Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

Also, it fits, unlike every Arai and Shoei I've tried on over the years.

Kinda surprised no Arai model fits you given the number of different shell shapes they make.Whether or not you'd want to pay for one that did fit, that's another story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
define frumpy - you're never going to look supa dupa fly in an oversuit.

aerostich lite isn't too bulky, comes in far more than just s/m/l/xl sizes and can be tailored to fit your specific measurements if you spend a little more on it, but it starts off at over a grand unless you buy a used one somewhere

well, just caught your edit. you could probably have one made for you with no pockets on the legs, it will just take a few weeks to show up

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

SimonCat posted:

What's the thread's opinion on back pads in jackets?

good ones (CE2 rated) are good? far more convenient but not as good as a full back protector, but I don't know anyone who goes full ninja turtle on their commute except dudes on sumos wearing body armor under a hoodie

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
edit: I stand corrected

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 28, 2016

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
if you're in the states you can put money tax-free into your flex spending account and use it for LASIK, so that helps a bit.

I had custom wavefront whateverthefuck LASIK done 8 years ago for $3500 total at the local eye hospital, not one of those LASIK-only clinics where it costs $50 with a coupon. $2K an eye these days seems pretty steep

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Revvik posted:

Also, I'm in my recovery week for LASIK and if they told me I had to go in every day for the rest of my life to get my eyes sliced and layered in order to not have to wear glasses ever again I'd still do it.

There were only two mildly annoying parts to getting LASIK and neither of them held a candle to having to gently caress with contacts and glasses on the daily: 1) everything going black in each eye when they put the microkeratome on and turned on the suction. Just a little freaky, but that's why they give you Valium 2) dry eyes for the next couple of weeks.

SO loving worth it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Schroeder91 posted:

I've heard you can smell your eyes burning. What's that smell like?

surgeon had a suction wand right there, couldn't smell anything myself. I asked, and he said it varies between burnt hair and cooking meat/BBQ depending on the person. :science:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Move your feet back so the balls are on the pegs where they belong, not your arches/heels = no worrying about dragging your rear brake.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

Textile jacket but I may upgrade to leather soon, A* KR-1i back protector, regular sized boots. The problem is I have a 2007 Daytona 675 so my options for bags and luggage are extremely limited from what I can tell. Most of the bags you'll find are for the newer models. I did find someone that makes a pair of saddle bags for the bike, but they were $550 (and I can't find them right now). I don't commute to my own office, but to other people's offices, so I can't really just bring all my poo poo inside with me (and I need to be wearing a suit). I could always run a long locking cable through my jacket and part of the bike I guess, or do a tail bag plus a tank bag. I'm not super worried about leaving gear in a bag that's not locked for most of the places I visit (parking garages in high rise buildings), but maybe that's stupid.

If it's not hard shell luggage, whoever wants your poo poo can just cut the bag and take it out. I wouldn't leave it on the bike.

You'll need 35-40L of storage for all of that stuff depending on how well it packs down. Bump that higher if you add pants.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zABQKi1wyvw

I know this is talking motocross (skip to around 3:10 if you don't want to sit through the demonstration on a pedal bike) but it applies to street riding too.

Even stiff-assed MX boots have enough ankle flex so you can work the shifter and rear brake. Do you have really tight ankles/calves or something?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

There are real reasons for putting your feet in the correct position. One big one, especially on light bikes that take a lot of input like a CFR, is that your ability to control weight input on the pegs and to position your body correctly with any kind of precision is poo poo if you're rooted through your instep or heels. The first time you try anything technical, you're gonna get your junk smashed on the seat at best.

Also, unless you're sitting way up on the tank, your toes won't point down when your feet are where they're supposed to be.

I don't get why you can't wrap your head around this extremely basic thing. Just learn to ride with good form and don't be a scrub.

This is correct.

In addition to providing input your legs can, and should be, part of the suspension on the bike. You can't use your calves to help absorb bumps if your instep or heel is on the pegs. This is going to be big when you take your bike off road.

