Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Any opinion on Nolan helmets, fitment in particular? Here is the one I want http://www.compacc.com/p/Nolan-N43E-Trilogy-Helmets-N-Com/1201002

I have 4 helmets, all except 1 are hand me downs, and none fit right. The last one, a full face Scorpion, I purchased myself, but it's huge in size, and the padding around the jaw is very uncomfortable. I also feel like if it wasn't for the padding, I could have gotten a size smaller, no problem. My head measures 22 1/2-3/4, which is right between the M and L on Nolan size chart. I've emailed the store, but would like to hear someone's unbiased opinion as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

chad4yew posted:

I use a L Nolan N90. I've got an oval head. Nolan was traditionally for round shaped heads, but they've shifted a bit to the oval or "neutral" shaped heads. I find that it fits my head well. I measure a 22 3/4. It could be a bit snugger on top, but I ratchet the chin strap an extra click. If it breaks in more, I might have to thicken up the padding on top - something to think about. I do find that after long rides (2hr +) my jaw aches. I've read that customer service will help out and send a thinner set of cheek pads for free or little cost if you ask. I also went from medium length hair to short so that could explain some extra room I'm feeling.

Seems like you like a snugger top, and don't want a clinching jaw. Medium with a thinner cheek pad?
It actually arrived couple of hours ago. I opted for a medium and not only does it fit well, there is more room than I originally anticipated. Looks like my head is a perfect shape for this thing, although thicker padding may work better in a long run.

Also, the helmet is making weird sounds. Like Styrofoam on plastic rubbing sounds when I move my head. Also, light creaking around the jay line, where detachment mechanism is. This shouldn't be normal, is it?

But god, the amount of vision is amazing. Especially with the chin part removed. This is the best helmet I've ever seen.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If you're looking at a JCruise, take a look at Nolan N43E, it does a nice transition from Lego spaceman to the real world. They are heavily discounted right now because the N44 model came out in the fall. You can snatch one for under 200.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just came here to post that Schubert C4 helmets are deeply discounted across all retailers. If you want a comfortable and quiet touring helmet, this is an amazing deal.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There is still available on eBay, but get ready to pay $40 shipping from Germany or whatever. Mine ended up $377, in medium. Intermediate oval is the shape, yes.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nitrox posted:

There is still available on eBay, but get ready to pay $40 shipping from Germany or whatever. Mine ended up $377, in medium. Intermediate oval is the shape, yes.
Received the helmet today, and it's actually preloaded with Sena speakers but has some kind of Shuberth proprietary connection for communication system 🙄. Not going to work for me, since I'm using a 10C. And apparently can't use their existing speakers at all. But if you don't have a comm system to swap, it's a really good start. Also got mine in a solid color because I'm an adult ffs. Clown colors are still available on eBay from the same seller, in medium at least.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Sounds like I bought the wrong thing, and now going to spent time removing the comms bullshit. Because the SC1 system cost way too much money compared to the Sena it's based on, which is one I already have. If that were to use the same plug, I would have just plugged my unit in, but no, they had to make their own.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Every single review says it works like crap, the buttons are pain to use and you basically have to buy all kinds of Sena poo poo to make it work. It also lacks some great Sena features like boosted audio.

Looks like it was just advertised wrong, I never meant to buy the pro version.

But the rest of the helmet is fantastic, it's huge in size, but very quiet and fits like a glove.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'd like to report that Hotpoint brand heated gloves, sold at cyclegear, are working great and actually have heating coils in all digits. Haven't used them in below freezing temperatures, but so far so good.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Freezing temperatures report.

Oxford heated grips vs Hotwired heated gloves.

Grips have 5 levels of adjustment and we only working well in top settings. I assume if you ride with gloves that aren't winter gloves, you'll feel them much better. However, they only heat the inside of your palm and that's just wasn't working in freezing temperatures. My thumb and pinky were getting numb, despite the palm getting sweaty from the heat.

Gloves had a near opposite effect. Most of the hearing coils were on top, however some coils ran along the fingers and kept the heat distribution more or less manageable. I didn't have cold spot, but the top of the glove is way hotter than it needs to be.

In the end I left both the gloves and grips on low setting and it was the best experience, while they worked together. If I were to choose one over the other, gloves win, no contest.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Good lord, 50 meters is a long way to go 😐

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I ride highways in upright position so never had a need for heavy duty motorcycle-specific backpacks. My go to pack is Ospray, it's a hiking brand that's extremely comfortable and 24" bag fits into overhead, so it doubles as my travel backpack. They are nicely padded and extremely comfortable because that's kinda important in a hiking world. 24" bag is enough for a week of clothes, but your experience may vary.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/farpoint-travel-pack-carry-on-40-FARPNT40_526.html

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 2, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
My new helmet arrived in the mail with pin lock already installed. It's definitely not installed correctly, and I saw humidity between the layers while riding through a rain storm. Not too much, but some. Should I take it apart and reapply?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Has anyone here been so bourgeois as to buy an airbag jacket/suit? If so, what are thoughts on it?
Somebody I know bought one like 3 years ago. Still wearing it, last I checked. It seemed just like a regular jacket with extra stuff attached.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nitrox posted:

My new helmet arrived in the mail with pin lock already installed. It's definitely not installed correctly, and I saw humidity between the layers while riding through a rain storm. Not too much, but some. Should I take it apart and reapply?
Oooookay. Turns out the "pinlock insert" is a piece of molded plastic, no rubber seal. When I took everything apart, it was actually scratching the surface of the visor. Schuberth is sending me a new visor and a new insert with the proper rubber seal. Turns out, they made a limited production run of this plastic garbage, and are now paying dearly for it. In fact, the rubber-sealed part is on backorder because of the demand. Not sure what cost-cutting genius have came up with that.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Looks like they're different setups of airbags. There is a reusable vest one with a CO2 cartridge or something like that for as low as $300. Can someone explain the difference between those deployment systems? Are they all reusable?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I just looked up your jacket, and it looks like it's going to move like five or six inch upwards when inflated in fraction of a second. And you complaining about not being able to attach it to your pants? It would either break your back, or give you the world's most violent wedgie

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I find dishwasher soap is the best. Usually available at you nearest gas station bathroom

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/sedici-bruno-gloves

I have about 15,000 miles on these and they're holding up amazingly well. The little vents on top actually draw some are in if positioned in the very specific way. Highly recommend

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

alnilam posted:

Is there good data about motorcycle fatality vs gear wearing? I know there's helmet vs no helmet data but what about all the rest?

Before anyone asks I'm very pro all the gear, I'd like to convince a friend to become the same way
tell your friend to drag his bare knuckles across the asphalt for like 3 seconds. Then ask him to do the same wearing gloves. I think he'll understand

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

On the other hand, there's something to be said for having someone experienced guide you through the buying process.

When I bought my first helmet I put on a L CL-17 and I was like "hey this is awesome, it feels great!" and then the guy asked me to shake my head and then laughed as he handed me a size S.

Granted I wouldn't make that mistake today so it's not really super relevant to this specific discussion but still useful for new riders.
I didn't get a properly fitted helmet until like helmet number three. First, nobody at the store cared enough to help me with a fitting, so I navigated the process all by my lonesome. The next helmet I ordered online, trying to get the size right with the measuring tape, and was still off. Yeah. Had to mess with padding and even melt some styrofoam at the worst contact point. Doesn't help, that the helmet shape is not clearly advertised on the label. and also the different manufacturers have different idea of what constitutes small medium or large.

This is why I RevZilla store was so revered, they actually had knowledgeable people being the counter, although I'm not sure if they still do with the new ownership. Cycle gear stores are a wash.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I bought a Shuberth precisely because of the noise reduction. It has been wonderful. Rode 4000 miles in Feb-March mostly highways. Used earplugs on long stretches on highway slab, listening to audiobooks with barely a humm in the background. Around town, and on short rides, I don't bother with earplugs. Still the quietest helmet I've ever used.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is that a thing? Armored leggings? The only thing I wear under my jeans is thermals in the winter, otherwise it's socks and underwear year round.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's what Sena supplies with it's 10c cameras. Still here after 4 years, no sign of moving

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Springfield Fatts posted:

Any recommendations on helmet cams? Not looking for anything fancy for vlogging, just something for insurance/ticket backup.
I'm using Sena 10c as a combination dashcam/Bluetooth communicator and it works okay. Purchased 4 of them for multiple people, had 2 replaced within a warranty period for various defects. The warranty is rather generous, 2 years, and customer/tech support is excellent. They have nicer versions of that system out now, each with more features and higher-quality video. Also has built in radio tuner, if that's your thing. About 20k miles in 3 years, still going.

You can also have a dual camera system hardmounted on your bike for like $100, which is fine, if you only riding one single motorcycle. Amazon is chuck full of those

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is he saying those jeans are better than mesh pants? I have a hard time believing that.

Also, does anyone make prescription goggles I can order online? I have prescription sunglasses, but I'd like to have some protection when the shield is up

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There is zero practical difference in what shape that camera is. And why do you need that camera mounted on top of the helmet? You can wear it like a police bodycam or just stash it behind your windscreen.

I have an older Sena 10c, not Evo or Pro. I keep it plugged in and loaded with 256Gig memory card. 4 years old, still running. Works great as a dash cam, which is what it's designed to do. Don't force it to be something it wasn't meant to.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I do recall watching a video, where earplugs were tested for effectiveness. And the ones you mold to shape, and re-use continuously, were rated the highest. The vendors at motorcycle events sell them for $50-75, but I'm sure you can buy it on Amazon for less.

If anyone can vouch for a brand, I'll probably buy a set for myself.

And other than your plugs, there are other ways to mitigate sound. Helmets get tested for sound penetration, I bought the quietest helmet I can afford, see my Shubert review few pages ago. Also, wearing a next scarf keeps the air from whistling around your neck and up into the helmet. And keeping wind away from your face really helps. If your windscreen isn't tall enough, you can get an extension for like 30 bucks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303008821411

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 13, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Do you have it in some default mode, where it's waiting for you to speak in order to transmit? Because the other mode is press button and it's an open connection from that point on. My friend had that problem and that was the solution.

I've used 5, 10 and 20 systems interchangeably in the same group and can't tell the difference. My major complaint are thin terrible speaker wires that begin to break inside their insulation jacket, cutting out sounds intermediately. Shouldn't have this problem for the amount of money I've spent, but here we are.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That looks amazing, considering that it fits into your average helmet

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Every helmet I ever had, looked exactly like that after 6 months of wear. Wouldn't worry about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

Think I might be due for some new gloves.

Don't text and ride