Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
bought a new helmet today to replace my ill-fitting 10 year old HJC CL-10.

Scorpion EXO700 Rivet

I spent about 30 minutes at the local shop trying on helmets from Aria, Shoei, HJC and some others, and this $210 Scorpion and a $400 Shoei fit the best. I dont like graphics and the Shoei didn't have any, but the the Shoei didn't have a breath deflector and seemed to fog up in the store, while I couldn't make the Scorpion fog up. That and $200 less sealed the deal.

I know I could get this helmet cheaper online (I'm not sure how cheap) but I wanted it today so I ponied up the $210.

It's a small, I'm a pin head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Sir Tonk posted:

I fit into Shoei's TZ-R pretty well, would you say that the shape is similar? They don't sell these at the shop I was at, so haven't tried one on yet. And from NewEnough's description, they seem like a hell of a deal.

I'm pretty sure it was the Shoei TZ-R that fit me in addition to the Scorpion EXO700. The fit was almost identical between the to to me (in the small size).

I noticed riding today and tonight that it's really nice being able to turn my head on the freeway to look at my blind-spot without the helmet moving about and the visor blowing open :)

The Scorpion is pretty tight in the cheek area, but I have a feeling it will wear in, or I will get used to it. It's not uncomfortable, just a bit annoying. Oh and one of the vents on the top is a bit loose. it opens and closes, just not solidly.

And I feel better knowing I didn't get ripped off paying $210 out-the-door (thanks pr0zac)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I'm looking for new gloves, something that will protect me, but I can wear commuting to work everyday.

I'd like to spend <$100 but i could go a little higher. I also want to use these gloves at the occasional trackday.
What does you guys think of Held gloves? specifically: http://newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/steve_motorcycle_gloves.html
or http://newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/ninja_motorcycle_gloves.html

OMGWTFWALLHACK posted:

It comes in the box, but they don't usually attach them on the display models.

hmm that's interesting. I'm still happy I got the Scorpion :)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I have a track day coming up on June 15th and I need leathers.. Is this a good suit and a good deal?

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/..._race_suit.html

if not, do you have any recommendations? I want to keep it fairly cheap ($500 or les) as i'll probably get something better in a year when I'm more experienced and will know what I want.

Is the sizing pretty reasonable on the site?
I'm 5'10", 160lbs and pretty skinny so I'm thinking the size 42 would work.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

aventari posted:

I have a track day coming up on June 15th and I need leathers.. Is this a good suit and a good deal?

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/..._race_suit.html

if not, do you have any recommendations? I want to keep it fairly cheap ($500 or les) as i'll probably get something better in a year when I'm more experienced and will know what I want.

Is the sizing pretty reasonable on the site?
I'm 5'10", 160lbs and pretty skinny so I'm thinking the size 42 would work.

So I went and tried on suits at a local store and while the size 44 fit almost perfect on the arms and legs, the torso was way too short. As in, there was massive camel toe if I stood up all the way and it pulled down hard at the neck and shoulders. The size 46 was still a bit tight in the crotch area but I could stand up and walk without pain. The problem that with 46 the arms were a bit too long and a tiny bit loose and the legs were the same way. I realize the suit is designed for crouching on the bike, but realistically you will have at least walk around a bit with it on.

I tried on Joe Rocket and Alpinestars and the JR suits seemed to be more accomodating.

I'm probably going to order the 46. Any thoughts?

aventari fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 10, 2007

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

that's such a sassy pose :nyd:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Got my 1 piece JR leathers yesterday. I went with size 44, even though they're a bit tight walking around, they fit well when on the bike. (I'm 5'10-11" 160lbs for reference)

I got them for $530 (retail $900) from newenough, that's the only reason that I got the bright green Power Rangers gear.

Also pictured are my $30 AGV gloves (retail $90)

So I'm ready for my Willow Springs track day on june 15th :)

dad and I (not gay)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Uthor posted:

Anyway, if you can stand the camo, Amazon has it for $46. The black is out of stock.

thanks, just ordered one. $60 total with tax and shipping

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

gear pics from 30-35mph lowside

Joe Rocket Pheonix 2.0 - I got a bit on rash on my elbow where the mesh wore through. The snap that tightens the arm ripped off and the armor didn't stay in place

Scorpion EXO-700 - minor scratch, I'm bummed I have to buy a new helmet even though this one is still perfectly serviceable

Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants - worked pretty well, the knee got shredded but it protected me from the road and the bike. My jeans didn't even get a hole in them. I would want something better in any accident more severe than this though.

