Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
On the whole Icon thing: I have the Daytona jacket and its very sturdy. The shoulder and forearm armor are nice, although the back pad is junk. Not sure about their other gear.

Can anyone recommend some gloves? I've been looking at A* and Held. This is just for street use. The Joe Rocket shorties I have are pretty cheap, I'd just like something better.

Tremblay fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

pr0zac posted:

Misunderstood me, I don't have the Phoenix jacket, I've got another cheaper Joe Rocket mesh jacket (the Rio, I finally figured out what it was called) that I'd like to replace with something that feels better made. I was wondering if the Phoenix (or any other mesh jacket else) actually feels like a well made piece of protective gear, which you actually kind of answered for me so thank you. :) And yeah, I was being sarcastic about going squid.

I think it will hold up OK in a crash (I have the Phoenix), certainly better than nothing. I don't think you'll be able to find a mesh jacket that you'll feel all that great about. I much prefer my leather, but even with the vents and perforations its just too drat hot here.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
Good to know. I usually wear a longsleeve under it. I'm just afraid of a higher speed get off. I've had to pick melted plastic out of my skin before and it sucks.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
Sorry for a semi double post but I'm shopping for another set of pants and a pair of boots. I was thinking Sidi Verts for boots and was wondering if anyone here had a pair and/or alternate recommendations? For pants I already have the Alpinestars cargo pants but those don't work well as over pants. Again suggestions?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Braincloud posted:

Finally decided to upgrade my Gaerne boots (with chunks missing on the toes from dragging them on the pavement due to boredom while slabbing).

All ordered up and awaiting my new:

Sidi Vertigos...

Oh god i can't wait.

I have these. Very nice boots, and pretty comfy. They take a little getting used to but other than that. *shrug The little side vents work just so so, my feet tend to get pretty sweaty in them

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Pimping Giraffe posted:

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I am going out west with Thelonious in about 3 weeks and would like a pair of riding pants. Sadly I really am going to be strapped for cash, and 100 dollars shipped is the most I can spend on a pair.

What kind should I look for? Should I get a pair of regular leather pants and not wear jeans under them? Should I get a pair of overpants? If anyone has any suggestions in this meager and crappy price range please let me know. It's not much but at least it'll be a bit extra between myself and the pavement if something should happen.

Other than checking out closeouts on the sites mentioned in this thread good luck. You'll probably have a hard time getting into leathers for that price. I've got some Alpinestars cargos that are pretty much new. Let me know if you are interested.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Uthor posted:

I don't think my boots are tall enough to stop that. It looks like a strap above the knee would help a lot.

The biggest issue isn't impact protection its abrasion protection.

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't wear moto pants when commuting, but I ride pretty much everyday. I just can't find overpants that are worth a poo poo.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
Since there was boot chat recently. I took a look at the Forma Adventures, and they look nice. I'm not sold on the molded sole however. Anyone have experience with the Terra Evo?

https://www.formabootsusa.com/collections/dual-sport-adv-boots/products/terra-evo-brown

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What is it about the molded sole you don't like?

My expectation is that the stitched sole on the Evo would be a little stiffer. Also easier to re-sole. It looks like a decent boot, don't get me wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Just curious. My Salomon hiking boots have an identical sole to the Forma Adventures, and there was basically no breakin time. I also have a pair of Gaerne adventure boots with a stitched sole and they're not really much stiffer. I'm not sure what the material is, but the option is there to replace them with vibram or something stiffer when the time comes.

I'll probably pull the trigger, looks like new enough still does super easy returns.