Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

right arm posted:

transitions anything make you look like a Sex Rapist

What if it was anodized ktm orange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

I usually have headphones in anyway (though I do wonder if that's bad for my ears as they don't block the sound as much as ear plugs)

If you don't get really good isolation from them, yeah it is - you just end up cranking the audio to be louder than the wind noise and loving your ears over that way

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I only used Plexus until I tried it on a mirrored visor - works great on clear and tinted visors but it streaks the gently caress out of mirrored ones. Mild liquid soap = a+

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Horse Clocks posted:

[Edit] Do any glasses wearers have any tips for fogging in wet and cold environments?

Get LASIK. I never ever found anything I could put on my glasses that would keep them from fogging in a helmet when it was cold and/or wet, short of popping the visor a notch and dealing with my face being cold and/or wet, too. LASIK solved all of my vision-related problems (snark aside, it's seriously the best money I have ever spent).

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

SirLeigh posted:

For those of you who wear armor, what do you wear during the summer? I live in North Carolina, and I hate the heat, so I'd like to be protected but not completely melt.

Any of the Rukka Air* gear with Cordura AFT works great. Amazing airflow through the whole jacket/pants. Still hot if you're not moving though.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I love my Kriega bag on the bike, but it kinda sucks off the bike. The straps and clasp that are so good on the bike aren't so hot for walking around if that clasp isn't fastened.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
My winter riding gear is GoreTex but I used to pack around a set of Frog Toggs for summer rides. I had issues with them tearing from flapping in the wind and the crotch seams always leaked. Ended up buying a BMW rain suit (lol) when I saw one on clearance for $75. They're $160 retail.

Easy to get into with boots on, it hasn't ripped yet, and it doesn't leak, but it's plastic-coated nylon so it's swampy while you're in there. Packs up into a stuff sack about the size of a 1L nalgene.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

Why is that? Aren't rf1200 D ring for example?

I got my previous girlfriend an Arai, cool looking helmet but the visor system sucks compared to Shoei.

The GT air is not even close to the same internal shape as the RF-1200. It's pretty close to a long oval.

I'm cursed with a long oval head and the only helmets I've ever found that actually fit right are Arais.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Gloves always go on last as I invariably forget to fasten the chin strap, leave my key in my pocket, etc. etc.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Fifty Three posted:

So are you saying the GT Air is more round or more oval than the RF-1200?

My RF-1100 is old and I'd like something a little more oval than this is, which is already pretty oval afaik.

It's more oval. I had an RF-1100 too; the GT Air is pretty similar in the fit department, maybe a little more room in the forehead.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
If it's not GoreTex, eVent, or NeoShell, it won't breathe for poo poo and may not actually be waterproof. GoreTex is the only one of those I've actually seen in motorcycle gear except some eVent stuff made by the Mosko Moto guys. Pretty sure NeoShell isn't available as a membrane only; it's only sold as a shell fabric so you'll never see it in motorcycle applications. Too bad too, because it breathes ridiculously well.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

My Bell Qualifier is decent for what it cost, but I’m weighing the options of getting something more comfortable.

Is the RF1200 the go-to for that price point if it fits my dome well? I’m thinking a rough $500 budget.

RF1200 is a good helmet, but if you like your Bell the Star MIPS is pretty nice and is in the $500 ballpark. The Shoei may have slightly better fit and finish overall, but the Bell has solid features (photochromic visor, adjustable/removable pad at the top of the liner, the MIPS setup obviously). You should be fine either way if you get a good fit.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Just use an appropriately sized wall-mounted hook. If you don't want the hook compressing the liner at the back of the helmet, use a larger hook and put some pipe insulation around it or something.

Alternately, hang a shelf.