No pics, but my Alpinestars SMX-4 boots held up great, and even thoughthe leather tore in 2 places, the padding and hard plastic shell certainly saved my shin and foot and ankle from anything more serious than the deep bruising I got.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Uthor posted:

Wow, long string of quoted posts, but I was wondering, aventari, did you end up getting this bag? What are your thoughts. I still don't need one, but I want one. I'm on the lookout for the black to come back into stock, but I want to know if I'm wasting my time (not as good as advertised, too small, etc).

Yeah I got the bag and I just started using it this week because you asked about it :)

Honestly, it's pretty terrible. If I was ONLY carrying around my laptop it would be fine, but if I try to carry my laptop, clear face shield and an inner jacket liner then its almost too much for the bag and it wont zip up. It doesn't have nearly as much capacity as it should. I'm not happy with it at all, and will go back to wearing my normal Jansport type back pack when I dont absolutely need to carry a laptop around. It's also a pain to access the normal stuff i carry in the back pocket like phone/wallet and keys.

aventari fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 9, 2007

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

redscare posted:

Any opinions on these pants?

http://www.newenough.com/protective..._overpants.html

Terminal posted:

Great as part of a commuting outfit, but not exactly the best for weekend rayeling. I lowsided in a pair at ~40mph and had the entire knee blow out down to almost the last layer of mesh liner. You really can't ask much more from a textile pant, I just think they'd be a better deal for $30 less.

This is pretty much how I feel. I didn't have a problem with their construction, they are actually really good for commuting. Reasonable protection and easy to get in and out of. I even wore them for nights out as well a few times and they look perfectly fine for that (just going out)

They were quite pricey though and didn't hold up that well in my 30-40mph lowside

I ordered a set of these to replace them: http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/caliber_textile_motorcycle_overpants.html

and will be reporting how they are next week.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I really love my Alpinestar SMX-4 boots.

I recently was in an accident with a car and my boot really protected my foot and shin well. The leather got torn a bit so I bought an identical pair of boots and I'm wearing them now.
I've never had a different pair of boots though.

As for the visor argument, I have a Scorpion EXO-700 so it takes about 30 seconds to swap visors. I ride to work with my tinted visor on and then when I leave it's usually dark so I swap over my clear visor. I always wear a backpack so I carry aroudn the extra visor in my pack. Most importantly, to keep it from getting scratched I use this visor protector: http://tinyurl.com/28hwah

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I can't say enough good things about the A* SMX-4 boots. I crashed in mine and they took a beating but really protected my foot. I bought another identical pair right after.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

swanage posted:

those are fatbags

When we were at the last Mazda RevItUp event, my ex-GIRLFRIEND met a friend of her's from high school in the Hooter's outfit at one of the Mazda booths. Her friend was like "omg i'm so embarassed' and walked away quickly.

..I don't know why, she looked good to me :)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

rope kid posted:

I need some advice on open-face helmets -- other than "don't get them", it's not for me. A friend of mine insists on wearing a 3/4 open-face helmet. She was looking at Fulmer helmets because they come pretty close to the style worn during the era of her bike (early 70s).

http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/Product/afv2.html

I've also seen the Cromwell classic-style helmets, but I know they aren't DOT certified. Are Fulmer helmets any good? Are there any other good 3/4 open-face helmets of that general style that are better? Thanks.

this is a pretty classic style

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm looking at helmets first in my quest for a complete set of gear, and I think I've settled on the Scorpion EXO 700 series. I really like the 1000 series, but the extra $100-150 is kind of a turn off for my first helmet, especially when the only differences seem to be in the gadgets that the helmets have (1000 series has the cheek pump and flip-down sun shade, while the lower models do not), while everything else seems to be the same or similar (kevlar/fiberglass shell, etc).

