are broken. So I have no functioning pockets or vents, only the main zip and the two sleeve zips are still ok.

Or they were, until yesterday, when one of the sleeve zips hosed out. Is there anything I can do to fix it, or do I just have to buy another jacket? It seems like a fantastic waste of money to have to get an entire jacket over a bunch of zippers.

When I say hosed out, the majority of them the little tag you use to pull the zip has broken off the moving part so you can't actually operate them. The one on the sleeve, the moving part jammed with the teeth 'open' in both directions and I was forced to break it just to get my arm out of the sleeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

alnilam posted:

I, too, have recently discovered that riding with a clear visor sucks on a hot, sunny day. Gets hot in there, and sunglasses + tight padding = :(

Is light smoke a pretty good all-around choice, as xd said a few posts ago? I worry that mirrored will be too dark for if I get caught out in the evening without my clear visor.

And do I have to buy my brand-specific visor? ($40, drat you scorpion :argh:)

Oh, you poor innocent people who don't have to wear glasses just to see. Double-fogging is really not much fun in the winter; doesn't matter how great your visor or helmet are, your glasses will still fog up. And you can't put any kind of rain-x stuff on them because it changes the focal length and gives you headaches. Hooray!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Does anyone know anything about 'LS2' helmets? I see them everywhere in NZ, they have the most incredible market-penetration. Every bike-related store carries them, and they seem to be in the budget-to-mid range cost-wise, so they match the likes of AGV on spec/price.

I ask because I have the opportunity to pick up a brand new one of these:

http://ls2helmets.us/_live/products/full-face-helmets/88-products/full-face/102-cr1-ff396-carbon

For extremely cheap. Are they any good? I didn't know LS2 even made an 'expensive' helmet.

They have a 4 star SHARP rating so there's that. And is it any different having a CF helmet to a conventional one?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I look to be getting a helmet for free from my mother (no, seriously) because she is crazy. I specifically want a shoei. Does anyone have anything to say about the shoei XR-1100 one way or the other? I'm a little bit put off by it having an old-timey pinlock instead of a fancy dual layer visor like a shark.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*zips up jacket* DEVICE ARMED.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Reading this blows my mind; I thought the crap sizing and butterflies everywhere was just down to my local store being useless with their stock. I didn't realise it was basically endemic to riding gear.

When my missus got gloves she took one look at the women's stuff, saw all the pastel flowers and then asked for the exact same gloves as mine just in XS.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

That's also a 4.5 in youth size, you should look into youth boots. Could probably score some cheap too.

The boots, not the youth.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VERTiG0 posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the Icon Airframe (or Airmada, even) vs. Shark S700?

I've never handled an Icon of any kind but I've seen/worn the S700 and I wasn't particularly impressed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

I also have a quality question... how are HJC helmets?

The lower-end ones seem pretty poos but the more expensive ones are right up there with AGV, Shark etc. All the ones I've handled seemed a little heavy but I think that's my shoei bias coming through.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I use a bluetooth thing myself. The point I was making is that you will often have your hands off the bars for longer than that (adjusting visor or vents, checking zips, making appropriate gestures at other road users, etc) and so presumably have the common sense to not do that in situations where you need both hands on the bars (heavy traffic, slippery road conditions, other road users attempting to assassinate you) and those are not the situations where you should be answering a phone call, no matter how the button to do so is mounted.

Also the noise on mobile phones seems to take up far more processing time in your brain than talking to someone next to you. Weirdly this isn't anywhere near as much an issue with analogue and POTS phones (although presumably you'd need a hell of an extension cord for the latter) - if you play people an audio stream of someone talking with white noise interjected they can understand it much more easily than with silence interjected. One theory is that our brains are adapted to dealing with wind noise and stuff and can filter it out efficiently but can't cope with silences.

Considering how many near-crashes I've witnessed just from people talking to the person sitting next to them in a car, and the fact that bikes are so much more dangerous and require so much more concentration just makes it seem like talking on the phone is a terrible idea in general.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've never been able to wear those short gloves. I don't see how they're protective at all when your jacket just needs to ride up slightly to expose your entire wrist.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

European gear is cut thinner generally.

gently caress. This explains everything. No wonder my glove size is XL normally but 3XL according to Dainese.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Anyone own an AGV K4? What kinda shape is it inside? I hear most agvs are super narrow, but that one's supposedly more neutral. Nobody nearby carries xs helmets in store, so I'd like to be somewhat sure before I spend money ordering and possibly returning...