If you like the idea of an upright seating position but have magically huge feet or broken ankles that don't work with pegs, buy a cruiser with floorboards and enjoy your future lower back issues.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
my heated liner gets loving HOT, I would not want to try plugging straight into the battery without a controller

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

-Inu- posted:

edit 2: Also, somewhat relevant news, Anthony is stepping down from CEO of RevZilla: https://rideapart.com/articles/revzilla-ceo-steps

When he's 90 and senile in a nursing home, he will still be doing the "Heyyyy, it's Anthony here with Revzilla, where you can watch, decide, and ride" schtick in his wheelchair. I'm with a few of the commentors on that post in that I hope the next in line doesn't try to grow the company to the point that it becomes another faceless retailer with no soul and no real investment in the motorcycle community beyond squeezing more profit out of it.

I hope he opens an adventure ride touring outfit that ends every trip with smoking stogies and embarrassing themselves at a local skate park.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
There are surprisingly few sets of wired "helmet speakers" on the market - might be easier to take the drivers out of a set of inexpensive on-the-ear headphones and give them a shot.

I tried a set of the Tork motorcycle helmet speakers, they sucked balls. Ended up ripping up a set of old Koss PortaPros I had and they worked out reasonably well. Getting the driver the right distance from your ear makes a big difference in the quality of sound you get.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think on adv helmets, it's just for looks for the most part.

The peak on the XD3/XD4 works very well as a sun shade. Riding into the sun where sunglasses or a tinted visor would still leave you squinting, the peak just blocks it provided the angles are right.

It also works really well as a sail when you turn your head for lane checks. Need to crack your neck? No problem, just check to see if that minivan is still trying to hide in your blind spot.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pokie posted:

I am considering getting something like these headphones for long rides
https://www.amazon.com/UCLEAR-Digital-Definition-Speakers-Compatible/dp/B00RW10WBC/
For those of you with in helmet speakers, how are they at highway speeds for music/audio books? Can you still get clarity with ear plugs in?

I get good enough clarity with ear plugs in. There's a lot of variables there though - I have the same setup in two different helmets (RF1100 and an XD3) and the sound is different between them because speakers are located differently in each.

The speakers you use, the amp in the device you're using to drive them, placement, helmet fit and noise levels, and the earplugs you're using can all make a big difference.

edit: words are hard

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 16, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

That is why I never wear just work boots or sneakers. feet do not heal well when they get hosed up, there's not enough circulation down there. There's a reason they're the first thing to go on patients with poorly managed diabetes.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I wish Neotechs fit my head. They're the closest modular I've found, but I still end up looking like Peyton Manning after I've had one on for more than 5 minutes.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I need a new helmet and am debating picking up an Arai Signet-Q on closeout or just springing for the -X.

Any long oval head types have the new Signet-X that can compare to a Signet-Q? Tried both on at a Cycle Gear while I was in San Francisco for work, seems like it's a lot harder to get your head into the X, but it fits decent once it's on. Could be a bit of a bitch if you wear earbuds. Not sure how they compare longer term.

Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has an Icon Airframe Pro, too. I'm kinda leery of Icon stuff since it used to be all show, no go, and there's no one around me who carries their helmets.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I ended up picking up some of the VisionX Optimus round LEDs with euro beam covers. I really hate getting blinded by assholes with HID bulbs in non-projector housings blowing light all over the road. There's a d-bag who rolls around near here in his Jeep with an LED light bar doing the same thing. I'm hoping these will have good cutoff and still throw good light, wiring hassles be damned.

If they suck, the whole lot goes back to Amazon and I'll hit you up for your Run-Ds.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 17, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I contacted Bell about the custom fit program, and the rep they referred me to never responded. I couldn't make it to any of the CycleWorld IMS shows this year, so I'm not sure how I'm gonna get my noggin scanned.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Supradog posted:

What.. well, this is why I never buy motorcycle pants/jackets online.

Klim - designed in 'Murica, for 'Muricans

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
My hopes that the liner changes in the Schuberth C3 Pro from the C3 would get rid of the hot spot the C3 gave me were dashed today. Ordered a closeout from Revzilla, wore it around the house for 20 minutes, put it back in its box and will be shipping it back tomorrow.

Having a long oval head is a real pain in the rear end. Arais fit great but they look like they belong on a space suit and are ridiculously expensive for what you get. $1k+ for the Isle of Man graphic, $700+ for any other graphic, and over $600 for solid colors? Get hosed

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

EX250 Type R posted:

it is real sad that trim and handsome has become unusual these days imo

you're probably OK if you buy something by a European brand, but Olympia, Klim, and other US brands? Forget about it. If I get something sized to fit my shoulders and arms it hangs light a tent off my chest and waist. I really like the Induction, too :smith:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

its all nice on rice posted:

Yeah it's a qwest replacement. Shoei will probably come out with some new graphics and clearance out older ones, but the 1200 isn't going anywhere.
That said, you should be able to use that transition shield on the X-14, if memory serves.