Unless this has to hang from a cubicle wall supported by nothing but velcro it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 26, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Schuberth is the only manufacturer I'm aware of that actually tests noise levels inside their helmets, and they're in the 85dB range which will still damage your hearing if you're exposed to those volumes for extended periods.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
It is (armored shorts), but usually for off-road.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Hmm, I got my dark smoke visor for the RF-1200 today and while I was transferring the pinlock insert I noticed that the fit is a little loosey goosey compared to my clear visor. The bottom didn’t really seal well until I physically adjusted the inserted pinlock up a little, at which point it seemed to seal. Hopefully this was just because the visor wasn’t on the helmet at the time, but I’m a little worried that the insert will slowly creep down. Will have to keep an eye on that.

Visors prepped for pinlock inserts usually have cammed tabs on the sides that you can rotate to adjust the way the insert fits against the visor - is that not the case with the one you have?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I've never had actual honest-to-god 3M VHB tape fail on me. I've had stuff labeled 3M VHB that was included with cheap Chinese knockoff stuff from Amazon/eBay fail so frequently that I bought a roll of the real stuff to replace it on future knockoff purchases.

Sagebrush, swap the hair dryer for a heat gun and pull a piece of dental floss behind the adhesive; might save you some scraping.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I say this pretty much every summer, but the hands-down best hot weather bike gear I have ever owned is the Rukka stuff made from Cordura AFT. Last I looked they make two versions, one moderately spendy that doesn't come with a goretex liner and :lol: :10bux: spendy that does. I have the cheaper stuff (AirAll, I think?) because zip-out waterproof liners are dumb.

Every mesh jacket/pants I've owned had big solid Cordura or leather panels in impact areas that didn't flow any air at all. The Cordura AFT stuff flows air everywhere, including the impact panels, and it makes an unbelievable difference in keeping you cool. I did 4 hours in the sun, 92F/33C, 50% humidity on Friday and wasn't even uncomfortable, much less miserable. I've done 12 hour days in it, mid-summer. You still sweat, but it doesn't feel like you're wearing your own personal sauna.

edit: AFT, not AFR

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 6, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Since our dumb planet isn’t getting colder in the summer I’m thinking I’ll order a replacement textile for the hot hot hot months.

Check out the Rukka AirAll/AirMain/4Air/StretchAir stuff, if you can get it in Canada

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Arson Daily posted:

Sunglasses + smoke visor ftw

Bingo. I have yet to find a dark smoke visor that's actually dark enough to require swapping it at night, much less dark enough to wear in full sun w/o shades underneath.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Arson Daily posted:

Do transitions visors work or do they make you look like the rear end in a top hat with transitions lenses on their glasses.

"Look at this guy, not wanting to carry two pairs of glasses around, what a dick!"

OR

"Look at this guy, spending another hundred bucks on the glasses he wears all day every day instead of spending $300 on prescription Oakleys that will sit in the car 80% of the time!"

I don't understand your argument, and I don't even wear glasses. Yes, the transitions visors work, but they take a minute both to get dark and fade to clear.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I just don't get the appeal of photochromatic glasses or visors - in both cases the real appeal of an automatic switch from light to dark is situations where you're going in an out of the sun quickly (e.g. going into a tunnel on a sunny day, or turning a corner into a low sun) and by the time they've changed your eyes will already have adjusted.

If - like welding masks - they could react *quicker* than the iris then I'd be all over that - riding in forests or cities where the sun can suddenly kapow you out of nowhere then leave you blind when you go back into shadow is a serious pain in the arse (and eyes).

They save you from carrying a spare visor around if you're riding both in the day and at night. Or, if you're light sensitive, you just use a smoked visor all of the time and wear sunglasses under it during the day.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 14, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Arson Daily posted:

Sunglasses look a certain way and regular glasses look a certain, different way. Trying to combine the two makes you look like a nerdlinger. Translations lenses on regular glasses are a lovely compromise and an inelegant solution to a problem. Translations visors for people who commute on a motorcycle and don't want to carry two visors is a different problem and I was curious to know if they were worth spending 150 bucks or whatever on one. Happy?

