Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I would like to get those Tourmaster overpants because they'd match my jacket perfectly, but the one thing that's holding me back is that I'm going to be doing most of my longer-distance riding in warmer weather, so leather overpants don't seem like they'd be the greatest match for that, and they're more than I'd want to deal with on a daily basis for my five mile drive to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

xaarman posted:

Does anyone have any experience with riding jeans/casual wear that doesn't look funky when you're not on your bike?

More specifically, http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PAR_i301-230_G&tier2=10
and
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PAR_3010-0055_G&tier2=10
Those would look pretty dumb when you're not on a motorcycle as well.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Does the humidity/temperature differential even matter once you're outside for a few minutes? Once you start moving, the outside of the shield is going to get cold real quick, and the inside will have your humid breathe hitting it, and you're gonna get fog. I've found that the easiest way to deal with it is once you come to a longer stop (like from a traffic light), flip the shield up. Once you get moving again, close it again (or if its really humid, leave the last notch open).

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Crash report!

Details of the incident are in the megathread, here's how my gear did:

Tour Master Coaster II Leather Jacket

Leather wore right through on the shoulder, I guess that's where I hit ground first. Also, the seem over the wrist area busted. Would not buy again.

Icon Barrier Gloves

Worked ok, the plastic protectors absorbed most of the scraping. The pinky did fall apart and I got a little rash on that finger. For my next set(s) of gloves I'll be getting a more dedicated summer and winter set (these aren't ventilated enough for hot weather, and not insulated enough for cold), so I won't buy these again.

Lucky Brand L/R Bootleg jeans

Did not provide much protection, my right knee got chewed up pretty bad. Would buy again, because they were my favorite jeans. Would not crash in them again.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

fidottio posted:

All the jackets I've tried on in stores so far are too short in the arms. I'm 6'2 with about 42-44 shoulders and <34 pants, so finding stuff that fits well is fairly difficult.

Anyone have any luck with the Newenough "Hard to fit" tall options. Better yet, can anyone recommend something?

I know Newenough has a good return policy (I've already used it once when I made a terrible decision) but shipping to Canada hurts, especially trying to get customs money back.
I'm about the same as you, but slightly taller and skinnier (6'3", 31-32 inch waist, 42-44 chest but closer to 42), and I had a Tourmaster Coaster II jacket size medium that fit decently. I originally went with a large and it was just too baggy overall, but the medium was snug and the sleeves were long enough, and the waist adjustment kept things tight around there.

Earlier in this thread I posted pictures post-crash, and I was a little disappointed with how it held up (it protected me, but I won't be using it again). Besides that my only complaints were that the leather is kind of cheap, and the collar design just scooped up cold area and dumped it on my chest, which is ok for warmer weather, but negates the nice full-sleeved liner in cold weather.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

fidottio posted:

It doesn't show up under New Enough's tall section, even though they sell it. Did you just try it on at a local shop?

Also, what're you wearing now that you won't go back to that one? Thanks!
I didn't order a tall version, just the regular medium. I'll try to take a picture when I get from work to show where the sleeves and waist rest.

I haven't replaced the jacket yet (happened about two months, decided to wait out the rest of winter, fix the bike and then start riding it again). I really like the plain design of the jacket, and if not for the collar I would probably order it again.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Z3n posted:

Aerostitch.

pr0zac posted:

doesn't look stupid off the bike,
folds up small enough to carry around
can be locked to the bike

That doesn't meet any of those requirements. A one piece is not convenient to use at all for casual riding/commuting.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

You may encounter the same issue with textile pants. I have some RevIt mesh pants in their long size (I'm 6'3"), and even though the armor is in the right place when I start, it always creeps its way up on me as I ride.

I think they only way to stop that would be some kind of stirrup on the pants to hold the legs down. Do any pants offer that? That's not something I recall seeing but I think it'd be pretty easy to implement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Kallikrates posted:

The jacket wasn't perforated which is my bad since i knew what i was getting into but I don't get what type of body the jack was designed for someone with a 28" waist and a 39" chest. I am not a fat guy. but I do run smaller in size.
That waist/chest ratio seems pretty reasonable. What size was the jacket you got? I had a Medium Coaster II and I have a 31 waist/42 chest and it fit great, I even tightened the waist a bit.