E: not a lot of helmets come with transition shields or have them available. The Bell Qualifier DLX comes with a transition shield. I talked to Bell earlier this week, and they said the transition for the Star was delayed until late June to early July.

Is there a new model of Star using a different shield? The custom fit program Stars come with Transitions shields, and I thought they were available for the standard models too.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Anyone have recommendations on a good textile jacket and perforated leather gloves for summer riding in the midwest (temps in high 80s-low 90s, high humidity)? Looking to upgrade from an Olympia mesh jacket and an Olympia mesh 1-piece suit that fits like a trash bag. Current gloves are a pair of Revit short short cuff gloves, don't remember the model, that are a bit short in the fingers and have a carbon knuckle protector that occasionally digs into my hands.

6' 185lbs, 16 1/2 35 shirt size, 32" waist in jeans, athletic build. I'd rather not have a baggy American fit. Upright riding position. Should I just suck it up and buy a Roadcrafter Lite?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pokie posted:

Are you saying those helmet brands are so great you don't even need earplugs?

You should be wearing ear plugs regardless of what helmet you have. Schuberth is the only manufacturer that releases decibel level ratings for their helmets AFAIK, and they're still around 85db at highway speeds, which is enough to cause hearing loss with extended exposure

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Just spent twenty minutes haranguing a Revzilla gear geek to get some good recommendations for summer jacket + riding jeans + new helmet. Unfortunately on the helmet side it sounds like my freakish dome has me pigeonholed into Arai :smith:

They fit great for me, but their price points are ridiculous, the shield change is better than it was but still isn't as easy as it should be, they look like space helmets... I'm tempted to just buy an RF-1200 and use a spoon to slightly deform the foam up front to make a couple extra mm of room.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Rev'it Lombard 2, once they come back into stock. Still trying to make up my mind between the Rev'it Airwave 2 and the Dainese Super Speed on the jacket. The Dainese is a little speed racer-ish for a Multistrada, but :italy:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Bit the bullet and bought a Signet-X today, due in large part to the screaming headache I had from riding an hour and a half into a headwind in my RF-1100. It's white, because that was the only color they had in my size.

I ride a touring bike, and now I have a plain white helmet. Any recommendations on adding some color/style to it, before I start buying hi-viz gear, put a cup holder on my bars, and start shopping for good deals on Goldwings?

I also picked up a pair of A* SMX-2 Carbons, and realized halfway home that they're a size small (fit snug in the store, which turned into too goddamned tight after a half hour on the bike). I'm too lazy to make another trip to Columbus to return them, so they'll be hitting the yard sale thread once I get some pics.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 16, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I've had a couple other Arai helmets (I still have an XD3). They were intermediate ovals but didn't give me any issues with forehead pressure. No one else's intermediate oval shape has ever fit - the Shoei RF series is close enough that just walking around they feel fine, but once there's any wind pushing against the helmet it's enough to give me a headache. I went with the Signet vs a Defiant because it fit slightly tighter side to side.

My gripe with Arai is dropping six bills on a plain white/black/whatever helmet when other brands have equivalent or better protection, features, and style for less cash. Arai doesn't really do innovation. Example: Arai's shield mechanism is miles better than it used to be, but it still sucks compared to nearly every other manufacturer's setup. I don't really give a gently caress if each shell is hand laid by a master artisan somewhere in Japan. A machine should actually be able to do as good a job or better, do it faster, and bring costs down. As long as the end result fits well and protects my freakish dome, I'm good to go.

There really must not be too many people with long oval head shapes out there, because there are very few helmets made for them. I'd think someone would be able to swoop in and snag the midrange section of that market pretty easily.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

-Inu- posted:

Arai's old shield mechanism from the RX-Q/Corsair V/etc is actually the fastest shield change on the market. I can do one in 3 seconds or under. The new one is actually slower and clunkier, thought I think I got my time down to around 6-8 secs.

Not sure if the one on my XD3 is the same since I only have one shield for it. The two Astral X's I had before it were fast enough once you realized the breaking plastic noises were normal. God forbid you managed to pop off a side pod.