Are the 700 series decent lids for a beginner? I'll be getting a bike in the 250-500cc range, either a sportbike (Ninja 250 or comparable), or a dual sport of some sort (rode a 200cc Yamaha for the duration of my MSF course last weekend, really enjoyed it).

As far as other gear goes, what do you SoCal riders prefer in the summer? Do you stick with perforated leather? I'm debating getting two jackets right from the start, either a perf'd or solid leather, and a waterproof textile. Same with the pants.

How exciting!

I love my EXO 700, I got it when I started riding 3 years ago on my Ninja 250 after trying everything in the store, and I'm still using it, 3 bikes later. I have a clear visor for night and a tinted visor for the day and they are simple to swap and never fog up. I even crashed in it at a low speed on the road and was perfectly fine.
If it fits your head shape, go for it. You should definitely try it on in person first though.

I'm in San Diego and I use boots/gloves+mesh jacket and mesh overpants in the summer for commuting. It's too hot in anything else for me. When it cools down I use textile pants/jackets though I'm looking for a deal on a leather jacket.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I've probably mentioned it a few times but I love my Scorpion EXO700. I got it 3 years ago, and haven't had any problems except it's a bit on the heavy side. I don't mind though it's building up my neck muscles :)

As far as fogging is concerned, the stock clear visor has an anti-fog coating that is still working awesome for me after 3 years. My HJC was poo poo and would fog in seconds. The extra smoked visor I got doesn't have the anti-fog however it doesn't need it.

As for the wind noise, the wind was really bad when I first got my exo700, but I got the aero flap thing for the chin and I don't have any problems.

I'm looking to upgrade to an EXO-1000 soon, mainly for the built in sunshade--even though it takes me about 15 seconds to swap visors.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I already have A* SMX-4 riding boots, but I was looking at NewEnough and they have Sidi Vertigo Corsa Boots in my size for around $300. I'm sorely tempted to get them for track days and aggressive street riding.
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/sidi/vertigo_corsa_motorcycle_boots.html

Does anyone know anything or have experience with these? Is it even a good deal?

and..

This is the first I've hear of 'pinlock'. The stock Scorpion visor on my EXO700 has never fogged up in 2+ years of riding. It comes with an anti-fog coating on it already and it works perfectly. Why don't other manufacturers have this? I can't believe people drill holes in their their visor to install this poo poo to stop FOG. wow

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I use these http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/joe_rocket/michael_jordan_2k7_team_replica_race_motorcycle_gloves.html

Joe Rocket Jordan race gloves. They are the best gloves I've used. Super comfortable, nice thin kangaroo leather on the palm for great feel, good airflow and protective.

I've been using them for commuting (10k miles/year) and trackdays for the past couple years. The stitching on the fingertips is finally starting to come apart, and I wish I could get another pair in my size..

Can I have the fingertips restitched? They're external stiches so it doesn't look like it would be too difficult, anyone have experience with this?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

8ender posted:

drat. I've been looking for a good price on a mesh jacket for later this summer. Ordered. Also if you put the coupon code custreview41 in you get an additional 10% off the order.

Hah nice! I just ordered the S1 Leather jacket in black and your code saved me $15. $140 for a good leather jacket? hells yeah

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

dietcokefiend posted:

What do you guys where underneath your normal riding gear? My shirt and boxers start to bunch up as I get sweaty (loving hot outside now) which makes them bunch up in really uncomfortable ways making for some interesting shifting to correct things. Is there like some sort of futuristic moisture wicking boxers that dont stick to your skin and bunch up?

don't wear boxers

bulge warning lol:
http://www.championusa.com/Champion/Products/Men-Champion/Men_ShopByCategory-Champion/Men_Underwear-Champion/CHU478.aspx

aventari fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 16, 2009

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

aventari posted:

Hah nice! I just ordered the S1 Leather jacket in black and your code saved me $15. $140 for a good leather jacket? hells yeah

:(

Just got an email from BikeBandit:
"The manufacturer has notified us that the following item(s) in your order have been discontinued and is not longer available.
Yoshimura S1 Leather Jacket 1 $127.25 Not Available"

I also ordered some brake pads, so they just shipped those. That sucks, I wouldn't have made the order and had to pay shipping for just some brake pads... They should have contacted me first.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

ChubbyPitbull posted:

Question for office-job riders who use their bikes for daily commute. I just started riding this season, and wanted to see about getting some gear for leg protection in addition to my helmet/jacket/gloves.