Fuckin' nerds, buy some BlueBlockerz

I liked the transitions lens that came on the Bell Star I tried out, but it didn't get dark enough. Plain old dark smoke visors aren't dark enough for me either, so :shrug:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

cakesmith handyman posted:

Helmet question. I'll do as the OP says and try/buy from a local shop but for a first helmet how much should I be budgeting? Any must-have features I should look out for? Brands to avoid or focus on?

E: just saw the new rider thread, I'll go there.

No need to go to the newbie thread for a helmet question, this is the right thread for it.

Budget-wise, decent helmets tend to start in the $300 US range unless they're on clearance. Arai, Shoei, AGV, Shark, Bell, HJC, Nolan, Scorpion are all good brands. Look for something with a Snell or ECE certification. Nice-to-have features are a Pinlock-ready visor lens (prevents fogging in cold/wet), a comfortable + removable liner, and the rest is honestly up to your preferences re: vents, paint, etc.

The main thing you're looking for is a good fit. When you find one you like, wear it around the shop for 10+ minutes to make sure it doesn't create any pain points/hot spots.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I have a pair of the TCX X-Cube Evo Air (what the gently caress is with that name) and TCX Mood Gore-Tex for wet/cold - the first looks like a pair of over-the-ankle driving shoes, the second like a pair of leather Chucks. They have malleolus protection, but beyond that there is no serious protection for your ankles.

Trade-off between off-the-bike comfort and protection. If I was deathly afraid of broken ankles I'd wear something like Dainese Torques or full on motocross boots that keep your ankles from flexing more than a few degrees and prevent them from rolling laterally at all. Usually I'd rather be able to walk like a normal human off the bike without carrying a pair of street shoes around.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Not sure if it was said previously in this thread or elsewhere, but actual, made-by-3M, VHB tape should not sag/fall off/fail. All bets are off with other brands of adhesive tape or knockoff poo poo sold on Amazon/elsewhere. Buy it at an actual hardware store. VHB 5952 is the general use, sticks-to-all-sorts-of-surfaces, works-in-all-temperatures stuff.

Variants of 3M VHB are used for glazing the windows in skyscrapers. It can and will hold your GoPro mount.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 30, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Yes, they will price match for in stock items.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

... my biggest demand is decent quality speakers.

Cut up a pair of Koss Porta-Pros and plug them in via a Sena headphone adapter cable, or use earbuds. There's no such thing as decent quality helmet speakers; they're all varying grades of crap, and they still have to compete with poor placement in your helmet and a shitload of road noise.

FWIW I have one of the Cardo JBL packtalk sets, and compared to the non-JBL version it's just a tiny bit better. Cardo charges like $85 for those speakers separately. A $15 pair of Koss headphones sounds just as good if not better.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

kloa posted:

Well, everything I was reading about helmet lifespan mentioned the 5 years of life said something about the EPS foam degrading/hardening and becoming brittle, and to check if the black paint on the foam was coming off or not. Maybe some bicycle stuff was getting mixed in with my motorcycle helmet search :shrug:

I just noticed some cracking on what I thought was the EPS part below, meaning it's shrinking and hardening.

Lots of helmets have that black coating on the interior EPS, and it will crack over time as the helmet is used, but it's not a definitive indicator that your helmet needs to be replaced. Pull the liner out and look for a manufacturing date somewhere on a sticker or on the strap/D-ring in the helmet. As an example, Arai helmets have the manufacturing date etched into the D-ring. My wife's Shoei has it printed on a label inside the chin bar.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As I can't find the post about selecting a helmet (and as there's a really dangerously wrong bit of advice about that in the OP) I'm gonna throw something together tonight/tomorrow.

"it's to lose" has been bugging me for loving years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

advrider be damned, this is the most concise helmet fitting explanation I've found so far.

I'm not sure that word means what you think it means

Great thread, incredible levels of detail, runs through 5+ posts across multiple pages