I liked the shield change on my Shark RS - push a button on each side, the shield comes off. Line up the new one, push to lock.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Stickers ordered. If it looks total poo poo there's a hydrographics place up the road, I might look into having it dipped.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The last time I called a couple of vinyl places about getting a helmet wrapped they either didn't want to do it, or didn't want to tell me outright that they didn't want to do it so they quoted a ridiculous price instead. I don't want to drop the coin on the vinyl, cutting tape, adhesion promoter, etc. myself because I know I won't ever complete the project myself. If by some miracle I did, I probably wouldn't be happy with the end result.

Wrapping round objects is also a cast iron bitch. If I can't get a sticker to lay flat enough, I can just rip it off and use another.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Not sure what you mean by maintaining its stretch - you heat vinyl while you're applying it so it stretches more easily, but don't need to do anything further to it once it's applied.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Concussions are a bitch and can have nasty, long-lasting effects (headaches, vertigo, whatever the medical term is for "fuzzy-headedness"). I hope you don't end up in that boat.

Helmets can't really do much to prevent concussions since there's no real way to prevent your brain from slamming around in your skull short of not bouncing your head off of something in the first place.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

mentalcontempt posted:

Looking to replace my cheap Bilt gloves with something more protective and durable, hopefully without breaking the bank. Would be for street riding in central CA. Gets hot here in the summer but I tend to ride up into higher elevations. Probably gauntlet style for max protection and keeping the wind out of my sleeves when it gets gusty. Suggestions?

What's your budget? I just ordered a pair of Held Airstream IIs for summer riding ($175). They're a ventilated 3/4 gauntlet. Will let you know how they work once UPS gets them here from Philly.

If you're not looking for perforated/max breathability, I was pretty impressed with the Oxford RP-1s I tried on a couple of weeks ago. It's a full gauntlet race style glove, but would be hard to beat for the price at $110.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Schroeder91 posted:

I wonder if it's possible to get something to shove in the boot to stretch the leather? Is that even a thing?

https://www.amazon.com/Shoekeeper-Wooden-Stretcher-Stretch-Spray/dp/B00YT5PF66

Those work on regular leather shoes and boots, but they might not do much for riding boots since they have a reinforced toe

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pokie posted:

So no one has the Dainese Super Rider D-Dry Jacket in stock. Any other recommendations for max air summer jacket? Only needs to be 1 season.

I ordered a Rukka AirAll that just showed up today. My initial impression is very positive. The Cordura AFT has a soft hand to it, the D3O armor is substantive (I ordered the full back protector to go with it), the stitching/zippers/etc. are all done very well. Comes with a 3/4 zip to attach to the matching pants, also has a crotch strap to keep the jacket from riding up if you're not wearing the Rukka pants. You could probably loop the strap around your belt, too.

I am 6' 185lbs, 16 1/2 / 35 slim cut dress shirt, 42R slim cut suit coat, 32" pants waist. I ordered a size 50 in the AirAll. Fit isn't American boxy but it's not skin tight either. Arms are longish - the cuffs reach all the way up to the base of my thumb with gloves on under the sleeves. Waist is slightly longer than a sport fit motorcycle jacket, but it's not touring length. There's no waterproof liner with the AirAll; to get that you have to step up to the 4Air w/ a GoreTex liner. Wasn't worth another $400 to me.

Standing outside in 65 degree weather with a slight breeze, jacket on over a t-shirt, I can feel air moving through the whole thing. That's the point of the AFT fabric vs. the usual Cordura w/ mesh panels. I have no doubt the AFT trades abrasion resistance for airflow vs. regular Cordura, but it should hold up better than regular polyester mesh.

Once I've had it out on the bike in warmer weather I'll write a more substantial review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pokie posted:

That sounds interesting. I like that I can order it in white - what idiot decided that summer gear should be black?! How annoying are the extra long sleeves? Definitely want to hear about your longer term experience with it. For now I am just using my Icon Contra jacket that I got when starting out. Wearing actual leathers has become unbearable in 90+ heat.

Also I saw a review of this Klim jacket that seemed pretty good. https://fortnine.ca/en/klim-inducti...duction-jacket. Anyone have thoughts on that?

The arms aren't annoyingly long, they're just slightly longer than usual. They don't get in the way at all.

I was looking hard at the Induction too, but ended up going with the Rukka because every piece of Klim gear I've ever tried was cut too baggy through the middle. They're very popular with the ADVRider crowd.