I need to wear khakis at least at work, so I was thinking about trying to find a set of riding pants I could easily put on when I leave in the morning and take off when I get to the office. Is there a style of gear that could accomplish this without leaving me bathing in sweat by the time I get to work? Or would it be better to instead get regular riding gear for the trip and just change when I get to work?

I use these and they are easy to throw on and off even over my boots. I never get hot in them either even in 90+ weather, protection isn't that great but it's better than nothing.

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/alpinestars/air_flo_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html

edit: I got regular size and they fit perfect

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I can't say enough about my EXO-700. I've had it for 3 years and its always sealed totally well, great ergos, anti-fog visor, simple visor mechanism, etc.

The only issue is that you need to buy an aero skirt for under the chin to stop air from there at speed, but once you buy that $10 peice, the helmet is perfect.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

shaitan posted:

This got skipped over, anyone have any opinons?

I have a pair of textile pants for temperatures or 70-75 and under and a pair of mesh pants for temps above that.

textile: http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/caliber_textile_motorcycle_overpants.html

mesh: http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/alpinestars/air_flo_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html

The textiles tend to get really hot and have no air flow (because they're waterproof) so thats when the mesh are for. However my last pair of pants were Joe Rocket Alter Ego's and they worked great for everything above like 40-50 degrees.
http://www.newenough.com/protective..._overpants.html

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I really like my dark smoke visor, what else do you want?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I love mesh jackets. I live in SoCal so I do have to deal with a decent amount of heat so I have 2 different ones, a Joe Rocket that's super light and you can pretty much see through for extra hot days and a more closed mesh Shift jacket for cooler hot days.
I didn't plan it that way, the Joe Rocket didn't fit perfect so I got the Shift but it worked out.

That said, they do not hold up well in crashes. I had a Joe Rocket Pheonix 2.0 that I crash at low speed on (30-40mph) and it was trashed. A couple snaps broke and the mesh wore all the way through, but i didn't get hurt at all. It did it's job fine, but any faster and my skin would've started wearing off instead.

However it gets so hot that mesh is all I can wear so it's much much better than nothing.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

BlueBayou posted:

Sigh, why are all the cool jackets for men

because girls just want pink jackets with stars and kitties on them

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

This is one area where it's so nice to be so completely, boringly average. Every piece of gear fits me, every motorcycle is just the right size and I can fit in any car with no problems :)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

People are mentioning taking out the removable liner from the helmet and washing it, eaxctly how would I wash it?

Throw it in the washing machine? soak it in the sink with a bit of detergent and scrub with my hands?

I'm embarrassed I don't know something this trivial

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

broadwayLamb posted:

Just ordered myself a new helmet. Scorpion EXO 700:

I already own an EXO 1000, But it's taken a beating over 16,000 miles. I decided on the 700 as as replacement because the fit is good even without the 1000's air-pump fit thingy, and I don't really use the 1000's sun visor too much anymore. Plus I was able to get this one for about $110 versus around $300 for the EXO 1000.

I've been riding and commuting with this helmet for 3 years and totally love it. Fits perfectly still, the padding is as good as day 1, the vents are decent, and I've been swapping the clear visor to smoke most days I've ridden and the mechanism is still is great shape and takes 20 seconds to swap.

I've only had to remove and wash the liner once and that was pretty easy too. Get the Aero blocker for the chin though.

My only issues are that is a little heavy from what I hear and the wind noise is kinda high.

Here it is in action. Bonus z3n in the background

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

The earplugs I use for riding don't seem to cut out enough noise because I can still hear ringing after long rides at high speed. I just use the ear plugs they have at the pharmacy or walmart or whatever and get the ones that claim to cut out the most dB's possible, but I'd like something better. I've tried many different ones.