They're like a slightly looser-fitting shoei, based on girly's one. Don't know if that helps.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Heads are weird. Shoei is the only brand I've tried that fits perfectly. AGV as stated is very similar but feels cheaper and is noisy as gently caress. Sharks feel really tight and small and the wrong shape entirely for me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Shark actually has a massive amount of variation in their range, which is even weirder. The S range are pretty close to Shoei fit but the R range feel much rounder, like Arai, and the cool one I really wanted that I can't remember the name of didn't feel like it was fitted for any human being (it was tight all round and yet still left a gap over the crown of my head).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think his point is that there's no such thing as consistent methodology when every single person has a slightly different head, neck and jaw etc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NippleFloss posted:

I ordered a Dainese Mike jacket from MotardInn.com on Sunday and it shipped from Spain and arrived today. It also only cost $360 shipped, versus $530 from Revzilla. I'd highly recommend checking them out as they have great prices on some European gear, provided they have your size.

Is your name Mike though?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NippleFloss posted:

It's not. Do you think that's a safety concern? Should I return it for a Dainese Steve?

You should check if the jacket is compatible with your name. You might get excessive chafing or stress-related failure but ask the manufacturer for specifics.

Z3n posted:

Where that line between "preventing concussions" and "helmet over crushes and isn't as effective in higher speed impacts" is anyone's guess, but I prefer the helmet that's more likely to protect in the majority of crashes, which for me is lower speed street crashes because that's where I put on the most miles.

Also your chance of having a collision with another vehicle/random objects is much higher than on a race track, where you normally just get to slide to a stop and maybe bump your head a couple of times when you fall off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

velocross posted:

Do you know of any helmets that are snell 2015? I would assume the rf-1200 is, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Yeah the RF1200 is, not that I'd know how to tell the difference. Does any other brand do the quick-remove padding things to let someone take the padding out without taking the helmet off your head? I'm afraid to try it in case it's a breakable one-time clip or something :ohdear:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Skreemer posted:

The shoei x12 has that feature.

I have an RF1200 :ssh:

I was just wondering if any other brands do it and if I can test the feature without breaking something.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

quote:

Thanks to time well spent in the tunnel from its very beginning stages of development, the RF-1200 boasts a more compact and aerodynamic shell than its predecessor, earning praise and appeal as SHOEI’s lightest 2015 SNELL-Certified full-face model to date.

From here. Mine is badged as an NXR with australian standards on the tag but it's the same thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lynza posted:

Whoah there, slow down, buddy!

I have been, they're loosening up quite a bit after about a week. I'm just wondering if there's a thing I should be doing that I don't know about. Never had classy leather gloves before, but I did have baseball gloves, and I always used mink oil on those to treat them and break them in when they were new.

I had the exact question as you, but regarding calf-length boots, and the answers I got were the same as you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Speaking of necks, did anyone else notice their neck getting thicker after they started riding regularly?

Nope. But my lower back and leg muscles are pretty ripped compared to how they used to be.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NippleFloss posted:

I have a 1200 as well and love it. Never noticed any whistle, though I do ride with plugs most of the time. The removable liner is great.

I have a 1200. It is awesome and doesn't make noises because I adjusted the visor properly.

My only criticism is that it's cut so high at the back that the shape of the padding combined with the shape of my head means I get two jets of icy cold air shot directly at my ears on cold days. It's the first helmet I've owned where I feel like I'll need to get one of those neck/face tube things when winter hits full swing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Maybe you don't get sunburned, but I do under a clear visor.

You must be the whitest kid you know. Are you a ginger or albino?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

This is awesome, you are awesome.

Yup. Doin' it for the internet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This weekend I discovered, to my endless annoyance, that my hands are halfway between what Astars call 2XL and 3XL. I ended up getting the bigger ones but I'll never stop being irritated at the thumb being just a fraction too long.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mrking posted:

Are there any leather tailors near you? Or take some heavy duty thread and needle to the tip of your thumb

There's one, might see what she can do.

