Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Kagari Mafia Ringleader and ray tracing EXPERT
Has anyone owned a pair of the Tourmaster Decker leather overpants? They are about $200 on New Enough, have CE-approved armor, are of full leather construction, and my current Alter Ego pants have become pretty useless because one of the side zippers failed for the second time.

After reading some after-crash reports of the Alter Ego pants, I'm itching to start moving to leather gear too. But I need the convenience of overpants since I wear them to work all the time. They look better than any other pair of leather overpants available, thanks to the CE armor, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

I think it was someone on these same forums that crashed in them a few months ago. He said they didn't really hold up at all, even in such a low speed fall (~25 mph I think), and still got rashed on his legs.

My main problem is the cheap construction. The seams come apart too easily and the side zippers are poo poo and break constantly if they get caught on the internal nylon flaps (which they always do), necessitating work by a tailor to repair.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Yeah, they'll probably be hot in the summer. I can deal with that. My shorts will just be sweaty when I take them off at the end of a trip. But if they are anything at all like the Alter Ego pants, putting them on and taking them off takes about 10 seconds.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Nope, it was someone else. But yeah, I'm too much of a pussy to buy more textile. I'm going leather with all my new gear, except for maybe super cold weather stuff.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Just ordered a pair of Tourmaster's Decker leather overpants, MotoGP RPM gloves (so I don't need to keep wearing my Winter Elites during summer), and a two-piece Tourmaster nylon rain suit from NewEnough. In a few weeks I should be able to give short reviews of some or all of these purchases.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Ok, I got some new gear today from New Enough.

- $199 Tourmaster Decker leather overpants: My Alter Ego textile pants gave me too many problems, and one of the side zippers broke for the second time, so I decided to retire them.

This is my first pair of leather pants. They probably weigh about 5-6 pounds. They are thick. They have excellent-quality and heavy YKK zippers that feel nice and solid. I disregarded the advice on New Enough and got a pair in the same size as the jeans I wear so they wouldn't be too loose. I probably should've taken their advice, but I think they will work out better this way because I've been losing some weight recently and they are already stretching a little and breaking in nicely.

I have a lot more confidence in the protection these offer too.

- ~$45 MotoGP RPM gloves: I needed some summer gloves to wear during warm weather, instead of my Winter Elite gloves. These gloves have incredible feel, even compared to my old lovely Joe Rocket summer gloves. They are also very comfortable in warm temps. We'll see how they hold up over time, but they are leather, so they should last.

- $50 Tourmaster two piece nylon rainsuit: I really needed one of these, but I haven't gotten to test it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Honestly, I haven't worn them much yet. I noticed that the hip pads make the fit pretty snug on me, but I haven't encountered any bunching up.