Are there better or custom earplugs or something I could get?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Anyone tried the Scorpion EXO 1000? I love my EXO700, but swapping visors all the time is a pain so I'd like to get the 1000 with built in visor.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Senator Woofington posted:

That being said, do you guys know of any good helmet stores in the area? (North County San Diego)

where in North County? When I lived in Poway I hit up Alba Action Sports and tried on a bunch of stuff until I found what fit (Scorpion)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Senator Woofington posted:

Around encinitas, but poway is but a skip away. Thanks for the heads up!
I wouldn't drive all the out to Alba from Encinitas, they're helmet selection is adequate, but not great. I think theres some superstores that would be about the same distance for you, I'd probably start with Fun Bike Center on Kearny Villa rd, it's a pretty huge place. I tried leathers on there before buying them online.

aventari posted:

Anyone tried the Scorpion EXO 1000? I love my EXO700, but swapping visors all the time is a pain so I'd like to get the 1000 with built in visor.
bump this question :shobon:

I've been wanting a proper leather jacket for years and finally found one on sale I liked. $179 at New Enough, just ordered last night

can't wait!

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

OrangeFurious posted:

We did have a guy that wore his racing leathers and boots to work every day and wore them all day, but he was a dickbag neck-bearded game tester.

Full leathers all day?!

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Weinertron posted:

I would really like some input on the boots and gloves. I'm pretty secure in my choice of leathers after going out and getting a feel, it seems like the Joe Rocket leathers are a really good balance between price and quality. The Icon stuff seemed badly built, and everything else is dramatically more expensive.

I feel like I could do way better in the glove department, but I'm not sure what to look for. I don't think that $200 for Helimot gloves is in the budget, but I realize how important gauntlets are and if there isn't a better balance between price / performance I could stretch for them.

With the boots, I'm not sure what the downsides of the waterproof ones would be. I feel like I should go ahead and get them just because boots that aren't waterproof would be a pain. If I'm willing to stretch the budget for anything, it would be better boots, but I'm pretty sure that the Waterproof Sidi stuff looks like great protection for around $240.

I would like to keep the overall budget around $1000, so if I get input that I really need the $200 Helimot gloves, then I'd be looking for a jacket and pants on clearance to save a little $. I know that this isn't ideal, but I feel that $1000 should buy me decent overall kit based on the research I've done.

I have a different version of these gloves (they are Jordan branded) but I love them. I've tried 4 or 5 pairs of gloves and I should've bought 2 or 3 pairs of these Jordan gloves when they were available.
These Honda ones look very similar and should be nice. My favourite feature is the external stitching which really helps the comfort level.

http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/gloves/joe_rocket_honda_branded_gear/superbike_motorcycle_gloves.html

If these are in your size they're super nice. I have a pair of Vertigo Corsa's and though I only use them for the track or serious street riding, if they were my only pair I wouldn't hesistate to use them everywhere, very comfortable.
http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/boots/sidi/vertigo_race_motorcycle_boots_white_only.html

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

infraboy posted:

So I really want some full length boots for general street use. I really don't know what to get, they all look so good, anyone have experience with these?

Highest price, Look good, are they any better than the cheaper ones?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/17129/ITEM/Alpinestars-S-MX-5-Boots.aspx

Any other suggestions would be excellent as well, I pretty much ride only on the street so I guess comfort and fit is my main factor.

I've never had cheaper boots, but I've had 2 pair of Alpinestar SMX-4's. After one boot was ruined in a crash I bought an identical set I liked them so much. I assume the SMX5's are similar. They are super comfortable, great protection, don't look crazy and I've had no problems walking around in them for extended periods of time.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

just ordered this: I'll let you know how it fits on the F4i. Gonna need it for a couple day trip up the cali coast on Highway 1 :cool:

http://www.newenough.com/parts/luggage/tail_bags/rapid_transit/platoon_motorcycle_tail_bag.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I have those pants, they're decent, flow a ton of air and are quick to pull on and take off. My problem with them is the knee armor is total crap. It's a thin foam pad thats too small, non-adjustable and in the wrong place for your(my) knee. I still use em though..

For gloves I'd recommend a over the wrist type instead of a short cuff like that.

For the jacket, I wouldn't pay more than $75 or so for a simple mesh jacket. For that price you're looking at you could get a leather jacket. Look in the bargain basement section of new enough for mesh jackets