Defintely not modifying the gloves myself, they'll probably burst into flames on principle alone!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Your entire face basically operates like a crumple zone. Imagine your jaw, cheeks, and orbital bones folding inwards when you hit the side of the minivan that pulled out in front of you.

"Sorry I didn't see you there! I was in such a rush to get the kids to class on time I had to put my face on while driving!"

Exhibit A.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've always wondered: why do dirtybike helmets have a protruding snout thing?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tirinal posted:

stories involving actually being stopped along with stopped traffic are alien and horrifying.

Yeah, I've only had to do it half a dozen times and now I avoid those streets entirely.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

So basically I have an anomalous weirdo head and the only helmets on the market that fit are scorpions (and I really don't like the latest models). Intermediate oval cranium shape, really narrow jawbone - so anything that fits my head completely fails the chin up/down test. gently caress :v:

Actually the scorpion I'm testing right now fails that test too, if I try. Fuuuuuuuuuck

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Continuing on the whole helmet thing. Someone told me that the internal shape of ECE/Snell helmets might be different for the same model of helmet, is that a thing? For example, the Shoei RF1200 VS the euro version, the NXR.

I'd be interested to know if this is the case; is my NXR more jug shaped in American markets?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shimrod posted:

Sir Mootington is a pro level motorcycle rider who used to post here.

Also a Peer of the Realm and master bike builder.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What about just covering the bike in some sort of fake turds material to dissuade tampering? Or cat piss?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I still can't wrap my head around this idea that you would actually want other people to be able to call you when you're on a bike. Being unreachable is like half the loving point AFAIK.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Schroeder91 posted:

No one ever calls me so when I do get a call it's usually of moderate importance or asking me to pick something up. I use the bluetooth talking with my buddy all the time when we ride though. I don't understand the wanting to be unreachable thing. :confused:

Maybe it's just me then. Seems like nowadays you just have to have your phone on you all the loving time so anyone can call or text or IM or facebook or whatever, everyone knows where everyone else is and what they're doing and it's just this constant buzzing of people and society and bullshit. I don't have the means or circumstances to go camping somewhere super-isolated so being on a bike is the next best thing; I want to disappear off the grid and not have anyone be able to contact me, just ride around in an isolated bubble of controlled risk, waving a big skill-shaped gently caress-you to danger, with nobody to help or hinder or interrupt or advise (cars are inanimate objects with erratic behaviour scripting btw). Bike riding is fun times and the last thing I want is someone bursting into that bubble of calmness with bullshit that couldn't wait for some reason. There are very few things that legitimately can't wait when you don't have children.

The satisfaction of hopping off the bike and seeing a handful of missed calls is indescribable.

tl;dr bikes are me time and me time means gently caress off everyone else - the other 95% of my life is spent running around accommodating other people's poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

I get the same results by just not being friends with anyone who calls/texts constantly. :feelsgood:

I always knew you had no friends.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

The only issue I'm finding with pinlock is that it effectively reduces your vertical field of view by quite a bit even in the clear, such that if you want to tuck a bit you end up needing to crane your neck to have a clear view of traffic ahead (or be constantly pushing your helmet up, which seems kinda risky tbh)

It's possible to target things in the ~10mm gap between the seal and the edge of the visor, but I've found doing this to be more tiring than just stretching my neck, with the added risk that things can disappear behind the seal due to refraction shenanigans. It's basically like having a little A-pillar in your helmet.

I know they've released some maxi versions that go right up to the edge of the visor, but afaik these are only available for one or two race type helmets.

All that said, it's great not having to gently caress around with religiously cleaning and treating my visor to be able to see through it at all, especially given I live in a cold humid area where fogging is a year round risk.

What kind of helmet have you got? It might just have a questionable field of view to start with. My Raid II had a tiny vision port and the pinlock made it absolutely hopeless. The NXR has a much, much larger FOV and I don't notice the pinlock at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There are only two kinds of questions in CA:

1. You're knew and don't know anything so we'll be friendly and explain things in exhausting detail.

2. You already know the answer/buy a multimeter :argh: